Will we have fully electric cars/grids in your lifetime?

BigCL24

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 28, 2016
I have an electric car here in San Diego and the charging situation is super easy. I have a ton of solar panels on the house that overproduce so I can charge the car at any time practically for free. It came with a wall mounted charger and I had a buddy help me install the 240w power outlet for it. I just plug it in at night or whenever and I'm done, no more pumping gas.

what's your typical "range" after a full night's charge? Could you comfortably make a 2-3 day road trip?

Heff'skers

Walk On
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
what's your typical "range" after a full night's charge? Could you comfortably make a 2-3 day road trip?
I have a Taycan and it has a range of ~260 miles so no 2-3 day long road trips for me yet. I have taken it to Santa Barbara and back from San Diego and stopped at an in-network (free) super charging station in Orange County on the way home to juice it up. It took about 15 minutes to get to 80% charged and was in a parking lot next to a Starbucks. I just grabbed a coffee, read a few threads on RSS and was back on my way...worked out great!

Last edited:

zar45

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
I just can't see the widescale benefits being cost effective yet, although I've read the new battery technologies are quite amazing.

My uneducated guess is that by 2031 we'll see half of new car sales fully electric, by 2036 we'll have adequate nationwide infrastructure.

husker shoe

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
I just can't see the widescale benefits being cost effective yet, although I've read the new battery technologies are quite amazing.
The big issue that nobody talks about is raw materials. Such as lithium, copper, rare earth minerals and many more especially if the rest of the world builds on the same scale. China has cornered the market on rare earth minerals and the other minerals just aren’t available for a world wide buildout. The whole idea is ridiculous and unnecessay. Part of the Great Reset that Biden endorses.

Reactions: BigCL24

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
The big issue that nobody talks about is raw materials. Such as lithium, copper, rare earth minerals and many more especially if the rest of the world builds on the same scale. China has cornered the market on rare earth minerals and the other minerals just aren’t available for a world wide buildout. The whole idea is ridiculous and unnecessay. Part of the Great Reset that Biden endorses.

Feasibility is often the last consideration for politicians

Reactions: NU5XNO1

Wils97

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2006
Omaha, NE USA
My brother and parents drive electric. It’s really great and I am envious. The 2-3 day roadies are rare for most people…few times a year. You might be different, and for you electric may not be the best option. For most, it’s really ideal. My brother rents a car for those long trips and still comes way out on top of it all.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
The big issue that nobody talks about is raw materials. Such as lithium, copper, rare earth minerals and many more especially if the rest of the world builds on the same scale.
People talk about it constantly.

A ton of research, VC's, etc are all looking at alternative materials to make out of batteries, I imagine something will pan out eventually. But for now, sure. We're pretty dependent on not great places to get raw materials, but that applies to everything because everything has a battery right now.

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
My brother and parents drive electric. It’s really great and I am envious. The 2-3 day roadies are rare for most people…few times a year. You might be different, and for you electric may not be the best option. For most, it’s really ideal. My brother rents a car for those long trips and still comes way out on top of it all.

more of a hypothetical. If it’s that kind of trip me and the kiddo are 99% flying

Reactions: Wils97

zar45

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 13, 2016
The grid would need to be increased by 25% over the span of 40-50 years. We'd be fine. Yes, if everyone switched tomorrow it would be bad. But that's not a real scenario.

25%? My back of the napkin calculation shows between 40%-60% expansion to replace all existing fossil fuel driven vehicles.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
25%? My back of the napkin calculation shows between 40%-60% expansion to replace all existing fossil fuel driven vehicles.
Here's a great breakdown:

I did the math on here before, but basically if you configure the miles/kwh you're looking at about 1.25 trillion kwh for the average driver to go 13,500 miles.

We're at 4.1T kwh right now.

EDIT: That's with current technology. As efficiency goes up, the amount of energy required to replace the fleet goes down.

It's not crazy unrealistic to think we could get a 20% gain in efficiency in the next 2-3 decades, now you would only need a 20% increase in production output.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCL24 and zar45

NU24MIA17

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2017
Depends on how much taxation will be used to subsidize. If the country goes total electric and solar, say bye bye to your hard earned dollars.
Considering the massive risks of climate change and all the other companies and members here who receive subsidies, it's funny how going electric is just too much.
They have no power to stop it if it's feasible. We're well past that point.
Oil companies have been holding back green energy and the free market most of you say you love so much, but sure, they have no power.

Reactions: SniperGhost

Huskerlife39

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Omaha, NE
nuclear energy seems to be the way to go but Chernobyl has people scared we'll all die
No, Chernobyl was a second rate Russian piece of crap facility. What people are afraid of is Fukashima (sp), a technologically superior plant that should have been providing power for decades to come but was destroyed by something completely unpredicted.

hrslammers

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 22, 2004
No. Infrastructure doesn’t exist for it. There is not enough electricity that can be generated for all electric cars. I’m 66 and will be shocked if anything like that happens in my lifetime.

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
No, Chernobyl was a second rate Russian piece of crap facility. What people are afraid of is Fukashima (sp), a technologically superior plant that should have been providing power for decades to come but was destroyed by something completely unpredicted.
I would guess 99% of people don't know what the latter is (myself included) ... but damn the Chernobyl show was good/scary

Huskerlife39

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Omaha, NE
My uneducated guess is that by 2031 we'll see half of new car sales fully electric, by 2036 we'll have adequate nationwide infrastructure.
Not unless a certain portion of the population is willing to let us develop new electrical generation plants. We simply dont have the electrical generation resources to power all these new electric cars. Hell, we don't even have enough electrical power for our homes at times.

Reactions: BigCL24 and zar45

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
I’m literally re-watching the HBO series Chernobyl right now…at this very moment. Lol. We’re gluttons for nuclear punishment.

such a good series ... honestly haunting

Reactions: Wils97

Huskerlife39

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2006
Omaha, NE
25% may only cover the increased generation needs for a rapidly expanding population without electric vehicles. I think your still being generous thinking we will only need to increase generation 40-69%.

Reactions: burntorange72

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana

NU24MIA17

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2017
Did they slow down things a little early on? Probably. Do they still possess the power to slow down the process? No.
I wish you were right, but why isn't a Green New Deal with bipartisan support being passed yesterday? Lobbying influences politicians and media members who then influence people like us. People on here will lose their minds at GND, but why? Oil companies are staying alive and squeezing every last dollar out of their original business model through influential money to politicians and propaganda news channels. People here don't believe in climate change, there's only one reason why.

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2018
So here's my question........let's play hypothetical here and say Biden loses re-election and a Republican gains back the oval office. Heck, Biden or another liberal gets re-election so they're in office for 8 years, then a Republican gains it back before the turn of the next decade........what happens to the electric movement then? I could be wrong but aren't Republicans against the move to electric vehicles? And if that's true, then technically if a Republican is nominated back into office before the turn of the decade, then he/she could just squash all this electric vehicle talk and it's all back to square one?

nhajek

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2004
Sounds like the same problem people were worrying about when they were running out of whales for their whale oil lamps. History has shown us that innovation solves these problems.

Reactions: NU24MIA17

nhajek

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2004
So here's my question........let's play hypothetical here and say Biden loses re-election and a Republican gains back the oval office. Heck, Biden or another liberal gets re-election so they're in office for 8 years, then a Republican gains it back before the turn of the next decade........what happens to the electric movement then? I could be wrong but aren't Republicans against the move to electric vehicles? And if that's true, then technically if a Republican is nominated back into office before the turn of the decade, then he/she could just squash all this electric vehicle talk and it's all back to square one?
Look at how many more electric vehicles are on the road now than were 4 years ago and this occurred during a Republican presidency. This electric vehicle thing is long past being a Republican versus Democrat thing.

E cars are here to stay although it will be many years before we're done with gas.

Jaddy2020

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2006
If the US doesn’t figure out that this is the future…someone else will. They’ll get there first. The Chinese, the Europeans, India…they are much more serious about investing money in this development than we are at the moment.

Charging, storage, collection…these are all frontiers to be overcome. Cleaner, faster, and better breakthroughs are inevitable.
We should let them invest and do all the work to make it viable, then steal all the technology from them. Work smarter, not harder.

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
We should let them invest and do all the work to make it viable, then steal all the technology from them. Work smarter, not harder.

they've done it to us for 1,000 years, time to repay the favor

Reactions: Jaddy2020

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2018
Look at how many more electric vehicles are on the road now than were 4 years ago and this occurred during a Republican presidency. This electric vehicle thing is long past being a Republican versus Democrat thing.

E cars are here to stay although it will be many years before we're done with gas.
That's a good point. Do you think it slows down or speeds up at all given whose in office?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
I wish you were right, but why isn't a Green New Deal with bipartisan support being passed yesterday? Lobbying influences politicians and media members who then influence people like us. People on here will lose their minds at GND, but why? Oil companies are staying alive and squeezing every last dollar out of their original business model through influential money to politicians and propaganda news channels. People here don't believe in climate change, there's only one reason why.
Not to start a political debate, but the New Green Deal is not close to having bi-partisan support. It doesn't have 100% support in the Dem Party.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
25% may only cover the increased generation needs for a rapidly expanding population without electric vehicles. I think your still being generous thinking we will only need to increase generation 40-69%.
What the 25% number is for is "what would switching the current population over today do"

Of course there's going to be normal increases just based on population growth

Latest posts