ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Richard Torres ?

There were more than a few people touting Adrian after watching him as a freshman as being a guy who could end up leaving early for the NFL. Then the bad snaps, depleted WR corp, crappy O line play and shoulder injuries hit his sophomore year. I think Adrian as a freshman had all of the physical tools you wanted in an NFL QB. Torres might as well. Who knows about Smothers. Recruiting QBs is a crap shoot because so much depends on what happens between their ears.
Martinez had the bad shoulder coming into college. He missed his entire senior year. In essence, he was damaged goods coming in. Hopefully he would recover. To this day, we don't know how much it lingers.

Schools like Nebraska and Tennessee need a difference maker, so they go all in for a guy like him. Other teams don't fart in his general direction.

Reactions: scarletred
So either Scott Frost developed QBs or he didn't. What I can see is that he was responsible for the development of Marcus Mariota and partially responsible for the development of McKenzie Milton. Partially because he was the HC and had a QB coach in the nutty professor. Many on here are praising him for his development of QB, I just don't see it.
We have seen little development from anyone on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe a lineman or two? A TE perhaps. I haven't seen a single QB or RB that was developed.

I take that back.. Devine Ozigbo had one good year. He is the only one on offense that I have seen with an improved year of this staff's coaching.

Has anyone at WR gotten better?

Wandale was the same from his first year to his transfer year.

Defensively, I think there are lots of improvements, but I don't see much on offense.

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
We have seen little development from anyone on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe a lineman or two? A TE perhaps. I haven't seen a single QB or RB that was developed.

I take that back.. Devine Ozigbo had one good year. He is the only one on offense that I have seen with an improved year of this staff's coaching.

Has anyone at WR gotten better?

Wandale was the same from his first year to his transfer year.

Defensively, I think there are lots of improvements, but I don't see much on offense.
Jergens, while perhaps at a pace bested even by the slowest of snails, has seemed to have gotten better at the very most basic aspect of playing his position (snapping the ball).

Martinez had the bad shoulder coming into college. He missed his entire senior year. In essence, he was damaged goods coming in. Hopefully he would recover. To this day, we don't know how much it lingers.

Schools like Nebraska and Tennessee need a difference maker, so they go all in for a guy like him. Other teams don't fart in his general direction.
Wasn't the original injury to his non-throwing shoulder?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I think you are moving the goalposts a bit Dingle. We went from Alabama not having a QB worth a crap, to well none of them will win NFL playoff games. When one of them wins a playoff game, it will be well they can't win a super bowl. ha ha ha
I don't think any of the guys from Bama including the one that will go in the first round this year are franchise NFL QBs. Miami has figured it out already and has been trying to move on from Tua. Granted the injury may still be affecting him. Hurts would need ALOT more talent around him to ever win anything. There's been at least one crappy QB win a Super Bowl because of the talent around him I guess so there is that.

There were more than a few people touting Adrian after watching him as a freshman as being a guy who could end up leaving early for the NFL. Then the bad snaps, depleted WR corp, crappy O line play and shoulder injuries hit his sophomore year. I think Adrian as a freshman had all of the physical tools you wanted in an NFL QB. Torres might as well. Who knows about Smothers. Recruiting QBs is a crap shoot because so much depends on what happens between their ears.

We have heard all the reasons ad nauseum. The shoulder injury didn't occur until very late in the season. I said the high snaps throw everything off but none of this explains his inability to see the field, throw a receiver open, have a quick release, etc. I could argue as well that he had a 1,000 yard rusher and a stand out receiver to go along with an above average line that first year. So here we are in year three and we have not come close to matching those players and their contributions. That is a huge problem and yes, it also contributes to Adrian's lack of production but not all of it.

I don't think any of the guys from Bama including the one that will go in the first round this year are franchise NFL QBs. Miami has figured it out already and has been trying to move on from Tua. Granted the injury may still be affecting him. Hurts would need ALOT more talent around him to ever win anything. There's been at least one crappy QB win a Super Bowl because of the talent around him I guess so there is that.

Was the discussion "franchise NFL QB's"? There are very few of those. I would settle for just getting one drafted, that would be a change and a sign something is improving.

Again, I am only looking for Martinez or any Nebraska QB to show improvement at the college level. I don't care what they do in the NFL.

Tua, Hurts, and Jones all improved and developed at Alabama. They were all better players when they left Tuskaloosa than when they arrived there. I do not see that with Martinez, in fact, I see the opposite.

Again, I am only looking for Martinez or any Nebraska QB to show improvement at the college level. I don't care what they do in the NFL.

Tua, Hurts, and Jones all improved and developed at Alabama. They were all better players when they left Tuskaloosa than when they arrived there. I do not see that with Martinez, in fact, I see the opposite.
IMO, DCs figured out pretty quickly that the only guy they had to game plan around for Nebraska was Martinez. Once we lost Devine and Stanley we (and Adrian) were screwed. I agree that Adrian hasn't shown improvement but is much of that because of factors outside of his control? Snaps over his head. Poor O line play at times. O line penalties. Stanley graduating. Questionable speed and talent at WR. Injuries etc. SOME of it at least is due to factors he can't do anything about.

I am hopeful that we're going to have some WRs and O linemen step up this year. IF that happens and we see the same problems well then "there's yer sign". It will be interesting to see this fall where this deal heads. I don't think Frost is going to have a very long leash with Adrian if Smothers shows any ability at all in scrimmages this year.

I would be okay taking Torres if they took 2 Qb's in this class.

Of the whose left group. I like Duffy the best and then Morris but I am not sure if they are options for us. Sounds like we have a good shot at Harrell? I think Jackson is very intriguing too.

We have heard all the reasons ad nauseum. The shoulder injury didn't occur until very late in the season. I said the high snaps throw everything off but none of this explains his inability to see the field, throw a receiver open, have a quick release, etc. I could argue as well that he had a 1,000 yard rusher and a stand out receiver to go along with an above average line that first year. So here we are in year three and we have not come close to matching those players and their contributions. That is a huge problem and yes, it also contributes to Adrian's lack of production but not all of it.
Frost and Davison both said that Martinez's injury to his throwing shoulder first occurred in fall camp. He played dinged up and then exacerbated it during the season. He battled his shoulder all year this most recent year. He'll probably never be 100%. Recruiting him was a bit of a gamble considering his injury in high school but the physical tools for a team in NU's situation were too good to pass up. Smothers on the other hand got hurt after committing to NU I believe. It's a risk you take. Tom used to honor scholarships to commits if they got injured their senior year of high school no matter how bad the injury. It was the right thing to do.

A RB acquaintance who had a full ride offered by Tom had a horrible leg fracture midway through his senior year. NU helped arrange surgery and set up rehab for him. I watched that guy with his shriveled up leg trying to rebuild it. This was a guy who was about 6-2/220 and ran the hundred meters on the track team. Stud. He got healthy enough to play basketball with a limp during districts. Then a few weeks later he was in a bad car wreck and messed up that leg again. NU was still there for him. Kind of sad for him. He had NFL level physical talent.

I would be okay taking Torres if they took 2 Qb's in this class.

Of the whose left group. I like Duffy the best and then Morris but I am not sure if they are options for us. Sounds like we have a good shot at Harrell? I think Jackson is very intriguing too.

Morris is very much in play.

Frost and Davison both said that Martinez's injury to his throwing shoulder first occurred in fall camp. He played dinged up and then exacerbated it during the season. He battled his shoulder all year this most recent year. He'll probably never be 100%. Recruiting him was a bit of a gamble considering his injury in high school but the physical tools for a team in NU's situation were too good to pass up. Smothers on the other hand got hurt after committing to NU I believe. It's a risk you take. Tom used to honor scholarships to commits if they got injured their senior year of high school no matter how bad the injury. It was the right thing to do.

A RB acquaintance who had a full ride offered by Tom had a horrible leg fracture midway through his senior year. NU helped arrange surgery and set up rehab for him. I watched that guy with his shriveled up leg trying to rebuild it. This was a guy who was about 6-2/220 and ran the hundred meters on the track team. Stud. He got healthy enough to play basketball with a limp during districts. Then a few weeks later he was in a bad car wreck and messed up that leg again. NU was still there for him. Kind of sad for him. He had NFL level physical talent.

Link to where Frost said that? I heard the exact opposite, that the injury came late against Purdue. Every FB player has an injury of some kind, most don't keep you out of the lineup. If he couldn't throw then what does that tell us about development of back ups?

No, just watch the stinking games. It is pretty clear what the issue is.

Utah also just offered Torres too..

and I have a feeling his recruitment is just getting started. 24/7 gave him a 87 rating. In the end, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he ends up with a 5.7 to 5.8 rating via Rivals. I doubt he ever gets a Top 250 rating or anything like that but then again, you never know? 🤷🏽

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

I'm guessing 5A would be the 2nd largest H.S. classification in Texas?

Good size and arm. More of a pro-style guy that is mobile, which is fine. Plenty to work with, looks legit to me.
He plays in likely the worst 5A district in San Antoni if not Texas.

No doubt. Just tough to make a read on his potential for an e-scrub such as myself when he plays for a shit team in a shit district.

well, the fact he’s getting D1 football offers should say it all, genius. He’s got a cannon for an arm, stands 6’6 and weighs 210 pounds and apparently some D1 coaches love what they seen from him so far. But hey, keep trying to hate on the kid for playing high school football in Texas. SMH

Last edited:
well, the fact he’s getting D1 football offers should say it all, genius. He’s got a cannon for an arm and apparently some coaches love what they seen from him so far. But please, keep trying to hate on the kid for playing high school football in Texas. SMH
Hate on the kid? You're reading into this too much. His team is not good. There is likely not another D1 player in his entire district. What am I supposed to deduce from tape in which he's running around 15 yards behind his midget o-line throwing half blind sling shots downfield to slow receivers bumped off their routes?

Reactions: drubendall
Hate on the kid? You're reading into this too much. His team is not good. There is likely not another D1 player in his entire district. What am I supposed to deduce from tape in which he's running around 15 yards behind his midget o-line throwing half blind sling shots downfield to slow receivers bumped off their routes?

“Hate on the kid? You're reading into this too much.”

Am I? This is some of what you said “he plays for a shit team in a shit district.” Your not exactly showing support either...

And correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 5A division 1 (the one Torres plays in) the second strongest in Texas after 6A? Either way, it makes no difference. The man is gaining D1 scholarship offers and it’s only going to get better from here on out and he still has to play his senior year.

Last edited:
“Hate on the kid? You're reading into this too much.”

Am I? This is some of what you said “he plays for a shit team in a shit district.” Your not exactly showing support either...

And correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 5A division 1 (the one Torres plays in) the second strongest in Texas after 6A? Either way, it makes no difference. The man is gaining D1 scholarship offers and it’s only going to get better from here on out and he still has to play his senior year.
"Am I? This is some of what you said “he plays for a shit team in a shit district.” Your not exactly showing support either..." Not support, not hate. Reality.

"And correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 5A division 1 (the one Torres plays in) the second strongest in Texas after 6A? Either way, it makes no difference. The man is gaining D1 scholarship offers and it’s only going to get better from here on out and he still has to play his senior year."
His 5A district couldn't compete against some class 3A districts.

"Am I? This is some of what you said “he plays for a shit team in a shit district.” Your not exactly showing support either..." Not support, not hate. Reality.

"And correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t 5A division 1 (the one Torres plays in) the second strongest in Texas after 6A? Either way, it makes no difference. The man is gaining D1 scholarship offers and it’s only going to get better from here on out and he still has to play his senior year."
His 5A district couldn't compete against some class 3A districts.
Ok if you say so....lmfao.

no offense, we don’t need to hear your opinion. Because now your are just guessing. Some 3A districts are better then Texas’s 2nd toughest division 5A-1? Now you are taking shots at the dark.

A for effort though....👍🏼

A member since 2018 with 7 post's..... looks like most of them in this thread
Came here for nostalgia as I felt that the old rivalry was robbed from me and all sooners/cornhuskers. I made a trip to Lincoln and was treated better than any other local. The threat to cancel the game got all up in my feels.

Then I proceeded to find a thread on Bookie and a thread on a kid from South San (I'm an SA native). Peeked my interest.

Now i'm here for the hot takes. Keep slinging 'em.

Ok if you say so....lmfao.

no offense, we don’t need to hear your opinion. Because now your are just guessing. Some 3A districts arebetter then Texas’s 2nd toughest division 5A-1? Now you are taking shots at the dark.
I don't know what to tell you boss. This district has never produced a team that could compete with the top half of 4A squads in the decades of SAHSFB i've watched. Let's throw that out though - what do your eyes tell you?

I saw his highlight film. I like his size, arm strength and mobility. What I don’t like is how he runs 10 to 15 yards backwards before throwing almost every time. It’s as if he’s not challenged and he’s trying to challenge himself. We’re also the first big time school to offer which I’m not thrilled about that.

the only highlites for husker games he saw were the taylor and adrian martinez tapes, and that's what they were doing most of the time--the new and improved o-line should change that

I don't know what to tell you boss. This district has never produced a team that could compete with the top half of 4A squads in the decades of SAHSFB i've watched. Let's throw that out though - what do your eyes tell you?

again, you are still just guessing. And why? Just because you want to knock Richard Torres? Did he screw your husband or what?

My eyes tell me the man has talent when he’s getting D1 offers. It’s as simple as that. No offense but I’ll take the word or opinions of Power 5 coaches over your opinion any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

nonetheless, I’m moving along. Post again and get that last word in. GBR

again, you are still just guessing. And why? Just because you want to knock Richard Torres? Did he screw your husband or what?

My eyes tell me the man has talent when he’s getting D1 offers. It’s as simple as that. No offense but I’ll take the word or opinions of Power 5 coaches over your opinion any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

nonetheless, I’m moving along. Post again and get that last word in. GBR
So this escalated. I was just posting to explain my position, the one in which you couldn't understand. I now see you're heavily invested in NU getting Richard Torres in Lincoln. I hope you get your wish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT