ADVERTISEMENT

Will Frosty bring back the county scholarship program?

Ben-Stiller-Shh-dont-tell.gif

The county scholarship program was created by the state legislature, not the head football coach. That is why the NCAA can't touch it, because they do not have the jurisdiction to override state law. The scholarships can be used at any state university, not just UNL. However, obviously, the majority of them have always been used by the Cornhuskers. I imagine now that Nebraska has a popular head coach in place, the numbers will rise. I've heard some haven't been used in years, because athletes in those counties just weren't interested.

This is 100% bullflop, by the way. They are, and always have been, a myth. Weird that opposing fans' complaints disappeared once Nebraska stopping winning championships and started having a losing record.

Reactions: dpnavy
He's taking it up a notch. He's going from the county scholarship program to the country scholarship program. There's a reason we're getting players committing to us from Texas without any scholarship announcement. And the way they're going about it will have other programs up in arms. But given our state laws, which are exempt from B1G laws, there isn't a darn thing any of the other B1G schools can do about it.

The county scholarship program was created by the state legislature, not the head football coach. That is why the NCAA can't touch it, because they do not have the jurisdiction to override state law. The scholarships can be used at any state university, not just UNL. However, obviously, the majority of them have always been used by the Cornhuskers. I imagine now that Nebraska has a popular head coach in place, the numbers will rise. I've heard some haven't been used in years, because athletes in those counties just weren't interested.

This is 100% bullflop, by the way. They are, and always have been, a myth. Weird that opposing fans' complaints disappeared once Nebraska stopping winning championships and started having a losing record.

Killjoy

Reactions: dpnavy
I appreciate your candor. Do you have insight about the redshirt-county option for divesity athletes (RCODA)?

Oh no its not a myth. Every one of our 93 counties gets to use one. However there are some caveats. Every county on the western side of the mountain time zone get a 2nd scholarship on odd years due to their distance from Lincoln. Lancaster county as the host of the state capital gets 2 each year. Sarpy, Cass and Douglas counties get a second one that is rotated every year between the three of them as they make up the largest population base of the state. Pierce county has to give one up every other year because they have 40 county drivers and Dakota County has to give one up every third year for having South Sioux City. Legislation tried to make Omaha give away one a few years back for having Ernie Chambers as a State Senator but he threatened a filibuster and the rest of the state senators caved on the idea.

If this were true it would not be an issue would it? I mean...who cares who pays for your school.

Oh no its not a myth. Every one of our 93 counties gets to use one. However there are some caveats. Every county on the western side of the mountain time zone get a 2nd scholarship on odd years due to their distance from Lincoln. Lancaster county as the host of the state capital gets 2 each year. Sarpy, Cass and Douglas counties get a second one that is rotated every year between the three of them as they make up the largest population base of the state. Pierce county has to give one up every other year because they have 40 county drivers and Dakota County has to give one up every third year for having South Sioux City. Legislation tried to make Omaha give away one a few years back for having Ernie Chambers as a State Senator but he threatened a filibuster and the rest of the state senators caved on the idea.

Actually, I think the Chambers filibuster threat was not because of trying to make Omaha give away a scholarship, but because the proposed legislation did not include funding for all counties to start a mountain lion breeding program.

Reactions: Huskercigar
I heard from a reliable source that in addition to reviving the county scholarship program, there will soon be a sister city program. For example, Lincoln has already formed a sister city relationship with Los Angeles, which means that one player a year from Los Angeles will get a sister city football scholarship. The same reliable source said Omaha is close to finalizing a deal with Dallas and Scottsbluff with Phoenix.

Indiana short circuits the County Scholarship Program, they just go to the Bag Man Hand Out Program to convince anyone to go to Indiana.

Actually, I think the Chambers filibuster threat was not because of trying to make Omaha give away a scholarship, but because the proposed legislation did not include funding for all counties to start a mountain lion breeding program.

Should have let him have his way. Living in danger of mountain lion attacks would have really helped the local kids develop mental toughness.

Reactions: 6thdegree
Should have let him have his way. Living in danger of mountain lion attacks would have really helped the local kids develop mental toughness.

I was more intrigued with his proposal to let mountain lions roam free within 1000 feet of a public school, which was a compromise to better ensure that this "gun free zone" space would actually be the case. It died in committee, though.

I read a recent publication that Runza has joined forces with counties across Nebraska, not only do they get a full ride, they get runza any time of day as long as their grades are above a D, 100% free. Once graduated they have a guaranteed position flipping burgers at runza. Talk about a fall back job. Lucky bastards

I read a recent publication that Runza has joined forces with counties across Nebraska, not only do they get a full ride, they get runza any time of day as long as their grades are above a D, 100% free. Once graduated they have a guaranteed position flipping burgers at runza. Talk about a fall back job. Lucky bastards
Guaranteed job flipping Burgers? Now they are taking the number one sales pitch from the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: NU_FTW
I read a recent publication that Runza has joined forces with counties across Nebraska, not only do they get a full ride, they get runza any time of day as long as their grades are above a D, 100% free.
Yeah but it's my understanding those scholies are limited to quarterbacks and offensive linemen who are able to master the fumblerooski while in high school.

I can't imagine how great it would be to graduate from a SEC school and become the Head Burger Flipper.

Pierce county was the first to fully fund their allotment. Any other counties funded yet, that anyone would like to share?
Back in the day, some people in my county put money toward my tuition if I agreed not to play football. I was what was known as a Prefer-That-You-Don’t-Walk-On.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskercigar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT