ADVERTISEMENT

why is the NFL so boring?

thall_

Walk On
Sep 25, 2022
used to really enjoy watching a few NFL games on Sundays, and MNF was something I've always looked forward to. past few seasons, I just really can't get into it.

full disclaimer, I don't follow a specific team, I usually latch onto a couple players that I pay more attention to (Josh Allen & Baker Mayfield were two I really liked coming out of college).

even the commentary surrounding it is just boring. While college football is largely dominated by SEC obsession, there are usually a few fun cinderella stories or intriguing dramas surrounding a team's success/failure, while the NFL is dominated by talking about the Cowboys & Brady into exhaustion.

something about watching NFL on Sunday just feels like listening to Imagine Dragons the day after going to Woodstock.

Chiefs put up 44 on the #1 defense yesterday, on the road. I enjoyed that thoroughly.

But yeah, looking at those box scores, several teams were having trouble scoring 10 points, and it's been that way all year. The number of penalties is mind numbing. Every time a good play is made, you hold your breath and make sure there's no laundry on the field.

Chiefs put up 44 on the #1 defense yesterday, on the road. I enjoyed that thoroughly.

But yeah, looking at those box scores, several teams were having trouble scoring 10 points, and it's been that way all year. The number of penalties is mind numbing. Every time a good play is made, you hold your breath and make sure there's no laundry on the field.
My Chiefs and I'd say the Bills are the main exceptions to the otherwise overall boring NFL.

My Chiefs and I'd say the Bills are the main exceptions to the otherwise overall boring NFL.
I hope the Chiefs freed up cap space to get another rusher off the edge. They need it, especially against Allen. Von Miller has been huge for the Bills. We need that too. I'm less worried about the WRs. They are rounding into form.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I hope the Chiefs freed up cap space to get another rusher off the edge. They need it, especially against Allen. Von Miller has been huge for the Bills. We need that too. I'm less worried about the WRs. They are rounding into form.
They really are. And agreed 100% on the need to get another edge rusher!

It is interesting what everyone considers boring.

48-17 is boring to me...lots of scoring, but no drama

13-9 is not boring to me....every play matters and one single mistake can change the game.

For me close games aren't boring, but games that aren't close are.

A lot of teams seem terrible at moving the chains. Good offenses like the Bills and Chiefs are constantly picking up 5 yards on third and 3, or 8 yards on third on 6. By contrast, the crap teams throw low percentage passes in these situations and end up punting or kicking a FG.

Because you are not betting on the games.

Seriously though, while I’m annoyed at some of the ticky-tack penalties - I find the NFL fantastic, with compelling games and story lines every week.

It could be that this is just another by-product of NU football being a disaster for almost a decade now. It takes the fun out of a lot of things.

A lot of teams seem terrible at moving the chains. Good offenses like the Bills and Chiefs are constantly picking up 5 yards on third and 3, or 8 yards on third on 6. By contrast, the crap teams throw low percentage passes in these situations and end up punting or kicking a FG.
It's amazing the tight windows some of these QBs can fit the ball into.

Depends on what/who you are watching. There's no way a person can watch a Chiefs game and come away thinking that was "boring." Mahomes and Kelce (and formerly Tyreek) are damn magicians. Buffalo is the same way.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say it’s boring, there’s just a lot of really bad football being played.

Take for example the two Thursday night prime video games, Indy-Den and Wash-Chi. The offenses were so bad that it was almost unwatchable. You had fans walking out early.

The NFLPA changed some of the practice rules and I think you can see that it’s really set back the O-lines. Some of these offenses with less talent are really struggling.

Reactions: king_kong_
Don't get it. Still a highly entertaining product to me. Penalties are getting a bit more annoying, but all-in-all, the NFL is 100x better than most anything else on the boob tube.

Reactions: king_kong_
I wouldn’t say it’s boring, there’s just a lot of really bad football being played.

Take for example the two Thursday night prime video games, Indy-Den and Wash-Chi. The offenses were so bad that it was almost unwatchable. You had fans walking out early.

The NFLPA changed some of the practice rules and I think you can see that it’s really set back the O-lines. Some of these offenses with less talent are really struggling.
Good points. There are definitely some boring games every week - including some real duds on Thursday night. It also hurts that Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady are struggling. Mahomes and Josh Allen can’t play in every game.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
used to really enjoy watching a few NFL games on Sundays, and MNF was something I've always looked forward to. past few seasons, I just really can't get into it.

full disclaimer, I don't follow a specific team, I usually latch onto a couple players that I pay more attention to (Josh Allen & Baker Mayfield were two I really liked coming out of college).

even the commentary surrounding it is just boring. While college football is largely dominated by SEC obsession, there are usually a few fun cinderella stories or intriguing dramas surrounding a team's success/failure, while the NFL is dominated by talking about the Cowboys & Brady into exhaustion.

something about watching NFL on Sunday just feels like listening to Imagine Dragons the day after going to Woodstock.
I'm a Giant and Jet fan, and for me this is the most excited I've been about the NFL in years. It makes a big difference if you have a team to follow.

There are 32 NFL teams and only a handful of QB's good enough to make some noise every Sunday. Without great QB play it can be a defensive gameplan and run the ball, shorten up the game..... IE-BORING!!!!!!!

It looks like great QB play is at an all time low to me...then you have teams like Green Bay that have one, and can't surround him with WR's to save their life so one is wasted right there

Brady finally looking his age.

All these dual threat QB's that can make a play or three that leave you gasping, promptly follow it up with 7 straight incompletions, I'm lookin at you Kyler and Lamar and (insert a lot of other names here)

So I think a lot of teams THINK they have their QB, but in reality they have a .500 QB they are paying top top money to, Lookin at you Cousins and Dak, etc.

Some teams you're going to flat out avoid watching at any cost. Denver, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Indy, JVille, Green Bay and Houston.

Kansas City, Buffalo, Seattle, NY Giants and Eagles will most likely play well every week.

Dallas, LA Rams, Tampa Bay, Minnesota, Cincinnati and LA chargers are a crap shoot. You don't know what you're going to get week to week.

Teams give grand theft money to marginal QBs and then wonder how are we going to pay the rest of the team. You pay kyler Murray 230 mill and he can’t read a defense. His only offense is run around til someone gets open. Works a lot, but is tough to do against playoff teams.
QFT. In their game against New Orleans, the announcer was dogging him for not recognizing that the linebacker was going to blitz (which he did and got the sack) He said Murray should have recognized that as a pro that has started in this league for a number of years and should have audibled out of it. He was oblivious.

Richard Sherman took him to task for being more aware of the latest video games coming on the market and fashion trends. Funny stuff.

They are having a hard time calling him lazy when it comes to the film room, but that's the implication from everyone in the know. They keep bringing it up which points out the obvious, rather than just leave it alone.

There's a YouTuber called Alex Rollins who breaks down some good film. He said Murray and Russell can't see the middle of the field because they're too short. When you see the heat map for these two, it's true. Defenses know it and cover accordingly. Of course Murray can scramble some to pick up yards as you pointed out, but that won't get the job done.

As a Broncos fan (save the jokes, jerkoffs), as much disdain as I have for the Chiefs, it's incredible how effortless Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes make it look on Sundays...I thought for sure they would take a dip after losing Tyreke Hill but they are just two steps ahead of the competition most weeks....the Bills, Chiefs and Bengals will duke it out for AFC superiority for the next decade

I hear you! When I tune in to an NFL game now, it's almost always a commercial. The schtick around the game resembles professional wrestling, and the drama from the commentators is just endless (is Brady concerned about how his wife is doing?). The game time is roughly 1/2 action, 1/2 commercials. It's been ruined by lucrative television contracts and professional betting (that was inevitable). The NFL is more suited to a WWF or NASCAR audience than a traditional football fan,

I like defensive battles when the offense isnt just inept…you knownit when you see it. the broncos offense is putrid.

I hate how every offense is the same, even if they dont have a QB.
I respect tennessee for running the damn ball downhill instead of trying shotgun inside zone every single run play that probably wont work then pass pass pass. yeah they arent winning a super bowl but they’ll score enough points to win games and make the playoffs until they get talent upgrades. San fran too, especially a few years ago. Fun to watch.
Im sick of seeing only five guys protect the qb standing back 45 times. I get tired of missed holding pentalities and bogus roughing the passer penalties. If a team wants to have 45 attempts per game while using 5 to protect, its their fault if their qb gets clobbered.
If they stop babying the offense maybe more teams would get unique on offense instead of pretending they all have excellent qbs when they dont. Their offenses might adjust accordingly.

But todays nfl fans just want 7 on 7 with scores every single drive. That mentality can actually make offenses worse.

Overall bad QB play these days. In the past several years:

Brady - Looks washed up
Rodgers- Looks washed up
Russell Wilson- Looks washed up
Peyton Manning - retired
Eli Manning - retired
Drew Brees - retired
Philip Rivers - retired
Big Ben - retired

All likely hall of famers or borderline HOFers. I'm probably missing a couple just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

Still have Mahomes, Allen and Burrow to name a few but there's been a mass exodus of talent at QB lately

Last edited:
Overall bad QB these days. In the past several years:

Brady - Looks washed up
Rodgers- Looks washed up
Russell Wilson- Looks washed up
Peyton Manning - retired
Eli Manning - retired
Drew Brees - retired
Philip Rivers - retired
Big Ben - retired

All likely hall of famers or borderline HOFers. I'm probably missing a couple just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

Still have Mahomes, Allen and Burrow to name a few but there's been a mass exodus of talent at QB lately
NFC especially struggling to keep up in the elite QB category

Reactions: BigRedTed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT