ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn’t Nebraska play Notre Dame more?

I just think it would be a good non-conference matchup between blue bloods. Appealing to the eyes.

So would:
Oklahoma- Will be playing
texass
Southern Cal
Tennessee- Will be playing in the future
LSU
Auburn
Washington

Reactions: gw2kpro
They haven’t played since 2001.
Nebraska v. Notre Dame was one of the hottest rivalries in college football in the 1920's and 1930's. Back then, the teams split the gate and both had relatively large stadiums and made out well in that exchange. Only 1 team beat the Four Horseman of Notre Dame. That team was Nebraska. Oh...and that team did it twice.

Unfortunately, the rivalry disbanded when some Nebraska fans roughed up some Notre Dame fans in Lincoln. I don't want to feed the troll with the full details, yet it was one of the saddest events in NU football history. We've become better fans since then. I digress.

What was your point? Don't you have somewhere else to be?

Nebraska used to play Notre Dame every year. Nebraska started beating them too often (including beating the 4 horsemen) so they quit playing us and started playing USC as it was an easier game.

It's a nice game every once in a while but neither team gets a ton of recruiting from the other's state and neither program needs the other's name to draw eyeballs. There are simply much better opportunities elsewhere for both teams to play often.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Nebraska v. Notre Dame was one of the hottest rivalries in college football in the 1920's and 1930's. Back then, the teams split the gate and both had relatively large stadiums and made out well in that exchange. Only 1 team beat the Four Horseman of Notre Dame. That team was Nebraska. Oh...and that team did it twice.

Unfortunately, the rivalry disbanded when some Nebraska fans roughed up some Notre Dame fans in Lincoln. I don't want to feed the troll with the full details, yet it was one of the saddest events in NU football history. We've become better fans since then. I digress.

Actually, I think it was some Klansmen that came up from Missouri, put on Nebraska sweaters and whipped up the trouble (seriously).

According to Husker Century Pioneer Spirt, ND was a Catholic school and Nebraska fans called them fish eaters and some other religious names as far as the roughing up Notre Dame fans that could have been possible along with the make calling..

Other thing was that Knute Rockny wanted to vacation on the west coast so after telling Nebraska we’re no longer interested in play you, Rockny decided to take the team to Los Angeles and play Southern Cal and now have played 89 years in a row..

Reactions: Bremser
We want no part of ND right now or any time in the near future. It's bad enough somebody thought putting OU on the schedule was a good idea.

Any other teams that have been down and back up while we've kept going down to get on there? How about Bama? Maybe we schedule USC and they can be Top 10 while we're about ~65 by the time the game rolls around?

Reactions: nemeth#5
According to Husker Century Pioneer Spirt, ND was a Catholic school and Nebraska fans called them fish eaters and some other religious names as far as the roughing up Notre Dame fans that could have been possible along with the make calling..

Other thing was that Knute Rockny wanted to vacation on the west coast so after telling Nebraska we’re no longer interested in play you, Rockny decided to take the team to Los Angeles and play Southern Cal and now have played 89 years in a row..
I thought it was his wife that said going to SoCal would be better than nebraska. Also aren't a good percentage of Nebraskans catholic?

Notre Dame wasn't crazy about the red wave of Husker fans at the 2000 game. It was like hosting North Dakota State and watching your stadium turn John Deere green.

And losing.

I lost $550 on that game. We were favored by 13.5, up by 7 late, Judd Davies drops an easy pass that hit him in the hands that he would have scored on to go up by 14 and we would have broke their back....instead he drops it, and I lose $550. I think that was the very last time I bet on football.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I thought it was his wife that said going to SoCal would be better than nebraska. Also aren't a good percentage of Nebraskans catholic?

Could have been one way or another...Go do the research back in the day..

Last edited:
Iowa sucks
Stop. They don’t. I know we in Neb don’t want Iowa to do well but they don’t suck. They’ve been better than Neb in recent years. They don’t have the NCs that Neb does but Neb’s last NC was in 97. That was 24 years ago. We (Neb) can’t hang on the the accomplishments of 25-30 years ago forever. Hell...if I’d been 50 when we won that Natty in 97, I’d probably be dead now.

Stop. They don’t. I know we in Neb don’t want Iowa to do well but they don’t suck. They’ve been better than Neb in recent years. They don’t have the NCs that Neb does but Neb’s last NC was in 97. That was 24 years ago. We (Neb) can’t hang on the the accomplishments of 25-30 years ago forever. Hell...if I’d been 50 when we won that Natty in 97, I’d probably be dead now.

You don't speak for me or anyone on this board. Iowa sucks and so does your post.

Notre Dame should be scheduling us more right now if they were looking for a win with a guaranteed chance of about 95%

If we had any sort of Offense we might actually be a good team.

We want no part of ND right now or any time in the near future. It's bad enough somebody thought putting OU on the schedule was a good idea.

Any other teams that have been down and back up while we've kept going down to get on there? How about Bama? Maybe we schedule USC and they can be Top 10 while we're about ~65 by the time the game rolls around?
To be honest, wasn’t the schedule for OU home and home set up 5 yrs or so ago? We were supposed to have been good again by now😁 if we’re using the cyclical thinking here.

Last edited:

You really need to get a clue the Oklahoma series was because of the 50 Anniversary of the 1971 game of the century..

TheBeav, you have heard about that game haven’t you it was arguably the biggest game Neb football has ever played...

Tom Osborne was responsible for getting the OU series and didn’t have ny idea how good Nebraska would be during this time and you would have thought we’d be better than 31-39 the past 6 years..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Notre Dame isn't that scary, especially since Book is gone. If the option existed I'd MUCH rather play them than OU this year.

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
As an ND fan that grew up in Nebraska and had to deal with nothing but trash talk against my Irish.... I would love nothing more than Nebraska to have to play against a real team like ND. I watch Nebraska and ND every week and trust me it would be ugly... even my wife who is a Nebraska alumni admits its like watching a different sport when comparing the teams.

I used to get 50+ text messages after every Irish loss back in the college days (07-11) while Nebraska was winning 9 games a year..... I am not hearing from those folks too often on Saturdays over the last few years.....

And save all the "we turned your stadium red" talk.... yes there was a crapload of Nebraska fans there.... and I dont blame them it was their first chance to see what a real storied campus and stadium looks like outside of the powerhouses in the Big 12 North.... there are dozens of Stadiums named "memorial" but only one "Notre Dame Stadium."

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
As an ND fan that grew up in Nebraska and had to deal with nothing but trash talk against my Irish.... I would love nothing more than Nebraska to have to play against a real team like ND. I watch Nebraska and ND every week and trust me it would be ugly... even my wife who is a Nebraska alumni admits its like watching a different sport when comparing the teams.

I used to get 50+ text messages after every Irish loss back in the college days (07-11) while Nebraska was winning 9 games a year..... I am not hearing from those folks too often on Saturdays over the last few years.....

And save all the "we turned your stadium red" talk.... yes there was a crapload of Nebraska fans there.... and I dont blame them it was their first chance to see what a real storied campus and stadium looks like outside of the powerhouses in the Big 12 North.... there are dozens of Stadiums named "memorial" but only one "Notre Dame Stadium."

Cg_lMTHXEAAhVD2

Reactions: bigboxes

I heard about this. The rumor was Notre Dame refused to schedule Nebraska for decades, not because of turning their stadium red at all, but because of how badly Notre Dame fans were treated in Lincoln.

Reactions: scarletred

Ironic that your screen name includes the word "meth."

Reactions: nu2u and nemeth#5
ADVERTISEMENT