ADVERTISEMENT

Will bama ever lose another game?

The drop off, after saban leaves, will be epic (Hint, it will look similar to what us fans are seeing)

It is not so much that Saban is a great coach, it is not like he is Meyer who actually won at places that historically have sucked, but what Saban really learned was how to play the game. Not that Meyer doesn't, but Meyer also changed CFB offense.

When Saban and his connections are gone, Bama will fall and fall hard and probably get a pretty quick NCAA punishment.

The drop off, after saban leaves, will be epic (Hint, it will look similar to what us fans are seeing)

It is not so much that Saban is a great coach, it is not like he is Meyer who actually won at places that historically have sucked, but what Saban really learned was how to play the game. Not that Meyer doesn't, but Meyer also changed CFB offense.

When Saban and his connections are gone, Bama will fall and fall hard and probably get a pretty quick NCAA punishment.
Not, if they get Dabo. Clemson will offer Dabo the moon but he was born and raised in Alabama and played for the Tide.

It is always good to wait out the really good teams in jio s they fall off the face of the earth. I suppose people were saying the same about Tom, and if they were, I guess they were right.

Wouldn't it be nice to get to the top by just being good, not the other team falling on hard times?

It is always good to wait out the really good teams in jio s they fall off the face of the earth. I suppose people were saying the same about Tom, and if they were, I guess they were right.

Wouldn't it be nice to get to the top by just being good, not the other team falling on hard times?
I think FSU is a good comparison for Bama (not the NC's but the top 5 finishes),

Squelch the deep Pay to Play Infrastucture and you cull the SEC.

My ex-gf father played in the SEC in the 70s and he loved talking about all the game-cash handshakes, payouts, door cash, cash parties, etc...

Squelch the deep Pay to Play Infrastucture and you cull the SEC.

My ex-gf father played in the SEC in the 70s and he loved talking about all the game-cash handshakes, payouts, door cash, cash parties, etc...
I am sure! I don't have a problem with that, I really don't, I don't care if some loser pays a kid to play. I just want it to be even.

Brian Bosworth wrote in his book about how he got paid to play. Totally fine with that. Here should be the penalties.

1. You get caught cheating, you lose all your home games for one season. You get caught again, you lose them all home games again, for the next season.

Or

Just open it up and let boosters do what they want. That is it.

I am sure! I don't have a problem with that, I really don't, I don't care if some loser pays a kid to play. I just want it to be even.

Brian Bosworth wrote in his book about how he got paid to play. Totally fine with that. Here should be the penalties.

1. You get caught cheating, you lose all your home games for one season. You get caught again, you lose them all home games again, for the next season.

Or

The problem with #1 - I agree with where you are coming from, but what happens when an "unpaid ham sandwich" is deemed a punishable "benefit".

The problem with #1 - I agree with where you are coming from, but what happens when an "unpaid ham sandwich" is deemed a punishable "benefit".
It would not be an issue anymore. Let them pay/buy recruits.

Or...sadly, a ham and cheese = no home games that season.

You’re a tool or jealous. I’ll go with jealous and uneducated.

Or

The problem is you have to be caught during the season not the after fact by that time they already played in the names of game for the national title.

Saying “ let the boosters do what they want” is ludicrous seems that’s the problem some boosters are doing what they want now..

The problem is you have to be caught during the season not the after fact by that time they already played in the names of game for the national title.

Saying “ let the boosters do what they want” is ludicrous seems that’s the problem some boosters are doing what they want now..
I agree, it is nuts but it is going on now and the punishments don't do anything.

Not, if they get Dabo. Clemson will offer Dabo the moon but he was born and raised in Alabama and played for the Tide.
Dabo’s buyout is stupid and Bama would basically have to pay him another lifetime contract worth of money to make it worth it. Does that translate to a continued dynasty? I don’t know. Dabo got his whipped by LSU in 2019 and OSU in 2020. Even if it’s Dabo I do still think there’s a drop off

I think people hope there is a drop off after Saban leaves. That will make them feel better about about Nebraska’s current position.

Ohio St continues to be good after several coaching changes. Wisconsin is still a Top 12-15 program after a few coaching changes, they just won’t ever win a title.

Alabama’s had 5 losing seasons since Bear Bryant took over in 1958. We are the verge of having 5 losing seasons in a row.

USC has had 6 in that time frame, Oklahoma 5 in that span.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasker77
Dabo’s buyout is stupid and Bama would basically have to pay him another lifetime contract worth of money to make it worth it. Does that translate to a continued dynasty? I don’t know. Dabo got his whipped by LSU in 2019 and OSU in 2020. Even if it’s Dabo I do still think there’s a drop off

True there is only one Saban, but I don't think Alabama will drop off to irrelevancy if they get Dabo to come back home. The money issue. That won't be a factor at all.

Here is something off the subject. I don't think Sark will be the answer in Texas. He will be no better or worse than Herman. His drinking was not the only problem when at UW and USC (I am sure it didn't help and it was not a secret even in Seattle. There were plenty of people who were aware of it). He drove my Husky alum brother nuts and he was happy to see him go to USC. He can be pretty indecisive. He is 46-35 lifetime.

What if he just moves to AD?

True there is only one Saban, but I don't think Alabama will drop off to irrelevancy if they get Dabo to come back home. The money issue. That won't be a factor at all.

Here is something off the subject. I don't think Sark will be the answer in Texas. He will be no better or worse than Herman. His drinking was not the only problem when at UW and USC (I am sure it didn't help and it was not a secret even in Seattle. There were plenty of people who were aware of it). He drove my Husky alum brother nuts and he was happy to see him go to USC. He can be pretty indecisive. He is 46-35 lifetime.
No, not to irrelevant. But not like what they are now. Basically like a 2001 version of Nebraska. Good enough, but you can still see the difference in what was.

Dabo is Clemson legacy. No need to go home. They don't always go home. And, considering how much they've won, him tossing another couple of natties on the pile wouldn't even be noticed or appreciated. Clemson better not get tired of him.

Dabo is Clemson legacy. No need to go home. They don't always go home. And, considering how much they've won, him tossing another couple of natties on the pile wouldn't even be noticed or appreciated. Clemson better not get tired of him.
Fully agreed. He doesn't need to go anywhere. His situation is fantastic.

Saban IS a great coach. Before Meyer signed on at Utah, the Utes had a 71-45 record the prior 10 years before Urban came on board, and historically had over 500 wins and many bowl games before Urban showed up, so it's not like he stepped into a total loser program, far from it. Meyer certainly made the Utes better, no arguing that.

Meyer took over programs at Florida and Ohio State that had all kinds of talent, and didn't historically suck, so that narrative gets shot down.

Saban has had many assistants come and go at Alabama, but they still maintain greatness because Saban knows what he wants and his assistants coach the way he lays it out for them. To regard Saban as not being a great coach is laughable.

Check out the scores between Alabama and Florida in 2009, 2010, Meyer's last two seasons at Florida, total one sided routs handed to Meyer by Saban. Not great? I think not.

Saban IS a great coach. Before Meyer signed on at Utah, the Utes had a 71-45 record the prior 10 years before Urban came on board, and historically had over 500 wins and many bowl games before Urban showed up, so it's not like he stepped into a total loser program, far from it. Meyer certainly made the Utes better, no arguing that.

Meyer took over programs at Florida and Ohio State that had all kinds of talent, and didn't historically suck, so that narrative gets shot down.

Saban has had many assistants come and go at Alabama, but they still maintain greatness because Saban knows what he wants and his assistants coach the way he lays it out for them. To regard Saban as not being a great coach is laughable.

Check out the scores between Alabama and Florida in 2009, 2010, Meyer's last two seasons at Florida, total one sided routs handed to Meyer by Saban. Not great? I think not.
When Saban leaves, they won't fall of the radar. But, their position as the dominant, elite team in college football will likely come to an end. No one sustains that forever.

Yeah but look what Meyer did at Bowling Green even. Saban was pretty lame as a coach until he could tap into the (cheating) easy recruiting of the SEC.

Plus, Meyer changed CFB offense.

Saban just changed CFB recruiting.

Saban's lame ass MSU record gives you a clear idea that it has been players/not coaching.

And didn't Meyer piss-pound Bama with a non-P5 Utah team?

So when Meyer had lame players, he still kicked ass.
When Saban had lame players...he finished like 6th, with MSU.

When Saban leaves, they won't fall of the radar. But, their position as the dominant, elite team in college football will likely come to an end. No one sustains that forever.
When Saban leaves, Bama will go through 3-4 coaches in the next 10 seasons.

Formula for winning:
Disciplined team + The top talent from every recruiting class = Winning

If Bama, Clemson, and Ohio St keep landing the top talent each year and they keep their superstars grounded then they will continue winning each year. Its that simple.

Edit: And if they can avoid probation and sanctions.

Well, some interesting comments here.

What a shocker that Bama won't win forever, elite teams eventually fall. Who would have ever guessed that?

Argue all day if Saban and Meyer are good coaches by looking at records. In early years, most coaches are still at the bottom of their learning curve. It doesn't happen over night. And sure, they do lose games, sheez, that's to be expected but who wouldn't want a team like Meyer's (pick one) or Bama's that win consistently and throw in Clemson now.

I don't think many people understand how difficult, really only a very elite group, to take a team to the top and consistently stay there over time. Many schools have a history of getting to the top but eventually fall on hard times. Count the Huskers in that group. So when so many are saying Bama will "fall off" when Nick leaves, it may happen but compared to where they are now, it likely won't be significant. We would love to have that kind of "decline".

I would think by now that people would understand what it takes to win and stay on top. It takes that very rare and exceptionally talented person leading. There have been a few in history and Nebraska was fortunate to have one of those in Tom. So everyone can sit back and hope for Bama to fall on hard times once Saban leaves and it likely will happen but we should be more concerned about what it takes to build a program into a National juggernaut. We are so far from that point, it ain't even worth mentioning. The space between is much bigger than anyone thinks - we aren't talking winning, we are talking winning all the time and constantly being in the conversation for the NC and getting and retaining great players. Until our recruiting and coaching improve significantly, we will consistently be in the also-ran group hoping others come down to our level.

This reminds me of kids I had in schools that weren't interested in working hard enough in school to get good grades, they were more interested in the top kids coming down to them.

Reactions: DarkHorse93
ADVERTISEMENT