ADVERTISEMENT

Wide Receivers

zamzman

Senior
Jul 1, 2004
My guess is Robinson, Warner, and Manning as the 3 starting wideouts. Not much experience at all other than Warner and Robinson. So many newcomers and freshmen will be need to play. Maybe McCaffrey will even get some snaps, but I expect he'll be focused on winning the QB job.

Maybe Alante Brown is next? What about the redshirt freshmen? Hickman or Nance? Even Manning who I've projected to start hasn't played a down at NU. Will Betts play? He was a big-time recruit, and seems to be another one in the big WR mold who might play along with Manning.

So WR is the position for this upcoming season which is most in flux as far as I am concerned. Even at OLB which is a big concern, at least we have seen most of the candidates. The WR position is just a question mark.

I agree. I see the two deep like this:

WR.
Manning
Betts

WR.
Warner
Brown (I think Brown takes this job after a couple games)

Duck-R
Wandale
Flemming

Reactions: huskerssalts
Omar Manning, Wan’Dale Robinson and Wade Warner as our starting 3 WRs isn’t a bad guess. And it very well could happen. Warner is a solid WR and he is a very good blocker too. But don’t be surprised if Alante Brown, Zavier Betts, D Houston or Marcus Fleming (Jamie Nance could be a dark horse) don’t push things or jump into the starting lineup at WR at some point. I have heard some good things about D Houston this offseason and hearing he’s ready to make that jump...GBR

Reactions: zamzman
Omar Manning, Wan’Dale Robinson and Wade Warner as our starting 3 WRs isn’t a bad guess. And it very well could happen. Warner is a solid WR and he is a very good blocker too. But don’t be surprised if Alante Brown, Zavier Betts, D Houston or Marcus Fleming (Jamie Nance could be a dark horse) don’t push things or jump into the starting lineup at WR at some point. I have heard some good things about D Houston this offseason and hearing he’s ready to make that jump...GBR
People seem to forget about Houston for some reason. I think he has a better chance than any of the true freshman. Fleming is the true freshman I see having the highest chance pushing for playing time.

Just to think outside the box I will propose something a little different.

I have been contemplating Hickman's role. He could be put in the z-spot or he could be a slot guy as a Y-TE. That gives you a bigger body for crackbacks closer to the box. You then could pair him with a speed slot in an OR situation to mix it up. I might also throw Falck's name in the ring as a Z wr. Has experience to bring to the table. Would be similar to Warner. They could do a lot of shuffling of WR between slot and Z, but here's one possible way to group them.

X Manning,Betts or Houston
Slot Robinson,Hickman or Nance,
Z Warner or Brown,Falck,

Reactions: huskerssalts
Don't assume Manning or Betts starts, they will have zero practices in this offense. Being able to catch a football is one thing, knowing where it's going to be is quite another.

Is either of them on campus yet?

Don't assume Manning or Betts starts, they will have zero practices in this offense. Being able to catch a football is one thing, knowing where it's going to be is quite another.

I guarantee you Manning starts. He's as talented as they come and may be the best player on our team this year.

Frost likes to see his WRs block and have heard Hickman is an excellent blocker. So I see him in the mix for sure. WR is the least of my concerns this year.

Frost likes to see his WRs block and have heard Hickman is an excellent blocker. So I see him in the mix for sure. WR is the least of my concerns this year.
I think he will move back to TE, now that we have more WR’s. We are super upper class man heavy at TE.

Reactions: husker2612

they're both on campus.

you like to ask these already-answered-a-hundred-times questions about eligibility, don't you?

I think we will run the football a lot this year anyways. So, wideouts that can block, are going to be important.

Reactions: husker2612

Omar Manning is the #1 JUCO skill player in the country. Here are 8 of the last 10 offensive JUCO players ranked #1 in the country:

Cam Newton
Zach Mettenberger
Coradelle Patterson
Deon Long
Tyreek Hill
Alvin Kamara
Taj Williams
Jarrett Stidham

Manning will absolutely be a day one starter for the Huskers.

It’ll be interesting to watch Nance and Houston. Both were 4 star guys and Houston’s offer list was impressive.
Yet they get less of the discussion since they didn’t pop in year one and we got the 2020 class to discuss.
Both have that track speed also.

There will be some competition among all these still young/new guys. That’s exciting even if we all wish the room was more “established.”

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Omar Manning is the #1 JUCO skill player in the country. Here are 8 of the last 10 offensive JUCO players ranked #1 in the country:

Cam Newton
Zach Mettenberger
Coradelle Patterson
Deon Long
Tyreek Hill
Alvin Kamara
Taj Williams
Jarrett Stidham

Would love for him to belong in that company. If he can be Maurice Purify caliber we have something.

Color me jaded by all the brutality of the last couple decades of NU football, I dare not dream any more.

Would love for him to belong in that company. If he can be Maurice Purify caliber we have something.

Color me jaded by all the brutality of the last couple decades of NU football, I dare not dream any more.

You can still be jaded about Nebraska football. He could be great and Nebraska football could still suck.

My point is Manning is up there with the likes of Lavonte David and Randy Gregory as far as the JUCO caliber.

You can still be jaded about Nebraska football. He could be great and Nebraska football could still suck.

My point is Manning is up there with the likes of Lavonte David and Randy Gregory as far as the JUCO caliber.

dead on, we have landed our fair share of JUCO players over the years but they are never ranked inside the Top 10 JUCO players. Manning is a legit Top 1 or 2 player in the country. Those guys tend to pan out better then guys not ranked at all or ranked in the low teens or 20s range. Omar Manning is legit WR talent.

My guess is Robinson, Warner, and Manning as the 3 starting wideouts. Not much experience at all other than Warner and Robinson. So many newcomers and freshmen will be need to play. Maybe McCaffrey will even get some snaps, but I expect he'll be focused on winning the QB job.

Maybe Alante Brown is next? What about the redshirt freshmen? Hickman or Nance? Even Manning who I've projected to start hasn't played a down at NU. Will Betts play? He was a big-time recruit, and seems to be another one in the big WR mold who might play along with Manning.

So WR is the position for this upcoming season which is most in flux as far as I am concerned. Even at OLB which is a big concern, at least we have seen most of the candidates. The WR position is just a question mark.
At this point in time, my first and number one concern about the passing game is having a QB that can actually deliver catchable passes. Unless that happens nothing else will matter in the passing game.

Cam Newton
Zach Mettenberger
Coradelle Patterson
Deon Long
Tyreek Hill
Alvin Kamara
Taj Williams
Jarrett Stidham

Wow. Thanks for that list. That's why I support juco recruiting. We should be able to pluck a couple very talented kids each year. And then think if we could open an iowa western pipeline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT