ADVERTISEMENT

Why Mickey WILL Be Head Coach

Mike, as well as Mickey had no head coaching experience.
From Gabinet's bio:

"Before joining the Mavericks, Gabinet was the head coach of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in 2015-16. He led the Ooks to the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference Championship with a 36-0 record, only the second time in 51 years that a team had finished undefeated in the conference. He was named ACAC Coach of the Year and became the first rookie head coach to guide his team to an undefeated season in Canadian college hockey history."

Nebraska is not going to hire Mickey Joseph as head coach, and the on-field results will put that idea to rest soon enough. Love the guy and hope he can stay because he is a real asset to the program.

Fwiw a former blackshirt said early on that he expected this hire to be some young guy most people had never heard of. That means a young up and comer to me. UTSA’s h ad coach is one possibility. I’ve heard a couple of other names I can’t remember now.

I can’t help but feel though that Mickey and Busch were brought in for this possibility. Most are forgetting that Trev and Mickey were teammates. Trev knows him well and what his capabilities are.
I think this is probably right. I don't think we'll get any of the big names mentioned. I just hope we open up the checkbook for top notch assistants.

Since TO
Solich - promoted to HC from program. Last conference title and won a lot of games.
Callahan - NFL HC, coached Raiders in the Super Bowl. Conference title game, but two losing seasons
Pelini - promoted from DC. Three conference title games, never won less than nine games. But that wasn't enough.
Riley - long term HC at Oregon St. One winning season in three.
Frost - Key assistant at Oregon, undefeated HC at UCF. No winning seasons.

So for NU, the two guys with the least amount of head coaching experience had the most success and it isn't even close.

Since TO
Solich - promoted to HC from program. Last conference title and won a lot of games.
Callahan - NFL HC, coached Raiders in the Super Bowl. Conference title game, but two losing seasons
Pelini - promoted from DC. Three conference title games, never won less than nine games. But that wasn't enough.
Riley - long term HC at Oregon St. One winning season in three.
Frost - Key assistant at Oregon, undefeated HC at UCF. No winning seasons.

So for NU, the two guys with the least amount of head coaching experience had the most success and it isn't even close.
No one is advocating for a Callahan/Riley hire. Those were terrible hires, everyone knew it when they happened. Your argument only makes sense if you’re willing to make come to a nonsense conclusion along the lines of “therefore clearly we can see that the less experienced candidate is ALWAYS the better choice.” Nonsense.

No one is advocating for a Callahan/Riley hire. Those were terrible hires, everyone knew it when they happened. Your argument only makes sense if you’re willing to make come to a nonsense conclusion along the lines of “therefore clearly we can see that the less experienced candidate is ALWAYS the better choice.” Nonsense.
I'm old enough to remember the hype train for Bill C, especially when he was landing some nice recruits. Riley was a swing and miss, but I would say that until year 3, people were mostly on board or perhaps relying on hopium. And Frost's hype was messiah level.
What I'm saying is that outside of just a handful of guys, hiring a head coach is a gamble with varying probability that is candidate dependent. I think most of us thought Frost was a lock to get us back on the right side of winning. How wrong we were.

I'm old enough to remember the hype train for Bill C, especially when he was landing some nice recruits. Riley was a swing and miss, but I would say that until year 3, people were mostly on board or perhaps relying on hopium. And Frost's hype was messiah level.
What I'm saying is that outside of just a handful of guys, hiring a head coach is a gamble with varying probability that is candidate dependent. I think most of us thought Frost was a lock to get us back on the right side of winning. How wrong we were.
That’s reasonable. I also remember the Callahan hype train but I also remember his hire being a giant WTF? moment. I won’t be mad if they hire Mickey but I will be surprised at that level of risk considering where we are.

Reactions: bshirt73
From Gabinet's bio:

"Before joining the Mavericks, Gabinet was the head coach of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in 2015-16. He led the Ooks to the Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference Championship with a 36-0 record, only the second time in 51 years that a team had finished undefeated in the conference. He was named ACAC Coach of the Year and became the first rookie head coach to guide his team to an undefeated season in Canadian college hockey history."

Nebraska is not going to hire Mickey Joseph as head coach, and the on-field results will put that idea to rest soon enough. Love the guy and hope he can stay because he is a real asset to the program.
I stand corrected. Good find.

That’s reasonable. I also remember the Callahan hype train but I also remember his hire being a giant WTF? moment. I won’t be mad if they hire Mickey but I will be surprised at that level of risk considering where we are.
The expected response would be to hit reset and cashier all of the staff. And that may indeed happen, depending on the performance of the team. But the fan base is tiring of all of the drama and of course the losing. Since Frost and Chinander's departure, the team has at least played closer to their potential. And maybe NU wins that game if Reimer and Heinrich are on the field instead of gimped up or in street clothes on the sideline.
At this point, unless Alberts thinks he has a stone cold lock as a hire, choosing Joseph over (insert Campbell/Aranda/PJ etc.) is not associated with an appreciable level of increased risk of losing, certainly not in the short term. Both Joseph and Busch are known as ace recruiters and have also proven that they can adjust approaches during the game. They also know the roster deficiencies better than someone who is currently coaching elsewhere.
Unless the recruiting service rankings are hot garbage, NU has recruited well enough over the past few years to be a top 25 program and in the hunt to make a CCG. Given the data available, it is pretty clear to me that player development has to be the weak link. S and C, practice habits, and talking about accountability but not applying it all are contributors.

Has nothing to do with on the field results and everything to do with Trev Alberts history as AD while at UNO. Towards the end of Dean Blias run as head coach of the hockey team, Trev brought in Mike Gabinet, who as you might guess, played for UNO in the early 2000’s. He was named… Wait for it… Associate Head Coach. When Dean Blais retired, take a guess who got the job… Yep, Mike Gabinet. Mike, as well as Mickey had no head coaching experience. So if history is any indication, Trev is not afraid to hire from within the organization. In all, Mikey’s tryout may be less about wins and losses (because nobody is saving this train wreck this year), and more about how he handles the day to day operations of job, which up to this point has been solid to good.

So take this as you will, but history shows Mickey is not out of the running here by a long shot.
Yeah but can he recruit a All Conference NT......if not he needs to stick with the WR room.

Mickey has proven that he can recruit the state of Louisiana. But can he recruit nationally?
Other than Urban Meyer, which other coaches being mentioned in this search are proven, national recruiters?

Leipold? Klieman? Kiffin? Campbell? I haven't looked at those rosters, but I don't think any of them are known to be national recruiting titans. No disrespect intended.

Other than Urban Meyer, which other coaches being mentioned in this search are proven, national recruiters?

Leipold? Klieman? Kiffin? Campbell? I haven't looked at those rosters, but I don't think any of them are known to be national recruiting titans. No disrespect intended.
were those other guys recruiting at LSU?

no doubt Mickey can recruit - but LSU recruited at an elite level before MJ, and will recruit at an elite level w/o MJ

they currently have 23 commits - 17 of which are 4 stars including the #3 ranked WR class in the nation

LSU replaced MJ with Georgia's WR coach- passing game coordinator

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
Has nothing to do with on the field results and everything to do with Trev Alberts history as AD while at UNO. Towards the end of Dean Blias run as head coach of the hockey team, Trev brought in Mike Gabinet, who as you might guess, played for UNO in the early 2000’s. He was named… Wait for it… Associate Head Coach. When Dean Blais retired, take a guess who got the job… Yep, Mike Gabinet. Mike, as well as Mickey had no head coaching experience. So if history is any indication, Trev is not afraid to hire from within the organization. In all, Mikey’s tryout may be less about wins and losses (because nobody is saving this train wreck this year), and more about how he handles the day to day operations of job, which up to this point has been solid to good.

So take this as you will, but history shows Mickey is not out of the running here by a long shot.
Lock him up!!!!

I don't see how these are similar situations in any way. Your rant just makes me beleive you have no grasp over where Nebraska stands in the college football landscape, or the college football landscape as a whole let along basic context. Unless Mickey gets us to a bowl game or at minimum 2 more wins...zero shot he is hired.

Dean Blaise had great success at UNO and handed over a program that went to the frozen 4....Scott frost does not equal Dean Blaise....idk how you could even think these are relevant or comparable situations you must be incredibly bored. By far the worst post ive seen on this board since that one guy said Mickey is "65%" hired lmao

Dean Blaise had great success at UNO and handed over a program that went to the frozen 4....Scott frost does not equal Dean Blaise....idk how you could even think these are relevant or comparable situations you must be incredibly bored. By far the worst post ive seen on this board since that one guy said Mickey is "65%" hired lmao
Consider his last nerve “touched”. 😂.

I am surprised that there are still Mickey hold outs.

Give it up, guys. That ship has sailed.

He has brought in some talent from his former stomping grounds for sure. Talent cures a lot of what ills us. Would like to keep him as a recruiter, but that doesn’t qualify him to be a head coach.
Depends on who his coordinators are. Urban was never a coordinator and some might say he was successful.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Agree 1000%

You are stupid.

Mickey has proven that he can recruit the state of Louisiana. But can he recruit nationally?

Four lower-level Louisiana schools had head coach openings last year (Louisiana, Louisiana Tech, Grambling, Southern). None of them seriously considered hiring Mickey, who is supposedly very well-known and well-liked in that state.

But people think a Big Ten school in the midwest should hire him?

That's the big question because other than Meyer no one is almost guaranteed to be successful at NU. The question with Meyer is longevity.

If you want to look at the age factor, then someone who is probably mid 50's or less.

Almost all the top coaches are in their 40's nowadays, with the exception of Saban and a couple others.

Patterson is 62, Meyer is 58. Kyle Whittingham is 60.

Just my opinion based on the fact that I play no part in what criteria or who Trev ultimately hires.

just saying it behooves Trev to try to find his "perfect fit" for a decade or so that he doesn't have to hire a HC every 4 years or so.
Urban is the answer and here’s why. As said previously, we can “possibly” expect a health scare that would be the reason to retire. If he does he leaves NU in a much better position than when he came. He will leave an established staff from which the possible next head coach could be picked from. The reasons I don’t think he will pull his normal bs are the amount of resources at NU, his knowledge of B1G and with the possible expansion of the playoffs winning the West is probable. Lastly he politicked for the NU job in my opinion during the “Big Noon Kickoff show” when he took us down memory lane about Nebraska history and even picked NU to beat OU.

Four lower-level Louisiana schools had head coach openings last year (Louisiana, Louisiana Tech, Grambling, Southern). None of them seriously considered hiring Mickey, who is supposedly very well-known and well-liked in that state.

But people think a Big Ten school in the midwest should hire him?
Maybe he wasn't interested in those jobs.

Maybe he wasn't interested in those jobs.
Very true - but if he is turning down opportunities to be a head coach at lower division 1 schools in favor of remaining a position coach then he isn’t serious about being a power 5 head coach

From Gabinet's bio:

Mgbreis with the receipts👍

Urban is the answer and here’s why. As said previously, we can “possibly” expect a health scare that would be the reason to retire. If he does he leaves NU in a much better position than when he came. He will leave an established staff from which the possible next head coach could be picked from. The reasons I don’t think he will pull his normal bs are the amount of resources at NU, his knowledge of B1G and with the possible expansion of the playoffs winning the West is probable. Lastly he politicked for the NU job in my opinion during the “Big Noon Kickoff show” when he took us down memory lane about Nebraska history and even picked NU to beat OU.
He's not coming because he's not even remotely interested. When will you guys get that through your thick skulls?

He's not coming because he's not even remotely interested. When will you guys get that through your thick skulls?
I don't have a thick skull, but as you said, I have a shitload of time.

In reference to Urban Meyer, I was responding to Pennsy about who, other than Urban Meyer, is a proven national recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT