ADVERTISEMENT

Why not just label the balls?

For all those asking why the women didn't notice the size of the ball...they did. What I don't know is why nobody listened to their concern. They should have...it isn't fair that they complain about, everything, and we have to pick and choose when they have a legit beef.
OH
MY
GOD

If this was a joke and I think it was...it was PERFECT.

If you were serious, well, Alan Alda wants to shake your hand.

I was at UNL in the mid 90's, we used to get some guys together every Wednesday and go to the Devaney and scrimmage against the Lady Huskers basketball team. We'd warm up while they were practicing, then about the last 30 minutes of their practice we'd scrimmage them, with refs and scoreboards and all. (One of our buddies' cousin was a team manager, so Coach Beck asked if she could find some boys to scrimmage against, so she asked our buddy to round up some guys)

We'd show up with 6 or so guys (one sub), some had played Class A varsity, some lower class B/C/D varsity, some got cut from varsity and some that didn't play basketball at all in high school- so a good mix of talent.

The girl Huskers would generally beat us in half court scrimmages, inbounds plays, etc. But when we'd get to full court scrimmages, we'd usually beat them. They were always competitive scrimmages, pretty evenly matched. But we were too fast in the open court for them.

This was when they were Top 25 if I recall correctly.
Did they box you out well?
george-costanza-panic.gif

For sure!

Honestly though...If you took the best D1 female team...what age level of boys could they beat, say, 5/10 times?

I am guessing...HS freshmen??? Maybe?
HS freshman? That’s a stupid statement. My guess would be the The All state class A team in Nebraska would beat any Woman’s team.

Reactions: viewfromthebooth
I remember in high school having separate bins for men's and women's balls. They were pretty clearly marked. Forget if they had the circumference printed on them or if it was just labeled w or m. But zero chance you wouldn't immediately know. Huge difference in feel.
How did they go a whole half. Would have taken 10 seconds to sort it.

Weird.
I remember in high school having separate bins for men's and women's balls. They were pretty clearly marked. Forget if they had the circumference printed on them or if it was just labeled w or m. But zero chance you wouldn't immediately know. Huge difference in feel.

Weird.
What are the officials doing, they should notice it before the toss the tip. And the first player that touches the ball has to notice. I am not sure I believe that actually happened.

Yes not a chance. Maybe some top tier HS varsity teams with multiple kids going D1.. You're not just picking some random HS team off the street with NO college athletes and beating South Carolina or Uconn
"Maybe some top tier HS team with multiple D1s?" Maybe? LOL. Not even close.

A decent Class B team or top C-1 is all that it would take. Just think about the difference in size and athleticism. How many girls on UConn can dunk in traffic or block a shot at rim level? A good C-1 team may have four kids at least 6'4" with maybe a couple athletic kids over 6'. I've known of C-1 teams with eight players who can dunk. Those women's teams wouldn't stand a chance. A friend of mine had a friend who played D-1 women's b-ball and was also a member of the US Women's Olympic team. She would play pickup ball with intramural players in the off-season (but only with guys she knew and trusted not some fat ass who would get her hurt). She couldn't keep up with them, but they let her play because she was their friend.

For many years, college kids were recruited by Connie Yori to scrimmage with the NU women. I've known a couple of them. They would run the opponent's defenses. And they had to dial it back in order not to completely disrupt things.

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
How the hell did none of the players notice that in the first half?? I would notice if it were a women’s ball
Every women's ball I've ever seen clearly says 28.5 on it. And if her team didn't notice that or the difference in size & weight well that is on them.

But just a side note. How the hell does the event coordinator and that group of officials make that mistake? That's ridiculous. A 14 year old volunteer at the Y wouldn't make that mistake. And $6,000 worth of officials can't notice that?

Every women's ball I've ever seen clearly says 28.5 on it. And if her team didn't notice that or the difference in size & weight well that is on them.

But just a side note. How the hell does the event coordinator and that group of officials make that mistake? That's ridiculous. A 14 year old volunteer at the Y wouldn't make that mistake. And $6,000 worth of officials can't notice that?
I can't remember the schools involved, but a few years ago there was a girls/boys Nebraska high school double-header where the people in charge failed to change game balls at the start of the boys' game. The refs noticed it at halftime, and they switched to the proper ball.

Some kid had scored like 22 points in the first half, and they asked him if he knew they were using a girls' ball. He said, "Hell yes I knew, but I was on fire. I wasn't gonna say anything."

Why don't they go back to those ridiculous., three-colored basketballs.

This board always has to have a post once a month to make sure everyone knows how old and white all the posters are

For all the shit older white males get from non older white males is it not ironic and kind of funny that almost every non older white male......moves out to where we live as soon as they can afford it? We make amazing neighbors.

This is like when Ronda Rousey was great in the UFC and the dudes that had a crush on her were convinced that she could be a guy.

Every varsity boys team has at least 1 dude that can dunk and 5-8 dudes that can touch the rim.

There might be 5 girls in all of CBB that can dunk.

For all those asking why the women didn't notice the size of the ball...they did. What I don't know is why nobody listened to their concern. They should have...it isn't fair that they complain about, everything, and we have to pick and choose when they have a legit beef.

I’ll say this for Iowa (and Oklahoma did it too) I liked watching the 3 on 3 style of women’s basketball those states played. 3 best offensive players played offense and 3 best defensive players played defense. Made for some really entertaining games to watch.

What are the officials doing, they should notice it before the toss the tip. And the first player that touches the ball has to notice. I am not sure I believe that actually happened.
So much this. It's quite noticeable. If you throw a softball out to a baseball pitcher, he's not going to toss 3 innings before going "hey, wait a minute, somethings off here."

imagine if you could get a men's ball in there and bet the under.

This thread title should have been “Duke women played with men’s balls”.
Singular though to be technically correct. We used to practice with the old yellow oversized medicine ball. I honestly don't know if that thing helped or hurt. I understand what the attempt was. If so the females should practice with men's balls everyday. Would make them better shooters and everyone would feel better. Themselves included I'll say

Sounds like she wanted to make alot to do about nothing. Lib route of "get angry. Point (racist/(gender/etc blame). Assign it to a target.

Weird.
It should have taken the players ten seconds to know they were playing with men's ball. How aware were these players? You give me a women's ball and I know it right away. When I was younger I use to have friends over to play 2 on 2 on my long driveway. We would set the rim at 8 1/2 feet or so and play with a youth league basketball that is even smaller than a women's ball. No goal tending was allowed so we could shoot 3s but we did not have to take the ball back on a rebound. Made for lots of fun games

It should have taken the players ten seconds to know they were playing with men's ball. How aware were these players? You give me a women's ball and I know it right away. When I was younger I use to have friends over to play 2 on 2 on my long driveway. We would set the rim at 8 1/2 feet or so and play with a youth league basketball that is even smaller than a women's ball. No goal tending was allowed so we could shoot 3s but we did not have to take the ball back on a rebound. Made for lots of fun games
Gal's basketball is too strange - my hands wrap around it too easy.. I could forward with a bounce

Hell, there were minute differences between brands of basketballs. This just seems weird.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT