ADVERTISEMENT

Why Mickey WILL Be Head Coach

Nate004

Senior
Feb 13, 2007
Has nothing to do with on the field results and everything to do with Trev Alberts history as AD while at UNO. Towards the end of Dean Blias run as head coach of the hockey team, Trev brought in Mike Gabinet, who as you might guess, played for UNO in the early 2000’s. He was named… Wait for it… Associate Head Coach. When Dean Blais retired, take a guess who got the job… Yep, Mike Gabinet. Mike, as well as Mickey had no head coaching experience. So if history is any indication, Trev is not afraid to hire from within the organization. In all, Mikey’s tryout may be less about wins and losses (because nobody is saving this train wreck this year), and more about how he handles the day to day operations of job, which up to this point has been solid to good.

So take this as you will, but history shows Mickey is not out of the running here by a long shot.

Has nothing to do with on the field results and everything to do with Trev Alberts history as AD while at UNO. Towards the end of Dean Blias run as head coach of the hockey team, Trev brought in Mike Gabinet, who as you might guess, played for UNO in the early 2000’s. He was named… Wait for it… Associate Head Coach. When Dean Blais retired, take a guess who got the job… Yep, Mike Gabinet. Mike, as well as Mickey had no head coaching experience. So if history is any indication, Trev is not afraid to hire from within the organization. In all, Mikey’s tryout may be less about wins and losses (because nobody is saving this train wreck this year), and more about how he handles the day to day operations of job, which up to this point has been solid to good.

So take this as you will, but history shows Mickey is not out of the running here by a long shot.
It may very well happen that the next head football coach is the guy currently in charge (MJ).

MJ has done a lot of things well so far given the situation. I think the difference in the way the team has been playing than when Frost was here is night and day. The adjustments after halftime have been really good also. MJ seems like a coach the players trust and knows how to motivate to get the best out of each player. We’ll see what happens! GBR!!

It may very well happen that the next head football coach is the guy currently in charge (MJ).

MJ has done a lot of things well so far given the situation. I think the difference in the way the team has been playing than when Frost was here is night and day. The adjustments after halftime have been really good also. MJ seems like a coach the players trust and knows how to motivate to get the best out of each player. We’ll see what happens! GBR!!

We just fired a guy who was an expert at losing by one possession. Not sure we want another one.

I don’t think you want to bring up trevs history of AD if you want to have faith.

• Haha
Reactions: BigRedTed
Interesting theory really. Didn't know any of that.

The man behind the man(dude you need a shorter SN) is right though, one thing that Mickey has been able to get right it seems is make positive halftime adjustments. When was the last time a Nebraska HC had a penchant for making good halftime adjustments?

I’m not attacking your post but trying to dig into the thought process. What has he done well other than be mostly competitive? The Frost coached teams might’ve beat horrible Indiana and and equally horrible Rutgers, get boatraced by OU and then lose a 1 possession game to Purdue. It all sounds like the same music, but with a different conductor. I think he is just getting credit for not being Scott Frost. We are creating our own narrative here. Win a game a or 2 that we weren’t supposed to win, then I’ll feel like he has made an impact. The credit I will give him is that the train has derailed and come completely off the tracks. Again, I like Mickey and it would be a helluva feel good story if he got the gig, but I just gotta be the wet blanket here I guess.

I’m not attacking your post but trying to dig into the thought process. What has he done well other than be mostly competitive? The Frost coached teams might’ve beat horrible Indiana and and equally horrible Rutgers, get boatraced by OU and then lose a 1 possession game to Purdue. It all sounds like the same music, but with a different conductor. I think he is just getting credit for not being Scott Frost. We are creating our own narrative here. Win a game a or 2 that we weren’t supposed to win, then I’ll feel like he has made an impact. The credit I will give him is that the train has derailed and come completely off the tracks. Again, I like Mickey and it would be a helluva feel good story if he got the gig, but I just gotta be the wet blanket here I guess.
Are you unfamiliar with Mickey's track record in recruiting? As a mere position coach??
Imagine him recruiting a whole TEAM of palmers.

That's what people are excited about - other than the fight and half time adjustments of course.

If we go with Mickey, first year will be slightly better than this season. Probably a bowl game, of not one this season.

Year two is the big one for him by the time he's got some dudes on the roster. Year three could be the year at the latest to push for the conference.

Anyone thinking this is gonna take any less than some REAL rebuilding is delusional. Regardless of who we go with. At least NIL and transfer portal help our case some in the short term. You bet Mickey will be all over it if named the guy.

Are you unfamiliar with Mickey's track record in recruiting? As a mere position coach??
Imagine him recruiting a whole TEAM of palmers.

That's what people are excited about - other than the fight and half time adjustments of course.
He has brought in some talent from his former stomping grounds for sure. Talent cures a lot of what ills us. Would like to keep him as a recruiter, but that doesn’t qualify him to be a head coach.

If we go with Mickey, first year will be slightly better than this season. Probably a bowl game, of not one this season.

Year two is the big one for him by the time he's got some dudes on the roster. Year three could be the year at the latest to push for the conference.

Anyone thinking this is gonna take any less than some REAL rebuilding is delusional. Regardless of who we go with. At least NIL and transfer portal help our case some in the short term. You bet Mickey will be all over it if named the guy.
We likely won’t have Palmer next year. That will be a huge loss.

Anyone thinking this is gonna take any less than some REAL rebuilding is delusional. Regardless of who we go with. At least NIL and transfer portal help our case some in the short term. You bet Mickey will be all over it if named the guy
I think if you get a few difference makers at key positions that you could turn things around quickly. Gimme a stud JUCO OT a stud linebacker and a stud DT and things could look up. Remember we’ll get Nouilli back as well

Experience has taught us that the AD’s career at NE is tied to the coach they choose. It would take a significant amount of evidence to convince Trev to take a shot on a candidate without HC experience. I feel like MJ will not have the time to build a strong case for HC.

Reactions: HuskerLegion
You need to research more his recruiting prowess and putting players in the league.
Cool. Pay him big money to be a recruiting coordinator. Mostly kidding. We definitely need a dynamic recruiter at Nebraska and he fits that bill.

so we get ron brown as hc....he can handle the press stuff, talk to players bout doing things right / recruiter
mickey as oc assitant head coach / recruiter (he can be out talking to 4 and 5 stars, and not sipple and callahan)
doug belk as dc / recruiter

maybe keep the rb coach / recruiter
and I don't know about fisher or not..some say he does well but has too many players to coach...they were going to split his duties with bill / recruiter
and keep bill for special teams / talks to nebraska corperations bout maybe prying the wallet open for nil..
show them scrooge with albert finney

then hire the best ol/dl coaches we can find

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
It might have taken 60 to beat Indiana, 45 to beat Rutgers, and about 70 to beat Purdue if Chin were still the DC under Frost.

No, he won't

Get lost troll.
We all know he was here last week under another name. Which one was he?
PDKzCpu.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Laner2 and headcard

Just as a fan, my criteria is not very long. But, it does include a few things:

I don't want some "rebound" coach.

Urban would be a slam dunk, but likely never here more than 2-3 years or as long as it takes HIM to restore HIS coaching reputation.

I wouldn't hire the next HC, unless he could, in a perfect world, be the HC here for 10 years of so. Assuming he gets the thing moving in the right direction and puts NU back into relevant status. In other words, I don't want someone like Ruhle who would be gone in 2-3 years looking for a new challenge.

I don't want someone like O'Brien who leaves Alabama and has a reputation of wanting to run everything, yet, lacks the success to back up that type of thinking.

I think Campbell wanted the NU job badly, just based on his sideline antics of the last 2 weeks. I don't remember him hopping up and down and getting out of control pissed off by a bad call. Maybe I'm wrong.

None of us know, but I'm not sure how much interest LL has in the NU job. He and his family may be real happy in Lawrence.

I've always thought guys like Fickle, Lane, Gus, Gundy, and several others mentioned had zero interest in this job.

I think Freeze would jump at the NU job, but I don't want him, and he will maybe take any P5 job that's offered to him. I think the same thing with Gary Patterson, though his days as head coach are limited by his age.

It would be nice to return to the 8-10 year head coach that has enough success to keep the administration and fans relatively happy.

Harm avoidance is a powerful human element, so I think Trev's number one priority is trying to ensure he remains the AD for many, many years. As such, I think he will hire who he feels WILL give NU the best shot at returning to relevancy and that will be his number one reason for whomever HE hires.

If he makes the right hire and success follow the football team, Trev gains long term employment. If Trev makes a mistake, we all know how that ends.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Just as a fan, my criteria is not very long. But, it does include a few things:

I don't want some "rebound" coach.

Urban would be a slam dunk, but likely never here more than 2-3 years or as long as it takes HIM to restore HIS coaching reputation.

I wouldn't hire the next HC, unless he could, in a perfect world, be the HC here for 10 years of so. Assuming he gets the thing moving in the right direction and puts NU back into relevant status. In other words, I don't want someone like Ruhle who would be gone in 2-3 years looking for a new challenge.

I don't want someone like O'Brien who leaves Alabama and has a reputation of wanting to run everything, yet, lacks the success to back up that type of thinking.

I think Campbell wanted the NU job badly, just based on his sideline antics of the last 2 weeks. I don't remember him hopping up and down and getting out of control pissed off by a bad call. Maybe I'm wrong.

None of us know, but I'm not sure how much interest LL has in the NU job. He and his family may be real happy in Lawrence.

I've always thought guys like Fickle, Lane, Gus, Gundy, and several others mentioned had zero interest in this job.

I think Freeze would jump at the NU job, but I don't want him, and he will maybe take any P5 job that's offered to him. I think the same thing with Gary Patterson, though his days as head coach are limited by his age.

It would be nice to return to the 8-10 year head coach that has enough success to keep the administration and fans relatively happy.

Harm avoidance is a powerful human element, so I think Trev's number one priority is trying to ensure he remains the AD for many, many years. As such, I think he will hire who he feels WILL give NU the best shot at returning to relevancy and that will be his number one reason for whomever HE hires.

If he makes the right hire and success follow the football team, Trev gains long term employment. If Trev makes a mistake, we all know how that ends.

Who could potentially be available that would meet that criteria?

Who could potentially be available that would meet that criteria?
That's the big question because other than Meyer no one is almost guaranteed to be successful at NU. The question with Meyer is longevity.

If you want to look at the age factor, then someone who is probably mid 50's or less.

Almost all the top coaches are in their 40's nowadays, with the exception of Saban and a couple others.

Patterson is 62, Meyer is 58. Kyle Whittingham is 60.

Just my opinion based on the fact that I play no part in what criteria or who Trev ultimately hires.

just saying it behooves Trev to try to find his "perfect fit" for a decade or so that he doesn't have to hire a HC every 4 years or so.

That's the big question because other than Meyer no one is almost guaranteed to be successful at NU. The question with Meyer is longevity.

If you want to look at the age factor, then someone who is probably mid 50's or less.

Almost all the top coaches are in their 40's nowadays, with the exception of Saban and a couple others.

Patterson is 62, Meyer is 58. Kyle Whittingham is 60.

Just my opinion based on the fact that I play no part in what criteria or who Trev ultimately hires.

just saying it behooves Trev to try to find his "perfect fit" for a decade or so that he doesn't have to hire a HC every 4 years or so.
Fwiw a former blackshirt said early on that he expected this hire to be some young guy most people had never heard of. That means a young up and comer to me. UTSA’s h ad coach is one possibility. I’ve heard a couple of other names I can’t remember now.

I can’t help but feel though that Mickey and Busch were brought in for this possibility. Most are forgetting that Trev and Mickey were teammates. Trev knows him well and what his capabilities are.

Interesting theory really. Didn't know any of that.

The man behind the man(dude you need a shorter SN) is right though, one thing that Mickey has been able to get right it seems is make positive halftime adjustments. When was the last time a Nebraska HC had a penchant for making good halftime adjustments?

Who knew MJ was the only coach in CFB that knew how to make halftime adjustments?

Fwiw a former blackshirt said early on that he expected this hire to be some young guy most people had never heard of. That means a young up and comer to me. UTSA’s h ad coach is one possibility. I’ve heard a couple of other names I can’t remember now.

I can’t help but feel though that Mickey and Busch were brought in for this possibility. Most are forgetting that Trev and Mickey were teammates. Trev knows him well and what his capabilities are.
Maybe Tulane's Willie Fritz or Jeff Traylor the UTSA coach? Those two nobody has ever heard about in the discussions?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Who knew MJ was the only coach in CFB that knew how to make halftime adjustments?

Mickey Joseph>ANY sub 70% head coach.

I at least can hope with Mickey, he hasn't proven to suck yet.

If Nebraska cannot get one of the good coaches, and I mean good like on the level of Devaney pre Nebraska, then they might as well let someone who loves the University give it a shot. At least they care about more than money.

I tend to agree with this. I'm not as concerned with the W/L this season as I am with how the team is playing. Even though they lost on Saturday night I never once saw any quit out of them and that's huge considering what they have been through and exposed to. If they finish out the season with no signs of quitting, I think they should give MJ a full season to see what he can do. Everyone wants the sexy hire. Where do you think those guys come from? Why not see if Mickey can become one of those guys before we break the bank on someone else?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT