ADVERTISEMENT

Will MJ be more involved in QB decisions this week?

pahusker139

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2008
The Villages, Florida
I assume that it was Whipple's preference to play Purdy last week. Since he struggled to run the offense I am hoping Mickey will be more forceful and maybe play Smothers at QB. His head coaching audition depends on getting another win, improvement, positive perception... Mickey needs to be the man in charge.

I posted this in another thread

I would have Smothers and MJ get together for a little film study, give Whip about 6-9 option plays and have them practice the crap of it. On Saturday inform Whip that there is playing field outside the tackles and incorporate the 6-9 plays into the game.

The option should only be foreign to Whip, but all he needs to do is lean on MJ on when to call them... but what do I know.

I assume that it was Whipple's preference to play Purdy last week. Since he struggled to run the offense I am hoping Mickey will be more forceful and maybe play Smothers at QB. His head coaching audition depends on getting another win, improvement, positive perception... Mickey needs to be the man in charge.
Rumor has it that Smothers got hurt on his last play. Mickey supposedly told a media member at half that they would roll with Smothers. Obviously something changed in the locker room.

Why do we assume that the QB decision making was all Whipple? Mickey is the head coach and his decision overrides everyone else’s.

we were playing one of the better statistical defenses in the national

the offensive line is terrible

CT has had to miss series in a number of prior games

and we were coming off a bye week

If there wasn’t a well thought out succession plan in the event CT goes down or the plan came as a surprise to MJ then he isn’t ready to be a head coach at this level

i think MJ knew exactly what the situation was

Why do we assume that the QB decision making was all Whipple? Mickey is the head coach and his decision overrides everyone else’s.

If there wasn’t a well thought out succession plan in the event CT goes down or the plan came as a surprise to MJ then he isn’t ready to be a head coach at this level

Without knowing the injury status of both Chubb’s and Logan it’s hard to be too critical or make educated guesses on who should be playing. All we can say is the obvious. Purdy couldn’t execute the offense

i think your exactly right. I think Mickey knew exactly the situation and he didn’t want to lose his team for the rest of the season on an un-winnable game. Season probably still trashed but hopefully he can continue to make chicken salad. have to figure something out at QB. Logan may be more of an option moving forward against who we play. But that wasn’t a Logan type of game and no use getting him hit for nothing. Whatever happens, Purdy better not be in the game. I’ll definitely be done with MJ if so

Without knowing the injury status of both Chubb’s and Logan it’s hard to be too critical or make educated guesses on who should be playing. All we can say is the obvious. Purdy couldn’t execute the offense
I agree. I think MJ was in control - there just weren’t options available

Reactions: pahusker139
So, if I understand this correctly, Nebraska is once again playing the wrong QB and/or running the wrong offense. To remedy this, Mickey needs to get with Whips and straighten him out because he isn't smart enough to know who to play and even how to design plays?

If two things happen, Smothers plays and they design plays just for him, things will improve. I assume we will be running these plays behind our illustrious O line which hasn't exactly instilled fear in the rest of the league.

Now I see it should be Masker, he has obviously proven himself. Just give them all rotating series, that should settle it once and for all. I remember the clamoring for Luke over Adrian. Remind me how that turned out in the ong run.

So, if I understand this correctly, Nebraska is once again playing the wrong QB and/or running the wrong offense. To remedy this, Mickey needs to get with Whips and straighten him out because he isn't smart enough to know who to play and even how to design plays?

If two things happen, Smothers plays and they design plays just for him, things will improve. I assume we will be running these plays behind our illustrious O line which hasn't exactly instilled fear in the rest of the league.

Now I see it should be Masker, he has obviously proven himself. Just give them all rotating series, that should settle it once and for all. I remember the clamoring for Luke over Adrian. Remind me how that turned out in the ong run.
What some believe is if we’re going to throw the ball a healthy Masker might be a better option than an injured Purdy or Smothers. I doubt Masker is getting any game plan reps in practice though.

Reactions: BleedRed78

It's way better to just ****ing lay down and take our beating with the two "proven" QBs in Purdy and Smothers, right? They've answered the bell when healthy, yet neither has shown they have what it takes to lead this team on offense.

Combined, with the 2 kids, what has their production been for 8 games?
17 rushes for 60 yards and throwing 11-21 for 51 yards. Smothers has thrown a total of 1 (one) pass for the whole season. One pass.

Without dogging either Purdy or Smothers, neither one of them has proven shit. Smothers had one game last year against Iowa, and played well but right now may fit into the category of being injured. Is he one snap away from NU having to insert yet another QB?

As far as Purdy, the games he's entered this year, he looks like he's running a Chinese fire drill.

By the way, I never said anything about "rotating" series, nor did I say anything about that should settle it once and for all.

Rather than poke holes in a suggestion, you should consider introducing a suggestion or solution on how to proceed with a QB room that currently has 60% of the athletes suspect, based on their physical availability.

What happens if both Purdy and Smothers are trying to play injured and one or both just can't go on Saturday? Then what's your option? Insert Masker and let him fly by the seat of his pants? Or insert him after having at least a few days of designed plays that your offense can run as an emergency?

If CT is out, and IF, both Purdy and Smothers are banged up, it's likely they can do less now than when they were healthy, and that's not much. Doesn't a coaching staff owe it to the team to at least try to get the currently healthy QBs ready for a worst-case scenario?

One thing we Husker fans have had a steady dose of for many years...If it can go wrong, it probably will. NU may be entering the ugliest time that any of us have ever seen, and we've all seen some ugly performances over the years.

There are no good options, but there are options.

• Love

Yeah. We actually won a game against PSU of all teams. A bag PSU, but one that Martinez wasn't gonna beat.

It's way better to just ****ing lay down and take our beating with the two "proven" QBs in Purdy and Smothers, right? They've answered the bell when healthy, yet neither has shown they have what it takes to lead this team on offense.

Combined, with the 2 kids, what has their production been for 8 games?
17 rushes for 60 yards and throwing 11-21 for 51 yards. Smothers has thrown a total of 1 (one) pass for the whole season. One pass.

Without dogging either Purdy or Smothers, neither one of them has proven shit. Smothers had one game last year against Iowa, and played well but right now may fit into the category of being injured. Is he one snap away from NU having to insert yet another QB?

As far as Purdy, the games he's entered this year, he looks like he's running a Chinese fire drill.

By the way, I never said anything about "rotating" series, nor did I say anything about that should settle it once and for all.

Rather than poke holes in a suggestion, you should consider introducing a suggestion or solution on how to proceed with a QB room that currently has 60% of the athletes suspect, based on their physical availability.

What happens if both Purdy and Smothers are trying to play injured and one or both just can't go on Saturday? Then what's your option? Insert Masker and let him fly by the seat of his pants? Or insert him after having at least a few days of designed plays that your offense can run as an emergency?

If CT is out, and IF, both Purdy and Smothers are banged up, it's likely they can do less now than when they were healthy, and that's not much. Doesn't a coaching staff owe it to the team to at least try to get the currently healthy QBs ready for a worst-case scenario?

One thing we Husker fans have had a steady dose of for many years...If it can go wrong, it probably will. NU may be entering the ugliest time that any of us have ever seen, and we've all seen some ugly performances over the years.

There are no good options, but there are options.
My suggestion is that the coaches who work with these kids every day know their abilities better than anyone on this board.

I recall the overtures for Luke over Adrian when that wasn't going well. We just as well give them all a shot then. Rotate 3 or 4, that should work.

With this OL I am not sure anything is going to work. We can't make any running room for Grant even with a passing threat/game. Does anyone really think we can run on anyone?

Reactions: bshirt73
My suggestion is that the coaches who work with these kids every day know their abilities better than anyone on this board.

I recall the overtures for Luke over Adrian when that wasn't going well. We just as well give them all a shot then. Rotate 3 or 4, that should work.

With this OL I am not sure anything is going to work. We can't make any running room for Grant even with a passing threat/game. Does anyone really think we can run on anyone?
That I’ll agree with BUT it was pretty obvious that Purdy dug us a deeper hole Saturday. Methinks Whipple needs to rethink his okay calling if we have to roll with a Purdy or Smothers.

Tru.

I totally agree the coaches who coach players know which players they have are the best players. (I coached for 22 years).

Have you ever coached a real team?
Do you realize there are some coaches out there that aren't worth a crap?

As NU fans, were we really "rewarded" in our TRUST that Frost and company actually knew who the best players at a position were? It became apparent they didn't know jack shit about recruiting or developing athletes, save for Cam, and it took them most of a year for him to learn how to snap the ball.

A large portion of that post was as a Plan B, Plan C measure. Kids get hurt, turn an ankle, and get smoked on a tackle. There have to be emergency measures at least having been considered, and those emergency measures always include having to work with inferior talent when compared to the top 1-2-3 unit kids.

I had zero confidence Luke would ever be a QB. Very fast, had a total wienie arm, and constantly slowed down into contact. Other than good wheels and a famous last name, he lacked everything you look for in a college QB.

Nor did I ever say to rotate 3 or 4 or any such thing.

Once again, I agree it's doubtful any offense will work with this current collection when the whole thing starts with the OL line. Yet, we will have to snap the ball to somebody.

Tru.

I totally agree the coaches who coach players know which players they have are the best players. (I coached for 22 years).

Have you ever coached a real team?
Do you realize there are some coaches out there that aren't worth a crap?

As NU fans, were we really "rewarded" in our TRUST that Frost and company actually knew who the best players at a position were? It became apparent they didn't know jack shit about recruiting or developing athletes, save for Cam, and it took them most of a year for him to learn how to snap the ball.

A large portion of that post was as a Plan B, Plan C measure. Kids get hurt, turn an ankle, and get smoked on a tackle. There have to be emergency measures at least having been considered, and those emergency measures always include having to work with inferior talent when compared to the top 1-2-3 unit kids.

I had zero confidence Luke would ever be a QB. Very fast, had a total wienie arm, and constantly slowed down into contact. Other than good wheels and a famous last name, he lacked everything you look for in a college QB.

Nor did I ever say to rotate 3 or 4 or any such thing.

Once again, I agree it's doubtful any offense will work with this current collection when the whole thing starts with the OL line. Yet, we will have to snap the ball to somebody.
Yes, I have coached. I was a principal and an AD. I have been around a lot of sports at the small HS level. A coach I hired many years ago is coaching at the NAIA level.

I guess if the coaching thing was easy everyone would do it.

There is so much that goes into the play calling, I am weary from hearing that tired line. Thr only bad play call is the one that doesn't make 10 yards.

Yes, I have coached. I was a principal and an AD. I have been around a lot of sports at the small HS level. A coach I hired many years ago is coaching at the NAIA level.

I guess if the coaching thing was easy everyone would do it.

There is so much that goes into the play calling, I am weary from hearing that tired line. Thr only bad play call is the one that doesn't make 10 yards.
Thanks, Tru.

How hard or easy coaching is will usually be predicated on the level of talent you have at your disposal.

Play calling for this bunch is a real challenge. Uncertainty at QB heightens the problem. A non-existent running game makes it even more so. That's why a 2 TE set should be a staple for this offense.

You would think with as many whiffs as this OL normally has, screen passes should be easy to disguise. LOL

I wouldn't mind seeing an occasional Utah Shovel Pass. The back has the area to move among traffic, if the ball hits the ground it's just an incomplete pass.
There are always wider gaps in the line to try.

When you're (3-5) the defense should be fair game for anything you can conjure up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT