ADVERTISEMENT

Why are people predicting doom with minnisota?

This would be a very big win for Frost. And would hurt Fleck’s rebuild at Minnesota. They have big lines and some skill. There QB struggles to pass so I’d say the key is to contain their run game and stuff them on 3rd down and longs. Hope we can win the field position battle too... I just have not seen our O’s ability to sustain long 80-85 yard drives.
Tanner Morgan struggles to pass? You must be watching another team.

This would be a very big win for Frost. And would hurt Fleck’s rebuild at Minnesota. They have big lines and some skill. There QB struggles to pass so I’d say the key is to contain their run game and stuff them on 3rd down and longs. Hope we can win the field position battle too... I just have not seen our O’s ability to sustain long 80-85 yard drives.

Huh? Morgan is literally, stat wise with regards to passing yards per completion in the mix with Hurts and Tua. Of course he’s not THAT level, but to say he can’t pass is beyond ludicrous.

Reactions: opie22
South Dakota State scores 21, Fresno State scores 35, Georgia Southern scores 32, Purdue Scores 31, and Illinois scores 17...

And it’ll be difficult for Nebraska to score more than 14 points? Wow...
Your post makes complete sense. You would expect that we'd be able to do better or at least match the offense of SDSU, Georgia So, Purdue, and Illinois but something is off with our team this year....

-We can't snap a ball consistently.
-Our inside run game has been completely ineffective.
-The pass game is lack luster because every pass is near the line of scrimmage.
-We don't seem to know how to throw a downfield pass!!!
-Our WRs apparently struggle at running the right route.
-We are only able to throw to JD Spielman (who is injured) or Wandale Robinson.
-We are so prone to turnovers that we have to call extremely conservative plays which lead to consistent 3 and outs.
-Our extremely talented QB seems too nervous to throw WRs open and is also hesitant to tuck and run.
-Our extremely talented QB is injured.
-We don't have a confident Field Goal kicker to finish drives.

I think we are more talented then Minnesota and I really like our staff. I think we have tools to put up big time points and should be able to score at will on teams like Minnesota. Maybe I am overreacting but it seems like there are too many strange issues holding us back this season.

Starting DB hurt
Starting kicker hurt
Starting QB hurt
Top WR hurt
Top RB in the doghouse
Starting C with snap issues
Coach who calls plays as if afraid to lose
Can’t run between tackles
Can’t pass downfield
Special teams stink

I'll list a few reasons to be apprehensive about playing Minnesota this weekend:

1. At best, we're going to be starting a QB who is less than 100% and has already had numerous struggles throughout the year. Otherwise, we're starting a back-up QB who hasn't had significant playing time in his career. Oh, and the top playmaker in our already weak passing game looks to be out as well.

2. We have one of the worst kicking games in the country and when you're not good enough to blow people out, you can't leave points on the field whether it be a field goal or an extra point.

3. Our offensive line simply isn't very good. I'm not sure what we can realistically expect to change at this point in the season.

4. We're 107th in turnover margin and 58th in penalties. When a team struggles to cover for other deficiencies they press and make mistakes.

Given all of these challenges, I think it's going to be difficult to score more than 14 points. Say what you want about Minnesota's strength of schedule, but they haven't beaten themselves. A conservative, low-risk gameplan should be enough to beat Nebraska this week.
A long post of negativity but despite all kicking woes we scored 10 offensive points vs a 1-3 northwestern team...terrible right? Well, a top 15 ranked wisc also scored 10 offensive points vs that same defense.
Minny has had an easy schedule and won some of those easy games in OT. 3 point win vs georgia southern..one score win vs south dakota st? Also, We kicked this teams ass last yr. 53 points...and now we can only score 14?smh..who are some of you husker fans on this damn board who do zero research. Did you know they were down at home to georgia southern and scored the go ahead score with 20 sec left? That they turned the ball over twice. Georgia southern didnt play a perfect game either..they turned it over 3 times. Easy to scrutinize our team and glorify others.

Either our D players are football dumb, or they are poorly coached. Our D players are more physically talented than Wiscy's.

I don't agree. We haven't played the same schedule. You can't throw statistics into a vacuum and come to a cogent conclusion.

That's why they play the games.

I looked at who they played and the only thing that stands out to me is they blew out someone we played close. is there something more than this?

Again, it’s more about how we play. Our O blows, our special teams stink, and the D is good at times, but without any help from the O or special teams, they will not be enough.

Again, it’s more about how we play. Our O blows, our special teams stink, and the D is good at times, but without any help from the O or special teams, they will not be enough.

I've actually watched Minnesota play football this season. I think we'll be okay, if we don't turn the ball over a bunch. JMO.

I don't think they'll be able to run the ball, I think we'll hit their quarterback alot, and I think we'll be able to run the ball.

Think of Iowa... only slower. Let's see what happens.

I've actually watched Minnesota play football this season. I think we'll be okay, if we don't turn the ball over a bunch. JMO.

I don't think they'll be able to run the ball, I think we'll hit their quarterback alot, and I think we'll be able to run the ball.

Think of Iowa... only slower. Let's see what happens.
I was thinking more like Illinois with NFL WR’s.

Huh? Morgan is literally, stat wise with regards to passing yards per completion in the mix with Hurts and Tua. Of course he’s not THAT level, but to say he can’t pass is beyond ludicrous.

Oh Ok, I forgot he threw a pick 6 and completed half his passes against Illinois. My bad! The competition has been fierce for him too... similar to Hurts and Tua?

Minnesota hasn't played anyone, but is thought to be playing pretty good football. They played Papa Smurfs team in Minny, ran the ball well, and kept Corbin pretty much in check. NU spotted Illinois 21 on the road via turnovers, let Corbin pop a big run, but out yarded ILL 674-299 (compared to the Gophers 487-248 vs ILL).
The Gophers are favored as the home team. Don't know their health status, but NU is pretty banged up on O. Would be a nice win to get, especially if we do it with a back up QB.

They didn't keep Corbin in check. Illinois did. Outside of the one busted play against us we did better against Corbin than Minnesota did.

Agaisnt us:
Corbin had 1 big run for 66 yards against us on the first play of the game.

Aside from that he ran it 19 more times and gained a total of 68 yards averaging about 3.5 ypc.

Against Minnesota:
Corbin ran for 68 yards and averaged 4.9 ypc. But he only got 14 carries.

A good coach gives a back averaging 4.9 YPC more than 14 touches. Lovie Smith is not a good coach though so of course he had the backup QB throw 30 times instead.

They didn't keep Corbin in check. Illinois did. Outside of the one busted play against us we did better against Corbin than Minnesota did.

Agaisnt us:

Aside from that he ran it 19 more times and gained a total of 68 yards averaging about 3.5 ypc.

Against Minnesota:

A good coach gives a back averaging 4.9 YPC more than 14 touches. Lovie Smith is not a good coach though so of course he had the backup QB throw 30 times instead.

Speaking of that run, why is Alex Davis still starting?

Reactions: scarletred

Agaisnt us:

Against Minnesota:

What was Corbin’s longest run against MN? If he got a 15-20 yard run the rest of the game MN held him in check. Just don’t think it’s a fair comparison if we get to drop his long.

But if his longest run was 8 yards, then your post carries more weight.

As a pretty big rap fan AND Fast and Furious fan...I would argue that no one is beyond Ludicrous. That guy is first in everything he does. Maybe keep the discussion on the topic, which is the game this weekend and the players on the teams.

Thanks and welcome!

Reactions: mpbrown27
Take away all the points we gave Illinois, the score would have been about the same. I think it will be a good close game. I'm taking the Scarlett for the win

Our offense gave Illinois 14 points and our Coach gave them 3 by trying to ice the kicker right before halftime (he missed first attempt, made second). D pitched a shutout essentially.

That said, I expect a close game in crappy weather conditions with the slight edge to the Gophers being at home.

Our offense gave Illinois 14 points and our Coach gave them 3 by trying to ice the kicker right before halftime (he missed first attempt, made second). D pitched a shutout essentially.

That said, I expect a close game in crappy weather conditions with the slight edge to the Gophers being at home.

Yeah, and if my Aunt had a package she would be my uncle.

Oh Ok, I forgot he threw a pick 6 and completed half his passes against Illinois. My bad! The competition has been fierce for him too... similar to Hurts and Tua?
Our WR's had 7 drops against Illinois due to the rain, otherwise Tanner would have gone 16-17 instead of 9-17.

But even despite that, he is still completing over 70% of his passes, has thrown 13 TD's to 3 INT's and is averaging over 250 YPG and is 4th in the country in passer rating behind Hurts, Tua and Burrow.

And Tua so far has played against New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Duke, a 2-3 South Carolina and a 2-3 Ole Miss. Hurts has played against Kansas, South Dakota, Houston, 1-5 UCLA and TTU. Not exactly murderers row either.

Last edited:
Reactions: opie22
He was responding to someone saying if you take away Nebraska's turnovers against Illinois, the score would be similar to the Minnesota-Illinois score. His point was that you can't have it both ways and if you also do the same for Minnesota, the score would still be much better than the final Nebraska-Illinois score without Nebraska's turnovers. So either way if you take out the turnovers or not, the Minnesota score would look much better.

He was responding to someone saying if you take away Nebraska's turnovers against Illinois, the score would be similar to the Minnesota-Illinois score. His point was that you can't have it both ways and if you also do the same for Minnesota, the score would still be much better than the final Nebraska-Illinois score without Nebraska's turnovers. So either way if you take out the turnovers or not, the Minnesota score would look much better.

Look, no means no. I was not being flirty and playful, I was not playing hard to get. Please respect my choice.

Reactions: bigboxes
Our WR's had 7 drops against Illinois due to the rain, otherwise Tanner would have gone 16-17 instead of 9-17.

But even despite that, he is still completing over 70% of his passes, has thrown 13 TD's to 3 INT's and is averaging over 250 YPG and is 4th in the country in passer rating behind Hurts, Tua and Burrow.

And Tua so far has played against New Mexico State, Southern Miss, Duke, a 2-3 South Carolina and a 2-3 Ole Miss. Hurts has played against Kansas, South Dakota, Houston, 1-5 UCLA and TTU. Not exactly murderers row either.
So the issue isn’t tanner, it’s your receivers... 7 drops? I don’t care if they were wearing ice on their hands, that’s a lot of drops for receivers!

South Dakota State scores 21, Fresno State scores 35, Georgia Southern scores 32, Purdue Scores 31, and Illinois scores 17...

And it’ll be difficult for Nebraska to score more than 14 points? Wow...
yes

In case you haven't noticed , we are not an offensive juggernaut. How many drives have we had that are 3 and out.

On top of that we are running so many conservative , not to shoot yourself in the foot , plays we cant e our of our own way. It's like we are neutered on offense .

Reactions: bshirt73
yes

In case you haven't noticed , we are not an offensive juggernaut. How many drives have we had that are 3 and out.

On top of that we are running so many conservative , not to shoot yourself in the foot , plays we cant e our of our own way. It's like we are neutered on offense .
I get that the last 2 weeks we scored 7 and 13, respectively. But those were against GOOD defenses. The first 4 weeks we scored 35, 31, 44 and 42...

Is Minnesota a GOOD defense? Sure doesn’t look like it when you look at the amount of scoring from a lot of lesser opponents.

So no, I respectfully disagree. We won’t have any difficulty scoring 14 points. This is Minnesota, not the Steelers.

ADVERTISEMENT