ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Taggert

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
Check this out. The guy didn't even sign an actual contract. He could potentially lose his $18M buyout as a result.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I work with high dollar contracts on the regular so this is just mindblowing stupidity on everyone involved. Do they not have anyone that reviews contracts for official approval?

There must be more incompetent AD's out there than anyone could ever guess.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Bob Sugar better be praying that FSU pays Taggert or else Bob may get stuck with the bill. That being said, as long as the buyout was fairly clear from negotiations (and I'm betting there is a "final draft" floating around out there) I doubt this turns into anything.

A signed contract definitely makes it cut-and-dry, but he'll definitely get paid something at some point. Now, FSU could drag it out and "force" Taggert to get a real job thereby minimizing the payout.

If he (or anyone else) was stupid enough not to sign a contract then he deserves exactly nothing in his buyout. And the agent or lawyer who handled his negotiations and paperwork never ought to be allowed to work again. Pure incompetence. And no wonder he can't coach worth a damn if he isn't even smart enough to sign a contract with those kind of big bucks involved. RollingLaugh

That was as strange of a hire as I can remember in recent memory in CFB, so kudos to FSU for recognizing their mistake and moving on. It also makes it easier when it is one of the premier jobs in all of CFB for a variety of reasons...4 and 5 star recruits in their backyard being one. They will have zero trouble getting a top name there, regardless of how this contract plays out with Taggert, because the next coach and his agent will be more than happy to sign the actual contract and make it all nice and legal. It will be a non issue, but it looks bad right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT