ADVERTISEMENT

Why Michigan would have beaten the 1997 Nebraska team...

Funny as hell, a 60 IQ Michigan fan coming around and looking for some kind of validation that Michigan was better. The only thing they would have been better at had they played Nebraska was scoring fewer points and losing the game.RollingLaugh

How this turns out:

1) Enough of these threads, started intentionally to provoke fans on a free board, get going until someone up here gets pissed. Pissing match begins between dude starting the threads and fans up here.

2) Other Michigan fans, who make their way up here over the course of a normal week visiting the board of this week's competition, notice said pissing match, which by this time involves family histories.

3) Some of those Michigan fans take offense to things posted in the pissing match, and jump in to protect their brand.

4) People get banned.

5) All of the 4 UCF fans who follow their program spend a night creating 67 screen names relating to both Nebraska and Michigan. They then spend a collective 153 hours during the week arguing with each other up here using these 67 screen names.

6) The 4 UCF fans congratulate each other on their creativity and marvel at Nebraska fans' obsession with the UCF program. They only cease posting for a couple hours during the week in order to attend one of their birthdays at Chuck E Cheese.

7) Monday morning Purdue fan shows up, first post "Purdue owns your sorry asses"

Last edited:
Nebraska had 2 games in 1997 that were within a touchdown, both on the road: at Missouri (W 45-38) and at Colorado (W 27-24).
Michigan had 4 such games, none in a true road game (3 at home, 1 neutral site): vs. Notre Dame (W 21-14), vs. Iowa (W 28-24), vs. Ohio State (W 20-14), Rose Bowl vs. Washington State (W 21-16).

Both teams finished the season with consecutive games against teams that finished ranked in the AP Poll:
Nebraska: Neutral Site vs. #20 Texas A&M (W 54-15), Neutral Site vs. #7 Tennessee (W 42-17)
Michigan: Home vs. #12 Ohio State (W 20-14), Neutral Site vs. #9 Washington State (W 21-16)

Oh, I bet that got your attention didn’t it? Yes, The 1997 National Title that will forever be argued about of who really was the better team.

Point#1. One of the Best defenses ever! Led by Heisman Trophy winner/cornerback/return man/wideout Charles Woodson, the 1997 Wolverines put up a statistical wall, finishing the year No.1 in total defense, scoring defense and passing defense. Six of Michigan’s opponents -half- were held to 7 points or less. The Wolverines allowed foes only 9.5 points per game on the season.

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

Woodson was dominant in all phases,

Two common opponents that Michigan and Nebraska played that year were Colorado and Baylor and Michigan whipped Colorado 27-3 and Baylor 38-3 and Nebraska has to hold on vs Colorado 27-24 and beat Baylor 49-21.

Michigan’s defense is the #1 reason I believe Michigan would have defeated Nebraska if the two teams ever got to play.

I’m sure Nebraska fans will disagree and it is a shame Michigan vs Nebraska didn’t get to be settled on the field.

Nebraska gave up 214 points to its opponents and Michigan gave up 114 points. 100 points less!!! That’s why I believe Michigan would have beaten Nebraska in a game. What say you?

Oh, I bet that got your attention didn’t it? Yes, The 1997 National Title that will forever be argued about of who really was the better team.

McChicken preferred to play in a lower bowl game than play for the national title. That was a good decision in hindsight, the got a share. If they hadn't played Washington State they wouldn't have that!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm not even going to dignify this with one of my very caustic but entertaining get the h out of here responses to the usual troll/cockroach toilet overflow sewer rats that come on here with their putrid smelling bs

I watched one Michigan game that year from start to finish...vs WSU...a horrible team. The game could have went either way.

If Phillip Fulmer doesn't vote Michigan like 5th or 6th in the coaches poll Michigan might have won it outright. Nebraska also had to escape Missouri on a lucky play that year. Iowa also led Michigan 21-7 at the half in Ann Arbor that year and lost 28-24.
Iowa should have won that game...with ease.

Point#1. One of the Best defenses ever! Led by Heisman Trophy winner/cornerback/return man/wideout Charles Woodson, the 1997 Wolverines put up a statistical wall, finishing the year No.1 in total defense, scoring defense and passing defense. Six of Michigan’s opponents -half- were held to 7 points or less. The Wolverines allowed foes only 9.5 points per game on the season.

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

Two common opponents that Michigan and Nebraska played that year were Colorado and Baylor and Michigan whipped Colorado 27-3 and Baylor 38-3 and Nebraska has to hold on vs Colorado 27-24 and beat Baylor 49-21.

Michigan’s defense is the #1 reason I believe Michigan would have defeated Nebraska if the two teams ever got to play.

I’m sure Nebraska fans will disagree and it is a shame Michigan vs Nebraska didn’t get to be settled on the field.

Nebraska gave up 214 points to its opponents and Michigan gave up 114 points. 100 points less!!! That’s why I believe Michigan would have beaten Nebraska in a game. What say you?

You’ll get some bites. Anything to relive the 90’s. Folks won’t pass that opp to talk about “decades ago” like it was yesterday or somehow right around the corner!!

“I think it would’ve been a good game, but I would have to give the edge to Michigan,” notes former Colorado coach Jon Embree, who as an assistant on the 1997 Buffs staff. “They had the talent and ability on defense to handle the physical style of football that the Nebraska offense played with.”

Well there you have husker fans. Michigan would have beaten Nebraska in 1997!

The associated press poll is without question carries more prestige and clout than the tainted biased coaches poll where the coaches don’t even have to disclose who they voted for. Coaches are biased and fat Ohil Gulmer cites Michigan 4th in the final poll because his golden boy was beat out by Charles Woodson for the Heisman trophy. Michigan lost the coaches poll by 4 points. AP poll carries more weight and the coaches gave Tom Osborne a retirement gift.

Michigan was robbed of the outright National Title by the coaches poll and the lobbying by Scott Frost on the Orange Bowl telecast. Nebraska knew they had to blow out Tennessee to have any shit at a split title and that’s what they did.

The coaches poll is biased and not as accurate as the AP poll. It’s common sense folks. Thank God we have a playoff to determine the National Champion today.
Why are you bringing all this crap up now? It's not like Nebraska and Michigan haven't played since 1997. Are you going to do it every time we play?

The dead horse refuses to die. It must be part of the walking dead.

If Phillip Fulmer doesn't vote Michigan like 5th or 6th in the coaches poll Michigan might have won it outright. Nebraska also had to escape Missouri on a lucky play that year. Iowa also led Michigan 21-7 at the half in Ann Arbor that year and lost 28-24.
Spoken like a true Iowa fan. You mad because you've never been part of a debate like this? LOL.

Reactions: SOHusker11

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

are you guys still crying over this? NEWS--that crystal ball trophy isn't going anywhere 60W-3L, mechicken wasn't even close to that

Again, not Michigan’s fault. The abig Ten and PAC 10 wanted to have their champions meet in the Rise Biel which is the best Bowl game hands Diwn!

You're living in the past. There's really not much use for the bowl games any longer. Need to expand the playoffs to 8. Yeah, you got your Rose Bowl and almost lost to Ryan Leaf! Worlds best... :rolleyes: Laughing

1997 NU would stomp 1997 Michigan. Your defense was better on paper. There's no question that our offense was better. Superior by far. If would have been fun to settle it on the field, but the Big Ten pussed out. So, we may never know or you can accept the fact that I'm right about this.

How is Charles Woodson (Raiders fan, love the man) going to stop the Huskers running game? He's going to be out covering our vaunted receivers (sarcasm cuz our strength was not passing). Then play action pass to the TE to punish you for putting 8 in the box. I'd have invited you to put 8 in the box against that team.

You know what would happen if UM brings up Woodson to fill the gaps? He gets mowed over. P-A-N-C-A-K-E. I honestly don't think it would be as pretty as I'm telling it. It would get ugly. Basically, you guys would get beat up. At least it would be the last game of your season. You could then rest up from the ass kicking.

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

Which team squeaked by a Washington St that didn’t even win their conference and which team wiped the floor with Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis?

Just like Michigan had to “hold on” to beat 7-5 Iowa and 7-6 Notre Dame, you throw the logic out on rivalry games. Not to mention, you had them opening day in Ann Arbor and Nebraska had them last game of the season AT Colorado.

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

#2 C. Woodson... umm hello Nebraska wasn’t throwing the ball more than 15x a game. Power I and option Football. BLUF: C Woodson would have been irrelevant in this game. #GAMD

Reactions: wholeo

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

I don't think Michigan has won an outright NC since the forties. Too bad the big ten was scared of the bowl coalition back in the 90's.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
michigan was ducking the NC game with the ducks, while Nebraska beat tenn in the NC game.
no way they would beat NU on dr. Tom's last game....NU d would have shut michigan down, and NU's offense would of put 27 on michigans d. heck tenn had payton manning and he wasn't doing much.

We faced the 3rd-ranked team in the nation and blew them out, had back-ups in at the end. Mich played the lower ranked team. At the end Michigan's starters were still in, and on their heels, Wazzou was driving towards the winning score. I'm really not feeling good about this weekend, but our team back in '97 was better.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Point.#2 Charles Woodson

Nice cut and paste job from the "Land of 10" article! Jeez dude, at least use your own words if you're going to start a debate. The best part about this is that it's great to see how much this still bothers UM fans, Husker fans don't concern themselves with this argument as we know our offense would have rolled Woodson and the UM defense.

Last edited:
“I got a phone call the day after Nebraska played Tennessee (in the Orange Bowl), and I had stayed in Los Angeles (after the Rose Bowl) for recruiting, and I got that phone call that said ‘coach you just won the national championship from The Associated Press,” former Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr said via MLive.com in 2014. “And I knew, based on what we had done (that we would win the AP national title), and I fully expected to win the coaches’ vote.”

“(But) it was explained to me that we had lost and the way the balloting ended up, one coach voted us fourth or two coaches voted us third,” Carr continued. “I didn’t tell the team that, I didn’t want them to dwell on negatives. But I was extremely bothered by it and I still am.”

Michigan lost the coaches poll by 4 points! 1,520 to 1,516

One coach voted Michigan 4th in the final poll and two coaches voted Michigan 3rd and that is how Michigan was screwed out of winning the coaches poll. Yes, I’m angry about it and I will never forgive the 3 coaches who screwed over Michigan.

Michigan fans will always be upset of having to split the national title with Nebraska. Nebraska fans were elated they got a share of the Title Michigan has won.

This is my last post on this subject but I want the Nebraska fans to know how Michigan fans felt the outright title was robbed from Michigan. Two 3rd place votes and 1 4th place vote. Any of you Nebraska fans would feel exactly the same if it happened to Nebraska. The coaches poll is very flawed and political and each vote should be public record for all to see.

Tough shit. NU fans were enraged at the chickenshit AP dropping NU in the polls. Something that hadn't been done prior to that. They then bumped a team that spent the entire year at around 15-20 into the top 10 so they could have a match up that they thought people wouldn't laugh at.

Be happy you got a share of something you didn't deserve you arrogant prick.

Dru065b.gif

Reactions: HuskerLegion
“I got a phone call the day after Nebraska played Tennessee (in the Orange Bowl), and I had stayed in Los Angeles (after the Rose Bowl) for recruiting, and I got that phone call that said ‘coach you just won the national championship from The Associated Press,” former Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr said via MLive.com in 2014. “And I knew, based on what we had done (that we would win the AP national title), and I fully expected to win the coaches’ vote.”

“(But) it was explained to me that we had lost and the way the balloting ended up, one coach voted us fourth or two coaches voted us third,” Carr continued. “I didn’t tell the team that, I didn’t want them to dwell on negatives. But I was extremely bothered by it and I still am.”

Michigan lost the coaches poll by 4 points! 1,520 to 1,516

One coach voted Michigan 4th in the final poll and two coaches voted Michigan 3rd and that is how Michigan was screwed out of winning the coaches poll. Yes, I’m angry about it and I will never forgive the 3 coaches who screwed over Michigan.

Michigan fans will always be upset of having to split the national title with Nebraska. Nebraska fans were elated they got a share of the Title Michigan has won.

This is my last post on this subject but I want the Nebraska fans to know how Michigan fans felt the outright title was robbed from Michigan. Two 3rd place votes and 1 4th place vote. Any of you Nebraska fans would feel exactly the same if it happened to Nebraska. The coaches poll is very flawed and political and each vote should be public record for all to see.
You were damn lucky you got anything, go cry somewhere else. 1997 Michigan is widely recognized as one of the most undeserving national championship teams of all time. Don't believe me? Go away and look it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT