ADVERTISEMENT

Will PSU, OSU, UM, and NEB have a call together?

64 teams are going to leave the NCAA and call it the SEC Amateurish Football League. We would obviously be part of the Heartland division. Will be good to get the gang back together with Oklahoma, Missouri, and Kansas

No, OP. It's funny seeing that tweet from the Barstools employee promoting his podcast has taken on it's own life these days. lol. His clickbait worked and a lot of people are falling for it.

Yes there will be an eventual break away from the NCAA, but OSU, MI, etc, are going to be in the Big Ten when that happens.

Ha. No.

We've been on the outside looking in for quite some time. Now that we are 20 years removed from being relevant in college football, our voice means about as much as Minnesota or Northwestern.

Would be kickass if college football got to 4 16 team conferences, but those pipe dreams aren't for the greedy. I don't blame the SEC for trying to build a super conference. They bring in OU, TX, tOSU, UM, FSU, and Clemson they wouldn't have to listen to anybody else and simply have their own conference championship game that would be the de facto natty. Hell, it pretty much is already.

Reactions: stupidrams
The only way the B1G reaches a deal with the SEC is to form a new super league together that is independent of the NCAA. Kind of an NFL version of college football.
I think this may actually be the end goal. Instead of a Power 5, there will eventually be a Power 2 - SEC and B1G, with at least 20 schools in each -and they will tell the NCAA to take a long walk off a short pier.

I think this may actually be the end goal. Instead of a Power 5, there will eventually be a Power 2 - SEC and B1G, with at least 20 schools in each -and they will tell the NCAA to take a long walk off a short pier.
Whatever happens the NCAA needs to go away or be stripped of most power. The amount of money they make and spend is just completely not needed. Then to do anything takes them years and after that long time they get it wrong more than right.

Whatever happens the NCAA needs to go away or be stripped of most power. The amount of money they make and spend is just completely not needed. Then to do anything takes them years and after that long time they get it wrong more than right.

I'll never understand this argument.

The NCAA is the schools own elected police. They vote for them every year and get exactly what they want which is a spineless toothless watchdog.

It essentially took our worthless government to allow for NIL.

The NCAA only makes its money from referees and the men's basketball tournament. They don't get a dime from football.

The NCAA is the schools own elected police. They vote for them every year and get exactly what they want which is a spineless toothless watchdog.

The NCAA only makes its money from referees and the men's basketball tournament. They don't get a dime from football.
Doesn't change the fact they suck. LOL

The playoffs are an ncaa property, so they absolutely make a ton from football.

Reactions: zrob
The FCS playoffs are, but the CFP is a separate entity. There is no FBS NCAA championship.

The thing that people lose sight of is the administrative costs of all of this. Yes football is the meal ticket for the universities but not the NCAA.

For example, the NCAA men's basketball tournament is mostly funded by the NCAA. Most travel, hotels, per diem etc those expenses are either paid for by the NCAA or the NCAA reimburses expenses up to a certain dollar amount. Same for all NCAA sanctioned championships.

If you want to see the end of Nebraska baseball, softball, track, soccer, swimming etc, get rid of the NCAA, the expenses alone would eat up the athletic department. The basketball tournament would be pointless if those 64 teams broke away from the NCAA, either everyone would qualify or you would have a much smaller tournament, with teams that have played each other multiple times already. Like it or not the NCAA serves a purpose.

Do you realize that Nebraska's status is lower third of the B1G right now? If the conference powers were going to "have a call", it sure as hell wouldn't include us.

I'd love to scrap athletic conferences altogether, and get back to a more regional scheduling model, with a true 16 or 32 team playoff at the end of the season.

I think the non-revenue sports will go that way soon. The travel costs for sports like women's basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, wrestling, etc. would be much cheaper if they mostly played closer schools within driving distance. Why fly all the way to Rutgers or Maryland, when they could instead just take a bus to play KU, ISU, KSU, Creighton, Missouri, Wichita State, etc.

You could still have academic conferences like the Big Ten Academic Alliance, I don't see why athletics would have anything to do with that.

All I know is the more CFB moves away from its traditional norms, the more I become an NFL fan. And that's not me being critical of what CFB is doing as it seems inevitable that the rah rah traditions of the past are over and not coming back. Lately I've just enjoyed watching the NFL more.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
The FCS playoffs are, but the CFP is a separate entity. There is no FBS NCAA championship.

The thing that people lose sight of is the administrative costs of all of this. Yes football is the meal ticket for the universities but not the NCAA.

For example, the NCAA men's basketball tournament is mostly funded by the NCAA. Most travel, hotels, per diem etc those expenses are either paid for by the NCAA or the NCAA reimburses expenses up to a certain dollar amount. Same for all NCAA sanctioned championships.

If you want to see the end of Nebraska baseball, softball, track, soccer, swimming etc, get rid of the NCAA, the expenses alone would eat up the athletic department. The basketball tournament would be pointless if those 64 teams broke away from the NCAA, either everyone would qualify or you would have a much smaller tournament, with teams that have played each other multiple times already. Like it or not the NCAA serves a purpose.
Are you really trying to say that the athletics department as a whole cannot function without NCAA payments? Where does the NCAA get it's money from?

Something there doesn't add up for me.

Now I do think sports like softball and track, swimming etc most of them, don't bring in much if anything to the university, and I would be fine if those programs were cut.

But to think that somehow an outside organization is subsidizing the country's sports programs, makes me think they are taking a big cut of something somewhere in order to do that.

I'd love to scrap athletic conferences altogether, and get back to a more regional scheduling model, with a true 16 or 32 team playoff at the end of the season.

I think the non-revenue sports will go that way soon. The travel costs for sports like women's basketball, softball, soccer, volleyball, baseball, wrestling, etc. would be much cheaper if they mostly played closer schools within driving distance. Why fly all the way to Rutgers or Maryland, when they could instead just take a bus to play KU, ISU, KSU, Creighton, Missouri, Wichita State, etc.

You could still have academic conferences like the Big Ten Academic Alliance, I don't see why athletics would have anything to do with that.
Bargaining power and competition.

Are you really trying to say that the athletics department as a whole cannot function without NCAA payments? Where does the NCAA get it's money from?

Something there doesn't add up for me.

Now I do think sports like softball and track, swimming etc most of them, don't bring in much if anything to the university, and I would be fine if those programs were cut.

But to think that somehow an outside organization is subsidizing the country's sports programs, makes me think they are taking a big cut of something somewhere in order to do that.
I am saying those costs are spread out and shared by 300 schools. At some point it becomes cost prohibitive if they are spread out over only 65 schools and 22 sports.

All I know is the more CFB moves away from its traditional norms, the more I become an NFL fan. And that's not me being critical of what CFB is doing as it seems inevitable that the rah rah traditions of the past are over and not coming back. Lately I've just enjoyed watching the NFL more.
it's just better week in and week out

The NCAA enforcement has nothing to do with bowl games, the CFP, or anything else to do with football other than trying to hand down cheating violations.

The NCAA makes $0 from college football. But as I said before, our schools have done a great job of making them the enemy while they are the mobsters.

I feel exactly the opposite. Watching wealthy businessmen (uh-huh, the coaches, athletes and team executives) ram their SJW-mentality down the fans throats makes me gag. Yes, I know colleges do it as well, but the "student"-athletes aren't wealthier than the fans. Watching rich people virtue-signal on how distraught/offended they are that the world isn't fair is repugnant beyond measurement.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I feel exactly the opposite. Watching wealthy businessmen (uh-huh, the coaches, athletes and team executives) ram their SJW-mentality down the fans throats makes me gag. Yes, I know colleges do it as well, but the "student"-athletes aren't wealthier than the fans. Watching rich people lecture me on how distraught/offended they are that the world isn't fair is repugnant beyond measurement.
they've always been wealthier in terms of skill

now, they're wealthier in terms of annual earnings, as well!

no wonder you love the b1g so much. your brain is trapped in 1945 just like the lion's share of b1g programs.

I feel exactly the opposite. Watching wealthy businessmen (uh-huh, the coaches, athletes and team executives) ram their SJW-mentality down the fans throats makes me gag. Yes, I know colleges do it as well, but the "student"-athletes aren't wealthier than the fans. Watching rich people virtue-signal on how distraught/offended they are that the world isn't fair is repugnant beyond measurement.
I can watch football without getting butthurt over politics. You're going to be worm food and long forgotten and the world is still going to be arguing over politics and race issues. I'm going to watch the Chiefs, etc and live my life and not worry about people who use terms like "SJW" and "virtue-signal." It's all a giant mind-f--k whatever side you're on. I'm 47 and don't have time to waste on nonsense when I can be enjoying the shit out of life.

I can watch football without getting butthurt over politics. You're going to be worm food and long forgotten and the world is still going to be arguing over politics and race issues. I'm going to watch the Chiefs, etc and live my life and not worry about people who use terms like "SJW" and "virtue-signal." It's all a giant mind-f--k whatever side you're on. I'm 47 and don't have time to waste on nonsense when I can be enjoying the shit out of life.
couldn't agree more.

some people's sensibilities are insanely delicate.

Reactions: mgbreis

Cancel Culture has reached sports. Too many changes daily to keep up with.

Only two teams in the Big Ten would get a call, Nebraska isn’t one of them.

Not trying to be a smart ass but just give it a thought a Nebraska fan is the only one that would possibly put Neb. in that group. You haven't been a blue blood since the 90s and the old big 8.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT