ADVERTISEMENT

Will Bolt hired to be the next head baseball coach

Im not going to pretend I know much about his past here or coaching history. From what I understand he has no D1 HC experience. We seem to not have much luck with coaches who have no D1 HC experience. That being said, I wish him luck and hope he succeeds for a long time here.

Im not going to pretend I know much about his past here or coaching history. From what I understand he has no D1 HC experience. We seem to not have much luck with coaches who have no D1 HC experience. That being said, I wish him luck and hope he succeeds for a long time here.
His only head coaching experience was a few years at Texarkana Junior College. I guess if you want something positive along that line, both Dave Van Horn and Rob Childress were Texarkana JC head coaches at one time too.

Could the hire be Bill"s first blunder? Time will tell. Not exactly a splash hire, but 2 of 3 isn't bad. Hopefully he bumps it up a notch and expands on what Erstad had here.

Reactions: Agegoneby
I know Moos normally doesn’t like to Hire a Coach without any Head Coaching experience but in this case he might not have had any other options and thought this was the best decision.

Moos does it again? This is nowhere near on the level of hiring Frost or Hoiberg. If this really is his staff, this is all pretty meh.

I love the posters who act as if this is a home run hire. I hope he is successful, but Moos did not do it again. Frost and Hoiberg were his first and only choices and he got them. Even the D1 baseball article announcing we hired Bolt said they reached out to Childress and Pat Casey first. So at best he was the third option and there may have been others before Moos settled on Will.

This isn’t to say I’m disappointed with Moos, don’t think he had much choice. I think he found out this isn’t as desirable of a job as some think. I thought it was laughable that some thought that if we just backed up the Brinks truck we could have whoever we wanted. I’ve said for a long time, that we need to get lucky and hire a low level up and comer like DVH.

As for the staff hires, I hope that’s wrong. Jeff Christy was a catcher. Do catchers make good pitching coaches?

Reactions: Chuck003

hmm, do we trust huskeronline poster @Truehuskerfan's or highly respected head coach Rob Childress's opinion more?

you be the judge

That’s awesome. Remember the glowing endorsements Mike Riley got from coaches around the country? Coaches don’t talk shit about other coaches. And coaches who have had coaches on their staff for years aren’t going to say, not sure Will will succeed as a head coach. He is probably more of low level D1 coach or career assistant, besides his wife hates Lincoln. Ha ha

hmm, do we trust huskeronline poster @Truehuskerfan's or highly respected head coach Rob Childress's opinion more?

you be the judge
First of all, my criticism was leveled more at you marveling at the hire "Moos does it again!" as if it was comparable to Frost or Hoiberg's-both of which were unquestionably under anybody's measurements, absolutely great hires-arguably the best people available at the time. There is no way this is even remotely comparable to that. Second, of course Childress is going to say good things about him. People lauded the hire of Todd Butler at Wichita State 6 years ago-he was a longtime assistant to Dave Van Horn at Arkansas and was recommended highly by him and others. He was fired this year after not taking Wichita State to a single regional and only producing two winning seasons. So just because an assistant comes highly recommended by good coaches doesn't guarantee their success. I would have preferred a coach with D-1 head coaching experience. That doesn't mean Bolt is going to be a disaster, but I think the hire is pretty underwhelming.
I will give him this as something he has over Erstad-Bolt has real coaching experience, unlike Erstad who had 1 year as a volunteer assistant before he was hired as head coach.

Only time will tell, but to be fair many football HCs also gave Mike Riley rave reviews.

to be more fair, those comments mostly had to do with his personality. riley was a known quantity .500 head coach who got along with everyone.

Bolt is young, fiery and has skin in the game coming back to a place he made a name for himself as a 4-year starter. there is absolutely ZERO comparison between the two.

First of all, my criticism was leveled more at you marveling at the hire "Moos does it again!" as if it was comparable to Frost or Hoiberg's-both of which were unquestionably under anybody's measurements, absolutely great hires-arguably the best people available at the time. There is no way this is even remotely comparable to that. Second, of course Childress is going to say good things about him. People lauded the hire of Todd Butler at Wichita State 6 years ago-he was a longtime assistant to Dave Van Horn at Arkansas and was recommended highly by him and others. He was fired this year after not taking Wichita State to a single regional and only producing two winning seasons. So just because an assistant comes highly recommended by good coaches doesn't guarantee their success. I would have preferred a coach with D-1 head coaching experience. That doesn't mean Bolt is going to be a disaster, but I think the hire is pretty underwhelming.
I will give him this as something he has over Erstad-Bolt has real coaching experience, unlike Erstad who had 1 year as a volunteer assistant before he was hired as head coach.

leave it to a guy with 15,000+ posts but only 2,000 likes to criticize the hire 10mins after it takes place

kick rocks, pal

GBR

Reactions: Lee P and GILL T
Let me preface what I'm about to say by admitting I know less about college baseball than I do women, and I know nothing about women...but was this a job that was going to attract somebody who is significantly better? If the guy wants to be here, isn't that better than some big name you have to throw a brinks truck at just to get him to take the call?

Let me preface what I'm about to say by admitting I know less about college baseball than I do women, and I know nothing about women...but was this a job that was going to attract somebody who is significantly better? If the guy wants to be here, isn't that better than some big name you have to throw a brinks truck at just to get him to take the call?

The magic of our fearless supreme leader, MOOSE Smokin

leave it to a guy with 15,000+ posts but only 2,000 likes to criticize the hire 10mins after it takes place

kick rocks, pal

GBR
First of all, I don't make posts in order to attract likes. If they do, fine. I've never really cared much about them. You are seriously the first person who has ever pointed how many likes I have. I couldn't have even told you how many I had without looking if somebody asked me. Second of all, I've pointed out legitimate reasons to question the hire. He doesn't really even match up with the requirements Moos himself said he wanted in a head coach. Of course, I hope he succeeds. Loved him as a player. Just not real excited about him as our head coach with no D-1 head coaching experience.

Reactions: Sker
No, this may not be on the level of the Frost and Hoiberg hire.....but neither is the salary. Bolt appears to be the 3rd or 4th contacted. Maybe that is the best coach AVAILABLE without paying $800,000 a year.

to be more fair, those comments mostly had to do with his personality. riley was a known quantity .500 head coach who got along with everyone.

Bolt is young, fiery and has skin in the game coming back to a place he made a name for himself as a 4-year starter. there is absolutely ZERO comparison between the two.
Just for old time sake here is one of my favs from Mike himself:
“I love our team, I love our approach every week. We have had very few issues, except for the games."

I'm very confused as to who was expected to be hired? Childress is at A&M with a $1M buyout, the Oregon State coach has built arguably the best program in the country. We're faulting Moos for not getting them? What's next, why didn't Tito Francona leave the Indians to coach NU?

Get real, folks. This is a great hire with a big time resume, head coaching experience at one of the best jucos in the country and knows what it feels like to be a part of a winning Husker baseball program.

The last two hires were grand slams, this hire is a dribbler up the middle. Hope it works out, but color me underwhelmed and disappointed.

I look at like this: UCF should have never gave Scott Frost a shot because he was a great Assistance with out any proof..

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm very confused as to who was expected to be hired? Childress is at A&M with a $1M buyout, the Oregon State coach has built arguably the best program in the country. We're faulting Moos for not getting them? What's next, why didn't Tito Francona leave the Indians to coach NU?

Get real, folks. This is a great hire with a big time resume, head coaching experience at one of the best jucos in the country and knows what it feels like to be a part of a winning Husker baseball program.

Yeah I agree but I also think that baseball is a sport where you can literally "back the truck up" to get who you want.

The highest paid guys in college baseball make like a million a year. So there is a lot of room to work with in terms of stealing a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT