ADVERTISEMENT

Why is nobody talking about the 2 missed field goals?

RSS had a meltdown on the subject. Guys calling for Brown`s scholarship to be revoked etc.

LMAO. Shouldn't don't pull scholarships, and especially from a legacy like Brown.
I disagree. Right now he's a 50 percent kicker. If he doesn't improve dramatically he needs to be cut loose after the season. His name means nothing to me.

There were threads about it that I deleted and banned posters for acting like children. I guess calling players names is part for the course for people on the board.

Because if we stop a Hail Mary pass we win.
That's what loss the game not field goals.

There were threads about it that I deleted and banned posters for acting like children. I guess calling players names is part for the course for people on the board.

Name calling is the bastion for those that can`t express themselves with lucid arguments.

Reactions: Doniphan89
We win the game if one of two things happen: get a first down and bleed the clock or stop the Hail Mary. Had Brown knocked in that last FG and the HM happened, we still lose. Had he hit both FGs (both of a makeable distance), we win.
His performance is concerning. But let's not hang the kid after one game.

Well if he hits the last FG, we then have a kick off, which leads to more time ran off the clock and longer field to drive and hail marry never have reached tue end zone, more then likely had to be a catch and run into the endzone. With all that considered, yes with a made field goal there at the end, we probably win.

Got to say I wouldn't mind if his older brother stopped by practice and worked with him a little bit.

IMO his problem is between his ears as with most kickers. Ripping on him isn't going to help.

Reactions: Doniphan89
Ok, I hadn't seen anything mentioned from anyone. No, I don't believe calling names does anything constructive at all either. Its Definitely an issue though and it most certainly needs to be addressed and fixed if possible.

LMAO. Shouldn't don't pull scholarships, and especially from a legacy like Brown.
I hope this is sarcasm. You do know this is not Josh Brown right? This Brown is HORRIBLE. 67% make average for a field goal kicker, most of which are under 40 yard is not good. Not saying we wouldn't have still lost if he did make them but man. He is an issue that needs fixed asap. Im guessing if he wasn't a Brown he wouldn't be playing here... Or probably anywhere else D1 level

Well if he hits the last FG, we then have a kick off, which leads to more time ran off the clock and longer field to drive and hail marry never have reached tue end zone, more then likely had to be a catch and run into the endzone. With all that considered, yes with a made field goal there at the end, we probably win.
That's assuming we kick it in the field of play forcing a return.

There was plenty of things that could have resulted in there not being 1 second left on the clock. Play calling, returning punts instead of fair catches, letting play clock getting closer to zero etc. However 0 for 2 on manageable field goals at a div 1 school does raise eyebrows.

How did the coaches not tell Tommy to milk the clock down to 3 seconds on each snap.?
At our house we kept saying "too much time too much time". Again proves that football is a game of inches.

Brew Brown is a dumpster fire. The kid has one job. Make field goals. I mean, do we seriously not have someone who can kick a field goal on our team?

Reactions: nothingkevin
Thats a pretty big deal.
I blame Riley for even attempting a 2nd field goal attempt. should have gone for it on 4th down. every single person in that stadium and watching on the TV knew brown was gonna miss that 2nd FG attempt before he even kicked it.

Last edited:
I was kinda feeling great at that point that coach didn't even hesitate. I thought, Alright He IS Truly a nice guy...
I will totally worry about it every time he steps on the field from now on. I thought surely he got Way better in the off seasonEek
YIKES! no he didn't:(

I blame Riley for even attempting a 2nd field goal attempt. should have gone for it on 4th down. every single person in that stadium and watching on the TV knew brown was gonna miss that 2nd FG attempt before he even kicked it.
I love this sentiment... Of course he should have gone for it! We all knew Brown would miss! :rolleyes:

Actually, we didn't know he would miss. And if he made it, it forces BYU to go the length of the field for a td, not a portion of it for a field goal if we go for it on fourth and don't make it.

Like someone else said, hindsight is 20/20. Normally the safer play is take the points. Nick saban has had place kicker woes a lot the last several years, and yet still trots out the kicker. At times it has cost him dearly. Same thing happened to us yesterday. But if he hits the field goal, almost every one of us would have felt like it was the right call.

I love this sentiment... Of course he should have gone for it! We all knew Brown would miss! :rolleyes:

Actually, we didn't know he would miss. And if he made it, it forces BYU to go the length of the field for a td, not a portion of it for a field goal if we go for it on fourth and don't make it.

Like someone else said, hindsight is 20/20. Normally the safer play is take the points. Nick saban has had place kicker woes a lot the last several years, and yet still trots out the kicker. At times it has cost him dearly. Same thing happened to us yesterday. But if he hits the field goal, almost every one of us would have felt like it was the right call.
You`re the first fellow husker fan i`ve interacted with that thought brown was gonna mAke the kick and was correct decision to even try for the FG. Interesting perspective

You`re the first fellow husker fan i`ve interacted with that thought brown was gonna mAke the kick and was correct decision to even try for the FG. Interesting perspective
I didn't realize I said I thought he would make it. In fact, rereading my post, I don't see anywhere where I said I thought he would make it. I was just pointing out that coaches play for points in that situation more often than not. Unless you're Chip Kelly, and there is so little time left in the game, and you are in field goal range (Brown did kick some over 40 last year), you take the points so that they have to get a td to beat you. If you miss the field goal, play defense. With your football knowledge, I assumed you would have understood that.

Truth be told I didn't get a chance to see the second half, so I don't even know how bad the kick was. All I'm saying is coaches will go for the points if they're there. 40 yards is something brown kicked last year. He can do it. I am sure he has done it in practice as well...

But yeah, you're knowledge of Brown's skill is far greater than the coaches who do see him far more than you. If they trotted him out there they had to have had some confidence that he could make it.

I hope this is sarcasm. You do know this is not Josh Brown right? This Brown is HORRIBLE. 67% make average for a field goal kicker, most of which are under 40 yard is not good. Not saying we wouldn't have still lost if he did make them but man. He is an issue that needs fixed asap. Im guessing if he wasn't a Brown he wouldn't be playing here... Or probably anywhere else D1 level

Not being sarcastic. I've consistently maintained that it is unethical to pull scholarships for reasons of performance. Assuming the player is holding up his obligations as an amateur student athlete he should be given the opportunity to get the education he was promised.

I disagree. Right now he's a 50 percent kicker. If he doesn't improve dramatically he needs to be cut loose after the season. His name means nothing to me.
Well ok and if ST play isn't better cut lose the coach because his name means even less to everybody.

I think we need a math class here. If he makes both kicks then BYU would have kicked an extra point and tied the game. It at least would have gone to overtime. We might have won or lost. With both kicks there is no guarantee we would have won. The major reason we lost is the inability to get short-yardage first downs.

It was a team loss.

The offense was too erratic. Minimal rushing game where we couldn't be counted to convert third and shorts. Defense was poor through the air and especially that last drive. The PR team seemed thrown off by the rugby-style kicks too much. No pash rush. Bad run blocking.

IMO his problem is between his ears as with most kickers.
I agree with this.. a good kicker has to have a really strong mental game. This is not an easy thing to fix. It's one thing to do it in practice when there is no pressure, and a completely different thing when the game is on the line. Whomever is the backup might do better on game day and the staff needs to find this out next week.

Thats a pretty big deal.
We have another kicker on the roster, who was a JUCO all American. Has he not looked good? Was Brown really that much better than him?
I'm asking because I really don't know.
At this point, I think they need to take a closer look at the other guy.

We have another kicker on the roster, who was a JUCO all American. Has he not looked good? Was Brown really that much better than him?
I'm asking because I really don't know.
At this point, I think they need to take a closer look at the other guy.

At this point it appears the answer to at least one of those questions is fairly obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT