ADVERTISEMENT

Why even recruit...

If your strategy/focus is to develop players, you recruit kids with potential and help them become great players. And you still have to also recruit players from the portal so not that much difference in terms of recruiting effort required.

There are 131 D1 schools. Assume 85 players per school. That is over 11,000 players not including non-scholarship players. Assuming more than 3000 hit the portal (the number last year), 2/3 of players are still on that team. Those 2/3 are still important, still need to be coached and developed. While the top 40-50 super stars in the portal are going to push a team to the next level and be fought over, the core of the team is still going to be there. The stats I've seen say about 30% of P5 transfers go to another P5. Most move down or are still sitting in the portal.

So, you still need to recruit and develop players. If you have a strong culture, if players trust their coaches, and if they are offered enough incentive, many will stay. But like any other job, you are going to lose some to the portal. You need to be able to leverage the next man up.

Build a culture....I didn't say there was a current culture here. At least not one we want.
That's a lot harder to do in this environment than it was in the past. It's pretty much the one and done era in college basketball, but with several times the roster size.

When you enter the portal, you lose your scholarship. There is no fall back. You have to be re-recruited back out.
I heard on the radio nothing happens for 48 hours after the player declares in the portal. At that point the school MAY inform the player they are pulling the scholarship.

That's from Jim Trabor here in Oklahoma. He's an idiot but gave a lot of specifics so I'm assuming it's close to the truth

Reactions: dand84
I heard on the radio nothing happens for 48 hours after the player declares in the portal. At that point the school MAY inform the player they are pulling the scholarship.

That's from Jim Trabor here in Oklahoma. He's an idiot but gave a lot of specifics so I'm assuming it's close to the truth
That could very well be. Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT