ADVERTISEMENT

Who would have thought that Frost would have been a bust?

You could do a lot worse than Mike Riley. Regardless of what you think of him he is a good coach.

Probably not the right fit for the Big Ten (too many years on the west coast), but if Riley was still in Lincoln he would certainly have gotten more wins out of the team.

Riley is also a highly respected guy amongst coaching circles. Nebraska lost a lot of credibility for their treatment of him.
He's a good person, don't think many would disagree with that. But he has a very long career as a head coach and that W-L record speaks for itself.

You could do a lot worse than Mike Riley. Regardless of what you think of him he is a good coach.

but if Riley was still in Lincoln he would certainly have gotten more wins out of the team.

Nebraska lost a lot of credibility for their treatment of him.

Riley would have never won more than a game in 2018 for what it’s worth..

If Nebraska lost any credibility it would have been during the time when Pederson wanted to fire a 9/10 win coach after the 2003 season..

And you said first Riley wasn’t a fit coaching in the Big 10 conference...

Riley would have never won more than a game in 2018 for what it’s worth..

If Nebraska lost any credibility it would have been during the time when Pederson wanted to fire a 9/10 win coach after the 2003 season..

And you said first Riley wasn’t a fit coaching in the Big 10 conference...

Solich was fired because he impregnated a cheerleader.

• Angry
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Frost's career has been a lot of luck and good timing. He was handed the keys to Chip Kelly's offense in its prime with Marcus Mariota at QB. Then he took over a UCF program that was only a couple years removed from a BCS Bowl and had been instilled with discipline from George O'Leary, and had tons of athletes on the roster.

This program needed a guy like Matt Campbell. Frost was the wrong fit at the wrong time.
Remember, Matt Campbell’s best year is 9 wins... he would have been fired by now.... he is a barely above .600 coach with 10 years of data to prove that is the best he will be... don’t know if Frost will be successful, but to say anyone knows a savior in waiting out there is kidding themselves... only Frost or another alum will be given time to grow... if Frost is fired after 2021 it is a crap shoot as to who we get and will probably be more of the same record.. might as well stick with him and see what happens... Kalen DeBoer might be the only one with that might fit the bill on record....

Story in The Athletic about Josh Heupel contains this quote from Chuck Long, who was passed over for the Iowa job in favor of Kirk "Second Place is Awesome!" Ferentz:

“I don’t know why guys take those jobs,” Long said. “I really don’t. People would always ask me when I was coaching if I wanted to be the head coach at Iowa. I said, ‘No.’ People would look at me all surprised, but I’d tell them, ‘Everybody at Iowa likes me now. If I’m the coach, they aren’t gonna like me as much.’

“If you coach at your alma mater and it doesn’t work out, I think there’s bitterness for the rest of your life about it. I never wanted to have that bitterness with Iowa.”

T
he context is Heupel having been fired as OC at Zero U., then landing on his feet.

You hit the nail on the head and darn near every true Nebraska fan was wanting wanting him to lead us back to prominence..
Which unfortunately makes this Frost tenure (for now) even worse. He had 100% support from every single person who could help him and 100% support from fans.

Reactions: bshirt73
Most all if us "liked" the hire at the time. Just like I "liked" my 🐕 til he bit me in the ass now he is NO longer my dog......

The OP originally compared the Frost O to the Chins D and how it appears to have flipped.

So, is it because the O is so bad it makes the D look good or is it that D is so good it makes the O look terrible or is that neither is great but we have to find some redeeming characteristic?

If you would have told me the defense would be ahead of the offense after year three, I would have been extremely worried as an opposing fan. I don’t see any sign that the offense is going to catch up. Then, 2022 is a restart for the defense in a sense so it will take a step back. Will the offense take a step forward?
na

Nobody knows what is going on in Lincoln, if they claim they do....it’s BS. I will always be hopeful, however I am more convinced by the day Frost will fail. Kudos to Chins, doing a pretty good job so far

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT