ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you bring this guy with you?

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
From the front page links:
"The problem is that this season is just the latest in a streak of poor showings for Banker's units over the past few years. In his last season at Oregon State in 2014, the Beavers ranked 74th nationally in total defense (406.3 ypg), 91st in passing defense (248.1 ypg) and 96th in scoring defense (31.6 ppg). In 2013, they ranked 100th, 84th and 90th in those categories, respectively."
Seriously, you are starting fresh at Nebraska, why would you trust this assistant? Why are you still trusting him after the first 9 games here?

Because Riley over-estimated our talent and was blindsided by toxic nature of the locker room.

Reactions: sthusker
"The problem is that this season is just the latest in a streak of poor showings for Banker's units over the past few years. In his last season at Oregon State in 2014, the Beavers ranked 74th nationally in total defense (406.3 ypg), 91st in passing defense (248.1 ypg) and 96th in scoring defense (31.6 ppg). In 2013, they ranked 100th, 84th and 90th in those categories, respectively."
Seriously, you are starting fresh at Nebraska, why would you trust this assistant? Why are you still trusting him after the first 9 games here?
We got "Cosgroved again."

Reactions: Nebraska Gator II

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle.

In this case, it's because Riley trusts and believes in him.

Because Riley over-estimated our talent and was blindsided by toxic nature of the locker room.

No doubt about it...but even if we had solid talent and zero lockeroom cancers Banker would still be a marginal hire. What it boils down to is Riley and Bankers friendship...we have been down this road before and it never ends well. Banker is not going to magically become a great DC over night. He is Riley's guy and it may lead to his walking papers at NU.

"I guess in the football sense of it, I know his extensive defensive football background," Riley said. "Then I know even more about the character and the work that goes into it, the preparation that's done, and the bases that are covered. I've been with him through thick and thin, good seasons and bad, top-rated defenses and not so much. But I know the consistent work and the soundness that goes into how we teach and what we do. Now, obviously those are words, and you don't see it, but I know what's behind that."

this was pointed out right after riley and banker's hire countless times by numerous posters. we shouldn't be surprised that it continued here.

No matter what happens the last 3 games Riley will be back next year. The bigger question is will he make the necessary changes to his coaching staff? What is amazing is that "3" coaches have had DC experience before.

No matter what happens the last 3 games Riley will be back next year. The bigger question is will he make the necessary changes to his coaching staff? What is amazing is that "3" coaches have had DC experience before.

Riley like doesn't view staff changes as necessary. I'd like to see some changes too, but if I was a betting man, I'd say he's not going to make any this year.

To be quite honest, I'd be curious if any sport stat place had a number of the number of coaches undergoing a year 1 to year 2 transition, what the average number of assistant replacements are. I would bet its durn near zero excepting for the few guys that go and get better jobs or raises or whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT