ADVERTISEMENT

Why do most other fan bases not see it?

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I find it funny that Nebraska has been getting ranked in poll after poll. Has been picked as dark horse NC. Has many experts picking them as the turn around team of the year, Martinez as a heisman level qb, to win 8-10 games, top pick for the west title.
Now I get why us Nebraska fans have hype over the last 15-20 years. We have been the only ones who have tried to see the positive and remain hyped. Now this year all the experts are saying it too. Yet almost every college football fan I have talked to or read comments from have zero respect for Nebraska. They all laugh at the these preseason polls and experts. I have seen comments like, "Nebraska will be lucky to make a bowl this year" "If they can get above .500 that should be good" "They have no shot at the BIG10" "Nebraska is a 4-8 team with no talent". These weren't just Iowa fans. All were taken from other conference fans.

So why is that do you think? Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. They don't see the changes in the weight room. They don't see the mentally shifting. They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska and only know us as a middle of the pack team. So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF.
Or are we and all these experts just plain over hyped and wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
It’s due to it all being on paper.

1.Traditionally, teams that finish strong, and also lose games by 7 or less, are due for a big season.

2. The schedule is one of the most favorable that Nebraska has had in years, perfect for an improvement.

3. I think the hype also comes around Frosts year 1-2 improvements at UCF.

It’s stuff to be hyped about, but there’s a ton of things that’ll need marked improvement for it to come to fruition.

Most people just see a team that’s 8-16 over the last 2 years, and it’s the only true thing you can see.

Sucking for a few decades tends to wear people out. That, and no conference titles since before their kids were born is kind of a problem if you're looking for respect to.
I get that side of things. Frankly I really don't care all the much what other fan bases think of us. Was just an observation. When you have most experts, media, and Vegas high on Nebraska. I would assume they at least know a little bit about what they are talking about. Enough to at least say, "hmmm, maybe Nebraska could be legit this year"

1.Traditionally, teams that finish strong, and also lose games by 7 or less, are due for a big season.

2. The schedule is one of the most favorable that Nebraska has had in years, perfect for an improvement.

3. I think the hype also comes around Frosts year 1-2 improvements at UCF.

It’s stuff to be hyped about, but there’s a ton of things that’ll need marked improvement for it to come to fruition.

Most people just see a team that’s 8-16 over the last 2 years, and it’s the only true thing you can see.
Well said.

We all hear about how we are getting better, SnC, bigger,stronger maybe even faster with the same guys, and the comeback is, those other teams arent just sitting around too.
But remember, we had to go behind step one in SnC last year, as Duval couldnt just start from step one as normal.
Then, look at how many guys left a team withthe coach of the year coming in.
That was us,these last two years, going thru coaches like crazy, with no foundation in sight.

So, now we have stability, something most teams have had, now we have a true SnC program, again, a common thing on most teams.
We also have that coach of the year, the staff, finally an ability to develope players, many highly rated, who were previously mired down, now can excel.
So,we have much much more to gain in our players, we have a superior scheme in our offense, we have superior coaching.
They assume this is all we are, what our previous players showed, and didnt watch us improve last year, they only see the end product,4-8.
While we improve this year, those same fans still wont notice us, not til maybe the end of the year, then theyll have a better understanding

Reactions: husker2612
We all hear about how we are getting better, SnC, bigger,stronger maybe even faster with the same guys, and the comeback is, those other teams arent just sitting around too.
But remember, we had to go behind step one in SnC last year, as Duval couldnt just start from step one as normal.
Then, look at how many guys left a team withthe coach of the year coming in.
That was us,these last two years, going thru coaches like crazy, with no foundation in sight.

So, now we have stability, something most teams have had, now we have a true SnC program, again, a common thing on most teams.
We also have that coach of the year, the staff, finally an ability to develope players, many highly rated, who were previously mired down, now can excel.
So,we have much much more to gain in our players, we have a superior scheme in our offense, we have superior coaching.
They assume this is all we are, what our previous players showed, and didnt watch us improve last year, they only see the end product,4-8.
While we improve this year, those same fans still wont notice us, not til maybe the end of the year, then theyll have a better understanding
Good points. Honestly even if we do have a good year 8, 9, 10 wins. I still don't see others giving us respect. In my opinion we are viewed in the same ball park as teams like. Purdue, NW, Iowa. Teams that have a good year every so often, then fall back off to average or bad. To have the same respect as a Michigan, (even Michigan doesn't get a ton of respect from other fan bases) Ohio St. We are going to have have to put 3 or 4 years of top 10 teams and probably win the BIG at least once.

So why is that do you think?
Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. Yes
They don't see the changes in the weight room. Yes
They don't see the mentally shifting. Yes
They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. Yes
They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. Yes
They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska (No, but doesn't matter/isn't relevant) and only know us as a middle of the pack team. Yes, because we have been for 20 years
So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF. Seems very clear to me that we deserve to have hype received with skepticism. The college football world doesn't revolve around Nebraska, unfortunately.

A. Nebraska's last 6, 4-2.
B. Nebraska's losses: -5, -5, -46, -14, -17, -3, -5, -3. NU was 4-8, but a total of five possessions away from being 9-3.
C. Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez.
When A, B and C are considered together, it isn't crazy talk to consider NU an top 20 team and a strong contender for the B1G West.

I find it funny that Nebraska has been getting ranked in poll after poll. Has been picked as dark horse NC. Has many experts picking them as the turn around team of the year, Martinez as a heisman level qb, to win 8-10 games, top pick for the west title.
Now I get why us Nebraska fans have hype over the last 15-20 years. We have been the only ones who have tried to see the positive and remain hyped. Now this year all the experts are saying it too. Yet almost every college football fan I have talked to or read comments from have zero respect for Nebraska. They all laugh at the these preseason polls and experts. I have seen comments like, "Nebraska will be lucky to make a bowl this year" "If they can get above .500 that should be good" "They have no shot at the BIG10" "Nebraska is a 4-8 team with no talent". These weren't just Iowa fans. All were taken from other conference fans.

So why is that do you think? Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. They don't see the changes in the weight room. They don't see the mentally shifting. They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska and only know us as a middle of the pack team. So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF.

Most of it is exactly that and only that. They don’t truly follow the team. Like most fans that aren’t Husker fans, they just look at the final record/s and see the 4-8 and automatically assume “Oh they went 4-8, their team sucks”. But if they took time to truly look into the Huskers season and see how they progressed from game one (or two, depending how you look at it) to the final game against Iowa. Then you take into count the Huskers could have just as easily went 7-6, 8-4, or even 9-3...as well as 4-8. They only lost by 5 points to Colorado, only lost by 5 points to Troy (because we didn’t have Adrian Martinez and Troy is a solid team that was under a TD away from beating Clemson and actually beat LSU), only lost by 3 points in OT to NW (the BIG 10 west champs), only lost by 5 points to OSU and only lost by 3 points to Iowa. All that together is 21 points away from being 9-3. I know we have some “No excuses” Type fans that will look at this and say “We still went 4-8” and I say “Agreed” we DID. But it still doesn’t change the fact we could have just as easily went 7-6, 8-4, or even 9-3 last season. We are definitely a better team then the 4-8 shows...and some experts and some national media see that. GBR

Last edited:
A. Nebraska's last 6, 4-2.
B. Nebraska's losses: -5, -5, -46, -14, -17, -3, -5, -3. NU was 4-8, but a total of five possessions away from being 9-3.
C. Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez.
When A, B and C are considered together, it isn't crazy talk to consider NU an top 20 team and a strong contender for the B1G West.

Exactly. You basically said the same thing I did but beat me to it by 6 minutes. Great minds think a like ;)

Mots fans aren't really that analytical. They tend to believe that teams that have been good recently will stay good, and teams that have been bad will stay bad. They don't know the talent we have and the schedule we have that make us and many experts think we are due for a big jump this year. More people probably knew about our 0-6 start than our 4-2 ending last year. Plus, most of them didn't see us play last year to see that we really weren't as bad as our record showed. That's fine though, they can think what they want, we'll just prove it on the field.

I don't concern myself with preseason hype very much any more. We have to prove it on the field, not in the newspapers or on the message boards.

This.

I am not certain who "most writers" includes. If you out all those guys in a room and said, pick your top five, I doubt Nebraska would be included. They have to keep the fan interest (gotcha) with articles that give some props and the most brazen predictions. Do they truly believe it or are they producing click bate.

I am with Du, you prove it on the field by winning games. Close games, should have/could have still produced a 4 win season. There is reason to be optimistic, but all that doesn't always translate to wins.which this program desperately needs.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

To me you really don't know what you have in a team until about the 4th or 5th game. I tend to think that most "experts" are wrong more times than not when picking dark horse teams. You can look at almost every year where teams under achieve from what national experts think based what they supposedly know. Last season was a pretty good example, Wisconsin, Miami and Auburn were all preseason top 10, of those I would say Miami was probably the dark horse coming off a 7-6 season and they fell pretty flat. Now there is hope considering what Florida did last year coming off a bad 2017.

For the Nebraska fan, I think a lot of us hear what we want to hear. Maybe I am a pessimist but, there are some questions at RB and WR for the offense and the defense will really needs to improve for this team to take a big jump IMO. 4-2 in their final 6 was nice, but who did they beat? Let's get through the middle of October before really start pounding our chest.

Of course it is harder to pick a dark horse. I can say with almost 100% certainty that Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson will win 12 games. Picking 3 teams, that will finish with 12 wins, from the very limited number of top teams is much easier than picking 1 team one team out of 75 teams in the middle of the pack to have a break out year. It is also equally as difficult to pick the 1 or 2 teams that “should be good” that are going to miss the top 10. And easier to pick .500 teams who will remain at or near .500

As far as Nebraska fans go, most who are skeptical are that way because they are gun shy or have seen this before and don’t want to be disappointed again. So they look for potential weaknesses that will be the reason why the team will not reach the 9 wins or whatever. Human nature

Most of it is exactly that and only that. They don’t truly follow the team. Like most fans that aren’t Husker fans, they just look at the final record/s and see the 4-8 and automatically assume “Oh they went 4-8, their team sucks”. But if they took time to truly look into the Huskers season and see how they progressed from game one (or two, depending how you look at it) to the final game against Iowa. Then you take into count the Huskers could have just as easily went 7-6, 8-4, or even 9-3...as well as 4-8. They only lost by 5 points to Colorado, only lost by 5 points to Troy (because we didn’t have Adrian Martinez and Troy is a solid team that was under a TD away from beating Clemson and actually beat LSU), only lost by 3 points in OT to NW (the BIG 10 west champs), only lost by 5 points to OSU and only lost by 3 points to Iowa. All that together is 21 points away from being 9-3. I know we have some “No excuses” Type fans that will look at this and say “We still went 4-8” and I say “Agreed” we DID. But it still doesn’t change the fact we could have just as easily went 7-6, 8-4, or even 9-3 last season. We are definitely better team then the 4-8 shows...and some experts and some national media see that. GBR
When roles are reversed, what is your take on Iowa being 12 points away from being 11-1 last year? And led that 12th game with a minute to go. What is your perspective from being an outside fan base?

I think the original question can be answered by taking a look at your own view point of other teams.

I don’t think there are a handful of opposing fans that don’t realize Nebraska is going to a bowl game this year. They aren’t going 4-8 under Frost again.

When roles are reversed, what is your take on Iowa being 12 points away from being 11-1 last year? And led that 12th game with a minute to go. What is your perspective from being an outside fan base?

I think the original question can be answered by taking a look at your own view point of other teams.

I don’t think there are a handful of opposing fans that don’t realize Nebraska is going to a bowl game this year. They aren’t going 4-8 under Frost again.
I know you didnt ask me, but the old,protect your defense, more 3 yards and a cloud of dust, predictable pro style offense,ugly games,field position and time of possession , a field goal is often a solid loss.
When production goes down,lack of points goes up, which means smaller losses on scoreboard tend to actually be larger in context.
As for Iowa, the above description is very evident,but your staff has been around for ages, and the perfection at running such an offense comes closer than the talent on paper.
But, you still beat get by very fast, you may get yours,but look up, and you're behind by three scores, like what happened in the rose bowl.
Todays cfb is offense first, and really stresses a team such as Iowa, and I'm afraid,its only going to get worse,unless you can get that speed,those bigger and faster and stronger players at skilled spots.

They do see it. They just want to ignore it and hope it’s inaccurate.

I know you didnt ask me, but the old,protect your defense, more 3 yards and a cloud of dust, predictable pro style offense,ugly games,field position and time of possession , a field goal is often a solid loss.
When production goes down,lack of points goes up, which means smaller losses on scoreboard tend to actually be larger in context.
As for Iowa, the above description is very evident,but your staff has been around for ages, and the perfection at running such an offense comes closer than the talent on paper.
But, you still beat get by very fast, you may get yours,but look up, and you're behind by three scores, like what happened in the rose bowl.
Todays cfb is offense first, and really stresses a team such as Iowa, and I'm afraid,its only going to get worse,unless you can get that speed,those bigger and faster and stronger players at skilled spots.
I was asking anyone as an example and I’m glad you responded in kind.

5 games weren't close. We went 3 and 2 in those. 7 games (I'm counting Purdue which imo was an evenly played game) were close. We went 1 and 6 in those. Think we were a 6 or 7 type win team. 9 seems quite reasonable.

I was asking anyone as an example and I’m glad you responded in kind.
Credit to KF and crew, his offense needs to be very perfected to make it work, less choices means the ones available had better work, and Iowas done well, but, I havnt seen too much success out of that scheme as of late, tho I do know KF is breaking old habits some, even Harbaugh is as well, its too tough not to take advantage of the rules.

Pre-season hype is for entertainment purposes ONLY. The smart fans read it for entertainment and recognize it as such BUT they are only impressed at the season end by actual results.

A good example of that is all the pre-season hype about quarterback Lee. He had all those characteristics you'd think would have made him a stellar QB, yet during the actual season he was a bust. Whether it was mental or whatever, very few Nebraska fans were singing his praises at the end of the season.

Now that doesn't mean all pre-season hype is going to be a bust. Some will turn out accurate and some will turn out a bust. That's why we play the games to find out what is reality.

most cbfans are, like most other places in our society, are uninformed about most things but their real interests and beer

Every year under Pelini was going to be a breakout year. We were finally going to get over the hump and break past 9 wins.
People heard it every year and they stopped believing it.

We know this is different. Maybe not this year but we all know it's coming under this new leadership.

Reactions: blackbones
Every year under Pelini was going to be a breakout year. We were finally going to get over the hump and break past 9 wins.

We know this is different. Maybe not this year but we all know it's coming under this new leadership.

18j56u4sn80q6jpg.jpg

This. Along with what many others have said. We’ve had much preseason hype heaped on us in the past only to (literally) get run off the field by the likes of Wisconsin and Ohio State. Most fans of other teams don’t care and probably aren’t interested. Those that are, are much like NU fans... we’ve seen the hype now give us the results that live up to the hype. 2007 and 2010 both come to mind.

I think this is different. I think Frost is light years better than Callahan, Pelini and Riley. I think for the first time in 2 decades we have guy who is not only will live up to the hype, but has an expectation to do so from himself and those around him.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
The only thing this staff isnt working hard is are things that have yet to come up.
Developement,culture,responsibility,work ethic,keeping the game fun,proper perspective in pride in self, nothings too cool, everything can be fun etc etc.
We haven't had a staff with such cutting edge schemes ,that are cutting edge themselves in some ways.
Toughness is next, not just getting there, but staying there.

People in groups are marginalizing and very ignorant. Pay them no mind. Who cares what they think?

Over the years I've come to enjoy every season. I'm always excited to start the year and finish disappointed. If the team looks improved, it's all good in my book.

Listening to others be negative, unless it is a critique of yourself, is largely a waste of time.

I'll be blunt with you OP, I don't think Nebraska can stop the run and I think your OL sucks. I have to see both units not suck before I believe they don't regardless of preseason hype.

This isn't some troll or whatever, just my honest opinion.

That's actually where I'm at too. Until we can fight dirty and bang it out, teams that can have our #

I'll be blunt with you OP, I don't think Nebraska can stop the run and I think your OL sucks. I have to see both units not suck before I believe they don't regardless of preseason hype.

This isn't some troll or whatever, just my honest opinion.
So that's going to stay the case, just because? I mean we can't improve? I get tired of this stupid idea that something isn't going to happen because you haven't seen it happen. I'm sure you've never believed your team was or is going to improve in some area because you hadn't or haven't seen it happen? Oh, wait, you probably do because it's your team. Maybe some bias exists too because we happen to be a division rival? Don't come on here and act like you know how things are really going to be for us as if you're free of bias. Maybe all of these people expecting great things out of us are seeing something that you refuse to acknowledge?

Iowa sucks and will suck again this year

The OP asked why don't other fan bases see what Husker fans are seeing. A rival fan came and answered the question exactly as it was posed. That is the rival fan's perspective. No one said it was right or that Nebraska can't improve, he simply said until a rival fan sees it on the field his opinion won't change.

So that's going to stay the case, just because? I mean we can't improve? I get tired of this stupid idea that something isn't going to happen because you haven't seen it happen. I'm sure you've never believed your team was or is going to improve in some area because you hadn't or haven't seen it happen? Oh, wait, you probably do because it's your team. Maybe some bias exists too because we happen to be a division rival? Don't come on here and act like you know how things are really going to be for us as if you're free of bias. Maybe all of these people expecting great things out of us are seeing something that you refuse to acknowledge?

It could improve, sure, but why should rival fans give Nebraska the benefit of the doubt? Even if you guys win 8 or 9, that's what you've always done. Are we talking about winning the B1G and being a darkhorse NC candidate? If so, there's 0 reason to say yep - Nebraska can do that. If you do win the West (imo) it'll be because of the division eating itself more than you sweeping it like Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern have. You haven't shown anything to change anyone's mind. Just do it first.

Pre-season hype is for entertainment purposes ONLY. The smart fans read it for entertainment and recognize it as such BUT they are only impressed at the season end by actual results.

A good example of that is all the pre-season hype about quarterback Lee. He had all those characteristics you'd think would have made him a stellar QB, yet during the actual season he was a bust. Whether it was mental or whatever, very few Nebraska fans were singing his praises at the end of the season.

Now that doesn't mean all pre-season hype is going to be a bust. Some wil

l turn out accurate and some will turn out a bust. That's why we play the games to find out what is reality.
Ouch! The comment on the Lee hype really hurt. I had kind of forgotten about it.

It could improve, sure, but why should rival fans give Nebraska the benefit of the doubt? Even if you guys win 8 or 9, that's what you've always done. Are we talking about winning the B1G and being a darkhorse NC candidate? If so, there's 0 reason to say yep - Nebraska can do that. If you do win the West (imo) it'll be because of the division eating itself more than you sweeping it like Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern have. You haven't shown anything to change anyone's mind. Just do it first.
The original post referred to fans who think we have no talent or will be lucky to make a bowl again. There's a big difference between that and thinking we're going to win the B1G or be a darkhorse playoff team. I don't think any of us expect other fans to believe that-even many of our own fans don't really buy into that.

The original post referred to fans who think we have no talent or will be lucky to make a bowl again. There's a big difference between that and thinking we're going to win the B1G or be a darkhorse playoff team. I don't think any of us expect other fans to believe that-even many of our own fans don't really buy into that.
That's fair. The darkhorse NC thing in the OP caught my eye immediately as well as whether or not you're true B1G contenders (and that's a fair criticism of all West teams). But saying you have no talent and can't get above .500 are bad takes.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT