ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Power 5 Breakaway from the NCAA?

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Linked CBS article discusses why the Power 5 may opt out of the NCAA. Pandemic has just made pressure to do so, greater. As an aside the MAC Conference alone has lost $17 million in guaranteed games with B1G teams when the B1G cancelled non-conference football games this season. So the financial situation for non Power 5 schools could get very serious.

CBS Article Link

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I don't know if the P5 opt out, but I think you see big casualties in the lower levels with the cancellations.

The P5 doesn't want to just play each other and ignore the cupcakes, they get to print money and sell out a home game at the big schools and notch a win when they put Eastern Central Wyoming Tech on the schedule. It's no secret why the seasons used to be 11 games and now they can be 14 games or more. It's all about the revenue.

If the P5 schools just play each other, they just pass around losses among themselves and make it harder to get their teams into the playoffs. Same reason the SEC and B1G don't want to play a round robin conference schedule. It's another couple of losses to pass around within your conference that makes the records look mediocre.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
It's a possibility, but I've been expecting big problems with Universities for a couple of years now. Too many schools, not enough students, prices out of reach etc. It all adds up to budget problems.

I can see a shakeout from an economic standpoint, that then results in a sports/alignment issue as a domino type of effect.

For some, the sports income is going to be important to keeping the lights on and expect some internal turmoil over how funds gets appropriated.

Unequivocally yes. Its the natural progression of things and its been obvious that its going to happen since the BIg12 formed. We will end up with 4- 16 team conferences that create an 8 team playoff. Then it will become a 16 team playoff.

Its human nature to seek order out of chaos.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
It's a possibility, but I've been expecting big problems with Universities for a couple of years now. Too many schools, not enough students, prices out of reach etc. It all adds up to budget problems.

I can see a shakeout from an economic standpoint, that then results in a sports/alignment issue as a domino type of effect.

For some, the sports income is going to be important to keeping the lights on and expect some internal turmoil over how funds gets appropriated.
The government (aka the taxpayers) will bail them out.

OK, so you have 5 conferences that total 64 teams. But, you also have ND and BYU that will want seats at the table. How will that work?

OK, so you have 5 conferences that total 64 teams. But, you also have ND and BYU that will want seats at the table. How will that work?

ND will get the invite, all other independents will get the shaft, not sure any military academy will get an invite. The only school who might get an invite would be Boise and only about 2% certain of that. 1AA will be the new NCAA division and the FCS and the others will remain the same.

ND will get the invite, all other independents will get the shaft, not sure any military academy will get an invite. The only school who might get an invite would be Boise and only about 2% certain of that. 1AA will be the new NCAA division and the FCS and the others will remain the same.

BYU would likely get an invite

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT