Will we have fully electric cars/grids in your lifetime?

BigCL24

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 28, 2016
I just can't see the widescale benefits being cost effective yet, although I've read the new battery technologies are quite amazing.

Redd Webster

Recruiting Coordinator
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2004
Lots of changes.
* No large family encyclopedia in the house to do reports
* No Wall phone with Dad yelling at you if it is a long distance call.
* Rabbit ears to cable to streaming with rabbit ears.
* Being able to communicate with someone across the world in a touch of a button.

Lots of changes. Would not be surprised what comes next.

Pueblodoc

Senior
Gold Member
May 27, 2014
You would have to figure out how to charge the battery faster. No one is going to want to wait an hour to charge because there's a line st every charging station. All day trips would be even more miserable.

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
You would have to figure out how to charge the battery faster. No one is going to want to wait an hour to charge because there's a line st every charging station. All day trips would be even more miserable.

this Is my biggest hold up what if I got the kids in the car

Reactions: Jim14510

Huskerbeast

Defensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Apr 13, 2014
If so you’ll see what happened in Texas this winter be very common.
You’ll essentially have to have dual power sources available. The fossil fuel portion will have to be on standby at all times and not be under built like it was in Texas. It will have to support the whole power load if called upon. And if that is necessary I’m sure all the other infrastructure won’t be ready.
will have to have a huge amount of coal and gas on standby to support the demand. I just don’t see how it would work.
Maybe with Nuclear plants on standby but the cost of the whole set up will be more than double what they’re doing now. It’s going to be expensive as Hell!

HUSKER10

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2002
The next big issue will be disposing of the millions of batteries and solar panels.

Also, the Feds will do a study that finds the batteries emit some sort of toxic chemical or something like that. No matter what the forward progress we make, congress uses the same playbook to create public concern. That concern makes money and divides the political parties. I hate to say that but it's the reality.

To answer the question, yes we will be entirely reliant on non-fossil fuel energy at some point. I personally do not think it will be solar or battery. It will be something like Nuclear Fusion to create large sums of energy. Certainly won't be in my lifetime and unfortunately, we will exchange one problem with another problem.

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
Probably not before I die. But flying cars will maybe, eventually be a thing. It doesn't really affect me, so I don't have a serious response to it.

Reactions: BigCL24

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
Lots of changes.
* No large family encyclopedia in the house to do reports
* No Wall phone with Dad yelling at you if it is a long distance call.
* Rabbit ears to cable to streaming with rabbit ears.
* Being able to communicate with someone across the world in a touch of a button.

Lots of changes. Would not be surprised what comes next.

video games that we download from the sky instead of buying at the store in cartridges

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
The next big issue will be disposing of the millions of batteries and solar panels.

Also, the Feds will do a study that finds the batteries emit some sort of toxic chemical or something like that. No matter what the forward progress we make, congress uses the same playbook to create public concern. That concern makes money and divides the political parties. I hate to say that but it's the reality.

To answer the question, yes we will be entirely reliant on non-fossil fuel energy at some point. I personally do not think it will be solar or battery. It will be something like Nuclear Fusion to create large sums of energy. Certainly won't be in my lifetime and unfortunately, we will exchange one problem with another problem.

nuclear energy seems to be the way to go but Chernobyl has people scared we'll all die

aksarben77

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2016
Depends on how much taxation will be used to subsidize. If the country goes total electric and solar, say bye bye to your hard earned dollars.

• Haha
Reactions: nelsonj22

Zagsker87

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2018
What about spare batteries that you could exchange? Would that solve long trip issues? I’m speaking with close to zero knowledge of cars or engineering experience….maybe a dumb thought

Reactions: zar45 and BigCL24

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
I LOL at wind powering our whole country

tenor.gif

Wils97

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2006
Omaha, NE USA
If the US doesn’t figure out that this is the future…someone else will. They’ll get there first. The Chinese, the Europeans, India…they are much more serious about investing money in this development than we are at the moment.

Charging, storage, collection…these are all frontiers to be overcome. Cleaner, faster, and better breakthroughs are inevitable.

Nebraska Squid

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2001
I hope not. Cost (Car, battery, electricity, repair and time) is just going to be another thing that takes away from my retirement.

cwessel76

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2015
If the US doesn’t figure out that this is the future…someone else will. They’ll get there first. The Chinese, the Europeans, India…they are much more serious about investing money in this development than we are at the moment.

Charging, storage, collection…these are all frontiers to be overcome. Cleaner, faster, and better breakthroughs are inevitable.
100% agree. We don’t invest in our future anymore and it will eventually come back to bite us in the ass.

Reactions: Wils97 and BigCL24

cwessel76

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2015
Fully?

That's going to take 40-50 years and I'm 42... so who knows

Mostly?

Absolutely
I can see decent chunks of some suburbs being mostly to fully electric within 20 years. I have zero evidence to back that up but if certain tax credits are applied (shocker coming from me!) I can see the appeal.

Reactions: BigCL24

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
Fully?

That's going to take 40-50 years and I'm 42... so who knows

Mostly?

Absolutely

I guess that is another question, what does "fully" electric mean? It'll take a decade for people to get completely comfortable hitting the road without gas in the tank

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
You would have to figure out how to charge the battery faster.
That's definitely coming. There's a lot of promising stuff out there.

However, I do want to point out that unless you drive long distances a lot, you'll spend less time (over a year) charging your vehicle than you will putting gas in your car because it refuels at night while you're sleeping.

I've taken a long trip in one and if you plan a stop for a meal it doesn't even seem like a big deal.

But yeah, all that being said, it's prob still the biggest hurdle.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
I guess that is another question, what does "fully" electric mean? It'll take a decade for people to get completely comfortable hitting the road without gas in the tank
Yeah if you mean "completely replace the fleet of cars" then that just takes a long time and people will still ave the option of buying new gas cars for at least 15-20 years.

It's probably 2 decades after gas cars are no longer available that the fleet is completely replaced.

cwessel76

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2015

However, I do want to point out that unless you drive long distances a lot, you'll spend less time (over a year) charging your vehicle than you will putting gas in your car because it refuels at night while you're sleeping.

I've taken a long trip in one and if you plan a stop for a meal it doesn't even seem like a big deal.

Do you own a Tesla? If so I am curious about the home charging situation. With my wife in the military and us moving frequently I am worried about getting the charging situation figured out every 3 years.

rss428

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Apr 12, 2017
The technology is already in the works. There's an Australian company making new batteries that are supposedly nearly impervious to temperature changes and will charge at much higher rates. The only downside is I believe they have a slightly lower capacity than the lithium batteries we have now.

Reactions: nelsonj22

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
Do you own a Tesla? If so I am curious about the home charging situation. With my wife in the military and us moving frequently I am worried about getting the charging situation figured out every 3 years.
I don't...I have 6 kids (4 still in the house) so the electric options really aren't there yet for me (and I really prefer to buy used).

But one of my closest friends does and we took a trip to Colorado and it was pretty manageable.

Home charging is about a $500-1000 investment (mostly dependent on your panel setup) and not terribly ridiculous

But you can always charge on a traditional 110 too, it's just slow and you'll only recoup 30 miles overnight or so (more if you leave it 5pm - 8am or whatever)

Last edited:

Jaemekon

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2007
The technology is already in the works. There's an Australian company making new batteries that are supposedly nearly impervious to temperature changes and will charge at much higher rates. The only downside is I believe they have a slightly lower capacity than the lithium batteries we have now.

Graphene?

umpy69er

Walk On
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2014
not sure the big oil companies will let it happen anytime soon but I'd say in 50 years its possible if people can afford them

Reactions: NU24MIA17

Frosted Szn

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
I'll go ahead and say no. I just don't see how you get past the bottle neck of cost and time versus gas powered vehicles. I'm probably wrong, but I think we continue to see gas powered vehicles into the 2030s and maybe longer.

Lovethehuskers

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2016

They need to find a way to charge on a 110 outlet and make it fast.
Not everyone can afford to put in new outlets. Hell they had to give away free tv antennas because people couldn't afford new tvs. IMO

Reactions: Jim14510

tkdkicks3d

All-American
Gold Member
1) US power grid is to fragile to support anything remotely close to 1/2 of a regular cars let along commercial.
2) Battery duration and charging time are major limiting factors. It may work in the cities and commuters but for individuals who drive longer distances this is a no go.
3) Commercial trucking and farming are two major road blocks to an all electric grid.
4) As many stated above, unless the US embraces nuclear energy or every home has a solar grid this is not going to be an option.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
1) US power grid is to fragile to support anything remotely close to 1/2 of a regular cars let along commercial.
The grid would need to be increased by 25% over the span of 40-50 years. We'd be fine. Yes, if everyone switched tomorrow it would be bad. But that's not a real scenario.

3) Commercial trucking and farming are two major road blocks to an all electric grid.
Commercial will go electric way before consumers. Farming you're probably right.

4) As many stated above, unless the US embraces nuclear energy or every home has a solar grid this is not going to be an option.
Not sure about that, but I am a pro nuclear guy for sure.

Heff'skers

Walk On
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2010
I have an electric car here in San Diego and the charging situation is super easy. I have a ton of solar panels on the house that overproduce so I can charge the car at any time practically for free. It came with a wall mounted charger and I had a buddy help me install the 240w power outlet for it. I just plug it in at night or whenever and I'm done, no more pumping gas.