ADVERTISEMENT

Why even have instant replay?!?

HuskerTimOmaha

Nebraska Legend
Apr 21, 2006
Omaha
First Wisconsin gets screwed on the Kentucky non flagrant and now tonight, the refs said they didn't see enough to overrule the out of bounds call?

Wow.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by All N:
I agree, if you're not going to make the tough calls it's pointless.
It wasn't a tough call...the ball clearly bent the Duke player's finger backward. It was clear and the refs blew it. Fitting end to a horrendously officiated NCAA tournament.

That said...I hate Duke even more now and I didn't think that was possible.

The replay showed it was last touched by Duke. It wasn't in question watching the replay. Lame, and it affected the outcome.

Agreed... It was a fingernail, but it was clear. Wasn't really paying attention, but do they need a bigger screen to view that? Is it possible that they simply couldn't see it due to the size of the screen?

Just throwing it out there cuz when it was slowed down enough, it was pretty clear to see...

Going back to Nebraska getting knocked out against Baylor last year I haven't been able to watch much basketball. Officiating is consistently arbitrary. Wisconsin got the shaft of several moments during the last few minutes there.

Missed foot on the line, results in a basket. Missed Winslow last touch on the ball, results in a 3. If these are the best refs possible, college hoops is in serious trouble. Maybe for the tournament, replay should be like MLB where those on the court (field) don't have a say in the replay.

Been bitching all year about poor officiating and it was poor tonight when the game was on the line.

Originally posted by OwlsRule:
SUCK IT WISCONSIN!!!! You will likely never sniff a Final Four again.
Are you a prophet.
confused0018.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
First Wisconsin gets screwed on the Kentucky non flagrant and now tonight, the refs said they didn't see enough to overrule the out of bounds call?

Wow.
Yep, complete joke. That was at the least a three point and at the most a six point turn around right there. Difference in the game. Duke is the anointed one.

These refs clearly had an agenda in the 2nd half - they only saw what they wanted to see whether it was live or on a replay.

Duke can thank Wisconsin for taking down Kentucky. I doubt Duke beats Kentucky. Also, Grayson Allen's play down the stretch won that game for Duke, no question. True, Okafor and Jones added points at the end, but Allen kept them in the game. What a player. What a game. Bummer for WISC, Duke wins.

Duke in the double bonus since around the 7 minute mark with no inside game while Wisconsin isn't in the bonus at all in the 2H? Another interesting aspect...

You didn't see that coming when coach Kay finally bothered to give a halftime interview enough to whine about the refs? What a disgrace. Winslow had at least 11 fouls, and 2 clear blown calls that gave Dook 2 bullshit posessions.

Follow the late big money on Dook, and look where they bet the 2nd half line. The college game may be dirtier than the NBA

Bo, Cal and Izzo are among the game's best non-stop-for-40-minutes screamers. But when it comes to working the officials, they are all pikers compared to Coach K. He practically invented it - and God how I wish he hadn't.

My only thought is that the refs may not have been able to see it in clear enough detail on the little court side monitor they use as opposed to the high def big screens all were watching on at home. Clearly a missed call

Bb is a game built for gambling, so much room for issues always has been always will be for a common player.

jlb, I understand what a couple of you mean, I also had the bar TV on and when I went to get some water, it was clear as day on a small(er) TV. There's absolutely no reason not to get that call right, just like Saturday night with the non-flagrant.

Wisconsin was called for 3 fouls in the first 23 minutes of the game, despite duke driving to the bucket (wisconsin shot nearly twice as many 3s as duke). Badgers had a 9 point lead with Winslow and oaksafor sitting on the bench with fouls. Agree that officiating is horrible, but it went both ways. Ryan is classless----sounded like Pelini after the game.

So you're saying Wisconsin fouled a bunch in the first 23 minutes that weren't called? Or Duke flopped better in the last 17 minutes while UW wasn't as aggressive?

Duke was in the double bonus around the 7 minute mark, maybe longer (?), left in the game. Wisconsin never got in the bonus in the 2H.

Okafor picked up his fourth with 9:18-ish left in the game. Duke didn't commit another foul the rest of the way till then end on the "gimme foul", their last free one before the bonus. 5 fouls in 11 2H minutes and none the rest of the way, come on man, you can't be serious.

- Missed Winslow charge (twice?)
- Missed Winslow out of bounds
- Missed Winslow last touching the ball, even after replay?

That's 7 points right there, 5 in the last few minutes of the game.

Again, I agree the refs were terrible, but it went both ways if you look at 40 mins. Duke drove to the basket, wisconsin settled for 3s. Live by the 3, die by the 3--and decker was off tonight. You don't pick up fouls shooting 3s.
I couldn't care less who won the game tonight, JMO.

Wisconsin attempted 61 FG's (2-pointers) to Dukes 52. UW attempted 21 3's compared to 11 for Duke. 9 additional 2-point attempts and the FT difference was what it was? Not even the semi-final was that bad.

Badgers 3-headed bigs attempted 41 2-point shots, and went to the line 8 total times.

Wisconsin attempted 61 FG's (2-pointers) to Dukes 52. UW attempted 21 3's compared to 11 for Duke. 9 additional 2-point attempts and the FT difference was what it was? Not even the semi-final was that bad.

Badgers 3-headed bigs attempted 41 2-point shots, and went to the line 8 total times.
duke-champs-3.jpg

Originally posted by pdors24:

duke-champs-3.jpg
This why you should care. Duke is a private school full of elitist f*cks. Wisconsin is a public school full of students just like you and me. You do the math.

I'd feel worse for Wisconsin if they hadn't been the beneficiary of that shot clock no-call against Kentucky. Totally changed the momentum of that game just like the calls for Duke changed this one.

Replay needs to be changed. It should always be usable for goaltending and shot clock. It literally takes/puts points on the board. If they can stop the game to see if someone pushed someone too hard, then they can stop to see if the basket should actually count or not. And don't get me started on the Winslow finger. No way I keep my entire paycheck for the week if I'm Bo Ryan after that.

Either way, it was hard rooting for all of these teams. Everyone hates Duke, Kentucky is Kentucky, and Bo Ryan coaches Wisconsin. How I wish Gonzaga would have gotten past Duke...

Originally posted by bigboxes:

Originally posted by pdors24:

duke-champs-3.jpg
This why you should care. Duke is a private school full of elitist f*cks. Wisconsin is a public school full of students just like you and me. You do the math.
after wisconsin got out ahead a little bit you knew which way the calls were gonna go...

Duke seems like a great school that is chocked full of talented people who are the best at what they do and want to get even better, and choose a tough school over an easier one because they are confident in their abilities. If my son or daughter were talented enough to garner attention from Duke, it would take surgery to remove the smile from my face, and I bet it would be the exact same for you. Duke wins the right way, with squeaky clean people who could have gone anywhere they wanted. I can see why you would dislike them so much.

The officiating was very poor, which definitely had an impact on the game, but the greatest impact was Tyus Jones and Grayson Allen knocking down several clutch shots in the 2nd half. Very impressive performance by those freshmen when it mattered the most. That was the real determining factor of the game. Once again, the officiating was not good, but Duke's performance, both offensively and defensively, in the last 10 minutes was the difference.

It was a close game and Duke got extra points off of free throws that shouldn't have happened. IMO, Wisconsin got hosed. I didn't do a bracket. Once NU is done I'm not a big college basketball fan just because of the crap I saw on TV. The NCAA wanted Coach K to win and he did. Horrible officiating in the second half and it was obvious that the officials got the word at half time.

I couldn't have cared less in regards to who won last night. I will say this- that was one of the worst officiated NCAA BB tournaments I have ever seen. The last two minutes of that tournament being almost laughable. I can't stand Wisconsin, but if I WAS a Wisconsin fan, I would be pretty pissed today. (To clarify, I respect Coach K, but I can't stand Duke, either.)

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
It was a close game and Duke got extra points off of free throws that shouldn't have happened. IMO, Wisconsin got hosed. I didn't do a bracket. Once NU is done I'm not a big college basketball fan just because of the crap I saw on TV. The NCAA wanted Coach K to win and he did. Horrible officiating in the second half and it was obvious that the officials got the word at half time.
roll.r191677.gif

Am I the only one who saw a few questionable calls against Duke in the first half that put one of their stars in early foul trouble? Gheesh, people act like the bad calls only happened in the last few minutes and the rest of the game was perfect, it wasn't.

I liken it to when we lost to Texas in the Big 12 title game in '09. We didn't lose because they put one second on the clock, we lost, because for 60 minutes we were so inept on offense we couldn't score a single touchdown. Even when we started on like their 12 yard line late in the 4th after a huge return. I knew when he didn't get in the end zone we weren't gonna score a TD. We were so freaking bad on offense, we let Texas back in the game. If we have to rely on the refs to win, then we don't deserve to win.

lite....one call? I would be able to chalk that up to a mistake made by an official. Three horrendous calls when the game is on the line.....and couple that with the atrocious officiating in college bb this year? It's time for the NCAA to take a serious look at their officiating. It is terrible.

Yeah it's bad, no doubt. But a few questionable calls against Duke early changed how they had to play for the rest of the game. I'm just saying its bad on both sides, and when it mattered late one team hit some big shots and the other didn't.

...and Dana, wait till you see some of the calls in our league this year. They will make last night's game look like a collection of all star refs. You gotta put the other guy on the canvas, don't leave it to the refs. They will let you down every time.

For instance. A Duke player drives down in to the paint. He then jumps up and BACK in to the Wisconsin defender and puts his shoulder directly in to the Wisconsin defender's chin. SHOULD have been an offensive foul. He may not have inteneded to put his shoulder in to the chin of the defender but intent in this case doesn't matter. That was an offensive foul. Foul called on Wisconsin resulting in extra Duke points. There were at least THREE calls that I saw like that against Wisconsin at crunch time. When it appeared that Duke was going to lose all the sudden the calls went their way. Virtually ALL the calls went their way down the stretch and BTW EVERY foul I saw called against Duke's big men were legitimate fouls. Horsecrap officiating.

refs missed the Koenig jump back in bounds without establishing position and he scored in the UK game.
refs missed a foot on the line by Gasser in an earlier tourney game, sorry, can't remember opponent.
How many flops by Frank were great acting jobs?

Sadly, basketball is left to the subjective whims of the referees.

But Bo Whinin is a disservice to his team, especially someone like Frank who clearly outplayed players from Kentucky and Duke who will be drafted ahead of him. Trevon Jackson and Sam Dekker were the millstones last night.

This post was edited on 4/7 12:50 PM by jackdwelsh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT