ADVERTISEMENT

Will Bolt hired to be the next head baseball coach

Honestly, I feel the same way about this I did when we hired Riley. Not overjoyed but not upset either, just kind of a wait and see feel for me. In the case of Riley, it didn't turn out. Hopefully Bolt will.

Can Bolt recruit Texas? That's my first question.

He should have DEEP ties there to start.

Anybody know the answer to that question?
Yes and Yes. From Texas, coached there, recruited there and played here. Proof that it can be successful to come North

So much for bolt's wife not liking it here. Yes she's from Texas and Will bolt's high school sweet heart. Moos wouldn't let him accept offer until he talked it over with his family.

Brad Cooper has it made. Jesus, the **^ throwing themselves at this guy...

Smart breakup

I love the posters who act as if this is a home run hire. I hope he is successful, but Moos did not do it again. Frost and Hoiberg were his first and only choices and he got them. Even the D1 baseball article announcing we hired Bolt said they reached out to Childress and Pat Casey first. So at best he was the third option and there may have been others before Moos settled on Will.

This isn’t to say I’m disappointed with Moos, don’t think he had much choice. I think he found out this isn’t as desirable of a job as some think. I thought it was laughable that some thought that if we just backed up the Brinks truck we could have whoever we wanted. I’ve said for a long time, that we need to get lucky and hire a low level up and comer like DVH.

As for the staff hires, I hope that’s wrong. Jeff Christy was a catcher. Do catchers make good pitching coaches?

Honestly, I feel the same way about this I did when we hired Riley. Not overjoyed but not upset either, just kind of a wait and see feel for me. In the case of Riley, it didn't turn out. Hopefully Bolt will.
Honestly I was pissed when we hired Riley. I think Bolt will do just fine though. I think it's a good hire.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Im not going to pretend I know much about his past here or coaching history. From what I understand he has no D1 HC experience. We seem to not have much luck with coaches who have no D1 HC experience. That being said, I wish him luck and hope he succeeds for a long time here.
Your right, you don't know sh$t.go play with your legos. Idiot.

I was hoping Moos would opt for a successful mid-major HC who has more of a proven track record as a recruiter and program builder - someone like Dan Heefner or maybe Matt Deggs. But time will tell - maybe Bolt can kick some butt in the Big Ten and make some noise in the regionals. Do that, .and Haymarket will come to life again pretty quickly.
Right on brotha. I think free Willie going to rock it!!

Moos does it again? This is nowhere near on the level of hiring Frost or Hoiberg. If this really is his staff, this is all pretty meh.
this is just going to have to be a wait and see how he does kind of a deal. IMO it was going to be that way no matter who we hired unless we brought back Childress or Van Horn. Any guy who hasn't proven he could do it at Nebraska no matter his success elsewhere is going to have to prove he can do it at NU. I do like the fact that he knows the landscape. Hopefully he can recruit JUCOs and the old Big 12 footprint because IMO that and the 250 mile radius is going to need to be our bread and butter for players.

I think Sjuts has the wrong Lance at SHU. I have heard it is Lance Harvell, who coached with Bolt at Texarkana Juco. Not 100% sure tho. I am kind of confused by Christy being the pitching coach as he was a catcher. When I heard they was a coach from SHU coming, I thought it was Jay Sirianni, who pitched at NU.
It is not uncommon for catchers to be pitching coaches. You see it at times in MLB as well. I like Christy in that role.

I took a stance on the hire - I don't hate it, but there were other realistic candidates that I think would have been better.

And you telling me I'm wrong would really hurt me deeply if I thought you actually knew your butt from a hole in the ground about the topic at hand. But I don't.
my impression on this hire was that his budget for the hire wasn't enough to lure the names that would have made some people on this board happy. I expect that he approached the guys that WOULD have tripped your trigger but the asking price was unrealistic. I also highly suspect that Bolt was the guy that the people he trusted to give him the best information all said hire Bolt. I'm okay with the hire. I might have preferred somebody with more experience running a program but he's been working for one of the best coaches in college baseball. If you can't hire Saban, you hire one of his coordinators.....

this is just going to have to be a wait and see how he does kind of a deal. IMO it was going to be that way no matter who we hired unless we brought back Childress or Van Horn. Any guy who hasn't proven he could do it at Nebraska no matter his success elsewhere is going to have to prove he can do it at NU. I do like the fact that he knows the landscape. Hopefully he can recruit JUCOs and the old Big 12 footprint because IMO that and the 250 mile radius is going to need to be our bread and butter for players.
Good get. Don't shit on our parade. If he can recruit. we will be back

It is not uncommon for catchers to be pitching coaches. You see it at times in MLB as well. I like Christy in that role.
It's kind of unusual, although Dave Duncan was a catcher and he became a highly successful pitching coach.

Yep think about it. They see alot more pitches and what hitters are doing than a pitcher does. Makes sense. The catcher is basically an unofficial captain of the squad. Good catchers are worth a lot.

How do you see a similarity? How many years was Riley a Head Coach ? And how many years has Will Bolt been a Head Coach?

Realistically it seems Bolt has as much experience as Bo Pelini had taking over the Football program in 2008..

Most being the key word. We can find bread and butter players in the 250 miles radius. We may have to step outside that to get a few difference makers. One thing I would like to see them do is to try to help develop baseball in to a bigger deal in smaller town Nebraska. There's kids out there who might end up being a walk on in football who IF they had any kind of coaching could be darned good baseball players. IMO IF they could some way convince kids to come to camps in the summer in Lincoln it would help baseball in Nebraska a great deal. JMHO.

Reactions: LikeNebraska
Good get. Don't shit on our parade. If he can recruit. we will be back
Ummm...I wasn't sh##ing on your parade. I just think realistic expectations are in order. He's going to have to show he can do it because unlike Frost and Hoiberg he hasn't. It's just the fact of the matter. People doing cartwheels over a "homerun hire" are setting him up for failure. I don't dislike the hire. I'm just logical in what I expect. Give the guy a chance to run his program before you put pressure on him to produce CWS teams.

How are these even comparable? Retread elderly coach with no ties to DONU versus new, young head coach with direct ties to DONU. I get that Riley failing is your pessimistic life preserver in this argument, but try harder. Erstad is a much better comp, but that's still a reach.
Both Riley and Bolt had no real accomplishments when hired. Bolt has no D1 experience as an HC. Getting a proven D1 coach is not a guarantee of success, but it leads to more confidence that it can be done again. LIke I said I never said Bolt can't be or won't be a great coach here. All Im saying is a wait and see approach is not being unrealistic. Going bat shit crazy for a guy before even stepping foot in the state is bit premature.

Reactions: saluno22
my impression on this hire was that his budget for the hire wasn't enough to lure the names that would have made some people on this board happy. I expect that he approached the guys that WOULD have tripped your trigger but the asking price was unrealistic. I also highly suspect that Bolt was the guy that the people he trusted to give him the best information all said hire Bolt. I'm okay with the hire. I might have preferred somebody with more experience running a program but he's been working for one of the best coaches in college baseball. If you can't hire Saban, you hire one of his coordinators.....
If the budget prevented NU from luring a head coach away from Dallas Baptist or Sam Houston State, that's short-sighted in my opinion. NU already pours enough resources into baseball that it should be willing to spend on a coaching staff. On the other hand, Moos might have reached out to head coaches in that category but found that they see the Big Ten as a dead end conference and would rather hold out for a gig in the SEC, ACC or Big 12. If that was the case, then Moos's hands are somewhat tied. We'll never know, so let's just hope Bolt is ready to make the leap. He's a high-energy guy with a pretty good resume, so it could work out.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If the budget prevented NU from luring a head coach away from Dallas Baptist or Sam Houston State, that's short-sighted in my opinion. NU already pours enough resources into baseball that it should be willing to spend on a coaching staff. On the other hand, Moos might have reached out to head coaches in that category but found that they see the Big Ten as a dead end conference and would rather hold out for a gig in the SEC, ACC or Big 12. If that was the case, then Moos's hands are somewhat tied. We'll never know, so let's just hope Bolt is ready to make the leap. He's a high-energy guy with a pretty good resume, so it could work out.
What salary do you think we should have offered those guys? My guess is that Bolt got less than they might have and they weren't interested. Should we have paid triple the market for those guys to get them to say yes? I suspect some of the guys who you've listed previously weren't anxious to jump to NU at any reasonable price tag. They know they're going to get their pick of plum jobs in the near future. It would be interesting to know who Moos contacted and then interviewed. The college coaches I've known in different sports always listed other things than the pay when they talked about a job. They were more concerned with their recruiting base, location, expectations and their expected longevity than they were with the salary. Granted they weren't power 5 coaches, but money wasn't at the top of their list.

How do you see a similarity? How many years was Riley a Head Coach ? And how many years has Will Bolt been a Head Coach?

Realistically it seems Bolt has as much experience as Bo Pelini had taking over the Football program in 2008..

Not saying they are similar coaches, just saying I feel the same way. With Riley I hadn't heard of him but I thought possibly with the right recruiting maybe he could do well. I don't follow baseball that closely, so Bolt isn't a name I was that familiar with. I'm hoping he can do well but I don't know enough to really know what to expect from him.

What salary do you think we should have offered those guys? My guess is that Bolt got less than they might have and they weren't interested. Should we have paid triple the market for those guys to get them to say yes? I suspect some of the guys who you've listed previously weren't anxious to jump to NU at any reasonable price tag. They know they're going to get their pick of plum jobs in the near future. It would be interesting to know who Moos contacted and then interviewed. The college coaches I've known in different sports always listed other things than the pay when they talked about a job. They were more concerned with their recruiting base, location, expectations and their expected longevity than they were with the salary. Granted they weren't power 5 coaches, but money wasn't at the top of their list.
You're the one who said it was the budget that kept Moos from aiming higher - not me. I agree that it was probably other considerations that tempered interest in the NU job. So I'm not accusing Moos of going with a cheap hire, I'm just saying I would be disappointed it that's what happened.

According to the interview with Moos on sports nightly last night, bolt is the only person he interviewed and offered. True or not? But that's what I heard.

You're the one who said it was the budget that kept Moos from aiming higher - not me. I agree that it was probably other considerations that tempered interest in the NU job. So I'm not accusing Moos of going with a cheap hire, I'm just saying I would be disappointed it that's what happened.
By "budget" I meant that he couldn't justify paying the kind of money it would take to lure some of the potential hires to NU. When you say that we screwed up if the budget kept us from hiring coach X, I take it to mean we should have just dumped a truck load at their feet and made them say no. I don't think NU baseball could justify doing that with anybody not named Van Horn or Childress. JMHO. I don't know if Moos went cheap or not. I do know, that lots of people who are more in to baseball than me think that Bolt is a good hire. We'll see. Edit: let me say more "knowledgeable about college baseball than me". I'm in to it, I just know that there's a lot of people in the world who know a helluva lot more about the inner working of baseball than me.

Last edited:
According to the interview with Moos on sports nightly last night, bolt is the only person he interviewed and offered. True or not? But that's what I heard.
Virtually every AD says that when they make a hire. The truth is that IF an AD interviews a guy, the offer has tentatively already been made pending some snag during the interview. There is no doubt that other coaches were contacted and considered but Bolt was deemed the best fit at a price both he and we could live with. Bolt will probably push his earnings over 400k with camps and side deals.

By "budget" I meant that he couldn't justify paying the kind of money it would take to lure some of the potential hires to NU. When you say that we screwed up if the budget kept us from hiring coach X, I take it to mean we should have just dumped a truck load at their feet and made them say no. I don't think NU baseball could justify doing that with anybody not named Van Horn or Childress. JMHO. I don't know if Moos went cheap or not. I do know, that lots of people who are more in to baseball than me think that Bolt is a good hire. We'll see. Edit: let me say more "knowledgeable about college baseball than me". I'm in to it, I just know that there's a lot of people in the world who know a helluva lot more about the inner working of baseball than me.
No, I never said we should back up the Brinks truck and I think offering enough money to lure away a successful power 5 coach was not realistic. I’m saying NU should be willing to pay enough to get someone like Heefner or Deggs if they are interested, but it’s entirely possible that they weren’t because of the conference affiliation.

Yeah I agree but I also think that baseball is a sport where you can literally "back the truck up" to get who you want.

The highest paid guys in college baseball make like a million a year. So there is a lot of room to work with in terms of stealing a coach.

Not for a sport that loses 750,000-million a year.

Most being the key word. We can find bread and butter players in the 250 miles radius. We may have to step outside that to get a few difference makers. One thing I would like to see them do is to try to help develop baseball in to a bigger deal in smaller town Nebraska. There's kids out there who might end up being a walk on in football who IF they had any kind of coaching could be darned good baseball players. IMO IF they could some way convince kids to come to camps in the summer in Lincoln it would help baseball in Nebraska a great deal. JMHO.
Unfortunately, most small town kids have so much football and basketball stuff going on in the summer that baseball has kind of taken a back seat. Sad, but true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT