ADVERTISEMENT

Why even recruit...

ru4nu2win

All-American
May 2, 2006
High school kids, settle on about 12 a year and cherry pick the transfer portal. Hire a business minded, fundraising group to start a transfer foundation. We were trend setters with Husker Power in the weight room, way ahead of the curve, now let’s master the portal with the best transfer deals in college football. Build Championships with transfers who are already proven instead of developing talent over the course of years. The NCAA is practically making this the NFL minor league so let’s use it to our advantage!!

I think it is becoming a numbers game. You want to maximize the number of recruits you try out to see if they fit. If not they leave. You do the same for both recruiting and the portal. The more kids you try out, the more chance you have to find some gems that will stick.

Pretty sure that's what we did last year.

Half the starters were probably xfers.

Reactions: king_kong_
High school kids, settle on about 12 a year and cherry pick the transfer portal. Hire a business minded, fundraising group to start a transfer foundation. We were trend setters with Husker Power in the weight room, way ahead of the curve, now let’s master the portal with the best transfer deals in college football. Build Championships with transfers who are already proven instead of developing talent over the course of years. The NCAA is practically making this the NFL minor league so let’s use it to our advantage!!

Yep, unless you can get a high school recruit that is physically ready to play as a true freshman, it doesn't make much sense to recruit high school kids anymore. Why take a chance on a kid that may need years to develop and will probably transfer anyway, when you can just go get a transfer that is ready to play right away?

And even the ones who do play as freshmen, might still go in the portal to get a better NIL Deal (like Hausmann).

Reactions: oldjar07
Interesting thread. With the high cost of recruiting players from a wide area, since we're a low population state, and the risk they won't stay long you'd think recruiting high school will change drastically before long.

Absolutely, there's really no reason to reach on high school kids anymore. Be picky and take the best available, and then fill out the rest of the roster with portal players who are more physically mature and able to contribute.

Really damaging to kids out of high school. But that is what the portal has done. Make HS kids able to get into the portal too. Otherwise, no reason to take a chance on a HS kid, and eventually that aspect will dry up, and damage the in the end.

I know one thing, the charity scholarships handed out by Nebraska needs to stop. These 3 year, no talent, no desire, getting a free ride to do nothing roster jockeys has to end with Rhule.

And PLEASE limit the walk-ons to 20 - 25.

Most high schoolers will have to walk on to prove their worth. Once they do they will go to the highest bidder. Recruit fully developed players and I hate to say it, but poach other team's players. Its a dog eat dog world out there now...

Reactions: RedMyMind
Somebody is gonna have to recruit those HS kids in order to have future players who are able to transfer. 😉
Yeah but if you mainly fill out your roster with xfers then you let the other programs burden themselves with the expense of stress on the coach in recruiting the kids AND the parents and you also burden them with the expense of most of the education credits and training table if they were full ride.

One thing I disagree with the OP about is this is not the NCAA plan. This is a plan between networks, schools, and the money in CFB. This is like a few companies getting together and cornering a specific segment of the market, squeezing most of the competition out.

Interesting thread. With the high cost of recruiting players from a wide area, since we're a low population state, and the risk they won't stay long you'd think recruiting high school will change drastically before long.

This.

Recruiting and developing high schoolers is an investment. If after time, money, and effort they can decide to leave with no consequences—and another team benefits from your investment— then who is going to focus on them?

I think to counter this, with NIL you will see the rise of contracts in which they have to agree to stay. I have heard that is already happening.

This.

Recruiting and developing high schoolers is an investment. If after time, money, and effort they can decide to leave with no consequences—and another team benefits from your investment— then who is going to focus on them?

I think to counter this, with NIL you will see the rise of contracts in which they have to agree to stay. I have heard that is already happening.
only 40% of players that enter the portal on average find new homes.
so they should just say if you enter the portal, the school your leaving no longer has to honor your scolarship.
that would cut down on 60% of the nonsence of the portal.
then it would be more fair to both sides
and would help players understand what commitment and responsibility means.
just like in the real world, if you tell your employer your quiting, then leave and other companies don't hire you.
it up to the employer you left to decide if they want you back or not..if your worth the energy they invested in you.

Last edited:
Reactions: cavalot
I’ll just say this - tampering has already gotten filthy. I have no deep insider intel, just reading the recent tampering tea leaves of Braelen Allen and Ernest Hausmann. At some point, NIL will get so convoluted that somebody will take someone else to court, which will eventually find its way down the line to Washington DC. Players signing contracts with companies is a good step forward in creating some kind of legislation. At some point, this mayhem will all correct itself because there is WAY too much money and people invested in College Football for it to get run into the ground.

It isn’t by accident that Rhule is inking so many young coaches. Most of them have (1) coached in the NFL, (2) can teach players how to handle making 5/6/7 figures. The NIL/Transfer Portal era isn’t going to only affect player-recruiting, but how head coaches recruit coaches. We’ve already seen a lot of old dogs bow out of this new era. I actually think Rhule is already a few steps ahead of many programs in making sure our players have the best guidance and mentors to help usher them into the next era of college football.

It’s a system that favors poachers and discourages developers.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
I've seen headlines claiming NU is on top of this NIL game compared to many schools. I hope so.

If true, maybe NIL is a new edge for us, much like we lead in Strength & Conditioning and nutrition starting in the BobFather era.

As Picard would say, "Make it so."

Reactions: Clevinger
I've seen headlines claiming NU is on top of this NIL game compared to many schools. I hope so.

If true, maybe NIL is a new edge for us, much like we lead in Strength & Conditioning and nutrition starting in the BobFather era.

As Picard would say, "Make it so."

To the degree our whole fan base loves college sports, it could help everything (football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, etc).

Sh*t, I bet even the rifle team will have endorsements with hunting companies before long.

so they should just say if you enter the portal, the school your leaving no longer has to honor your scolarship.
just like in the real world, if you tell your employer your quiting, then leave and other companies don't hire you.
it up to the employer you left to decide if they want you back or not..if your worth the energy they invested in you.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought under current rules once you enter the portal and then talk to any other school, your original school is NOT obligated to take you back.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought under current rules once you enter the portal and then talk to any other school, your original school is NOT obligated to take you back.

That is how it works.

Patiently waiting for all the tax problems headed a lot of these athletes way because they did not declare their NIL correctly or the IRS disagrees with how they deducted something. The stories are going to be fantastic, and sad.

You continue to recruit high schoolers IF you have a strategy to develop players. You utilize the portal transfers to fill in gaps you might have on your roster. The most effective path is always going to be a combination of both.

Deion's world might be an exception since he's such a magnet to get talented kids. He might be able to primarily rely on proven players from the portal. Although he can easily get a number of highly rated high schoolers if he wants them.

That is how it works.

Patiently waiting for all the tax problems headed a lot of these athletes way because they did not declare their NIL correctly or the IRS disagrees with how they deducted something. The stories are going to be fantastic, and sad.
Aren't schools obligated to provide the players with financial advisors for their NIL deals? Granted the kids may not listen to them or the advisors could be know nothings but I thought that is supposed to be the case.

You continue to recruit high schoolers IF you have a strategy to develop players. You utilize the portal transfers to fill in gaps you might have on your roster. The most effective path is always going to be a combination of both.

Deion's world might be an exception since he's such a magnet to get talented kids. He might be able to primarily rely on proven players from the portal. Although he can easily get a number of highly rated high schoolers if he wants them.

The rush to play for him will die down when the kids realize they aren't all going to get 6 figures, or even close. Plus if he stumbles out of the gate by struggling to win and looks bad doing it....we'll see how it plays out soon enough. Can't wait.

The rush to play for him will die down when the kids realize they aren't all going to get 6 figures, or even close. Plus if he stumbles out of the gate by struggling to win and looks bad doing it....we'll see how it plays out soon enough. Can't wait.
I think it's going to depend on whether he can make the jump to P5 level coaching. Verdict is open on that aspect and I don't know the answer to that. But I'm convinced he has a major recruiting advantage with the young player talent and that part won't disappear. He's flashy which gets their attention.

That is how it works.

I suspect most NIL donors will handle them as independent contractors which puts all the burden of self employment tax payments and reporting on the athlete. It could get ugly if guys don’t listen to the advise they get. I could see a scenario where a star WR blows through 100k and can’t pay the 15.3% self employment tax, state income tax and federal tax they would owe. That free money could end up causing some huge problems for guys unable to make responsible decisions.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Isn't that how it already works? Enter portal = loss of scholarship?

Reactions: dand84
90% of the players in the portal are in need of development. Most of the 'ready to start' guys have a year or two of eligibility left and are likely to declare for the draft if their first year is good. They also all have a couple dozen offers. I'm sure that you could pull a good number of previous 4 and 5 star bench sitters, but are they actually going to contribute?

Recruiting high schoolers still needs to be the lifeblood of your program

oh, well thats fair then..so it's a gamble for both parties..somebody told me different before...thanks for the info...

now my next question, iowa/mich and hausmen? did either of them schools break rules?
I seen some suggest that they were tampering unjustly..is that a law?
or is it kinda a dog eat dog deal?
is it ok like if we hire a good looking blonde gals to go to georgia and bama and offer their top players better nil deals?

University of Buffalo had over 14 starters from the transfer portal this year (I think that was the number) and it took them about 3 games to gel together. They started 0-3 and went on a 7 game win streak before losing to Ohio. With the lack of practice time it makes it tough to come together.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I suspect most NIL donors will handle them as independent contractors which puts all the burden of self employment tax payments and reporting on the athlete. It could get ugly if guys don’t listen to the advise they get. I could see a scenario where a star WR blows through 100k and can’t pay the 15.3% self employment tax, state income tax and federal tax they would owe. That free money could end up causing some huge problems for guys unable to make responsible decisions.
And college kids never make irresponsible decisions. 😳

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT