ADVERTISEMENT

Why is the Offensive Line so bad ...

onechase

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
Is it because we did not recruit more Linemen or is it because we just missed out on a lot of talented Linemen or is it because of coaching? I thought we were recruiting some pretty good line men the past several years.

Last edited:
4cd7f5c24634131f34d8b807da9d3298.jpg

Reactions: Sinomatic
I watched a replay of the game. I spent most of the time watching the o line. Jaime's and foster held up ok. Although I think foster is overweight and not quick enough. Farmer is strong but is slow and looks lost especially when he gets to the 2nd level.
Conrad imo is not talented enough to play d1.
Farniok looked ok physically but had to many busts.

The backs had to make ppl miss in the backfield several times. Bunch made some costly mistakes but with that kind of protection I'm not surprised.

Like Scott said there is a long way to go.

Not much talent out there when you watch good teams like And maybe it’s just my opinion, but comparing Clemson,Bama, Georgia, Wisconsin in comparison.

Maybe it’s just my opinion, but the post is “why is the o-line so bad”, not why is the o-line not top notch. I understand the words “so bad” is subjective. Maybe you share the same views of Ricky Bobby “if you’re not first, your’re last”.

But it’s my view that to answer to the question of why are we so bad, with because we don’t have elite talent is not an answer. We can have ok talent and not be “bad”, the line would be just “ok” and good enough to make a bowl game with 6 or 7 wins. A lot of bowl teams don’t have “Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Wisconsin” talent on the lines and are solid. I’d say 90% or more bowl teams don’t.

I believe the talent on the O-line we have is capable of winning enough games to make this team good enough to play in a bowl. The line moved Colorado’s D-Line and at times it moved Troys too. I believe Stormthecourt? And Bruce1981 are right. This line was awful in the weight room for 3 years. 9 months isnt enough time in the weight room to turn things around to the point where it lines up and runs it right down anyone’s throat. A coach that you defended mind you. And I’m not knocking you. I think if Steve-O from jackass was our coach, you’d defend him. But that’s you and nothing wrong with it

Also, as Bruce1981 touched on a little, when the QB can’t really run nor can he throw it down the field, it makes it easy for a Defense to defend. It heavily puts pressure on that line to try to win battles.

Hey, but did you notice how they got right back up after the DL ran past them? Great reactions!

Part of the problem is they go against our DL in practice. I am not convinced our DL gives them much of a challenge. My mind keeps going back to the A&M/Clemson game after the Colorado game. Just an explosion of talent on the screen vs what I had been watching. Our DL has as far to go as our OL. The pipeline used to practice against Wistrom, Peter, Rucker, Tomich...,,,

The whole line was cut blocking on the play these two just missed

I think alot of people are missing that. Mind you, it doesn't make their execution any better, but it's not like it wasn't what they were supposed to do (cut block, that is, not whiff).

Not much talent out there when you watch good teams like Clemson,Bama, Georgia, Wisconsin in comparison.
I'd kick out Wisconsin and add Oklahoma and Ohio State to the list. These are the elite teams of college football and when you watch one of their games you realize we're nowhere close to that level.

Maybe it’s just my opinion, but the post is “why is the o-line so bad”, not why is the o-line not top notch. I understand the words “so bad” is subjective. Maybe you share the same views of Ricky Bobby “if you’re not first, your’re last”.

But it’s my view that to answer to the question of why are we so bad, with because we don’t have elite talent is not an answer. We can have ok talent and not be “bad”, the line would be just “ok” and good enough to make a bowl game with 6 or 7 wins. A lot of bowl teams don’t have “Clemson, Bama, Georgia, Wisconsin” talent on the lines and are solid. I’d say 90% or more bowl teams don’t.

I believe the talent on the O-line we have is capable of winning enough games to make this team good enough to play in a bowl. The line moved Colorado’s D-Line and at times it moved Troys too. I believe Stormthecourt? And Bruce1981 are right. This line was awful in the weight room for 3 years. 9 months isnt enough time in the weight room to turn things around to the point where it lines up and runs it right down anyone’s throat. A coach that you defended mind you. And I’m not knocking you. I think if Steve-O from jackass was our coach, you’d defend him. But that’s you and nothing wrong with it

Also, as Bruce1981 touched on a little, when the QB can’t really run nor can he throw it down the field, it makes it easy for a Defense to defend. It heavily puts pressure on that line to try to win battles.

but it seems the LEAST they could do is get in somebody's way

The whole line was cut blocking on the play these two just missed

yeah, it was just all in the timing of their dives. It would be a false start in Olympic swimming competition. Last year on 4th and 1's, it was the Leeeeean technique.

Yes, they were attempting cut blocks. Everyone on the line, except the center, are doing cut blocks on that play. The left side of the line does ok. But the right side whiffs. Maybe someone on here who knows about offensive line blocking can comment on this. Is it standard practice to try and cut block a player who is not in a three point stance and is standing up, one yard off the line??

Last edited:
It’s simply bad recruiting and no player development in the O-line. People drooled all over themselves when the great 4 star Jalin Barnett committed. He had no business being on the team. That’s the microcosm of what we have right now. I have no doubt they will develop under this staff. It’s just gonna take a little time to restock the pipeline.

Look who we had coaching them (Cananaugh) for crying out loud! It’s gonna take a couple more years before this team is good enough to win our division.

I'd kick out Wisconsin and add Oklahoma and Ohio State to the list. These are the elite teams of college football and when you watch one of their games you realize we're nowhere close to that level.

I watched Auburn and LSU and we are nowhere close to thei offensive lines either. Frost has his work cut out for him on the recruiting trail.

And our offensive line recruiting so far under this staff has been underwhelming. Coach Austin has been disappointing so far.

And our offensive line recruiting so far under this staff has been underwhelming. Coach Austin has been disappointing so far.
Probably need to cut bait now. Maybe Callahan will come back as our OLine coach. He was good coaching linemen, and recruiting them as well.

A little premature to say Coach Austin been a disappointment when we still have 3 months before the first signing date in December..

We need a bundance of offensive linemen in this class at least 3 or 4 more and we have one JC player in Bland and Lynn and Anderson who hasn’t been rated yet..

I'm more interested in thinking about how the offensive staff tries to improve the unit. Are there younger guys who will get a shot if this continues? I hate to say it, but after playing under the last regime for 2-3 years I'm afraid some are just tainted and don't understand that what they're doing isn't good enough. Think about it, they've lost 6 in a row. Losing is basically all they know. It is a very precarious situation that this team is in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT