ADVERTISEMENT

Who Remembers the 1999 Game at Kansas?

Bossross

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 26, 2002
Memphis
I became a huge Husker fan early on in middle school. I've written about it before. Even though I grew up at a large school in Dallas, we modeled our entire program after Nebraska. Offense, defense, off-season drills, etc. 12 months a year we were immersed in Husker culture. I got to meet Turner Gill and other coaches as they came through the DFW area recruiting our school. I was the QB of the team, and my coaches gave me #15 in honor of Frazier. My tight end chose Notre Dame over Nebraska in 1997.
Our offensive coaching staff traveled to Lincoln every spring to talk option football with TO, Solich, Gill, etc. They began running one of our plays, which was a QB iso. Scott Frost would score on it a few years later in the National Championship game against UT.
After being a fan for years, my first game came in 1999 at Kansas. I went to school at Abilene Christian University, and I had a friend who lived in Kansas. I sat in the Kansas student section.
And I expected a blow out.
If you remember, they were beating us 9-0 at halftime. Then, Newcombe came to life (scored on a reception and a punt return), and we pulled it out 24-17.
That was my first live Husker game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.