ADVERTISEMENT

Will you travel to Minnie to watch the Huskers....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is the most ridiculous thing ever. Good luck Minneapolis.

Imagine you own some cabins by a cool lake and depend almost entirely on vacation season/tourists to make it, are people going to want to travel to a state where they can be the target of a crime and expect no police protection? Of course not. Slowly but surely, the undesirables will take over, and good people will leave or never visit in the first place, business's will go belly up or just shut their doors after they are held up, and no police are there to help. Is Minnesota going to turn over the duty to maintain law and order to Antifa? I feel like I wake up smack dab in the middle of the Twilight Zone black and white TV show sometimes.

Imagine you own some cabins by a cool lake and depend almost entirely on vacation season/tourists to make it, are people going to want to travel to a state where they can be the target of a crime and expect no police protection? Of course not. Slowly but surely, the undesirables will take over, and good people will leave or never visit in the first place, business's will go belly up or just shut their doors after they are held up, and no police are there to help. Is Minnesota going to turn over the duty to maintain law and order to Antifa? I feel like I wake up smack dab in the middle of the Twilight Zone black and white TV show sometimes.

Exactly, I feel bad for the business owners in Minneapolis and the state for that matter. I am a huge KC Royals fan and wanted to catch a game up there in the near future. Now, I don't care if I ever step foot in that state again.

Weak liberal leadership will be their undoing, let them reap what they sow.

Reactions: bshirt73
I’m a Twins fan too and this pisses me off, who ever heard of disband or underfund a police department and still keep a cilvil city without any law and order..

Reactions: jlgformk
I’m a Twins fan too and this pisses me off, who ever heard of disband or underfund a police department and still keep a cilvil city without any law and order..
It's been done before. Camden, New Jersey and Compton, California. There's not going to be "no police" it's about defunding a corrupt and out of control force. Get a grip you guys, there will be law enforcement.

Just think of everyday driving with no one to enforce the law. How many speeders, people running lights, and worse of all impaired drivers. It's not good, once that first domino falls, look out. The Purge!

Just think of everyday driving with no one to enforce the law. How many speeders, people running lights, and worse of all impaired drivers. It's not good, once that first domino falls, look out. The Purge!

They will continue to fund all revenue generating police activities.

There is nothing as dependable as a lib politician's cold clutching claw on your wallet.

Take that to the bank.

Go Blue!

Personally I will never set foot in any major city without a police force for any reason. I will only travel through the airport if I have to for getting to another destination. No police = no man's land for me

Others can do as they please.

Did you watch the rioting the past few weeks?
Without police or significantly reduced police that will look very common place in Minnesota.

People....

For all the griping some of you make about the media, you sure seem quick to focus on the word "abolish" which is being used by the media....

Basically, law enforcement in Minneapolis is going to be broken down and built back up under a different model....and not done overnight. It doesn't mean there will be no public safety body in Minneapolis ever again.

As far as U of M goes, I'll bet anyone dollars to donuts that they either contract with some other law enforcement body, such as Hennepin County Sheriffs, St. Paul Police Department, or other neighboring city/county law enforcement, etc., or the increase the size and scope of their campus police force.

And, as someone posted.....we should probably worry more about the 2020 game in Lincoln before worrying about 2021 in Minneapolis.

Last edited:
good article and all but toward the bottom of the city lab article it really speaks more of the truth, talking about how yes the reform may help but the data is too young, meaning there isn’t a long enough sample size... the results may be just a blip on the radar...

while I do think it’s important to point out that disbanding/ defunding doesn’t mean that there will not be any police, it’s also important to point out that just as the article states it can mean more police at a cheaper rate... I find it hard to believe that sustainable success be had by hiring more and paying them less. Let’s face it money drives nearly everyone’s actions and if you start paying cops less to the point of where they can’t make a living then it’s more likely that they can be “bought”.

I do hope that positive change can be made through all of this. I hope that one day if another incident like Mr. Floyd’s happens, it’s not a race thing, I hope it’s just a wrong thing... I hope that the “cops” responsible for it are held accountable for their actions just like anyone else would be... Our country is at a pivotal point right now and we cannot over react and swing the gates too far in either direction. Too much reform can handcuff our society the same way that no reform can....

Camden homicides 2012 - 67
Camden homicides 2019 - 25

https://www.newsweek.com/minneapolis-not-first-disband-police-department-1509327

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/camde...icles/camden-sees-crime-drop-over-past-decade

“As far as the change that has taken place, the number one difference is resources,” Camden County Police Chief Joe Wysocki told TAPinto Camden. “Cops count and police matter, so by almost doubling the amount of officers on the street that has given us a much larger footprint to focus on community engagement and creating a dialogue with residents that has been missing for decades in the city.”

In 2013, the city of Camden disbanded its 140+ year police force and formed a new department with the county.

In the immediate, the shift meant the hiring of more officers, and thus a heavier presence in local neighborhoods. That year the force went from 268 officers to 418.

Today, that figure rounds out at about the same.

“When we dismantled the existing department and worked with Gov. Chris Christie, President [of the New Jersey Senate] Steve Sweeney, and Mayor Dana Redd, it was a matter of knowing we needed to change tactics,” said Freeholder Director Louis Cappelli. “At the time there were reports saying we were worse than some Third World Countries.

“Today residents feel much safer and recognize that our officers aim to act as guardians and not warriors,” he added.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your calm & sensible viewpoints SO FAR. Let's keep linking valid articles and providing your opinions.

Learning, listening and understanding each other will help heal the wounds, eventually.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Another unadvertised outcome of defunding police departments and renegotiating their role is busting the unions representing the officers. That rarely shows up in print articles.

just like coronavirus, i'm not worried about this with regards to my personal safety

I'd go to a twins game tomorrow

Reactions: cornhustler
Nope, I will be too busy jumping to irrational conclusions and reading only headlines.

Sort of like just reading the headlines in these articles?

Basically the number of lives lost has gone down. That is great news.

However, according to the article, the number of violent crimes is still high, the new police jobs went to people that live in the suburbs, there is an insinuation, in one of the articles, that they are going to white males. There is still a bit of mistrust because these new police are big enough in numbers that they just watch.

I would like to see a study on the murders and violent crimes in Philly, or any of the neighboring NJ suburbs like Cherry Hill or Burlington and how they have trended since the 2013 revamping. Is the crime just moving?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Hell yeah I'd go. Wow so much fear on this board. I thought all of you have lots of guns. This should be a dream come true for you guys. Guess you all need the boys in blue to hold your hands. #fraidycats #CrispusAttucks #GBR #books

Place was a mess a year ago. I was in a group of 5 males downtown a mile from the convention center and was told by our waitress that walking back the mile at 10 PM was not a wise decision. This was after a random guy off the street interrupted our dinner, was told to leave by the waitress, and then sat at a nearby booth loudly calling her the magic C word until the police were called.

Think there will be ebaevall this year? I cannot believe they can't figure this out. They should be playing now
sadly, I do not. this is the strike that was imminent until a new CBA, anyway, and you can see why with every slap in the face offer the owners make to the players.

What Camden did is not what the Black Visions organizers are demanding in Minneapolis.

"This is the beginning of the process of putting together a “police-free future,” they vowed, by investing in more community initiatives like mental health and having community members respond to public safety issues."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT