ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren't our WR's getting open downfield?

Catch50

Athletic Director
Feb 5, 2003
I'm thinking teams are playing a lot of zone. And our coaching staff doesn't know how to beat zone.

Anyone have wide screen views?

I'm thinking teams are playing a lot of zone. And our coaching staff doesn't know how to beat zone.

We have guy a lot of guys open. Or at least we did last week. And we couldn’t make the throws. Without watching again, I’m not sure about today, my guess is we couldn’t protect well enough.

Look at this one from last week:

We have receivers open all over the place, that 3rd and 22 or whatever it was, Allen was WIDE open as replay showed....horrid ability to execute a JR. high pass

The QBs were combined 21/25 passing, and Martinez was throwing downfield on some passes. The guys were open if you ask me.

Reactions: TerranPetteway
We have receivers open all over the place, that 3rd and 22 or whatever it was, Allen was WIDE open as replay showed....horrid ability to execute a JR. high pass

Do you have some end zone views you can share with us?

My first guess is that opposing teams have adapted to what Frost is doing. Rather than A-Mart having forgotten where open receivers are ... especially since Stanley Morgan and J.D. Spielman have left.

There were some guys wide open today. Problem is both QBs were running for their lives because the line can’t block anyone.

There were some guys wide open today. Problem is both QBs were running for their lives because the line can’t block anyone.

I agree with the protection issue. But do you have proof receivers were wide open today? Or any day? And why can't HCSF sacrifice a receiver for an extra pass blocker? And I don't mean 180 pound RB's.

Reactions: oldjar07
They’ve been wide open. The QBs either can’t make the pass, find them, or don’t have enough time. Seems like they panic.

Several things here. To say we had guys open all over is false, from the TV view we can't see the entire field so give it a break.

Are there guys open at times that the QBs don't see? Sure, happens all the time.

The biggest problem our QBs don't anticipate or have a quick enough release - the time from seeing the receiver to getting rid of the ball. We also don't throw guys open. How many times have you seen our guys catch a ball late on sideline?

Reactions: oldjar07

I've seen some of their routes and they are pathetic. It looks like they are jogging on most of their routes. They have no awareness whatsoever of how to adjust their routes based on where the defense is. On some plays it doesn't look like they're even trying to get open. They'll stand in front of the defender and almost shadow block when it's a clear pass play so idk what the hell they're trying to do. Some of it is bad scheme, some of it is our receivers suck. The few times they do get open, the quarterback doesn't get them the ball. This is about as bad as the 2017 offense.

It doesn’t help when Frost refuses to play Brown and Betts and instead is happy with guys that can’t run under 5.5 forty.
You mean the 3 Doane college second string receivers in falk warner and whom ever the favorite walkon of the week is

They’ve been wide open. The QBs either can’t make the pass, find them, or don’t have enough time. Seems like they panic.
I wouldn't say wide open. Our receivers are pretty bad and usually end up covering themselves with their poor routes.

We have guy a lot of guys open. Or at least we did last week. And we couldn’t make the throws. Without watching again, I’m not sure about today, my guess is we couldn’t protect well enough.

Look at this one from last week:

Allen was clearly wide open on one 3rd down late in the 2nd half that I could clearly see from field from the TV view. 2 tried to force it instead to a tougher target that failed

Reactions: frostonthegrass
ADVERTISEMENT