ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Richard Torres ?

....and why does this unrated QB from San Antonio hold an offer from NU as a 2022 recruit?
Anyone seen him play? He’s apparently blown the socks off of Harry Potter and the hometown school of UT-San Antonio.

GBR!

His WRs and TE are terrible, absolutely slow.

Anybody know his passing completion percent, interception and TD passes?

I saw this on another board. Some of it is in the OWH and saw it on 247 so should be accurate.
7 games: 1,149 passing yards for 18 TDs with 5 INTs,
276 rushing yards with 5 TDs

2020 District 14-5A Division I All-District: Southside sweeps MVP honors
SUPERLATIVES

Offensive MVP: Richard Torres | Southside | 6’5/195 | QB (Jr.)

Last edited:
Reactions: RedCap
that’s all you got? Good come back lol 😂🙄

I’m not trying to be an ass here, but right above your post we had a mini conversation about all that. I refuse to repeat it all over again. But I will copy and paste it for you, Just incase you missed.

“so, having one struggling QB and so far no other options takes away anything Scott Frost has done with his QBs over his coaching career? No matter how you spin it, he still coached and developed a Heisman and runner-up Heisman QB. Now, Let’s be real here, for ONCE. Adrain Martinez has been the best QB we have had since Frost has been with the Huskers. He’s had no better options (if so, I’m all ears) and he’s gave Noah V and Luke McCaffrey both shots at QB and neither one could unseat him or beat him out. But hey, spin away. SMH”

Edited: “Scott Frost was Marcus Mariota’s QB coach from 2013 to 2014 (his sophomore and Junior year, 2 years and during their National title run). The years before that (2009 to 2012) he was Oregon’s WR coach. Then he had one Year with Vernon Adam’s (who had a solid year). Then he over seen and helped two years of M Milton as QB (one year was his runner-up Heisman season when they went 13-0, beat 4 Top 25 teams and 1 Top 8 team”
So the question remains, "what has he done lately?" He hasn't produced a winning qb in Lincoln. Would you invest in the Scott Frost QB guru today?

Is it possible that, at this moment, it’s non-committable offer? I would assume he needs a hell of a senior year to have this offer still on the table in December.
GBR!
From the OWH article:
"NU quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco has previously told The World-Herald that any quarterback scholarship offer is immediately committable. Proof was NU’s 2021 quarterback signee, Kearney Catholic’s Heinrich Haarberg, who received an offer at the start of a week and had committed by the end of it."

1200 yards, 19 TDs and 4 INts in only 7 games. Also had like 270 yards and 5 TDs rushing.

Something I’d thought about recently is- in particularly for HS ball- dropped passes should be tracked along with completion %.
I guess it could be a little subjective, but I’d imagine plenty of QBs aren’t provided the luxury of having capable WRs who can catch the passes thrown to them.

It may contribute to some under the radar guys later finding success. More than stats, I’d be looking for QB’s that pass the eye test throwing.
Good stats do take out some of that leg work.

Something I’d thought about recently is- in particularly for HS ball- dropped passes should be tracked along with completion %.
I guess it could be a little subjective, but I’d imagine plenty of QBs aren’t provided the luxury of having capable WRs who can catch the passes thrown to them.

It may contribute to some under the radar guys later finding success. More than stats, I’d be looking for QB’s that pass the eye test throwing.
Then you'd have to remove the completions to great receivers that catch bad passes

Agree that dropped passes need to be taken into account. That said, I still haven't seen his completion percent unless I missed it.

Then you'd have to remove the completions to great receivers that catch bad passes
True, but I’m not sure if it’s all that common to have HS WRs making enough highlight real catches to mask QB issues. I would think the drops would be much more common.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Isn’t Haarberg a diamond in the rough too? We’re loading our qb room with these type of guys. Some turn out ok and many don’t. For an offense that depends so much on it’s quarterback, this is one position we have to own in recruiting.

Back to Torres, his film looks ok but why hasn’t Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor even offered?
Our starting QB was a top 100 recruit. Our backup QB was top 250.

Our starting QB was a top 100 recruit. Our backup QB was top 250.

Yes one was "top 100" 11th grader who tore his shoulder up so bad that he couldn't play his senior year.

The other one was QB on the best football team in the state of Alabama, but was more of a speedy athlete who everyone knew coming out of high school needed to be "developed" as a good passer.

So YES........PROJECTS!

Yes one was "top 100" 11th grader who tore his shoulder up so bad that he couldn't play his senior year.

The other one was QB on the best football team in the state of Alabama, but was more of a speedy athlete who everyone knew coming out of high school needed to be "developed" as a good passer.

So YES........PROJECTS!
I’ll give you Martinez... but if everyone knew Smothers was a project, why did EVERYONE offer him?

Quit trying to spout crap to fit your narrative.

So YES........PROJECTS!
how many polished HS seniors are ready to take over a program from day 1 with zero development?

like, 1 every 10 years?

they're all projects.

Maybe there should be an "accuracy" statistic that could be used to supplement the existing statistics that have been used for years? Accuracy = catchable ball (regardless of whether complete or incomplete).

I've thought the same thing with a lot of the golf statistics, as well. As an example, fairways hit is a common stat. But a tee shot 1 foot off the fairway in the first cut of rough is the same as one hit 20 yards off target into the trees.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I think Scott is recruiting the QB position differently at Nebraska than he did at prior schools.

When you look at who he has brought in, it's guys who have obvious athletic ability, but they may be a little raw around the edges.

I think Haarberg being a Nebraska kid, with nice measurable got him in the door, but when you look at McCaffrey, Smothers, Martinez, and now Torres, these guys all have very obvious athletic ability, some in different ways than others.

It actually sorta reminds me of Old Nebraska Football.

We used to have a mix of different types of guys, from Jammal Lords to Frazier, to Crouch, and Stuntz, the Steve Taylors, and Turner Gills.. all different skill sets, but pretty good athletic talents, and yes Scott Frost fit in with that category too.

I'm not saying Scott is doing it on purpose or maybe he is, I don't know, but I'm putting it out there that he is doing this position like it used to be done, and not the same way he may have recruited at Oregon or UCF.

Obviously there are things that need work on offense, and I'm still not sold on this type of scheme, but even the old successful Nebraska from Tom's era was built on guys that didn't really fit the pro style polished type of system.

Well I thought I could try a positive take on the athlete at QB thing.

I’ll give you Martinez... but if everyone knew Smothers was a project, why did EVERYONE offer him?

Quit trying to spout crap to fit your narrative.

Don't tell me what to do....who the fk are you?? I'm not these other klowns on here so remember you mean nothing to me!

If you never got the word on Smothers that's not my business and obviously means you don't have your ear anywhere NEAR the ground! Even the local yahoo's on the Nebraska fish wrap scene KNEW that Logan needed development as a passer.

An offer doesn't mean the guy can't play, he was a hell of a runner....better than both Martinez and McCaffrey. Doesn't mean I don't like Logan but facts are facts.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Smothers didn't play a single down last year even tho it was a FREE YEAR??? No he was no where near ready. FOH

Don't tell me what to do....who the fk are you?? I'm not these other klowns on here so remember you mean nothing to me!

If you never got the word on Smothers that's not my business and obviously means you don't have your ear anywhere NEAR the ground! Even the local yahoo's on the Nebraska fish wrap scene KNEW that Logan needed development as a passer.

An offer doesn't mean the guy can't play, he was a hell of a runner....better than both Martinez and McCaffrey. Doesn't mean I don't like Logan but facts are facts.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Smothers didn't play a single down last year even tho it was a FREE YEAR??? No he was no where near ready. FOH
Yep, I overshot... apologies. Different interpretation for project. My assumption was that you were digging on Smothers as a QB, when a lot of highly ranked schools reached out to him as a QB.

There aren’t many can’t miss, sure fire QBs in high school. We are recruiting highly ranked players. That’s all I was getting at.

Again, apologies.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Tommie Frazier and Turner Gill weren’t projects..
Sure they were. Frazier especially, was never a great thrower. Kid just happened to be a great gamer.

Gill wasn't a great passer either, but better than Frazier, and he was a super manager of the game.

Neither of those guys fit the NFL mold for QB's.

What you don't want, is a project between the ears.

Sure they were. Frazier especially, was never a great thrower. Kid just happened to be a great gamer.

Gill wasn't a great passer either, but better than Frazier, and he was a super manager of the game.

Neither of those guys fit the NFL mold for QB's.

What you don't want, is a project between the ears.

Turner Gill was a fine passer and held his own

What does making a NFL roster have to do with being recruited as a project in college 🥴

Whew, thank God you don't overreact much.

Reactions: bshirt73
Turner Gill was a fine passer and held his own

What does making a NFL roster have to do with being recruited as a project in college 🥴
The assumption is that a typical non-project QB would fit the mold as a Pro style QB. Everyone else who doesn't fit that mold, is some sort of project.. even a passing first QB.

Nebraska has never been in on those top QB's, the polished throwing QB's that go to many of the top programs. Those types of guys, never come to Nebraska. They are looking at the NFL and while Turner Gill was fine to throw 15 times a game, he was more of a master at distributing the ball and running the option.

The difference in guys that are really pro style QB's and what we have had, is night and day. The only guy to really sniff that level of passing ability was Zac Taylor under Callahan.

Settle down Francis.

Is Frost taking/offering these QBs because he really thinks they are good or going to be or because this is all he can get to look at Nebraska? Been a while back but Nebraska had offered several heralded QBs but none sniffed Nebraska.

If you were a stud QB coming out of HS and not necessarily a Husker fan, would you join this program in its current state?

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Is Frost taking/offering these QBs because he really thinks they are good or going to be or because this is all he can get to look at Nebraska? Been a while back but Nebraska had offered several heralded QBs but none sniffed Nebraska.

If you were a stud QB coming out of HS and not necessarily a Husker fan, would you join this program in its current state?
to whom are you posing these brain busting questions?

Reactions: headcard

He looks pretty good to me. Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a bunch of offers soon. Last year we were the first to offer Peter Costelli and he ended up with a ton of offers and a 4-star ranking.

Frosty is squandering the Mariota and Milton connection similar to how Pelini could not capitalize on Suh. Pathetic.

yes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT