ADVERTISEMENT

Why I've been so angry with this football team

Riled Up

Walk On
Oct 13, 2019
Despite being called a troll, I am in fact a die hard Husker fan. I've been to every football game for the last 5 years. This year felt like the tipping point. It embodied what we have been so well. A hyped up team that loses in dumb ways. Colorado demonstrated this perfectly. Just watching us crumble every year gets excursiatingly painful. I do have a ton of faith in Frost though. I think he can take us to 10-2 and a top 25 team consistently. Husker Nation just needs to stay patient. Don'y hype every QB and every team. Let the wins come as they may, same with the recruits. From here on out, no more trolling. Just gonna spread dat love.

Reactions: mgbreis and timnsun
Despite being called a troll, I am in fact a die hard Husker fan. I've been to every football game for the last 5 years. This year felt like the tipping point. It embodied what we have been so well. A hyped up team that loses in dumb ways. Colorado demonstrated this perfectly. Just watching us crumble every year gets excursiatingly painful. I do have a ton of faith in Frost though. I think he can take us to 10-2 and a top 25 team consistently. Husker Nation just needs to stay patient. Don'y hype every QB and every team. Let the wins come as they may, same with the recruits. From here on out, no more trolling. Just gonna spread dat love.
If after five years, seeing us come close to osu, beating a decent msu team, almost beating iowa twice,out gaining wiscy, and theres no light at the end of the tunnel, donr know what youve been watching.
Haters of the Huskers like to say, the guys we recruit get an automatic bump, but going 4-8 and 5-7, show me a team thats done that.
Again, dont know what youve been watching.
So, did we kick arse in recruiting this year or not?
Oh, and getting a top three O lineman and top LB, yea,you spread that love, it's earned.

Reactions: Wyldcard

If this staff can find a way to miraculously coach, teach, and scheme as good as they can recruit with losing seasons, we're in good shape.

If this staff can find a way to miraculously coach, teach, and scheme as good as they can recruit with losing seasons, we're in good shape.
The hyperbole is a bit much... miraculously? Really? Come on... tone the drama down a bit, maybe... what you need is to be patient. They will show you the goods. I liked what Nikki said... Frost is recognizing we need to be bigger in the B1G and he is remedying that. It will happen.

The hyperbole is a bit much... miraculously? Really? Come on... tone the drama down a bit, maybe... what you need is to be patient. They will show you the goods. I liked what Nikki said... Frost is recognizing we need to be bigger in the B1G and he is remedying that. It will happen.
It'd be a miracle if patience is shown,maybe thats what he meant.

I agree about the hyperbole. “Miraculously”? The dude just never lets up.

I don’t think we even begin to understand how hobbled this staff has been by a lack of overall talent (no 1st team all B1G players), a lack of quality depth, a lack of playmakers on defense, and inopportune injuries. Not to mention a guy, Mo Washington, who we really, really needed this year, flaming out. All of those factors negatively impact play calling and game scheming. For example, how do you scheme blitz packages when you don’t have a single linebacker who has the physical ability and instincts to do it? Answer, you blitz corners and safeties which leave you vulnerable in the secondary. Or... how do you scheme pass coverages differently when you know the opposing QB will get a nice clean pocket and have seven or eight seconds to throw? Or how do you create more vertical passes or QB runs when your QB is all banged up and so is his backup? How do you create a vertical passing game when your receivers are not getting open? You end up calling too many swing passes because that is all you got. How do you create counter action running plays or zone read runs when your offensive line is inexperienced and learning on the job?

Football really is a deeply synchronized team sport. If one or two pieces of the equation aren’t right, the whole damn thing can look really ugly, really fast. And it can make a coaching staff look incompetent and stupid, even if they aren’t. Frost and staff have recruited their asses off and brought in a level talent we haven’t seen here in years. We are going to turn this around and it will be sooner rather than later. Ain’t no miracles needed.

I agree about the hyperbole. “Miraculously”? The dude just never lets up.

I don’t think we even begin to understand how hobbled this staff has been by a lack of overall talent (no 1st team all B1G players), a lack of quality depth, a lack of playmakers on defense, and inopportune injuries. Not to mention a guy, Mo Washington, who we really, really needed this year, flaming out. All of those factors negatively impact play calling and game scheming. For example, how do you scheme blitz packages when you don’t have a single linebacker who has the physical ability and instincts to do it? Answer, you blitz corners and safeties which leave you vulnerable in the secondary. Or... how do you scheme pass coverages differently when you know the opposing QB will get a nice clean pocket and have seven or eight seconds to throw? Or how do you create more vertical passes or QB runs when your QB is all banged up and so is his backup? How do you create a vertical passing game when your receivers are not getting open? You end up calling too many swing passes because that is all you got. How do you create counter action running plays or zone read runs when your offensive line is inexperienced and learning on the job?

Football really is a deeply synchronized team sport. If one or two pieces of the equation aren’t right, the whole damn thing can look really ugly, really fast. And it can make a coaching staff look incompetent and stupid, even if they aren’t. Frost and staff have recruited their asses off and brought in a level talent we haven’t seen here in years. We are going to turn this around and it will be sooner rather than later. Ain’t no miracles needed.
Fact, we know MR didn't try to develope, SnC was an option.
Fact, Maliek Collins worked after practice, hit the weights,ran,on his ow.
Fact, Maliek Collins got drafted.
Fact, none of our guys have reached those levels in our upperclassmen besides Luke ,yes, home grown football loving guy who didn't even make Big considerations.

With no nfl calibre, no Big 1st or 2nd team guys, it's fact we don't have a ton of talent.

Fact, 27 guys from last years class are still on this team,mostly redshirts.
Fact, only the jucos arent upperclassmen next year, besides a gandful of guys from SFs first class.
Fact,we are young in a conference who's coaching is top notch,and their recruiting is improving.

Fact, we have people ignoring the above and just see win now,well,last time I looked, this isnt the nfl, no draft with great players mostly guaranteed, no trades etc.
Fact, we need to be patient.

Fact, none of our guys have reached those levels in our upperclassmen besides Luke ,yes, home grown football loving guy who didn't even make Big considerations.

With no nfl calibre, no Big 1st or 2nd team guys, it's fact we don't have a ton of talent.

Fact, only the jucos arent upperclassmen next year, besides a gandful of guys from SFs first class.
Fact,we are young in a conference who's coaching is top notch,and their recruiting is improving.

Fact, we have people ignoring the above and just see win now,well,last time I looked, this isnt the nfl, no draft with great players mostly guaranteed, no trades etc.
Amen

Reactions: Wyldcard

Our front 7 on D were plenty big enough, just poorly coached and not athletic enough.

Reactions: oldjar07

But yet Mike Riley has outcoached this staff on the field so far.

But yet Mike Riley has outcoached this staff on the field so far.
You are confusing having a slightly better record with out coaching. Riley inherited a better roster than the one he left Frost.

You are going to look like a total fool once Frost turns this around. I doubt you will still be posting here. You won’t have anything to bitch about.

Our front 7 on D were plenty big enough, just poorly coached and not athletic enough.
If they weren’t athletic enough (and I agree they weren’t) how do you know that they were poorly coached? How do you know that they weren’t well coached but just lacked talent?? Are you an expert in defensive line coaching? Please tell us what was poorly coached. Be specific. Please... share your wisdom ...

I am going to be patient. He needs to go bowling the next 2 years and win the conference by 2026. He needs to stop talking about playing indiana more often and winnable games though. Great coaches prepare their teams the same for ISU as they do for Oklahoma.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I am going to be patient. He needs to go bowling the next 2 years and win the conference by 2026. He needs to stop talking about playing indiana more often and winnable games though. Great coaches prepare their teams the same for ISU as they do for Oklahoma.
Generally I agree with this. He said too much about Indiana... I get it, the talent disparity between Nebraska and Ohio State is off the charts... as he closes that gap (the gap will always be there, just not such a large gap) and gets his players, he needs to keep his mouth shut about who the guys are playing and just take it to whoever the team plays.

You are confusing having a slightly better record with out coaching. Riley inherited a better roster than the one he left Frost.

You are going to look like a total fool once Frost turns this around. I doubt you will still be posting here. You won’t have anything to bitch about.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Generally I agree with this. He said too much about Indiana... I get it, the talent disparity between Nebraska and Ohio State is off the charts... as he closes that gap (the gap will always be there, just not such a large gap) and gets his players, he needs to keep his mouth shut about who the guys are playing and just take it to whoever the team plays.
Indiana has had nice offenses for years, had a breakout year this year even.

Then if thats all, you'll be happy. Indiana had their best showing in a long time so....
https://www.clickondetroit.com/spor...stakes-against-best-indiana-team-in-25-years/
Like 25 years according to these guys.

I seriously doubt you have the faintest clue what it takes to be a great coach.

If you haven't read things from players and others, you should.
Wheres your link disproving this, it's widely known and accepted?
I accept your invitation to read about optional S&C under Riley but I can't find anything published. Hence, the link request.

I mean such a policy, if true, is such a radical departure from well established protocols at major college football programs -at least since the 1960's- you would think that one of the regular Husker beat writers would have a piece exposing it. I can't find one.

Last edited:
I accept your invitation to read about optional S&C under Riley but I can't find anything published. Hence, the link request.

I mean such a policy, if true, is such a radical departure from well established protocols at major college football programs -at least since the 1960's- you would think that one of the regular Husker beat writers would have a piece exposing it. I can't find one.
Then ask others if they've heard this, ask formers players if you know any, and it isn't just under MR that know this.
Besides, find the stories of Collins staying late. Funny how he did so well, self motivated and all.

True or False;
Our Defensive Coach and Outside linebackers Coach were once again new, and absent this last year? Do you think that may have played a part in your “poorly coached” theory? How many new Defensive Line coaches have the Defensive line had in the last 5 years? Continuity plays a huge role in development.

True or False;
Our Defensive Coach and Outside linebackers Coach were once again new, and absent this last year? Do you think that may have played a part in your “poorly coached” theory? How many new Defensive Line coaches have the Defensive line had in the last 5 years? Continuity plays a huge role in development.
So, lets see, not athletic enough, check
New D line coach and OLB coach went through cancer, check.
All thats left is our front seven.

It’s been pretty brutal. I was a freshman at NU in 1997, so, I always have to remind myself that I was spoiled.

Reactions: bshirt73
Then ask others if they've heard this, ask formers players if you know any, and it isn't just under MR that know this.
Besides, find the stories of Collins staying late. Funny how he did so well, self motivated and all.
Your claim is sounding more like bar stool chatter than established fact. You wrote:

"Fact, we know MR didn't try to develope, SnC was an option"

You have not provided substantive evidence in support of your claim. Asking others if they heard this claim is not proof and their response would be hearsay in any event- an inherently unreliable form of substantiation, mere gossip.

Again, you claimed a fact. Prove it.​

This would be great, I hope Frost does get this turned around and stops underachieving. I'll be much happier and less critical of his job performance.

If they weren’t athletic enough (and I agree they weren’t) how do you know that they were poorly coached? How do you know that they weren’t well coached but just lacked talent?? Are you an expert in defensive line coaching? Please tell us what was poorly coached. Be specific. Please... share your wisdom ...
Our team looked very poorly coached on the Dline. Every once in a while one of the Davis twins would inexplicably shoot across the entire line and the running back would run past the spot they just vacated. I don't know of any situation where that makes sense or is taught by coaches. Plus the Dline liked to play patty cake and didn't look like they knew how to shed a block and they didn't play very well with leverage. All of these things are basic fundamentals that our players were below average to poor in executing. And you really don't have to be a great athlete to execute any of them, just practice the fundamentals and you're most of the way there.

Pretty much sums it up right there.
right now is the time to make sure the third string center is not snapping his zingers. so it doesn't happen 3 years down the road.

right now is the time to teach the 3rd string tackle not to jump off sides. so it doesn't happen 3 years down the road.

these fires need to be extinguish prior to the player being on the field alot. I think frost is getting there, to that special place dr. Tom had the team where the bottom of depth chart had all the non sensical mistakes being ironed out before they seen the gridiron of game time.

one thing we have been fortunate of not seeing on the oline is the richie incognito 15 yard personal foul, that would rear it's ugly head every other posesion.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT