ADVERTISEMENT

Who will we finish our class with?

HuskerNorm

Walk On
Jan 28, 2004
I believe there is some attrition that we don't know about and I also think we might have an academic casualty or two (ward?). With that said I think we take at least 6 more recruits. I think we finish with the following:

Elijah Blades (most unlikely) DB- 5.9 4*
Bryan Thompson WR- 5.9 4*
Jamire Calvin WR- 5.8 4*
Damion Daniels DT- 5.7 3*
Michael Onyemaobi DB- 5.7 3*
Kurt Rafdal TE- 5.6 3*

This list isn't far fetched. This means we miss out on Kamren Curl, Greg Johnson, Joseph Lewis, Deomoddore Lenoir, Randal Grimes, CJ Verdell and others. I also think if we don't get Rafdal then we get Nick Robinson who is a 5.8 4*. It really is amazing how many talented guys we still have a shot at this late in the process. Need to close.

What say you?

Edit: For perspective if we got the above listed we would have 2050 recruiting points which would have landed us at 19th in the 2015 and 2016 team rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
Elijah Blades (most unlikely) DB- 5.9 4* - VERY unlikely.

Bryan Thompson WR- 5.9 4* - Possible but unlikely.

Jamire Calvin WR- 5.8 4* - Extremely likely, in fact I wouldn't be shocked if we got him anytime between today and Sunday.

Damion Daniels DT- 5.7 3* - Likely and MAN we need him.

Michael Onyemaobi DB- 5.7 3* - Likely! And he'd be our sole DB recruit this cycle, which is fine.

Kurt Rafdal TE- 5.6 3* - I'd say 50/50, but if we don't land him, go for Robinson HARD. Both are great prospects.

I don't think we get Lewis and Johnson, but I think we have a shot an Lenoir and Grimes. We only need 5-6 more to fill out the class, so given the above I am not sure who else we'd be in on.

Blades and Thompson are both visiting this weekend and I believe it will be the last visit for both. That's why I think we have a decent shot.

Blades and Thompson are both visiting this weekend and I believe it will be the last visit for both. That's why I think we have a decent shot.

Oh, I didn't realize that. That definitely puts us in the running more so than I thought, then.

I've got a pretty good feeling about flipping Blades. Much better chance than Lenoir or Johnson, IMO.

I have absolutely no insider knowledge but I feel like we get one of the four (in order of likelihood) of Blades, Johnson, Lenoir, or Curl.

Lenoir and Blades both have a visit scheduled this weekend, according to Rivals, so you never know.

I have absolutely no insider knowledge but I feel like we get one of the four (in order of likelihood) of Blades, Johnson, Lenoir, or Curl.

Lenoir and Blades both have a visit scheduled this weekend, according to Rivals, so you never know.

Curl is announcing today and 247 has him trending hard towards Arkansas.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
I have zero idea who we get and who we don't. None. Zippo. Been burned too often by all the speculation this year. Sometimes the speculation is right. Sometimes it is wrong. So as an outsider I have zero ability to know or even guess.

I am excited by who we are still in on and may get. But this show is getting too stressful for me. Lol.

Roll the credits!

Onyemaobi I think is ours. I think we get Nick Robinson and Jamire Calvin. I go back and forth on Daniels, but I think he'll be ours.

After that its something of a crap shoot, with Radfal being most likely on the top of that pile. Blades for corners.

I know it's kind of a cop out, but I think we will land:

Daniels
Oyemaobi
Radfal or Robinson
Calvin

Then I think we will make room for any of the following:

Lewis
Johnson
Blades
Lenoir
Grimes
Verdell
Curl

Not sure about these WR, (fall back plans?):

Thompson
Hawkins

So that puts us at a class of between 21-28. Obviously, we won't get all and get to 28, but all those guys are too good to turn away. I don't know about Hawkins and Thompson, they could be out of luck once Calvin commits or we might accept a verbal from one late, after missing on others.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
Onyemaobi I think is ours. I think we get Nick Robinson and Jamire Calvin. I go back and forth on Daniels, but I think he'll be ours.

After that its something of a crap shoot, with Radfal being most likely on the top of that pile. Blades for corners.

Would we take both Robinson and Rafdal? I haven't heard either way, I just assumed we would only take 1.

Would we take both Robinson and Rafdal? I haven't heard either way, I just assumed we would only take 1.

Since we already have Austin Allen and have been recruiting TE fairly well, my guess is we only take 1 of those two.

I think if we take Calvin then we take at least 5 receivers because it's clear to me we want a big body guy. Maybe they do consider Robinson as a possibility there in a hybrid role.

I will add graduate transfer Folorunso Fatukasi (Nose Tackle from U Conn) to this list as speculation.

But where are the AJ Bush's, Willis', Kings' of the class? (/s)

This staff is so much better organized in finishing the recruiting cycle than the previous staff.

The Dream Finish:

Blades
Lenoir
Johnson
Lewis
Calvin
Daniels
Slade
Rafdal

Possible finish with a little luck

Curl
Onyemaobi
Blades
Johnson
Calvin
Lewis
Daniels
Rafdal or Robinson

How I think we finish

Blades
Calvin
Onyemaobi
Rafdal
Daniels

I think it depends greatly on how these dice roll. If somehow we clean sweep a bunch of these recruits (Johnson, Lewis, Blades, Thompson, Calvin) etc, I think Radfal could be left out in favor of Robinson.

However, there are many possible combinations of recruits where I could see us taking Robinson and Radfal, because Robinson could be a big WR if we strike out on guys like Lewis and Thompson.

I think Robinson could play WR, so it is possible.

Since we already have Austin Allen and have been recruiting TE fairly well, my guess is we only take 1 of those two.

Reactions: headcard
But where are the AJ Bush's, Willis', Kings' of the class? (/s)

This staff is so much better organized in finishing the recruiting cycle than the previous staff.

The Pelini shuffle. Only topped by the Truffle shuffle.

Elijah Blades (most unlikely) DB- 5.9 4* - VERY unlikely.

Bryan Thompson WR- 5.9 4* - Possible but unlikely.

Jamire Calvin WR- 5.8 4* - Extremely likely, in fact I wouldn't be shocked if we got him anytime between today and Sunday.

Damion Daniels DT- 5.7 3* - Likely and MAN we need him.

Michael Onyemaobi DB- 5.7 3* - Likely! And he'd be our sole DB recruit this cycle, which is fine.

Kurt Rafdal TE- 5.6 3* - I'd say 50/50, but if we don't land him, go for Robinson HARD. Both are great prospects.

I don't think we get Lewis and Johnson, but I think we have a shot an Lenoir and Grimes. We only need 5-6 more to fill out the class, so given the above I am not sure who else we'd be in on.
ELIJAH - BLADES™‏@savageszniv Jan 17

Nebraska in home visit with Coach Riley and @coachD_GBR #gbr
1f937-1f3fe-200d-2642-fe0f.png
1f33d.png
pic.twitter.com/e4Y7Jkd7bo

C2bd3eZUoAAtheL.jpg

Mike Schaefer flipped his CB for NU today.

I just find it very hard to believe that we only get one DB. I would be in absolute shock if D. Williams only gets Onyemaobi

Looks like we just extended an offer to a DB Williams had committed at Arizona. Tony Wallace. I know nothing about him. I just saw one of the reporters tweet about it.

Looks like we just extended an offer to a DB Williams had committed at Arizona. Tony Wallace. I know nothing about him. I just saw one of the reporters tweet about it.

I believe the kid plays safety although I'd have to look it up.

We were really only after one or two safeties, Curl and Cotton. Earlier when it looked like we were leaders for Graham and Johnson etc etc, I was kind of wondering who in the heck would play safety (since all our "big name" guys are CB's).

My guess is we end up with Onye, perhaps Blades, and DW 3* Safety.

From the linked articles

"Arizona commit Tony Wallace landed a Nebraska offer on Thursday afternoon. The defensive back is seeing his profile really blow up since his commitment to the Wildcats in December.

Wallace now holds offers from several power five schools, including recent offers from Oregon and USC. Donté Williams dropped by to see the defender last week and the Huskers could be receiving a visit the final weekend of the month, as he's also considering a trip to Oregon."

He hasn't been on the job long, and we also don't need more than 1 or 2 this class.
Here is what I think about "Don't need more than 1 or 2". I think it is the biggest excuse in the book.

There is 6 College football positions that would be okay with signing 1 or 2

Place Kicker
Punter
Quarterback
Running Back
Tight End
Fullback

You need 3-5 EVERY year at the following positions or you end up having weak spots (Holes) on your team down the road. It is exactly what happened to Pelini...

Defensive Back (Safety, Corner back) - 3-5
Offensive Line (Tackle, Guard, Center) - 3-5
Defensive Line (Dedensive Tackle, Defensive End) - 3-5
Wide Receiver (X, Slot, Z) - 3-5
Linebacker (Cat, Dog, Will, Mike) - 3-5

You never only need 1-2 DB's sorry don't buy it!

Here is what I think about "Don't need more than 1 or 2". I think it is the biggest excuse in the book.

Place Kicker
Punter
Quarterback
Running Back
Tight End
Fullback

You need 3-5 EVERY year at the following positions or you end up having weak spots (Holes) on your team down the road. It is exactly what happened to Pelini...

We took like 5 last year, and only lost Gerry this year. The coaches have said the whole year that 1-2 was the target number (likely 1 safety and 1 corner).

Part of the reason they are going after so many guys is:

1. Most of the guys are high end corners (Holmes, Lenoir, Graham, Powell, Johnson, Blades, etc). You don't usually bat a high average here. We look like we might get Blades. If we get Blades and Johnson (plus Onye/Wallace to play Safety), we're doing exceptional here.

2. We have a little fudge factor. If by some miracle 2-3 Top 100 type CB's want N, you can take more than the "Need" number of 1-2 (see #1 example).

Last edited:
Ideally you probably want three in this class but considering that we have taken 5, 4, and 5, in the last three classes getting two doesn't really put a hole in our roster.

I'll be interested to see what the break down is next year. We'll have a couple guys leaving, but also a small class overall. I have a hard time believing that we'll take 4 or 5 DB's in a class of 16 folks unless we have that many folks leaving.

Place Kicker
Punter
Quarterback
Running Back
Tight End
Fullback

Linebacker (Cat, Dog, Will, Mike) - 3-5

So much depends on what you have and what you lose.

Nebraska will have 12 DBs on scholarship in 2017. And will lose 3 seniors after 2017.

My matrix calls for 8 CB and 8 S. We have 6 and 6 returning. There is room for 4 if you can find what you want but I wouldn't take a player just to take a player for the sake of numbers.

We need to get to where we take quality over quantity.

So much depends on what you have and what you lose.

Nebraska will have 12 DBs on scholarship in 2017. And will lose 3 seniors after 2017.

My matrix calls for 8 CB and 8 S. We have 6 and 6 returning. There is room for 4 if you can find what you want but I wouldn't take a player just to take a player for the sake of numbers.

We need to get to where we take quality over quantity.

Hmmm I've got 4 graduating next year. Jones, Kalu, Boaz Joseph, and Kieron Williams. Unless we are already guessing on a Joseph defection. I'd be surprised, if we only take 2 this year, if we don't take 4 next year.

Edit: I've also got 13 2017 DBs so I'm guessing you aren't counting Joseph in your numbers.

Hmmm I've got 4 graduating next year. Jones, Kalu, Boaz Joseph, and Kieron Williams. Unless we are already guessing on a Joseph defection. I'd be surprised, if we only take 2 this year, if we don't take 4 next year.

Good point, I had considered Joseph a defection. I was thinking 3 losses next year.

In any case, I'm not at all worried about DW bringing in guy at the DB position. We already have 1 top shelf guy next year. I guess let him go get 3 more!

I thought I saw somewhere he has a pretty good relationship with next year's top safety..

You also have to account for redshirting. Of the 5 DBs taken in the last class, 2 played and 3 redshirted.

Eligibility wise Domann and Jackson are the same (sophomores) as Lee and Anderson. While Dismuke, Butler and Bootle will all be RS freshmen.

Williams is in on some very good 2018 kids already, I think he will have a great class next year (already off to a great start). No reason to reach this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT