ADVERTISEMENT

Will the SEC play

red scowl

Senior
May 19, 2018
and pay a few conferences like the sun belt to play a season. I've come to the conclusion that the SEC is all for consensus, until it isn't what they want.

I have no links. I'm just free thinking. I think they will at least pull the Big 12. I think the SEC leads the charge for an on time season. What do you know?

I think we will probably see a 4/5ths consensus among the P5.

I'm hopeful for a full season, but I'm not convinced the season will start on time. I could see the P5 conferences compromise by eliminating their OOC games and moving everyone's bye up to before the season. By doing that you've pushed the season back a month and it has little impact on the playoff unless you're a team like Oregon (that has Ohio State scheduled for Sep. 12) that likely needs a signature OOC win to get an invite.

Speaking of Oregon, the Pac-12 is by all accounts already an afterthought in the playoffs, so if they really don't want to play so be it. I don't know what the NCAA would say, but the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big XII are likely going to be playing games even if the Pac-12 says they won't. I think there's probably heavy pressure there for the Pac-12 to come along or they're going to get left way behind with the little guys.

That being said, I hope we're playing Purdue on September 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: red scowl
I think we will probably see a 4/5ths consensus among the P5, but I'm not convinced the season will start on time. I could see the P5 conferences compromise by eliminating their OOC games and moving everyone's bye up to before the season and by just doing that you've pushed the season back a month and it has little impact on the playoff unless you're a team like Oregon (that has Ohio State scheduled for Sep. 12) that likely needs a signature OOC win to get an invite.

Speaking of Oregon, the Pac-12 is by all accounts already an afterthought in the playoffs, so if they don't want to play, so be it. I don't know what the NCAA would say, but the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big XII are likely going to be playing games even if the Pac-12 says they won't. I think there's probably real pressure there for them to come along or they're going to get left behind with the little guys.

I'm not sure the NCAA matters anymore at least to the scale of determining whether a season is played or the start.

I think we'll have a hell of alot more to worry about than if there's football this fall.

So what does the big ten do if august comes and New Jersey Washington DC Michigan and Chicago are still shut down? Play with 9 teams?

I'm hopeful for a full season, but I'm not convinced the season will start on time. I could see the P5 conferences compromise by eliminating their OOC games and moving everyone's bye up to before the season.
You mean SEC teams won't have a late-season FCS game to use as recovery and to avoid a potential loss with a subsequent drop in the polls?

Decisions to play football will still be made by State governments.

Which is also why I think The University of Michigan and Sparty will be in trouble.

Maybe there will need to be schedule adjustments made but by July 15th each school will know whether or not classes will be held. Schools not holding classes will not play.

The rest of the schools holding classes will play.

I'm hopeful for a full season, but I'm not convinced the season will start on time. I could see the P5 conferences compromise by eliminating their OOC games and moving everyone's bye up to before the season. By doing that you've pushed the season back a month and it has little impact on the playoff unless you're a team like Oregon (that has Ohio State scheduled for Sep. 12) that likely needs a signature OOC win to get an invite.

Speaking of Oregon, the Pac-12 is by all accounts already an afterthought in the playoffs, so if they really don't want to play so be it. I don't know what the NCAA would say, but the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big XII are likely going to be playing games even if the Pac-12 says they won't. I think there's probably heavy pressure there for the Pac-12 to come along or they're going to get left way behind with the little guys.

I'm curious why people think theres an advantage to starting later? We want to purposely start at the time cold and flu season is ramping up? I certainly don't think we'll have a vaccine in time for this football season.

I'll voluntarily self quarantine after attending the purdue game. I'll call my boss after attending the game and tell her I accidentally ended up at a large gathering in Nebraska and need to telework now.

Reactions: Clemke32
in my opinion, the SEC will start on time, pay smaller schools to fill holes on the schedule, and have no restrictions on fans in attendance.

the big 12, B1G and ACC will play, but possibly with fan restrictions in places. they’ll also start on time.

PAC12 anyone’s guess is as good as mine. and I’d be pissed if I was herm edwards or kevin sumlin.

in my opinion, the SEC will start on time, pay smaller schools to fill holes on the schedule, and have no restrictions on fans in attendance.

the big 12, B1G and ACC will play, but possibly with fan restrictions in places. they’ll also start on time.

PAC12 anyone’s guess is as good as mine. and I’d be pissed if I was herm edwards or kevin sumlin.

I think you’re going to get a surprise on no restrictions on fans in attendance...

Don’t see full stadiums happening on less we see the confirmed cases go down this summer..

I have little doubt the season will start on time. If anything I don't think it will be able to be finished. If there is a 2nd wave of this it is probably going to hit around flu time which kicks in late oct and Nov. So I could see the last 2 or 3 games, the Conf Championship, NC and Bowls being shutdown

Reactions: bluenrg
I have little doubt the season will start on time. If anything I don't think it will be able to be finished. If there is a 2nd wave of this it is probably going to hit around flu time which kicks in late oct and Nov. So I could see the last 2 or 3 games, the Conf Championship, NC and Bowls being shutdown
the more we learn about it, the less likely another full blown shutdown becomes, IMO.

Here's when I'll believe there's going to be a full fall sports season:

When a university president takes the podium and says, "We have confirmed COVID-19 cases on our football/volleyball/soccer team, but the players who tested positive have only mild symptoms, the situation is manageable and we are therefore moving forward as planned."

Maybe this is exactly what will happen, and confirmed cases among athletes and teams will not cause widespread cancellations. But I don't see it.

When a university president takes the podium and says, "We have confirmed COVID-19 cases on our football/volleyball/soccer team, but the players who tested positive have only mild symptoms, the situation is manageable and we are therefore moving forward as planned."

Maybe this is exactly what will happen, and confirmed cases among athletes and teams will not cause widespread cancellations. But I don't see it.
I agree. However the first decisions to come are whether to hold more than a token amount of on campus education. Football seasons could be shortened but decisions re on campus classes will need to be made soon. Cal State U system may have acted a bit prematurely — and some universities start in late Sept, but every other president will have to decide soon. And there is no chance of football without a lot of other students on campus. (BTW I realize many presidents have said they intend to get back on campus this Fall. Those are brave words that mean nothing in the middle of May.)

Last edited:
Reactions: schuele

that exact thing happened already with Bundesliga teams, which resumed action yesterday.

players testing positive quarantined 2 weeks, business as usual for everyone else.

the NBA's resumption proposal will include similar verbiage.

that exact thing happened already with Bundesliga teams, which resumed action yesterday.

players testing positive quarantined 2 weeks, business as usual for everyone else.

That’s pro sports. Pro owners are answerable to no one. College sports are entirely different story.

I think you will have fall sports. I don’t no about people in the stands. You will have a few governors try to stop the games but they will get over ruled. I am not saying I agree one way or the other but it would be a really boring fall if there is no sports.

Reactions: scarletred
That’s pro sports. Pro owners are answerable to no one. College sports are entirely different story.
yea you're right college sports (football, specifically) aren't beholden to the bottom line at all

totally different

Last edited:

And it might go exactly the same way for college sports - but I'll be very surprised.

Decisions to play football will still be made by State governments.

Which is also why I think The University of Michigan and Sparty will be in trouble.
By then their lunatic governor will either back down under pressure or will have been shown the door.

I think you’re going to get a surprise on no restrictions on fans in attendance...

Don’t see full stadiums happening on less we see the confirmed cases go down this summer..
You're looking at this the wrong way.
More confirmed cases will not necessarily result in more fear and panic. It could cause quite the opposite.
A widespread antibody test is going to have more impact than anything else.
As case numbers go up, and more people are found to have had it and survived with mild to no symptoms, the death rate will go down even lower than it is.
People will wonder why we are quitting our lives. Some might even take the time to worry about deaths of despair the same way they “worry” about covid deaths.

Herd immunity is the only hope.

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT