ADVERTISEMENT

Why do most other fan bases not see it?

I don't get it. Have we all forgotten what crazy man and average coach Bo was able to do with most of the West opponents. I believe Outside of Wisconsin he had a winning record vs all West teams. Was able to get 9 and 10 win season every year. Bo Pelini, not Nick Saban. Bo F ing Pelini. People are failing to realize what a total disaster of a coach Mike Riley was. It is nothing more than that. Horrible coach, horrible results. The west hasn't been having its way with us the last 4 years because they are all getting that much better and it is going to be a dog fight from now on. Frost is a proven coach and light years ahead of what Bo is. If Bo could control the west, Frost will have little problem.
People need to stop selling the program short because 1 idiot of coach trashed the program for 3 years.

He did too, those guys are ONLY thinking about the teams Mike Riley fielded. Bo Pelini handed Iowa and the rest of them their buts. He just couldn’t beat Wisconsin. The Badgers was his nightmare for what ever reason. He even got the best of PSU the times we played them. Again, those guys that say “Oh we heard that before with Nebraska” they are only thinking about the couple years Mike Riley was coach and purposely ignoring how an average Bo Pelini did while going averaging 10-9 wins a year. I fully agree, the Iowa fans and all the other ones talking that way seem to think the Huskers will keep playing like they did when Mike Riley was coach. It’s like they keep forgetting the dude go fired and a proven, top tier Head Coach in Scott Frost got hired. Year one a was a rebuild. But when Frost gets his players going, the reality will slap in the face sooner then later. GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
We will get the "credit" when and only when it is earned. Why the heck does anyone even care what other fans think of our team and program? It changes absolutely nothing. It's like a big shouting contest that means nothing until it is settled on the field. I just don't understand. I guess it goes along with the back and forth that goes on with Iowa fans. What meaningless dribble. If Iowa sucks and they have owned us of late, what does that say about our team? I hated it when our high school kids talked trash, just get it done on the field and you don't have to say a single word. People will notice that, not the motor mouth.
In the big picture of things, everything is pretty well meaningless. Even college football.

Everybody knows we're going in the right direction. Everybody has the right to be gun-shy at this point though.

I see the progress and there's no doubt we will get there but right now I just don't believe we have the depth and even with improved O-line play, I don't think we will be championship level on the o-line yet.

We're a few skill position injuries away from being mediocre.

We COULD be elite this year. But we're likely looking at a solid 9 win season. Elite seasons in the near future.

How many other teams do you follow closely in the preseason? How many articles on Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc have you read? Do you know how many schools got new strength coaches, did different camps, etc? Fans inherently follow their team closely and are generally optimistic because the success of their team brings them happiness. Quite frankly thinking about reading a bunch of preseason articles about teams I don’t cheer for sounds super boring and I love college football. I have no idea if they have reason for optimism or not beyond returning starters and they probably don’t know that about us. Why would we expect anyone not invested to read preseason articles about a 4-8 team? Once the season starts we’ll all see where we’re at, I remain optimistic but I don’t really care what other fanbases think, they’ll know soon enough.

How many other teams do you follow closely in the preseason? How many articles on Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc have you read? Do you know how many schools got new strength coaches, did different camps, etc? Fans inherently follow their team closely and are generally optimistic because the success of their team brings them happiness. Quite frankly thinking about reading a bunch of preseason articles about teams I don’t cheer for sounds super boring and I love college football. I have no idea if they have reason for optimism or not beyond returning starters and they probably don’t know that about us. Why would we expect anyone not invested to read preseason articles about a 4-8 team? Once the season starts we’ll all see where we’re at, I remain optimistic but I don’t really care what other fanbases think, they’ll know soon enough.
Right on, outside of a teams record most of us don't follow the inner workings of other programs. So I assume teams see the 4 wins behind Nebraska name the last 2 years and automatically assume, "oh they are going to suck again"
You are right, it really doesn't matter what other programs think of us. I just find it confusing that expert after expert is high on Nebraska and other fans bases are like, Oh everyone is wrong, Nebraska will suck.
MN as an example. Many are hyping MN. Looking at the surface. I see a team who lost to Maryland and Illinois and a team who Nebraska destroyed last year. Where is the hype coming from? However, I can at least acknowledge people far smarter than I may know a bit more and have reason for hyping them up.

We will get the "credit" when and only when it is earned. Why the heck does anyone even care what other fans think of our team and program? It changes absolutely nothing. .

This. So much this. Who GAF what other fans think?

When Nebraska gets around to

1) Beating the teams that they're supposed to beat and
2) Beating good teams regularly

instead of crapping the bed, we'll get "credit". Because it will have been earned.

Yapping about not getting credit -- when we have been sucking -- is really........... K-State-ish.

Reactions: SOHusker11
This. So much this. Who GAF what other fans think?

When Nebraska gets around to

1) Beating the teams that they're supposed to beat and
2) Beating good teams regularly

instead of crapping the bed, we'll get "credit". Because it will have been earned.

Yapping about not getting credit -- when we have been sucking -- is really........... K-State-ish.

I think the OPs point is how do the experts and national media all see the progress the Huskers have made but the other BIG 10 west fan bases don’t. Like they expect the Huskers to continue playing as fit Mike Riley and his staff was still in place. That’s it...nothing more and nothing less. Yep, Mike Riley’s teams screwed up over and over again. But this won’t be a Mike Riley team anymore and anyone with eyes could the progress made the final 6-7 games. All this shows is, those fan bases never watched the Huskers play, period.

Right on, outside of a teams record most of us don't follow the inner workings of other programs. So I assume teams see the 4 wins behind Nebraska name the last 2 years and automatically assume, "oh they are going to suck again"
You are right, it really doesn't matter what other programs think of us. I just find it confusing that expert after expert is high on Nebraska and other fans bases are like, Oh everyone is wrong, Nebraska will suck.
MN as an example. Many are hyping MN. Looking at the surface. I see a team who lost to Maryland and Illinois and a team who Nebraska destroyed last year. Where is the hype coming from? However, I can at least acknowledge people far smarter than I may know a bit more and have reason for hyping them up.

But at the same time, people will hush over a guy who is a.500 coach at Purdue, in Brohm.

I agree, it comes down to the fact that most fans only pay attention to the here and now and preconceived ideas on what a team should be. Purdue is better than they used to be, so they are a team to worry about, even though they are coming off back to back 6-6 regular seasons. Northwestern overachieves because they have tough academic standards. Fitzgerald is a top coach in the league even though he has as many losing seasons (three) as he does 10 win seasons in the past 8 years.

But at the same time, people will hush over a guy who is a.500 coach at Purdue, in Brohm.

I agree, it comes down to the fact that most fans only pay attention to the here and now and preconceived ideas on what a team should be. Purdue is better than they used to be, so they are a team to worry about, even though they are coming off back to back 6-6 regular seasons. Northwestern overachieves because they have tough academic standards. Fitzgerald is a top coach in the league even though he has as many losing seasons (three) as he does 10 win seasons in the past 8 years.

And the difference here is Frost was in year 1 of a complete rebuild. Purdue wasn’t. And the same goes for Northwestern.

And the difference here is Frost was in year 1 of a complete rebuild. Purdue wasn’t. And the same goes for Northwestern.

What the hell are you talking about? My post has nothing to do with Nebraska. My point, which was clearly stated, is that most fans have a preconceived idea on what a team is and is going to be based on what they have been in most recent years. Fans of college football look at Purdue and they see a team as a perpetual doormat in the Big 10. Brohm comes in and turns them into a bowl team in year one and he is perceived as turning the program around, he becomes the leading candidate to take over at Louisville after back to back 6-6 season. But if you ask fans across college football, some are going to be more concerned with Purdue than Nebraska.

As far as Purdue being a total rebuild, I think you better check your facts.

1-11
3-9
2-10
3-9

That is the team Brohm took over. If that isn't a total rebuild, neither was Nebraska.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Northwestern and Fitzgerald, I only said that the perception is that Fitz is this great coach, but he has as many losing seasons as he does 10 win seasons in the past 8 years. Not at all sure what that has to do with total rebuild.

What the hell are you talking about? My post has nothing to do with Nebraska. My point, which was clearly stated, is that most fans have a preconceived idea on what a team is and is going to be. Fans of college football look at Purdue and they see a team as a perpetual doormat in the Big 10. Brohm comes in and turns them into a bowl team in year one and he is perceived as turning the program around, he becomes the leading candidate to take over at Louisville after back to back 6-6 season. But if you ask fans across college football, some are going to be more concerned with Purdue than Nebraska.

1-11
3-9
2-10
3-9

That is the team Brohm took over. If that isn't a total rebuild, neither was Nebraska.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Northwestern and Fitzgerald, I only said that the perception is that Fitz is this great coach, but he has as many losing seasons as he does 10 win seasons in the past 8 years. Not at all sure what that has to do with total rebuild.

Simple, last year was Frosts year 1 and it wasn’t NW or Purdues year 1 for their staffs. There’s no facts you can post the change that. OPs biggest point was progress and how far along the Huskers have came along in Frosts year 1. Again, those two teams you mentioned aren’t in year 1 of rebuilds. Brohm is in year 3 and Fitz has been at NW for 13 to 14 years now. No where near the same thing.

Simple, last year was Frosts year 1 and it wasn’t NW or Purdues year 1 for their staffs. There’s no facts you can post the change that. OPs biggest point was progress and how far along the Huskers have came along I’m Frosts year 1. Again, those two teams you mentioned aren’t in year 1 of rebuilds. Brohm is in year 3 and Fitz has been at NW for 13 to 14 years now. No where near the same thing.

The OP asked why fans of other teams don't see what the prognosticators and Nebraska fans see in this year's version of Nebraska football.

edit -

I have quoted the OP into this response, please show me where he posts anything about progress or rebuilds or anything else other than why do other fans not see what Nebraska fans and the prognosticators see.

I'll hang up and listen.

I find it funny that Nebraska has been getting ranked in poll after poll. Has been picked as dark horse NC. Has many experts picking them as the turn around team of the year, Martinez as a heisman level qb, to win 8-10 games, top pick for the west title.
Now I get why us Nebraska fans have hype over the last 15-20 years. We have been the only ones who have tried to see the positive and remain hyped. Now this year all the experts are saying it too. Yet almost every college football fan I have talked to or read comments from have zero respect for Nebraska. They all laugh at the these preseason polls and experts. I have seen comments like, "Nebraska will be lucky to make a bowl this year" "If they can get above .500 that should be good" "They have no shot at the BIG10" "Nebraska is a 4-8 team with no talent". These weren't just Iowa fans. All were taken from other conference fans.

So why is that do you think? Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. They don't see the changes in the weight room. They don't see the mentally shifting. They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska and only know us as a middle of the pack team. So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF.
Or are we and all these experts just plain over hyped and wrong.

Oh wait - edit 2

It was in fact you, interpreting what you thought the OP was talking about...

[/QUOTE]
I think the OPs point is how do the experts and national media all see the progress the Huskers have made but the other BIG 10 west fan bases don’t.
.......All this shows is, those fan bases never watched the Huskers play, period.

If you read the last sentence in your post, You will see that my post agrees with you. I do not believe that other fan bases watch Nebraska play very often. So they base their opinions on what they did see last year, be that in a 4-8 record, or perhaps in how Nebraska fared against their team or in another game that they may have caught on the television. In fact, they do that for all teams that they are not deeply involved with......

Last edited:
I think the OPs point is how do the experts and national media all see the progress the Huskers have made but the other BIG 10 west fan bases don’t. Like they expect the Huskers to continue playing as fit Mike Riley and his staff was still in place. That’s it...nothing more and nothing less. Yep, Mike Riley’s teams screwed up over and over again. But this won’t be a Mike Riley team anymore and anyone with eyes could the progress made the final 6-7 games. All this shows is, those fan bases never watched the Huskers play, period.
Bingo, I don't care what other fan bases think about us. Just curious why they can't see what us and all the experts see. As many have answered. Probably because they are just looking at the surface (4-8) They don't follow and understand what has been going in internally. Where as us and the experts tend to dig and follow stuff more closely. We notice the little things more so. Just as we don't notice the little stuff going on in other programs. Excepts Iowa. We know exactly what is going on with Iowa football. lol Hello no conf championship, no NC, 7-9 win season, and a bowl game( aka Iowa NC)

So you start a thread asking why fans from other teams don’t see why the pundits and Nebraska fans are picking Nebraska to win the West etc, then finish up the thread with I don’t care what other fan bases think of us.

What the hell was the purpose of the thread? It’s like a dude asking his buddies why chicks don’t think he’s cool, then when he gets the answer he says I don’t care what those chicks say anyway.

IMO follow the money. It doesn’t matter what other fan bases think, we and they, see things through a biased perspective. Last year Vegas had us at 5.5 over/under to start the season. We ended 4-8. When I thought they were nuts, they pretty much hit the mark. This year we’re at 8.5 with money to the over. So Vegas basically thinks we’re a 9 win team. A +5 improvement. And they didn’t come to that conclusion based on shots in the dark, a Friday afternoon game of darts or good vibes. They employ hundreds if not thousands of bean counters to compile and analyze mountains of data, some of which we’ve probably never considered or heard of, and they’ve been preparing for this season for 6-9 months with one goal in mind. Make sure the numbers are accurate to the point that it entices people to bet, but ensures that the risk to the house is mitigated. Those hotels weren’t built because people won. They were built because actuaries know more because of data than average Joe bettor knows based on his message board kool aid.

IMO follow the money. It doesn’t matter what other fan bases think, we and they, see things through a biased perspective. Last year Vegas had us at 5.5 over/under to start the season. We ended 4-8. When I thought they were nuts, they pretty much hit the mark. This year we’re at 8.5 with money to the over. So Vegas basically thinks we’re a 9 win team. A +5 improvement. And they didn’t come to that conclusion based on shots in the dark, a Friday afternoon game of darts or good vibes. They employ hundreds if not thousands of bean counters to compile and analyze mountains of data, some of which we’ve probably never considered or heard of, and they’ve been preparing for this season for 6-9 months with one goal in mind. Make sure the numbers are accurate to the point that it entices people to bet, but ensures that the risk to the house is mitigated. Those hotels weren’t built because people won. They were built because actuaries know more because of data than average Joe bettor knows based on his message board kool aid.
Yep, Yes Vegas missed the mark sometime, but you are right they have and use info, stats, and computer algorithms we couldn't even imagine to come up with the lines they set. If vegas think we have 8.5 win team. You can bet we are going to be within a game or so 1 way or the other. 8-10 win is what we can expect this year.

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about? My post has nothing to do with Nebraska. My point, which was clearly stated, is that most fans have a preconceived idea on what a team is and is going to be based on what they have been in most recent years. Fans of college football look at Purdue and they see a team as a perpetual doormat in the Big 10. Brohm comes in and turns them into a bowl team in year one and he is perceived as turning the program around, he becomes the leading candidate to take over at Louisville after back to back 6-6 season. But if you ask fans across college football, some are going to be more concerned with Purdue than Nebraska.

1-11
3-9
2-10
3-9

Anybody who does what Fitz has done at Northwestern is a pretty damned good football coach. Michigan and the Green Bay Packers appeared to think so when they offered him their coaching positions.

Reactions: PNWHawk
Anybody who does what Fitz has done at Northwestern is a pretty damned good football coach. Michigan and the Green Bay Packers appeared to think so when they offered him their coaching positions.
He does a good job. Don’t get me wrong. He just isn’t as good as he is made out to be. His successes are judges against expectation. He is great because he gets Northwestern to 10 wins. No Pelini get’s Nebraska to 10 wins and is shown the door. Fitz is a guy that will take underdog teams and make them respectable. He has a high school approach about him, he is more of a tamed down Fleck. I am not sure is approach works in the NFL. Schiano, Saban, Spurrier, college guys who like to control things and players don’t do well in the NFL. We’ll probably never see what he could do at a blueblood because he chose security.

4-8 two years in a row, a poor defense two years in a row and a nearly 20 year history of being blown out in just about every game that matters. I hope this team is the one that turns the tide and the next 20 years are much better than the previous 20 years. Having relevant football being played by Nebraska in November every year was so much fun.

Ncaa Coaches poll says we're #26

Below Mich St. - Syracuse & Utah. Suuuuuuuuuuuuure...

1. Clemson (59)
2. Alabama (6)
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. LSU
7. Michigan
8. Florida
9. Notre Dame
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Washington
13. Oregon
14. Penn State
15. Utah
16. Auburn
T17. Wisconsin
T17. UCF
19. Iowa
20. Michigan State
21. Washington State
22. Syracuse
23. Stanford
24. Iowa State
25. Northwestern

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...n-rankings-ohio-state-lands-in-the-top-5/amp/

So why is that do you think?
Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. Yes
They don't see the changes in the weight room. Yes
They don't see the mentally shifting. Yes
They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. Yes
They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. Yes
They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska (No, but doesn't matter/isn't relevant) and only know us as a middle of the pack team. Yes, because we have been for 20 years
So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF. Seems very clear to me that we deserve to have hype received with skepticism. The college football world doesn't revolve around Nebraska, unfortunately.

You also just described every fan base in America.

Every fan base in America, just like any coach at media day, can talk about how much they love their team, the progress they made, their culture, and the job they have done in recruiting. That is all we have had to go off of since the end of last season so we eat that crap up.

I really believe that every program in the Big 10 not named Rutgers is trending up. Winning each week in the Big 10 will come down to splitting hairs, and will include critical factors that we cannot predict on August 1. Factors such as injuries and “winning the margins” or “winning the situations” like 3rd down %, red zone %, penalties, negative plays, explosive plays, turnovers, tackling, field position, momentum. To win the West, Nebraska has to be great winning the margins, every week! But so does Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, etc.

Long story long, what National “experts”, rival fan bases, or homers have to say is fun to discuss/debate, with each view tainted by perspective, but it is next to impossible to sit here and confidently say that Nebraska will be 10-2 or 8-4 based on a number of assumptions that unfortunately we can not predict. There may only be two programs in America that can do that.

A. Nebraska's last 6, 4-2.
B. Nebraska's losses: -5, -5, -46, -14, -17, -3, -5, -3. NU was 4-8, but a total of five possessions away from being 9-3.
C. Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez.
When A, B and C are considered together, it isn't crazy talk to consider NU an top 20 team and a strong contender for the B1G West.

Post of the year

I'll be blunt with you OP, I don't think Nebraska can stop the run and I think your OL sucks. I have to see both units not suck before I believe they don't regardless of preseason hype.

This isn't some troll or whatever, just my honest opinion.
I respect your input. However, unless you have followed every aspect of Nebraska practices since the end of last year you have no idea if our lines suck or not. Just as we don't follow every aspect of Wisc, Im assuming you haven't paid attention to much of what has been going on in Nebraska the last 9 months or so. Your opinion is strictly based off the first 6 games of last year. Even towards the end of last year, the line play improved. Yes we have lost a few starters, but none were super stars that can't be pretty easily replaced. I understand the skepticism and opinion, I agree hype mean very little until a team proves it on the field. Believe it or not but I like many believe Nebraska will do so this year.
dont believe what you see and hear?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT