ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn’t Nebraska play the Gators?

BigNUFan51

Walk On
Nov 29, 2015
If I was Bill Moos that’s a home and home I would try to secure.

Either way you would think Nebraska would want more trips to Florida. Osborne used to play in the Orange Bowl every year and recruit Florida kids to Lincoln based on that exposure. Scott Frost also has connections in the state from his time at UCF.

The Gators rarely leave the southeast. Normally only Fayetteville and now Columbia, Mo. Older article but still mostly true.

GAINESVILLE - The Southeastern Conference has given West Coast residents a peek at some of its teams over the past few years.

Arkansas played at Southern California in 2005. Tennessee played at Cal in 2007 and at UCLA in 2008. Georgia went to Arizona State last season. LSU played at Washington to open this season.

Florida’s trips west have been a lot shorter. The farthest west the Gators have traveled for a regular-season game since playing at USC in 1983 has been to Fayetteville (812.1 miles) to play SEC foe Arkansas. In fact, the Gators haven’t done any regular-season traveling outside the region since playing at Syracuse in 1991.

Unlike several other schools in the SEC, Florida doesn’t want to schedule any games against schools from BCS conferences that want a return trip - regardless of whether it’s a trip west or to a neighboring state.

“We’ll never say never, but it would have to be a unique situation for us to vary from our model that we have in place,” said Greg McGarity, UF’s senior associate athletic director for internal affairs.

Last edited:
Once we prove we can hang I'm down - definitely helps vs any Florida team to get a dub.

I don't think any team from Florida is terrified of the Huskers. Matter of fact, any team has a 62.5% chance of beating the Huskers right now. According to SF's record.

Reactions: TheNewNU
If I was Bill Moos that’s a home and home I would try to secure.

Either way you would think Nebraska would want more trips to Florida. Osborne used to play in the Orange Bowl every year and recruit Florida kids to Lincoln based on that exposure. Scott Frost also has connections in the state from his time at UCF.
Basically it all comes down to money. Nebraska wants as many as possible of the non-conference games as home games to bring in the dollars. And Lincoln city merchants fully concur. Big name teams have the same motive and would insist on a return visit.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I know over 5 and 6 years is along ways away but Nebraska is playing a SEC team Tennessee..

We were suppose to have played them in 2016 and 2017 and asked us if we could move in another decade..

Reactions: huskerfan66
Out of all teams to pick, you picked FLORIDA. They haven't traveled to play a team out of conference outside to the state of Florids since Spurrier got his ass handed to him in the Carrier Dome by Syracuse in 1991!

They are scared and always have been to travel and they didn't get called out for it by ESPN or any writers over the last 30 years. There is no other team in all of Power 5 football who can get away with this and still be reputable. Alabama has done this lately but even they have scheduled a home n home with Wisconsin.

The only time they play teams on the road OOC is to Miami and Florida State Them playing FSU is MANDATED by the State of Florida!

Out of all teams to pick, you picked FLORIDA. They haven't traveled to play a team out of conference outside to the state of Florids since Spurrier got his ass handed to him in the Carrier Dome by Syracuse in 1991!

They are scared and always have been to travel and they didn't get called out for it by ESPN or any writers over the last 30 years. There is no other team in all of Power 5 football who can get away with this and still be reputable. Alabama has done this lately but even they have scheduled a home n home with Wisconsin.

The only time they play teams on the road OOC is to Miami and Florida State Them playing FSU is MANDATED by the State of Florida!
I thought a national championship rematch between blue bloods would be appeasing on the eyes. U of Miami could work but I don’t think the U is a blue blood anymore.

Iowa typically plays Iowa St, Northern Iowa, and a MAC level school to start their season. That gives them a chance to build confidence going in to the conference schedule. It also allows them to give experience to younger players and build depth.

I'd rather not schedule SEC teams for our non-conference at this time.

I'm afraid we'd get another bad loss to Florida. We need cupcakes until we prove we're capable of beating decent teams.

Miami never was a Blue Blood. Lots of success beginning in 1984, and lasting nearly 20 years, but never a Blue Blood.
Plus we had a recent home and home with them.
Miami being good makes college football better. They’re definitely a blue blood. Sure they’re not Bama or Notre Dame.. but they’re still a historically great program. They’ve won five national titles? Tons and tons of iconic players and games.

That would be like like saying yeah the huskers had lots of success starting in 1970, but it ended after 1997.

I think a lot of Husker fans would still consider Miami their most hated team... that has to count for something.

Miami being good makes college football better. They’re definitely a blue blood. Sure they’re not Bama or Notre Dame.. but they’re still a historically great program. They’ve won five national titles? Tons and tons of iconic players and games.

That would be like like saying yeah the huskers had lots of success starting in 1970, but it ended after 1997.

I think a lot of Husker fans would still consider Miami their most hated team... that has to count for something.
Nope the whorns are the most hated teams. Nebraska blown plenty of opportunities to beat them only to have had them slip away..

Very arrogant fan base too a bunch wine and cheese and highfalutin people...

ADVERTISEMENT