ADVERTISEMENT

Will the BYU game be a night game?

Nov 30, 2003
I know tv has a lot to do with the time, but I was wondering what some of you thought based on past years for the 1st game. Also, other games that day are ND - Texas, Wisconsin - Alabama and Auburn - Louisville. Just thought I would ask. Thanks.

I have no insight but my best guess is it will be a day game.

I'm worried that an 11 am kick is under serious consideration. Here's why:

Bama vs Wisconsin
Louisville vs Auburn
Arizona State vs Texas A&M

Those are all neutral site games which means ABC/ Espn will have the rights.

Texas @ Notre Dame will be an NBC game.

Bama- Wiscy likely gets 8pm Eastern on ABC.

Louisville vs. Auburn likely gets 6:45 on ESPN or ESPN 2.

I think that means Arizona State vs A&M will be a 2:30 game on ESPN or ABC.

This is where the audacity of the Big Ten TV contract comes back into play. It states all Big Ten games must be national broadcasts or must have a mirror available on ESPN/ESPN2.

Stanford also plays@ Northwestern that Saturday. Now ESPN could just screw west coast fans again and make that game an 12 eastern or 9 am Pacific game.

But they may decide to bump that game to 3:30 Eastern. If that happens, then the Big Ten window would need to be taken by Nebraska vs BYU.

This will begin to take shape once they announce kickoffs for bama wiscy and a&m vs Arizona state.

Based on my understanding, the only possibility of a night game is if Disney passes it up entirely and then BTN decides they want it to be primetime. But that's not going to happen given that Stanford @ Northwestern is the only other decent B1G home game that day. I agree with Cornicator that it will be either 11 am or 2:30 pm, with 11 am being the slightly more likely of the two.

I would think the West coast fans would rather see BYU and Nebraska with Riley's first game at Nebraska over Stanford and Northwestern. I think ABC picks Nebraska and BYU for the 2:30 regional time slot over the Northwestern game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT