ADVERTISEMENT

Why a 7 year contract?

There were multiple news stories that mentioned it. Tommy Amstrong was one of them. There were multiple defensive players as well. Asking for a link for something like that is bullsh##. The truth comes out. So are you his kid or his wife or just another one of his golf and drinking buddies.
It seems to me that if multiple news outlets covered it, it would have easily been found by Googling it. I did find a link to an article from 12/7/07 about Pelini's upcoming announcement regarding his staff....but nothing on former Husker players having pictures of their former coach. I even Googled "Tommy Armstrong has picture of Bo Pelini in locker"...and nothing.

Either you're full of it, or you think that some hack blog or poster on a blog counts as a news report.

Reactions: skintight
Yep, Frost was a no-brainer hire at the time (National Coach of the Year, Hometown Hero).

Matt Campbell is a better coach and would have been a better hire. But the fan base would have been livid if we hired him over Frost.

Matt Campbell would have to go undefeated and win the NC his first year for fans to be happy with him over Frost at that time.

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Ucfmikes
What bothers me is being out coached or not prepared. That seems to be a trend. Opponent has better athletes, fine but this and many others feels different. Not sure what to think right now.

It seems to me that if multiple news outlets covered it, it would have easily been found by Googling it. I did find a link to an article from 12/7/07 about Pelini's upcoming announcement regarding his staff....but nothing on former Husker players having pictures of their former coach. I even Googled "Tommy Armstrong has picture of Bo Pelini in locker"...and nothing.

Either you're full of it, or you think that some hack blog or poster on a blog counts as a news report.
Go back to the Iowa board. IF you had been here Riley's first year, you would have seen the pictures of it posted on this board. Troll.

Go back to the Iowa board. IF you had been here Riley's first year, you would have seen the pictures of it posted on this board. Troll.
So....another poster that can only refute a point by calling people "trolls", and telling them to go away...also, the old "I don't have any proof....I just know it's true" argument.

BTW--I'm not an Iowa guy.

Thoughts?
Because Frost wanted to make sure he was given enough time. ( I believe it was Frost no Moos who insisted on the 7 yr contract, and that he could bring all his coaches) Not sure he thought he would need that much time. It also was meant to give calm to the fan base that he and the university are in it for the long term. However contracts really mean jack s%^$, if Frost ends up getting with another losing season or 2 I fear he will be sent packing just like any other HC. long before the 7 yr contract. I said from the start he needs to be give at the very min 5 years no matter the record. My hope is 5 years will come and go and there will be no question if he should be here or not.

This will take 7 years. Ohio State and tonight are harsh reminders of how far away we are.
There is zero reason it should take 7 years. Now if you are talking to win a NC I agree. To get to the point of consistently beating teams like MN and Iowa, no. To compete for the West no, For a BIG10 championship, no. Once Frost is able to get another year or 2 of S&C and to clear out most of Riley players there should be no reason this shouldn't take off. That is if Frost is the coach we all hope he is.

Reactions: bshirt73
My mind keeps going back over to the thought we are a year and a half into a rebuild and we have people already thinking about getting rid of Frost.

Again this is a rebuild and we have so many who have zero patience for that rebuild. Once most got through the fluff and kool-aid, we have seen our glaring holes. Some of those holes are at positions that can’t be fixed easily very quickly, namely offensive line.

I think by year 4 things should be coming together much better. We would be talking all Frost recruits and recruits developed under just this staff. It may be year 5 or 6 when we become really good though.

You go back and see such coaches like Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez where it basically took until year 4 before they really took off program wise.

Sure those two inherited horrible programs but I think if you go back and look at the end of Riley’s regime, things were actually becoming very bad. So no Frost may not of taken over program that had been in despair as long as those two but it wasn’t a good situation at all.

So in reality that 7-year contract makes sense on multiple levels.

If it takes 7 years to somewhat turn around a program in this day and age, you have a pretty piss-poor coach.

Not necessarily, just take a look at our schedule during '21, '22. Those will be Frost's year 4 and 5 I believe and we'll have to have a really good team just to win 8-9 games. I've spoken with a former Husker who played in the NFL and he said 5-6 years is an expedited prediction to build an elite program therefore 7-8 years is more realistic. I'll take his word since he's been in the trenches in college.

Reactions: huskerssalts
If it takes 7 years to somewhat turn around a program in this day and age, you have a pretty piss-poor coach.

maybe with most schedules in college football. But go look at the Huskers 2021 and 2022. Even good to great teams would have trouble going 8-10 wins, let alone a team that’s rebuilding and will be playing lots of young players.

Thoughts?
To deal with exactly the type of whining, misinformed, spoiled fringe part of the Nebraska football fan base that we are seeing in full bloom right now during the early stages of the rebuilding process. Grandstanding Dirk the duffus from the Omaha World Herald not being the least of the issues that were inevitably going to be faced as a challenge in this process.

Reactions: 831mob and Top_Gun_
There is zero reason it should take 7 years. Now if you are talking to win a NC I agree. To get to the point of consistently beating teams like MN and Iowa, no. To compete for the West no, For a BIG10 championship, no. Once Frost is able to get another year or 2 of S&C and to clear out most of Riley players there should be no reason this shouldn't take off. That is if Frost is the coach we all hope he is.

Very good & fair post sir. Makes good sense.....

But I betcha HCSF is now 100% fully aware that the Big10 is a totally different animal. Building Uncle Milt grades of linemen might take awhile though....I have no idea how long that will take. Of course, I sure hope for him & us he can somehow get on the road with it sooner than later.

So....another poster that can only refute a point by calling people "trolls", and telling them to go away...also, the old "I don't have any proof....I just know it's true" argument.

BTW--I'm not an Iowa guy.
It was discussed at length on this board and sports talk radio. IF you were a Husker fan and paying attention at all you would have known about it. The old "show me the link" line is a bunch of crap and you know it. Not every bit of information is worthy of being stored in writing in perpetuity. As far as calling somebody a troll goes, all one has to do is look at your posting history. If the shoe fits wear it chump.

It was discussed at length on this board and sports talk radio. IF you were a Husker fan and paying attention at all you would have known about it. The old "show me the link" line is a bunch of crap and you know it. Not every bit of information is worthy of being stored in writing in perpetuity. As far as calling somebody a troll goes, all one has to do is look at your posting history. If the shoe fits wear it chump.
Your last sentence hit the idiot, er nail, on the head. However, he's stated that he's been following Husker football since junior high, so he's got that going for him.Laughing

Yep, Frost was a no-brainer hire at the time (National Coach of the Year, Hometown Hero).

Matt Campbell is a better coach and would have been a better hire. But the fan base would have been livid if we hired him over Frost.
Plus ISU ad was very smart. HUGE buyout

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT