ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Richard Torres ?

great more board police. Please oh so wise one with no football opinion. What can be discussed on a football board?
Oh, did I offend you sir! I have thoughts. I just try to not overestimate my intelligence and influence. My life tends to be positive, and not dwell on minutiae!

And throw in some sarcasm. I could give a shit about qb recruiting today. Will wait to see how it develops.

Oh, did I offend you sir! I have thoughts. I just try to not overestimate my intelligence and influence. My life tends to be positive, and not dwell on minutiae!

Well sir, based on your posts just today, I would say posting at all would be overestimating your intelligence.
Sorry I don’t get offended. I just find the ridiculousness of your post worthy of a call out. Now back to the pay site with you. You are wasting your $10 a month subscription as you communicate with us peasants

• Haha
Reactions: donahues17
Well sir, based on your posts just today, I would say posting at all would be overestimating your intelligence.
Sorry I don’t get offended. I just find the ridiculousness of your post worthy of a call out. Now back to the pay site with you. You are wasting your $10 a month subscription as you communicate with us peasants
I have been in leadership my entire life. Chaired meetings, met with governors, senators. Always found it interesting those that wanted to talk from the back of the room, or that waited to talk in the hallways.

I have been in leadership my entire life. Chaired meetings, met with governors, senators. Always found it interesting those that wanted to talk from the back of the room, or that waited to talk in the hallways.

So like, you were president of the 2 year old room at the local day care? Tommy Pickles sort of leadership.

Dude you are a freaking hero and inspiration to us all. I will lead a movement on the Rivals Husker Board to officially give you a ceremonial key to board. Additionally, March 6 will forever be know as @spencerhfd day. There will be parades, we will show videos of all the meetings you had with senators and governors. We will get Chuckie, Phil and Lil, and Angelica to tell us how your leadership, in the 2 year old class, provided them with the confidence they needed to get past those terrible twos.

So like, you were president of the 2 year old room at the local day care? Tommy Pickles sort of leadership.

Dude you are a freaking hero and inspiration to us all. I will lead a movement on the Rivals Husker Board to officially give you a ceremonial key to board. Additionally, March 6 will forever be know as @spencerhfd day. There will be parades, we will show videos of all the meetings you had with senators and governors. We will get Chuckie, Phil and Lil, and Angelica to tell us how your leadership, in the 2 year old class, provided them with the confidence they needed to get past those terrible twos.
This is a wicked burn. I needed a good laugh. Loved that show when i was a kid.

I saw his highlight film. I like his size, arm strength and mobility. What I don’t like is how he runs 10 to 15 yards backwards before throwing almost every time. It’s as if he’s not challenged and he’s trying to challenge himself. We’re also the first big time school to offer which I’m not thrilled about that.

Looks like his offensive line is a lot like ours. As soon as he gets the ball the defense is on him. Maybe that is why we offered, we want a QB who is use to not having an offensive line.

Looks like his offensive line is a lot like ours. As soon as he gets the ball the defense is on him. Maybe that is why we offered, we want a QB who is use to not having an offensive line.
He made a pretty good play out of a bad snap too!

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Frosty is squandering the Mariota and Milton connection similar to how Pelini could not capitalize on Suh. Pathetic.
He landed 2 highly recruited kids in his first and having just signed Smothers killed us this past cycle IMO. With Martinez having at least one more year, Smothers and Luke (on signing day) many guys are going to look at that and think they'll have to sit for 3-4 years. If a top kid is going to go to a team with a losing record, they want to play right away. If they are going to sit they might as well sit behind guys who might leave early for the NFL.

He landed 2 highly recruited kids in his first and having just signed Smothers killed us this past cycle IMO. With Martinez having at least one more year, Smothers and Luke (on signing day) many guys are going to look at that and think they'll have to sit for 3-4 years. If a top kid is going to go to a team with a losing record, they want to play right away. If they are going to sit they might as well sit behind guys who might leave early for the NFL.
The fallacy of that argument is that when smothers signed Luke was only a year older and Martinez still head two years of eligibility. Guys who believe they have the talent to get to the NFL aren’t worried about competition. They don’t worry about that until they get beat out and then they’ll transfer. Schools that put quarterbacks in the NFL don’t have a problem recruiting quarterbacks

The fallacy of that argument is that when smothers signed Luke was only a year older and Martinez still head two years of eligibility. Guys who believe they have the talent to get to the NFL aren’t worried about competition. They don’t worry about that until they get beat out and then they’ll transfer. Schools that put quarterbacks in the NFL don’t have a problem recruiting quarterbacks
I think your point about schools who have a history of putting QBs in the NFL is more important than not being afraid of competition. There' are multiple QBs in the league from no name programs and in fact Bama's QBs have been disappointing at best. So for a kid who knows he'll likely have to sit for a couple of years at most D-1 programs, why in the hell would you want to go to a program who has sucked the past several years and sit? Right now Nebraska football is a tough sell to a QB. That is obvious. IF on the other hand you could show the kid the young O linemen we have and the WRs AND just about guarantee that HE would start soon if not right away, he might pick a school like NU over another school with a much better QB room. What's missing right now in our QB recruiting given our W/L record is the ability or willingness to pledge playing time to a top ranked QB. There's our conundrum.

I think your point about schools who have a history of putting QBs in the NFL is more important than not being afraid of competition. There' are multiple QBs in the league from no name programs and in fact Bama's QBs have been disappointing at best. So for a kid who knows he'll likely have to sit for a couple of years at most D-1 programs, why in the hell would you want to go to a program who has sucked the past several years and sit? Right now Nebraska football is a tough sell to a QB. That is obvious. IF on the other hand you could show the kid the young O linemen we have and the WRs AND just about guarantee that HE would start soon if not right away, he might pick a school like NU over another school with a much better QB room. What's missing right now in our QB recruiting given our W/L record is the ability or willingness to pledge playing time to a top ranked QB. There's our conundrum.
Are you making the assumption that the QBs that went to small schools were afraid of competition at big schools so they went to smaller? Not sure what the success of Bama QBs have to do with it. There have been QBs that thought they were NFL material and went to Bama, then they transferred. Hurts and Tua are 2 that have made it to NFL starters, so there is that. If a program has sucked for a few years, some may consider that an opportunity. Apparently there is not a top level QB there.

I have beating drum of getting players in the NFL all along. Heck, can we point to any QB actually being developed?

Before everyone jumps all over this and brings up Oregon, there are holes in that argument. And since Frost also coached WRs during part of the time, he should be judged on their development as well, right?

I have beating drum of getting players in the NFL all along. Heck, can we point to any QB actually being developed?

Before everyone jumps all over this and brings up Oregon, there are holes in that argument. And since Frost also coached WRs during part of the time, he should be judged on their development as well, right?

Those Oregon offenses were some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Trying to use that as a case against Scott Frost is certainly..........interesting.

Reactions: saltsdogg
Those Oregon offenses were some of the most prolific offenses in college football history. Trying to use that as a case against Scott Frost is certainly..........interesting.

Ok how about this. Why was Oregon in a position to have to take a 1 year transfer from Eastern Washington after Mariota left for the NFL? Why was there no one ready to take over? The following QBs were on the roster in 2014 and 2015

Jeff Lockie
Morgan Mahalak UA all american
Taylor Alie
Ty Griffin - ended up flipping to CB

Ok how about this. Why was Oregon in a position to have to take a 1 year transfer from Eastern Washington after Mariota left for the NFL? Why was there no one ready to take over? The following QBs were on the roster in 2014 and 2015

Jeff Lockie
Taylor Alie

I’d say they did a great job of going and getting a QB and getting him to perform at a very high level and I wish we would do the same. Is it wrong to go get a transfer QB? Does that make someone a bad QB coach? Was Lincoln Riley wrong for getting Mayfield, Hurts and Murray? Does that show he can’t develop QB’s?

I saw his highlight film. I like his size, arm strength and mobility. What I don’t like is how he runs 10 to 15 yards backwards before throwing almost every time. It’s as if he’s not challenged and he’s trying to challenge himself. We’re also the first big time school to offer which I’m not thrilled about that.

Verduzco will coach him up.

Lol.

Jeff Lockie
Taylor Alie

You're trying too hard to make an argument.

Reactions: headcard

There were more than a few people touting Adrian after watching him as a freshman as being a guy who could end up leaving early for the NFL. Then the bad snaps, depleted WR corp, crappy O line play and shoulder injuries hit his sophomore year. I think Adrian as a freshman had all of the physical tools you wanted in an NFL QB. Torres might as well. Who knows about Smothers. Recruiting QBs is a crap shoot because so much depends on what happens between their ears.

Reactions: WHCSC
I’d say they did a great job of going and getting a QB and getting him to perform at a very high level and I wish we would do the same. Is it wrong to go get a transfer QB? Does that make someone a bad QB coach? Was Lincoln Riley wrong for getting Mayfield, Hurts and Murray? Does that show he can’t develop QB’s?

Well most of the discussion is about developing a QB, right? Getting a 1 year free agent isn't the same as developing.

Well most of the discussion is about developing a QB, right? Getting a 1 year free agent isn't the same as developing.
If you're signing a one year free agent, the odds are that he wasn't game video out there that was going to make him a high draft pick before he transferred. So even if it's only for one year, some development must happen to make the kid more successful than he was at his previous stop. Hurts IMO improved his passing quite a bit at OU. Could be wrong.

You're trying too hard to make an argument.

So either Scott Frost developed QBs or he didn't. What I can see is that he was responsible for the development of Marcus Mariota and partially responsible for the development of McKenzie Milton. Partially because he was the HC and had a QB coach in the nutty professor. Many on here are praising him for his development of QB, I just don't see it.

If you're signing a one year free agent, the odds are that he wasn't game video out there that was going to make him a high draft pick before he transferred. So even if it's only for one year, some development must happen to make the kid more successful than he was at his previous stop. Hurts IMO improved his passing quite a bit at OU. Could be wrong.

I am not sure Vernon Adams was better at Oregon than he was at Eastern Washington. We are talking about Frost and his QB development skills, not Lincoln Riley.

Jeff Lockie
Taylor Alie
Because recruiting QBs is a crap shoot IMO. Getting a transfer of a guy who already has demonstrated a high level of skill against college defenses is a big deal. That's why OU took Hurts. With all the talent Bama has and all of the guys they've put in the NFL, their QBs haven't been good when they got to the league. They virtually get their picks of top QBs coming out of high school. You don't have to be a great QB in college to be successful but the percentage of top high school QB recruits who turn out to be reasonably good is pretty small.

So either Scott Frost developed QBs or he didn't. What I can see is that he was responsible for the development of Marcus Mariota and partially responsible for the development of McKenzie Milton. Partially because he was the HC and had a QB coach in the nutty professor. Many on here are praising him for his development of QB, I just don't see it.

I think it's like being the president during an up or down economy. You get credit for it's failures or successes, while only barely steering it. That fool Verduzco isn't going to make anything better. I do think Frost is a good coach for QB's and receivers. And maybe as the leader. I liked his confidence or arrogance dependent on your point of view.

Because recruiting QBs is a crap shoot IMO. Getting a transfer of a guy who already has demonstrated a high level of skill against college defenses is a big deal. That's why OU took Hurts. With all the talent Bama has and all of the guys they've put in the NFL, their QBs haven't been good when they got to the league. They virtually get their picks of top QBs coming out of high school. You don't have to be a great QB in college to be successful but the percentage of top high school QB recruits who turn out to be reasonably good is pretty small.

Yet Hurts and Tua are starters in the NFL. Mack Jones is going to be a first round pick.

Alabama developed Tua and Hurts and developed Tua enough that he beat out the older player and sent him to Oklahoma. Until Kiffen/ Sarkisian the Alabama offense was predicated on the running backs. The QBs needed to be game managers and just not lose games. Different now and the last 3 starters will all be on NFL rosters in the fall.

I am not sure Vernon Adams was better at Oregon than he was at Eastern Washington. We are talking about Frost and his QB development skills, not Lincoln Riley.
I would agree that Frost and Mario being QB gurus might be oversold.. Adams was pretty much a finished product when he got to Oregon. IF I remember correctly didn't he have a fairly serious injury that he played through at Oregon? In any case, when a kid like Adams who has already had that much success lands in your lap, you might be able to tweak a few things but you're not going to be able to improve him that much. IMO, most highly successful QBs are born and not "developed". Yes they need to be handled correctly and have talent around them but man IMO a guy either has it or he doesn't to a large degree.

Yet Hurts and Tua are starters in the NFL. Mack Jones is going to be a first round pick.

Alabama developed Tua and Hurts and developed Tua enough that he beat out the older player and sent him to Oklahoma. Until Kiffen/ Sarkisian the Alabama offense was predicated on the running backs. The QBs needed to be game managers and just not lose games. Different now and the last 3 starters will all be on NFL rosters in the fall.
And none of them will likely win a playoff game. They will all have pedestrian NFL careers after playing on Championship college teams. I guess maybe one could say that Saban maxed out their talents but Bama changes assistants coaching those QBs like stucknks changes underwear.

I think it's like being the president during an up or down economy. You get credit for it's failures or successes, while only barely steering it. That fool Verduzco isn't going to make anything better. I do think Frost is a good coach for QB's and receivers. And maybe as the leader. I liked his confidence or arrogance dependent on your point of view.

Ok, as the head coach, I would agree but I was talking about when he was the Verduzco and not the president. He was the OC/ QB coach at Oregon at the time. He had at least 5 QBs come in after Mariota and I don't think any of them played any significant minutes, even after he left. Well except Adams who played just the one year.

I would say hype. How long will they last?

Joe Namath would fade back like this kid does. It buys you extra time, but you need a strong arm to make the longer throws.

And none of them will likely win a playoff game. They will all have pedestrian NFL careers after playing on Championship college teams. I guess maybe one could say that Saban maxed out their talents but Bama changes assistants coaching those QBs like stucknks changes underwear.

I think you are moving the goalposts a bit Dingle. We went from Alabama not having a QB worth a crap, to well none of them will win NFL playoff games. When one of them wins a playoff game, it will be well they can't win a super bowl. ha ha ha

Ok, as the head coach, I would agree but I was talking about when he was the Verduzco and not the president. He was the OC/ QB coach at Oregon at the time. He had at least 5 QBs come in after Mariota and I don't think any of them played any significant minutes, even after he left. Well except Adams who played just the one year.

I was replying as to the QB coach. Carry on. This is an argument without conclusion unless reached individually.

So you're a fan of the young man now?

He plays in a terrible district in the weakest 5A region in Texas. They lost in the second round of the state playoffs to a mediocre team out of Corpus Christi. Clearly not all of that is his fault. He has decent numbers and his film looks ok, I question the level of competition a little not all Texas 5A is the same.

None of which has to do with Joe Namath not dropping back 12-15 yards like this kid does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT