ADVERTISEMENT

Why do most other fan bases not see it?

I find it funny that Nebraska has been getting ranked in poll after poll. Has been picked as dark horse NC. Has many experts picking them as the turn around team of the year, Martinez as a heisman level qb, to win 8-10 games, top pick for the west title.
Now I get why us Nebraska fans have hype over the last 15-20 years. We have been the only ones who have tried to see the positive and remain hyped. Now this year all the experts are saying it too. Yet almost every college football fan I have talked to or read comments from have zero respect for Nebraska. They all laugh at the these preseason polls and experts. I have seen comments like, "Nebraska will be lucky to make a bowl this year" "If they can get above .500 that should be good" "They have no shot at the BIG10" "Nebraska is a 4-8 team with no talent". These weren't just Iowa fans. All were taken from other conference fans.

So why is that do you think? Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. They don't see the changes in the weight room. They don't see the mentally shifting. They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska and only know us as a middle of the pack team. So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF.
Or are we and all these experts just plain over hyped and wrong.

I am tired of the talk. I am tired of expectations and I am tired of worrying about getting no respect from other schools' fans. The Huskers need to WIN! That will take care of everything. Who is going to be there with me at Folsom Field to show some support?

I'll be blunt with you OP, I don't think Nebraska can stop the run and I think your OL sucks. I have to see both units not suck before I believe they don't regardless of preseason hype.

This isn't some troll or whatever, just my honest opinion.
I'll be blunter.
Your team loses its OL coach,new guy comes in, your team loses its SnC guy,new guy comes in.
Now, make that happen with the D line as well, then give your honest opinion on how your team would be on the lines?
Would you expect change?
That's all we are doing.

Again no one has said that there is no reason to expect change, it is simply that other fans bases want to see the change rather than just believe it is going to happen. There will be change and there is a good chance that the changes will be good but until we see the change on the field it is all just talk.

Again no one has said that there is no reason to expect change, it is simply that other fans bases want to see the change rather than just believe it is going to happen. There will be change and there is a good chance that the changes will be good but until we see the change on the field it is all just talk.
Looking at the last six games, the scores were changed dramatically from the season before,for the most part.
As assuredly as you expect KF to bring in a good defense and a good/decent run game, we expect this staff to make players better.
The real question is, how much better?
We know what and how the previous staff did in regards to SnC, practices and overall mindset.
Various comments by older players, some still playing,have made note of the changes, as have BTN, alluding to soft practices from the previous staff.
Think of many of the players slightly better than high school shape, thats how the current staff found them.
How many respond is like always, but youll never know until you try.
Many players left the team,in key spots like duck r position, or linebackers,where the team was low on numbers,meaning they would have had a great chance at playing.
You have to ask, why did this happen? There's been talk, the commitments were more than they'd signed up for in the previous staff.
These are all positives,besides getting used to a whole new set of schemes.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Pre-season hype is for entertainment purposes ONLY. The smart fans read it for entertainment and recognize it as such BUT they are only impressed at the season end by actual results.

A good example of that is all the pre-season hype about quarterback Lee. He had all those characteristics you'd think would have made him a stellar QB, yet during the actual season he was a bust. Whether it was mental or whatever, very few Nebraska fans were singing his praises at the end of the season.

Now that doesn't mean all pre-season hype is going to be a bust. Some will turn out accurate and some will turn out a bust. That's why we play the games to find out what is reality.
Oh I know not all hyped players and teams come to fruition. Nebraska has had little to no hype as a team for a very long time. Even a couple years ago when Neb was 7-0 and ranked 7th most if not all in the national media said the record was a smoke mirrors and Neb was overrated. Just seeing Nebraska being talked about again is nice to see.

When roles are reversed, what is your take on Iowa being 12 points away from being 11-1 last year? And led that 12th game with a minute to go. What is your perspective from being an outside fan base?

I think the original question can be answered by taking a look at your own view point of other teams.

I don’t think there are a handful of opposing fans that don’t realize Nebraska is going to a bowl game this year. They aren’t going 4-8 under Frost again.

I still see it the same way actually. I’m a Husker fan, HUGE Husker fan and I hate Iowa. But me and your biggest difference is, I’ll actually give credit where it’s due. I have said it over and over again that last years Iowa team was a great team and could have had a better season if they caught a few breaks. Or take Ferentz out of the equation and give Iowa an actual good head coach to go with that team...and Iowa could have went 10-2 to 11-1. Until Iowa fires Kirk Ferentz, he will always find away to lose a few games he shouldnt and win a game he shouldn’t. Iowa had big time talent last year and that shows just how great of a Head coach Frost is to turn the Huskers around that much to take Iowa in Iowa City to the final seconds and Iowa winning by a last second FG in Frost year one with a true freshman QB. But then again, Ferentz and his staff has been there for decades while this past year was YEAR ONE for Frost and his staff. The progression he made throughout the year was great. It shows the direction of the program and that’s why the national media and some experts have such high hopes for the Huskers and Frost

I seen you liked dudes post about proving it..I agree with that as well. But see, unlike you, I’ll give credit to close loses that could have just as easily went the other teams way. I’m not that big of a homer that I can’t admit and see that. But this post has absolutely NOTHING to do with Iowa and I refuse to let any Hawkeyes turn into an Iowa/Huskers pissing match.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
When roles are reversed, what is your take on Iowa being 12 points away from being 11-1 last year? And led that 12th game with a minute to go. What is your perspective from being an outside fan base?

I think the original question can be answered by taking a look at your own view point of other teams.

I don’t think there are a handful of opposing fans that don’t realize Nebraska is going to a bowl game this year. They aren’t going 4-8 under Frost again.

I think Iowa should have won the west last year. The loss to Wisconsin was confusing and just seemed inevitable as I watched the game.Penn State was the better team, but Iowa should have won, if Stanley calls a timeout. Northwestern won the west by three games. Last season was strange.

Nebraska has to earn it. I think they'll be pretty good.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I'll be blunt with you OP, I don't think Nebraska can stop the run and I think your OL sucks. I have to see both units not suck before I believe they don't regardless of preseason hype.

I respect your input. However, unless you have followed every aspect of Nebraska practices since the end of last year you have no idea if our lines suck or not. Just as we don't follow every aspect of Wisc, Im assuming you haven't paid attention to much of what has been going on in Nebraska the last 9 months or so. Your opinion is strictly based off the first 6 games of last year. Even towards the end of last year, the line play improved. Yes we have lost a few starters, but none were super stars that can't be pretty easily replaced. I understand the skepticism and opinion, I agree hype mean very little until a team proves it on the field. Believe it or not but I like many believe Nebraska will do so this year.

Reactions: SkerInCo
I find it funny that Nebraska has been getting ranked in poll after poll. Has been picked as dark horse NC. Has many experts picking them as the turn around team of the year, Martinez as a heisman level qb, to win 8-10 games, top pick for the west title.
Now I get why us Nebraska fans have hype over the last 15-20 years. We have been the only ones who have tried to see the positive and remain hyped. Now this year all the experts are saying it too. Yet almost every college football fan I have talked to or read comments from have zero respect for Nebraska. They all laugh at the these preseason polls and experts. I have seen comments like, "Nebraska will be lucky to make a bowl this year" "If they can get above .500 that should be good" "They have no shot at the BIG10" "Nebraska is a 4-8 team with no talent". These weren't just Iowa fans. All were taken from other conference fans.

So why is that do you think? Is it just because they don't follow the program as closely as we all do. They don't see the changes in the weight room. They don't see the mentally shifting. They don't follow the players and recruits like we do. They don't watch every minute of every game to see the shift last season. They don't remember a once dominant Nebraska and only know us as a middle of the pack team. So it is similar to MN getting hype and we are all like WTF.
Or are we and all these experts just plain over hyped and wrong.

QB is the most important position. Dline is second most important position and we are very strong in those two areas. Our unknowns are plug and play positions for frost outside of the the oline holes. I still think we win 8 games and are a little disappointed but the schedule is so weak, much like 2016...we could be 8-0, 9-1 easily with that schedule.

I still see it the same way actually. I’m a Husker fan, HUGE Husker fan and I hate Iowa. But me and your biggest difference is, I’ll actually give credit where it’s due. I have said it over and over again that last years Iowa team was a great team and could have had a better season if they caught a few breaks. Or take Ferentz out of the equation and give Iowa an actual good head coach to go with that team...and Iowa could have went 10-2 to 11-1. Until Iowa fires Kirk Ferentz, he will always find away to lose a few games he shouldnt and win a game he shouldn’t. Iowa had big time talent last year and that shows just how great of a Head coach Frost is to turn the Huskers around that much to take Iowa in Iowa City to the final seconds and Iowa winning by a last second FG in Frost year one with a true freshman QB. But then again, Ferentz and his staff has been there for decades while this past year was YEAR ONE for Frost and his staff. The progression he made throughout the year was great. It shows the direction of the program and that’s why the national media and some experts have such high hopes for the Huskers and Frost

I seen you liked dudes post about proving it..I agree with that as well. But see, unlike you, I’ll give credit to close loses that could have just as easily went the other teams way. I’m not that big of a homer that I can’t admit and see that. But this post has absolutely NOTHING to do with Iowa and I refuse to let any Hawkeyes turn into an Iowa/Huskers pissing match.
It’s not a pissing match. I was simply putting yourself into an opposing fans mindset. Iowa fans “know the team” and think Iowa could be better than last year. But I’m guessing opposing fans see what Iowa lost and think “no way”. We are all homers when looking at our own teams.

You’re blind if you don’t think I’ve given lots of credit to Nebraska coaches and players.

Reactions: bshirt73
Every year under Pelini was going to be a breakout year. We were finally going to get over the hump and break past 9 wins.
People heard it every year and they stopped believing it.

We know this is different. Maybe not this year but we all know it's coming under this new leadership.

Its interesting you brought that up. I know this wasn't your point, but the fans who find it difficult to believe Nebraska could win 9 or 10 games in 2019 seem to forget Bo Pelini did it every year. He also did it with marginal effort in the recruiting landscape, below average assistant coaches on defense, and a national perception illustrating he is a total asshole.

Nebraska football has enough support and resources to win 9 or 10 games as a baseline standard. The only time it hasn't achieved that type of pedigree has been when terrible Athletic Directors hired coaches who had no business Coaching a College football program like the University of Nebraska.

Yes this a very fair assessment. And I think most Husker fans would agree. I also think it’s part of the reason many are high on the Huskers. We know what’s coming back at the skill positions. Martinez is going to be a legit Heisman candidate. Wandale Robinson is going to be a legit Big Ten Freshman of the year candidate. JD Speilman probably would have gone over 1000 yds receiving last year had he not gotten hurt and will have an opportunity to do it again this year.

Our OL should be much improved. I think they were okay last year, I just think we lacked depth. This year not only should they be better, we have more depth.

Defensively IMO the addition of Darion Daniels from Oklahoma State is huge. It brings in a really big body at the NT spot with starting P5 experience that provides immediate depth and will allow us to play a true 3-4 unlike last year. He’s a true run stopper. I think we will be noticeably better stopping the run this year.

There is one intangible that Husker fans see that other teams don’t see right now. Frost, Martinez and Barry alluded to it last week at Big Ten media days, but I think this version of the Huskers feels they have something to prove. I think they are going to play with a chip on their shoulder. I think they understand that we’ve seen this movie before, lots of hype with nothing to show for it and I think they are determined to change the ending this year. I think the attitude of this team is probably the best we’ve seen in a decade or more.

Nebraska will be only as good as its defense is. Martinez is one of the most dynamic players in the B1G, but the Huskers lost a lot of production from both sides of the ball from last year. I think the B1G west could be grueling on all the teams but in 2019 I do not think the Huskers will come out on top.

One more year. 2020 will be the year for Nebraska.

Nebraska will be only as good as its defense is. Martinez is one of the most dynamic players in the B1G, but the Huskers lost a lot of production from both sides of the ball from last year. I think the B1G west could be grueling on all the teams but in 2019 I do not think the Huskers will come out on top.

One more year. 2020 will be the year for Nebraska.

I don’t think we lost that much and what we did lose IMO is either offset or it’s addition by subtraction. Mills was the 2017 ACC Freshman of the year at Georgia Tech with 771 yards and 12 TDs in 9 games and had over 1200 last year in JUCO. So he should easily fill Ozigbo’s place in the backfield. Morgan is a loss and we don’t have anyone to fill his spot, it will be by committee. But the addition of Noa from Cal will help and the addition of Wandale Robinson is going to add a dynamic to our offense that we didn’t have last year. Speilman did a nice job in the Duck R last year but he’s not a true Duck R. Robinson is a true Duck R and will help open up more aspects of the playbook.

Defensively Stoltenberg was the biggest loss but other than him none of our defensive losses were irreplaceable. And with the addition of Darion Daniels at NT I Doubt we see any drop off and honestly our DL should be much improved.

Sucking for a few decades tends to wear people out. That, and no conference titles since before their kids were born is kind of a problem if you're looking for respect to.

That the thing we haven't really sucked for a few decades. Unless not winning a NC is sucking. In that case there are many teams that suck. We have had 5 losing season over the last 2 decades and 3 of them came at the hands of smilin mike. We have had 13 9+ winning season. I know we have no conf championship or NC. Prior to the last 4 years we were far from sucking. While most assume these last 4 years have been the last 20. When looking closely at the last 20 years, we haven't been horrible. Just not great.

Last edited:
Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Riley 2
Callahan 2 and
Frost 1

If you count the way you are insinuating

Solich 1
Callahan 1
Pelini 1
Riley 2
Yes, I know technically last year was under Frost. We all know it was a direct result of the shit storm Riley created.

As far as Nebraska fans go, most who are skeptical are that way because they are gun shy or have seen this before and don’t want to be disappointed again. So they look for potential weaknesses that will be the reason why the team will not reach the 9 wins or whatever. Human nature
It’s called battered fan syndrome and I think that I am a victim of it. :D

Yes, I know technically last year was under Frost. We all know it was a direct result of the shit storm Riley created.

But Frost chose to go rip the Band-Aid off and switch everything, schemes and all. I am not saying that was the wrong approach, just saying when a coach is fired, they are usually leaving the next coach with a shit storm.

I am not saying Riley was not a factor, But if you are not crediting Pelini for Riley’s first season issues then you can’t blame Riley for Frost’s.

Minnesota trending up & new facilities
Nebraska trending up
Purdue trending up - less depth but more young talent
Iowa solid - not going away
Northwestern solid - not going away & facilities out of this world
Wisconsin solid - not going away
Illinois sucks

Hard to move up in this league especially quickly. If you flip your record to 8-4 will be impressed. Going to not only need more o & d line talent, but depth as well. Wouldn't be surprised in the least of a three or four way tie in the west this year. As balanced as I can remember.

But Frost chose to go rip the Band-Aid off and switch everything, schemes and all. I am not saying that was the wrong approach, just saying when a coach is fired, they are usually leaving the next coach with a shit storm.

I am not saying Riley was not a factor, But if you are not crediting Pelini for Riley’s first season issues then you can’t blame Riley for Frost’s.
Agreed, fair enough

Its interesting you brought that up. I know this wasn't your point, but the fans who find it difficult to believe Nebraska could win 9 or 10 games in 2019 seem to forget Bo Pelini did it every year. He also did it with marginal effort in the recruiting landscape, below average assistant coaches on defense, and a national perception illustrating he is a total asshole.

Nebraska football has enough support and resources to win 9 or 10 games as a baseline standard. The only time it hasn't achieved that type of pedigree has been when terrible Athletic Directors hired coaches who had no business Coaching a College football program like the University of Nebraska.

100% correct and well stated sir. Bo did indeed win 9 or 10 games a year for the seven consecutive years that he was our HC. He couldn't bring NU to greatness but he was way, wayyyyyyyy better than.......

1. Clownahan.....two losing seasons for his four years as our HC.

2. Smiling Mike.....two losing seasons for his three years as our HC.

Minnesota trending up & new facilities
Nebraska trending up
Purdue trending up - less depth but more young talent
Iowa solid - not going away
Northwestern solid - not going away & facilities out of this world
Wisconsin solid - not going away
Illinois sucks

Hard to move up in this league especially quickly. If you flip your record to 8-4 will be impressed. Going to not only need more o & d line talent, but depth as well. Wouldn't be surprised in the least of a three or four way tie in the west this year. As balanced as I can remember.
Wisconsin - Slowly trending down. Missed out on their chance to become an elite program.
Minnesota - Trending up. Crazy coach but think they'll be every bit as good as Wisconsin in the future.
Purdue - Trending up. Great coach. Might contend for West in years to come.
NW - Totally over-hyped program. Limited ceiling. Best they'll do is spoil a contender's title chances.
Iowa - what you see is what you get. Good but never great. Contender in West but will likely never win conference title.
Nebraska - Only program in the West that has a chance to become elite again. Gone are the shitty coaches and ADs to hold them back.
Illinois - Underachieving program. If they can't do it under Smith, they never will.

Stolt was hurt more than he played, Damion wasn't ready for full time prime time.
D line depth, strength and experience will pay off this year.
O line depth deeper than its been in awhile, will surprise.
AMs second year, this scheme gets better much better than most, as the qb grows within it.
We have more speed than since the nineties overall,the staff knows how to use it better than most.

This years team is the team we thought we'd be seeing, maybe not as salty as it will become, but definately unmistakable as to whats to come.

Talked to a Iowa fan today and I agreed with most he said. Its not the 90's, we shouldn't assume to win anything. Till we prove we can stop the run and play defense , its all talk . NW, Iowa, Purdue , Wisconsin will all field good teams and aren't getting weaker. He said " Been there and heard it before from Nebraska"

Reactions: FreddyUI
Wisconsin - Slowly trending down. Missed out on their chance to become an elite program.
Minnesota - Trending up. Crazy coach but think they'll be every bit as good as Wisconsin in the future.
Purdue - Trending up. Great coach. Might contend for West in years to come.
NW - Totally over-hyped program. Limited ceiling. Best they'll do is spoil a contender's title chances.
Iowa - what you see is what you get. Good but never great. Contender in West but will likely never win conference title.
Nebraska - Only program in the West that has a chance to become elite again. Gone are the shitty coaches and ADs to hold them back.
Illinois - Underachieving program. If they can't do it under Smith, they never will.
Agree, on assessments. Wisc had the best shot they will ever get to reach that next level. They just couldn't do it. They just can't get enough talent there to put them over the edge. I believe we will see them fall off for awhile.
Yes Iowa has been Iowa for decades. They will always be a contender for the West as long as Ferentz is around. I just think with Neb, Purdue, and MN starting to come on it will be very tough for them to get the west with their 8 win seasons they like to have. Think it is going to take 9 and 10 wins many years to get the west title.

Talked to a Iowa fan today and I agreed with most he said. Its not the 90's, we shouldn't assume to win anything. Till we prove we can stop the run and play defense , its all talk . NW, Iowa, Purdue , Wisconsin will all field good teams and aren't getting weaker. He said " Been there and heard it before from Nebraska"
I don't get it. Have we all forgotten what crazy man and average coach Bo was able to do with most of the West opponents. I believe Outside of Wisconsin he had a winning record vs all West teams. Was able to get 9 and 10 win season every year. Bo Pelini, not Nick Saban. Bo F ing Pelini. People are failing to realize what a total disaster of a coach Mike Riley was. It is nothing more than that. Horrible coach, horrible results. The west hasn't been having its way with us the last 4 years because they are all getting that much better and it is going to be a dog fight from now on. Frost is a proven coach and light years ahead of what Bo is. If Bo could control the west, Frost will have little problem.
People need to stop selling the program short because 1 idiot of coach trashed the program for 3 years.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I don't get it. Have we all forgotten what crazy man and average coach Bo was able to do with most of the West opponents. I believe Outside of Wisconsin he had a winning record vs all West teams. Was able to get 9 and 10 win season every year. Bo Pelini, not Nick Saban. Bo F ing Pelini. People are failing to realize what a total disaster of a coach Mike Riley was. It is nothing more than that. Horrible coach, horrible results. The west hasn't been having its way with us the last 4 years because they are all getting that much better and it is going to be a dog fight from now on. Frost is a proven coach and light years ahead of what Bo is. If Bo could control the west, Frost will have little problem.
People need to stop selling the program short because 1 idiot of coach trashed the program for 3 years.
What team other than wiscy was actually worth a damn in Bo's day?
He got fired for not winning the games he couldn't,not for winning the ones he could.

What team other than wiscy was actually worth a damn in Bo's day?
He got fired for not winning the games he couldn't,not for winning the ones he could.

Bo sucked. Don't let the "He wasn't as bad as X" crowd fool you. The problem was not Pederson or Eichhorst. It was Osborne naming Solich as his successor. Pedey didn't handle to hire correctly even though he was correct in identifying the problem.

Last edited:
Ouch! The comment on the Lee hype really hurt. I had kind of forgotten about it.
Lee could have been a very good QB had he not suffered that arm injury. Tom Osborne after watching Lee in practices said "he'll be the next QB drafted from Nebraska." He was that good in practice. He played great in the bowl game that previous fall. Lee while not big had a pro arm and great mobility before the injury. After the injury he was just a smallish QB with damaged goods for an arm.

Simply put, other BIG 10 West fans aren’t going to give us an ounce of credit. I think we seen some of that even in this thread. But when you have a brand new coaching staff in year one of a complete REBUILD and you see the progress made and how close the Huskers where to winning 5 of those games (again we where 20 or 21 points away from being 9-3), that does show how well Scott Frost got the Huskers turned around after the first few games. If Mike Riley was HC still, Iowa would have blown us out and we would have struggled to keep a number of those games close. The OPs question is why does the other fan bases not see what the Husker fans, national media and most experts see...simply put, they refuse to see it...or choose to ignore it because they know what’s coming with Scott Frost as our Head Coach. GBR

Last edited:
Simply put, other BIG 10 West fans aren’t going to give us an ounce of credit. I think we seen some of that even in this thread. But when you have a brand new coaching staff in year one of a complete REBUILD and you see the progress made and how close the Huskers where to winning 5 of those games (again we where 20 or 21 points away from being 9-3), that does show how well Scott Frost got the Huskers turned around after the first few games. If Mike Riley was HC still, Iowa would have blown us out and we have struggled to keep a number of those games close. The OPs question is why does the other fan bases not see what the Husker fans, national media and most experts see...simply put, they refuse to see it...or choose to ignore it because they know what’s coming with Scott Frost as our Head Coach. GBR
I think this is it more so than anything else. Any football fan with half a brain and who paid any attention to Neb football could see the turn around last year. They saw what Frost did at Oregon and UCF. They know Nebraska can pull in talent. They see the talent we have at QB. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the writing on the wall. Deep down I have no doubt Iowa fans and others know what is coming from Nebraska. As opposing fans they will not give an ounce of credit and will trash talk non stop regardless of what they know to be true. It is what it is at this point and really doesn't matter.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Lee could have been a very good QB had he not suffered that arm injury. Tom Osborne after watching Lee in practices said "he'll be the next QB drafted from Nebraska." He was that good in practice. He played great in the bowl game that previous fall. Lee while not big had a pro arm and great mobility before the injury. After the injury he was just a smallish QB with damaged goods for an arm.

I remember suggesting the next time Lee wins will be the first time. Never understood why all the hype, I remember our fans had him going in the first round for some reason.

I think this is it more so than anything else. Any football fan with half a brain and who paid any attention to Neb football could see the turn around last year. They saw what Frost did at Oregon and UCF. They know Nebraska can pull in talent. They see the talent we have at QB. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the writing on the wall. Deep down I have no doubt Iowa fans and others know what is coming from Nebraska. As opposing fans they will not give an ounce of credit and will trash talk non stop regardless of what they know to be true. It is what it is at this point and really doesn't matter.

We will get the "credit" when and only when it is earned. Why the heck does anyone even care what other fans think of our team and program? It changes absolutely nothing. It's like a big shouting contest that means nothing until it is settled on the field. I just don't understand. I guess it goes along with the back and forth that goes on with Iowa fans. What meaningless dribble. If Iowa sucks and they have owned us of late, what does that say about our team? I hated it when our high school kids talked trash, just get it done on the field and you don't have to say a single word. People will notice that, not the motor mouth.

ADVERTISEMENT