ADVERTISEMENT

Who's better? Bobby D or Chins?

Who is better

• Bobby D

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Chins

Votes: 51 87.9%

• Total voters
Chins defense is better. Also it is new era of college football with so many advantages for the offense so numbers are skewed from comparison years ago when games were regularly decided 17-14 or 24-20. Now days scores 38-31 or 42-35.
Also look at Bo’s defense this weekend against the pass at LSU ( with stud athletes) - Miss ST set passing record.
we will be fine with chins - just go play ball
BS, many teams are still able to play great defense and hold teams to few points. Btw most of LSU's stud athletes already left.

interesting to be reminded of that or how bo was regressing - for a guru.
chinander needs to create a upward trend, here.
another 20 spots up the rankings would be helpful.
Needs to be a lot more than that.

I voted for Chin but I really have no idea. I do not have a long enough of a track record for either. I do think the loss of Elliot was a big blow for Diaco. Diaco was a bit flakey.

I'd like to see how people rank of all the DC guys. I think this is the order in which they were at NU...
Mcbride
Bohl
B Pelini
Coz
M. Pelini
Papuchis
Banker
Diaco
Chins

I voted for Chin but I really have no idea. I do not have a long enough of a track record for either. I do think the loss of Elliot was a big blow for Diaco. Diaco was a bit flakey.

I'd like to see how people rank of all the DC guys. I think this is the order in which they were at NU...
Mcbride
Bohl
B Pelini
Coz
M. Pelini
Papuchis
Banker
Diaco
Chins

McBride
B. Pelini (as an actual DC)
Bohl
Carl Pelini (assume this is the other Pelini you listed)
Papuchis
Cosgrove
Banker
Chinander
Diaco

Diaco had a mediocre record heading to NU, his defenses were rarely good at forcing turnovers or generating sacks which are things that I measure a D’s success by, along with points allowed.

Reactions: oldjar07
Just to add to the dialog: Diaco hailed Josh Kalu as possibly the best safety in the nation (before season started). And I fundamentally disagree with his prevent, bend/don’t break philosophy. Add the comments about “no reasonable reason...” and I think Diaco’s 116th ranked defense might have been closer to his ceiling.
It’ll be interesting though to see how he fares at Purdue.
Chins has not impressed me, but I’ve also seen a lot of “player errors” where you can clearly see the scheme didn’t necessarily fail as much as the execution. That gives me more hope as he has time to really develop the roster.
Now, this year and beyond, he needs to prove he belongs.

*side note: Austin referenced Jaimes as having potential to be best OT in the country. Not a fan of the comment, but I have more faith in his coaching ability based on OL improvement throughout season and recruiting.

Diaco was once the National Assistant Coach of the year and had two top 5 defenses in the nation, including the #1 defense in the country.
He was a one time a great DC. Seems to me it doesn’t matter who the DC is at Nebraska anymore, they are getting scored on by everyone.

Just like your mom.

Reactions: HBK4life
McBride
B. Pelini (as an actual DC)
Bohl
Carl Pelini (assume this is the other Pelini you listed)
Papuchis
Cosgrove
Banker
Chinander
Diaco

Diaco had a mediocre record heading to NU, his defenses were rarely good at forcing turnovers or generating sacks which are things that I measure a D’s success by, along with points allowed.

Monte Kiffen #1..End of story

Bobby D's Diacofense:

PPG: 36.4
YPG: 436.2

Eric "Take it on the Chin" Chinander
2018-2019

PPG: 30.0
YPG: 411.5

**UN Defense stats did improve from 2018 to 2019, but some is attributable from defeating MSU 9-6 in a sloppy snow bowl. But that remains an excellent win though especially in EL.
Also, Chins does benefit from a much better Offense from Frost who is able to keep the ball away from the opposing teams.

So.... Who's better?

What's the over/Under in Lincoln? 100?

When Bob Diaco took over at DC, he took over a Top 31 ranked Husker defense (stats wise) from the year before and absolutely TANKED our defense and gave us the worst defense in the BIG 10 stats wise from top to bottom.

When Chin got here, he took over an absolute train wreck for a defense and roster that completely gave up on their coaching staff. So what he did, what he pulled off after that mess, was actually pretty good and he’s improved the Husker defense every year he’s been here.

So being real with you, coming to our board and asking our opinions, you are going to hear how bad Diaco is as a DC. Even last year his defense stat wise was horrible. I don’t know what your thinking here, I know your a Purdue homer and all but Diaco is not an elite DC. His defenses are known to give up a ton of yardage per game.

Louisiana Techs overall defense was ranked 10th in C-USA in total yards allowed. Giving up almost 400 yards of offense per game. That’s not exactly good.

Last edited:
When Bob Diaco took over at DC, he took over a Top 31 ranked defense (stats wise) from the year before and absolutely TANKED our defense and gave us the worst defense in the BIG 10 stats wise from top to bottom.

When Chin got here, he took over an absolute train wreck for a defense and roster that completely gave up on their coaching staff. So what he did, what he pulled off after that mess, was actually pretty good and he’s improved the Husker defense everyyear he’s been here.

So being real with you, coming to our board and asking our opinions, you are going to hear how bad Diaco is as a DC. Even last year his defense stat wise was horrible. I don’t know what your thinking here, I know your a Purdue homer and all but Diaco is not an elite DC. His defenses are known to give up a ton of yardage per game.

Louisiana Techs overall defense was ranked 10th in C-USA in total yards allowed. Giving up almost 400 yards of offense per game. That’s not exactly good.
Not saying Diaco is good or bad, but this is a very interesting thread. Excited to see what Diaco does at Purdue. He has some pieces to work with. Solid Dline. But for real, La Tech had the #53 defense last. If Purdue had that this year, I'd take it. Lol just glad to be playing tbh

Not saying Diaco is good or bad, but this is a very interesting thread. Excited to see what Diaco does at Purdue. He has some pieces to work with. Solid Dline. But for real, La Tech had the #53 defense last. If Purdue had that this year, I'd take it. Lol just glad to be playing tbh
As far as I can see, he inherited a good DE/NG. Outside that, Purdue has some question marks.

Last edited:
As far as I can see, he inherited a good DE/NG. Outside that, Purdue has some question marks.
He's got the best DE in the big ten. A solid NG. A 5th year senior DT. DE/MLB that had 7.5 sacks last year. And a secondary that started 3 freshman last year and is bringing in a few guys. Starting nickel isn't a true freshman now. Redshirted a 4 star Saftey due to injury. I'm not saying the defense will be outstanding, but there are some nice pieces.

agree. but id take an improvement.
We have as much defensive talent as we're going to get. If we can't get at least a top 30 defense with that, I don't see how we're going to improve any further with Chinander.

He's got the best DE in the big ten. A solid NG. A 5th year senior DT. DE/MLB that had 7.5 sacks last year. And a secondary that started 3 freshman last year and is bringing in a few guys. Starting nickel isn't a true freshman now. Redshirted a 4 star Saftey due to injury. I'm not saying the defense will be outstanding, but there are some nice pieces.

Wow bro and some call me a homer but you take the cake by far. For one, id never go as far as claiming someone being the best in the conference when dude hasn’t even played his sophomore year yet. I’m just saying....the Buckeyes, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and teams like that have some absolutely studs on their Dline. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Buckeyes have another Chase Young type player waiting for his turn. I’m actually sure they do as a matter of fact. Hell, the Huskers have a guy in Ty Robinson that could surprise some. I do agree, dudes a good one, agreed but anointing him the best in the BIG 10 is a bit of stretch at this point in time.

Two: you guys also lost one of your teams leader tacklers. Purdue has a couple decent Dlinemen but no worries, Diacos 3-4 Defense will no doubt help damper that down some. Hopefully you guys got a bunch of stud LBs and OLBs, in Diacos defense, your going to need them.

3: You guys have a couple decent DBs but nothing special. They were young but they aren’t anything like the Buckeyes, PSU, Wisconsin or any of those guys have. Hell, I’d rather have D Bootle, Cam Taylor-Britt and D Williams then your guys DBs. Just being honest.

I do actually hope Purdue starts kicking some butt and becoming a contender in the BIG 10 west. Hopefully you guys don’t continue to pull off 1-11, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 and 6-7 records while occasionally upsetting teams like OSU. You know???

Last edited:
Wow bro and some call me a homer but you take the cake by far. For one, id never go as far as claiming someone being the best in the conference when dude hasn’t even played his sophomore year yet. I’m just saying....the Buckeyes, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and teams like that have some absolutely studs on their Dline. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Buckeyes have another Chase Young type player waiting for his turn. I’m actually sure they do as a matter of fact. Hell, the Huskers have a guy in Ty Robinson that could surprise some. I do agree, dudes a good one, agreed but anointing him the best in the BIG 10 is a bit of stretch at this point in time.

Two: you guys also lost one of your teams leader tacklers. Purdue has a couple decent Dlinemen but no worries, Diacos 3-4 Defense will no doubt help damper that down some. Hopefully you guys got a bunch of stud LBs and OLBs, in Diacos defense, your going to need them.

3: You guys have a couple decent DBs but nothing special. They were young but they aren’t anything like the Buckeyes, PSU, Wisconsin or any of those guys have. Hell, I’d rather have D Bootle, Cam Taylor-Britt and D Williams then your guys DBs. Just being honest.

I do actually hope Purdue starts kicking some butt and becoming a contender in the BIG 10 west. Hopefully you guys don’t continue to pull off 1-11, 2-10, 3-9, 4-8 and 6-7 records while occasionally upsetting teams like OSU. You know???
Outside of George, you took everything I said and twisted it. OSU might have a good DE, but George is right up there with the best of them. I don't think it's a stretch. Name a better DE that's proven in the big ten. Lorenzo Neal? He was a projected 1st round pick before his ACL injury. Sat last year out. Saying the Dline could be pretty good isn't a stretch. I never said the LB'ers or secondary would be good. I think the secondary has the potential to be good, not great as the year goes on because of how young it was last year paired with some transfers/juco guys coming in. LB is the biggest ? Idk how good they can be. Like I said, we are moving a DE back to LB, but he is a downhill, go get the QB type of guy. We will see what Diaco's multiple fronted defense can do, but to act like he has nothing to work with is funny. He's not inheriting a good defense, but it has some pieces and potential pieces.

Lastly, no reason to expect Purdue to win 1-3 games under Brohm and every reason to expect last year's 4 wins to be the bottom. I'm saying 5-4 this year. Offense seems to be ahead of the defenses so far and Purdues offense should be dang good. Defense, as mentioned, I'd be tickled with the 53rd overall ranking this year.

The excitement is going to wear out really fast so brace yourself. But hey, I’m sure most moms will approve of him while on the recruiting trail 😉

The excitement is going to wear out really fast so brace yourself. But hey, I’m sure most moms will approve of him while on the recruiting trail 😉
Haha as long as we don't have receivers running free over the middle on RPO's or can make an honest effort to stop the run, it will be an upgrade. I'm not expecting big things. Just be better than bad. Haha otherwise, Purdue is going to have to score 50 a game.

Reactions: CatColumbia
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT