ADVERTISEMENT

Will COVID change the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
Do you think this virus will forever change the US? By that I mean will we see immigration changes. Health care changed? New laws and regulations? Social interactions? Spending habits? Work habits? How we interact with the rest of the world? Do you see the US as well as other countries becoming more self reliant?
Or do you think once this is all over we go back to how things were.

If we were smart, we would change our health care habits and system and start manufacturing essentials at home. We can still our crap trinkets from China, but relying on them for anything important to the country is foolish.

But we are not smart, so it'll probably just go back to the way its been.

I could see some fields evolve and not go back to exactly how they were. I could see people getting used to curbside delivery and not wanting to go back to going into stores. I could see more industries let people work from home, more schools offer distance learning options. I think we could also see a return or “big government” in the short term with people wanting things like health care, welfare and investments in science and medicine, immediately after the pandemic.

Follow the money. The U.S. is a capitalist empire and will settle back into financial class warfare as soon as it can.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think it will remind people how important their local stores are. If anything, it makes me want to do less online.

Some may feel otherwise, but in some weird way, being cooped up, has only driven me to want to be out in public more.

I don't want to buy from Amazon, but from the local shopkeeper.

I'd rather have those face to face contacts than 'likes' on a message board.

real sex is better than masterbating to some cam girl in another side of the world.. ok maybe that is a tossup

Outside of the cell phone, I'm not sure people really even care about computers or being online anymore.

It's probably just me though, but I'd be fine if most of the online stuff went away.

I used to have phone numbers remembered, now I have a hard time knowing my own.

I could see some fields evolve and not go back to exactly how they were. Yes, if it makes someone money.

I could see people getting used to curbside delivery and not wanting to go back to going into stores. Yes, if it makes someone money.

I could see more industries let people work from home, Yes, if it makes someone money.

more schools offer distance learning options.
Yes, if it makes someone money.

I think we could also see a return or “big government” in the short termYes, if it makes someone money.

with people wanting things like health care,

welfare Yes, if it makes someone money.
and investments in science and medicine,

immediately after the pandemic.

I could see some fields evolve and not go back to exactly how they were. Yes, if it makes someone money.

I could see people getting used to curbside delivery and not wanting to go back to going into stores. Yes, if it makes someone money.

I could see more industries let people work from home, Yes, if it makes someone money.

more schools offer distance learning options.

I think we could also see a return or “big government” in the short termYes, if it makes someone money.

with people wanting things like health care,

welfare Yes, if it makes someone money.
and investments in science and medicine,

Well, I would guess we won't see any additional jobs being eliminated on the Pandemic Initiative anytime soon. :D That hasn't exactly gone off without a hitch.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Do you think this virus will forever change the US? By that I mean will we see immigration changes. Health care changed? New laws and regulations? Social interactions? Spending habits? Work habits? How we interact with the rest of the world? Do you see the US as well as other countries becoming more self reliant?
I could see the USA moving away from Chinese manufacturing, but I think it’ll only be short term when the customer won’t want to pay for domestic product long term and the cycle will continue.

Being in the global market didn’t really get us here though.

I do think this shows that the USA and many others would be susceptible to a real bioweapon.

Wrong. Don't politicize this thread.

Without digging into this too much, Trump gave the Dems exactly what they needed...a screw up on his part on handling a national crisis.

To me right now it should be a backburner issue. But make no mistake, this will be a major touchpoint leading up to the election when it's more appropriate to discuss.

it changed.
bring all the basics home.
energy. food. healthcare. military.
and people.
we don’t produce enough of our own.
in a sense we’re at war, and hell, who knows? we may be in the real kind sooner than later.

Without digging into this too much, Trump gave the Dems exactly what they needed...a screw up on his part on handling a national crisis.

To me right now it should be a backburner issue. But make no mistake, this will be a major touchpoint leading up to the election when it's more appropriate to discuss.
I would say the Dems screwed up worse

No your favorite Rachel Maddow that’s the Rachel I was pertaining to
I try to avoid the cable news channels lately. Its been local for me. Los Angeles is hurting right now....although you wouldnt know it from the scenes to the beaches. I welcome a nationwide martial law response

I will refrain from getting into the election and stuff, and just list things that I think will certainly be up for change, and I am going to focus on it from a perspective of national security, which this absolutely is an issue of now:

1.) Agreed with a lot of posters here: I think the labor market is going to change dramatically. I'm not sure how yet, but it will.

2.) Health care reform. Probably shift to a single-payer system, probably fund more health care projects, probably increase capacity of hospitals, DEFINITELY increase funding and awareness of pandemic responses. I agree too that a lot more national organization around manufacturing of medicines and antibiotics and things will likely occur as a matter of national security.

3.) The idea of UBI or increased social safety net benefits for all American workers is likely going to come up and some kind of reform will likely be passed into law.

4.) In order to keep the economy from stalling, more and more spending on national projects like infrastructure, and more emphasis on re-establishing American manufacturing will likely occur. Bailouts of, for instance, the airline industry will likely occur.

All of the above I list out assumes the following as being likely (and I think these are highly likely):

1.) This outbreak sickens a lot of people, particularly in high population density areas, our healthcare system's weaknesses are exposed and cause breakdowns, and far more people than should have die.

2.) The economy becomes toxic until at least the end of 2020. At best, it will be a sluggish re-start in Q4. A lot of government intervention to keep the markets from completely collapsing occurs.

3.) The election yields different leaders from both parties who are more committed to dealing with this crisis and it's horrible fallout at a national level.

I will refrain from getting into the election and stuff, and just list things that I think will certainly be up for change, and I am going to focus on it from a perspective of national security, which this absolutely is an issue of now:

1.) Agreed with a lot of posters here: I think the labor market is going to change dramatically. I'm not sure how yet, but it will.

2.) Health care reform. Probably shift to a single-payer system, probably fund more health care projects, probably increase capacity of hospitals, DEFINITELY increase funding and awareness of pandemic responses. I agree too that a lot more national organization around manufacturing of medicines and antibiotics and things will likely occur as a matter of national security.

3.) The idea of UBI or increased social safety net benefits for all American workers is likely going to come up and some kind of reform will likely be passed into law.

4.) In order to keep the economy from stalling, more and more spending on national projects like infrastructure, and more emphasis on re-establishing American manufacturing will likely occur. Bailouts of, for instance, the airline industry will likely occur.

All of the above I list out assumes the following as being likely (and I think these are highly likely):

1.) This outbreak sickens a lot of people, particularly in high population density areas, our healthcare system's weaknesses are exposed and cause breakdowns, and far more people than should have die.

2.) The economy becomes toxic until at least the end of 2020. At best, it will be a sluggish re-start in Q4. A lot of government intervention to keep the markets from completely collapsing occurs.

3.) The election yields different leaders from both parties who are more committed to dealing with this crisis and it's horrible fallout at a national level.
Just curious why you support single payer? I would add we need to be making pharmaceuticals and computer items or at least our allies make them, way to much depending on China

I would say the Dems screwed up worse

That's a matter of interpretation. I'm not going to worry about the election right now. Discussion should focus on getting through this crisis first.

I will say I'm glad that Trump FINALLY swallowed his pride and carved out meaningful time to discuss this crisis with experts. Clearly someone got to him within the last week and made him listen.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
Just curious why you support single payer? I would add we need to be making pharmaceuticals and computer items or at least our allies make them, way to much depending on China

It's a better way of managing healthcare.

It's a better way of managing healthcare.

Oh, and just to get more specific about why I think that is more likely now:

The costs of this, and the capacity limitations, are going to cause a lot of government intervention. At a certain point, people will realize that having the government fund, plan, distribute, and work the problem of a massive pandemic is working. It's not a huge leap to get from that, to "Let's just quit with the expensive, inefficient, morally unfit system with a zillion problems and have this run smoothly the way it has been for the last 12 months."

That's a matter of interpretation. I'm not going to worry about the election right now. Discussion should focus on getting through this crisis first.

I will say I'm glad that Trump FINALLY swallowed his pride and carved out meaningful time to discuss this crisis with experts. Clearly someone got to him within the last week and made him listen.

I agree his arrogance has finally caught up with him along with his self destruction of texting too much..

But if anyone thinks we would have been better off 3 1/2 years ago with Hillary is a looney..

I agree his arrogance has finally caught up with him along with his self destruction of texting too much..

But if anyone thinks we would have been better off 3 1/2 years ago with Hillary is a looney..

That's a meaningless statement. We cannot know how much better or worse an alternative president would have been. We only know about this one.

Finally Nationalism ,with each country doing what’s best for it ,will be embraced. And border sovereignty and respect will be practiced better. Many more nations will become not totally but more self reliant.What the US has done during this crisis will be copied Government/ Private sector and states fed Agencies working together. Hopefully China learns from their bungling of this, China born Virus. America will Be back. We should pray for the rest of the World though serving in Iraq I saw how difficult it was to maintain its security from other bordering nations like Syria, and Iran, who where State supporters of terror.Iraq has always had issues with its sovereignty.Now that everyone sees how deadly a pandemic can be too a Economy. It should serve as a valuable lesson. For border security, and knowing who and what is coming in through Migration, at airports and the borders. Yet CNN and MSNBC still rants on, and makes it about themselves. And racism etc:. Hopefully our youth will start to notice this. United We all Stand. Divided we are doomed. GBR we will be back!

and now talking heads want him to stop having so many conferences. Media/athletes/celebrities are expendable

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Yes, it is inevitable that this will cause a leftist drift at home and probably a anti-globalist drift overseas. This is the first time that we have had a unified push as a collective group of people in a generation. We are all going to be on the hook for a 2 trillion debt package...we are all going to have higher taxes...but we are also going to raise corporate taxes and taxes on the rich to pay for this... we have a unified social security plan that is meant to support all people not just the rich or poor and through this it will expose people to the idea that the government can support its people through a strong federal system. At the same time we are seeing a strong centralized government in China and Russia handle this sort of situation in a much more efficient manner...what we are seeing isn't the truth but it will affect the mindset of our nation. Following World War II we had a long period of very strong federal involvement...almost 40 years... but the long lag in crisis, world war or world virus gave the impression that the individual, the local, the state could handle what is currently in front of us.

That's a meaningless statement. We cannot know how much better or worse an alternative president would have been. We only know about this one.
open borders under Hillary could easily have made it worse. How long into the pandemic do you think she would have waited before closing and restricting travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT