ADVERTISEMENT

Why do you think Nebraska is a special place?

red rover 70

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2011
Nebraska and Iowa are virtually identical yet we are a Blueblood and Iowa is not. Nebraska was special before Bob and that's why we are as highly ranked on the college football landscape as we are. Except for around 20 years after World War II we have been at the top. What has been Nebraska's key to it's success?

Must be something in the genetics of Nebraskans that makes them so loyal. We have taken a lot of abuse as a fan base since 2001 and just keep coming back, hoping for better days ahead.

Nebraska football is special for the same reasons Iowa wresting or Kansas basketball are. Tradi
tion, rabid fan support, administration dedicated to championships, etc.

Comparing football to basketball and wrestling just doesn't do this debate justice. Wrestling is an individual sport and basketball can be won at a high level with minimal personal. Football takes a small army of players. It has to be the quality of the people in the equation for it to present 100 years ago as well as today.

Reactions: elvis1403
Comparing football to basketball and wrestling just doesn't do this debate justice. Wrestling is an individual sport and basketball can be won at a high level with minimal personal. Football takes a small army of players. It has to be the quality of the people in the equation for it to present 100 years ago as well as today.
Wrestling is a stretch, as it doesn't have the big time money and scrutiny of football. I honestly only included it because of Iowa. But I do think Kansas basketball and Nebraska football are perfect parallels.

Wrestling is a stretch, as it doesn't have the big time money and scrutiny of football. I honestly only included it because of Iowa. But I do think Kansas basketball and Nebraska football are perfect parallels.

There are some similarities. But the sheer numbers make it difficult to compare the two especially over 100+years.

I was going to say it comes down solely to tradition and history, so I am curious why you think "Nebraska was special before Bob?"

Memorial Stadium is full no matter what. Kinnick is not.....start with that

That "starts" too late, as the most plausible reason why there is an asymmetry has precisely to do with our tradition and history.

Being an NU alum is important to me and that pride extends to the athletics. I'm not a Nebraska native so perhaps that's why "There is no place like Nebraska" doesn't mean a thing to me. I will be interested to read this thread and find out what I'm missing.

I was going to say it comes down solely to tradition and history, so I am curious why you think "Nebraska was special before Bob?"

Maybe you should know your Nebraska football history. If not for the 20 years between 41-61 Nebraska would sit on top of the college football world.

"Prior to 1941, Nebraska had an all time .732 winning percentage, which was the seventh best winning percentage in college football at the time. (Behind, in order, Yale, Princeton, Notre Dame, Harvard, Michigan and Minnesota.)"

Maybe you should know your Nebraska football history. If not for the 20 years between 41-61 Nebraska would sit on top of the college football world.

"Prior to 1941, Nebraska had an all time .732 winning percentage, which was the seventh best winning percentage in college football at the time. (Behind, in order, Yale, Princeton, Notre Dame, Harvard, Michigan and Minnesota.)"

Nobody cared pre Bobfather. How many NC's did NU have prior to Devaney??? I didn't think so. "Special" is a relative term.

I took a friend to the UCLA game out here (LA) he was pretty much football clueless and had no allegiance. In fact the year before we spent a weekend in Vegas and he enjoyed betting on games because it made him follow the ball more on tv. Just so you know how very little he cared or knew about the game. Before we left for the tailgate we told him there was a 100% chance we would end up parking next to someone we knew or someone who knew someone we knew. It happened within the 1st 10 minutes. As the day went on he was welcomed to multiple tailgates, free beers, how ya doings and whatnot. We lost that game but by the end of the day he was hooked by the sense of community. Completely void of a team he adopted ours as his. He has been to a game in Lincoln, has personalized Husker checks (wife refuses to use), listens to Sharp and Benning every morning via podcast, even played the tunnel walk on his phone after his kids were born last month. He now wants his kids to go to Lincoln just so he can visit. I really think there was apprehension spending a day watching a sport he knew little about with complete strangers. He was put at ease immediately and welcomed with open arms. I am sure there are other places this happens but not many.

Reactions: red rover 70
Nobody cared pre Bobfather. How many NC's did NU have prior to Devaney??? I didn't think so. "Special" is a relative term.

Nebraska had multiple undefeated seasons that didn't end in a National Championship. Back then the Eastern bias was completely real. Notre Dame and their legendary 4 Horsemen and Nebraska had a little special history too.

http://www.mccookgazette.com/story/1786825.html

Being an NU alum is important to me and that pride extends to the athletics. I'm not a Nebraska native so perhaps that's why "There is no place like Nebraska" doesn't mean a thing to me. I will be interested to read this thread and find out what I'm missing.

Wow! And you're a graduate. You understand that's your song... also known as Dear Old Nebraska U???

Reactions: 94husker
Wow! And you're a graduate. You understand that's your song... also known as Dear Old Nebraska U???
Of course I know it's the song, but I was only stating that I can't think of much that's special about the state of Nebraska. Let me know so I can tell my Denver-raised wife. So far I haven't been very convincing when I have tried.

Since 2002, Iowa, Nebraska and Virginia each have 115 wins in Football. Nebraska has five great years
Nebraska has won five national titles (1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997).

I would say Nebraska fans know more how Minnesota Golden Gopher fans once felt.

XURYRXSMOKOTIRJ.20151123040138.jpg

Nebraska and Iowa are virtually identical yet we are a Blueblood and Iowa is not. Nebraska was special before Bob and that's why we are as highly ranked on the college football landscape as we are. Except for around 20 years after World War II we have been at the top. What has been Nebraska's key to it's success?
God lives there.

I had the privilege to travel the entire state, 8 years. Great people, scenery, history, and a pretty good football team that tied the entire state into an experience I've never found anyplace else in all my 30 years on the road....retired now

I wasn't aware of that. And yes, my position was that Nebraska wasn't special prior to Devaney. I'm still not sure that Nebraska was that special prior to Devaney, but having no knowledge of things like our competition, fan support, and recognition (or lack thereof), I won't try to argue that Nebraska wasn't special. However, you have to acknowledge that leaving out 20 years is quite a large sample, is it not?

I still think what makes Nebraska special is what started with Devaney. TO maintained a high-level of consistency and success for another 20+ years, having one of the best 5 year stints for a coach and team ever in the mid-90s. That set the foundation for what Nebraska is today, a middling program by rankings, but a rare and exceptional one in terms of its tradition, history, and support. When I think of what makes Nebraska special, that is it.

I believe Nebraska was the only team to beat the Four Horsemen, twice. I believe we also beat Red Grange's Illinois team back in the 20's. Too lazy to Google it however.

Of course I know it's the song, but I was only stating that I can't think of much that's special about the state of Nebraska. Let me know so I can tell my Denver-raised wife. So far I haven't been very convincing when I have tried.
Sounds like your Denver-raised wife has never ventured off of I-80. More power to her. Denver people remind me of folks that claim to be the biggest music fans but only buy greatest hits albums.

I took a friend to the UCLA game out here (LA) he was pretty much football clueless and had no allegiance. In fact the year before we spent a weekend in Vegas and he enjoyed betting on games because it made him follow the ball more on tv. Just so you know how very little he cared or knew about the game. Before we left for the tailgate we told him there was a 100% chance we would end up parking next to someone we knew or someone who knew someone we knew. It happened within the 1st 10 minutes. As the day went on he was welcomed to multiple tailgates, free beers, how ya doings and whatnot. We lost that game but by the end of the day he was hooked by the sense of community. Completely void of a team he adopted ours as his. He has been to a game in Lincoln, has personalized Husker checks (wife refuses to use), listens to Sharp and Benning every morning via podcast, even played the tunnel walk on his phone after his kids were born last month. He now wants his kids to go to Lincoln just so he can visit. I really think there was apprehension spending a day watching a sport he knew little about with complete strangers. He was put at ease immediately and welcomed with open arms. I am sure there are other places this happens but not many.

This.

I've been amazed at how many of my old coworkers didn't care about football at all that became Husker football fans.

A buddy of mine from Iowa lived in North Platte for 3 years working with me. After watching a few games with us at different people's houses back in 2007 and 2008, he is now a die-hard Husker fan who ended up moving back to Iowa.
He talks crap to Iowa fans on his Facebook page all the time and loves the Huskers.

It is amazing how people can go crazy about the Huskers when they aren't even from Nebraska. Maybe this happens elsewhere, but I think it is cool to witness.

I wasn't aware of that. And yes, my position was that Nebraska wasn't special prior to Devaney. I'm still not sure that Nebraska was that special prior to Devaney, but having no knowledge of things like our competition, fan support, and recognition (or lack thereof), I won't try to argue that Nebraska wasn't special. However, you have to acknowledge that leaving out 20 years is quite a large sample, is it not?

I still think what makes Nebraska special is what started with Devaney. TO maintained a high-level of consistency and success for another 20+ years, having one of the best 5 year stints for a coach and team ever in the mid-90s. That set the foundation for what Nebraska is today, a middling program by rankings, but a rare and exceptional one in terms of its tradition, history, and support. When I think of what makes Nebraska special, that is it.

I don't discount those pre Devaney years at all. We're get close to nine hundred wins. And to do that you have to win a lot of games... and i mean a lot of games! We had one of the worst records during that 20 year stretch. If we would of just been average we would be sitting just above Michigan in wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT