ADVERTISEMENT

Who is Richard Torres ?

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
....and why does this unrated QB from San Antonio hold an offer from NU as a 2022 recruit?
Anyone seen him play? He’s apparently blown the socks off of Harry Potter and the hometown school of UT-San Antonio.

GBR!

I saw his highlight film. I like his size, arm strength and mobility. What I don’t like is how he runs 10 to 15 yards backwards before throwing almost every time. It’s as if he’s not challenged and he’s trying to challenge himself. We’re also the first big time school to offer which I’m not thrilled about that.

I saw his highlight film. I like his size, arm strength and mobility. What I don’t like is how he runs 10 to 15 yards backwards before throwing almost every time. It’s as if he’s not challenged and he’s trying to challenge himself. We’re also the first big time school to offer which I’m not thrilled about that.

you do remember the Huskers was Logan Smothers first big offer and he then later became a 4 star and had OSU trying to get him on campus to right?

you do remember the Huskers was Logan Smothers first big offer and then later became a 4 star and had OSU trying to get him on campus to right?

Isn’t Haarberg a diamond in the rough too? We’re loading our qb room with these type of guys. Some turn out ok and many don’t. For an offense that depends so much on it’s quarterback, this is one position we have to own in recruiting.

Back to Torres, his film looks ok but why hasn’t Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor even offered?

Isn’t Haarberg a diamond in the rough too? We’re loading our qb room with these type of guys. Some turn out ok and many don’t. For an offense that depends so much on it’s quarterback, this is one position we have to own in recruiting.

Back to Torres, his film looks ok but why hasn’t Texas Tech, TCU or Baylor even offered?

I know Baylor, Houston, Utah and Washington State are also showing him interest.

He was offered in May 2018 and signing day was dec 2109 - 18 months +

current offer is about 9 moths form signing day

Timing is somewhat irrelevant to me. Smothers was offered before his jr year, Torres offered after jr year. Smothers didn't really blow up until his senior year season started, he was still unranked by rivals to start senior year. He ended up #174 after senior year. Not saying that will happen to Torres, just saying that Smothers offer timing doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

He's elusive, for a big guy, but a D1 defense is going to be all over him.. there is potential, but another project.

Reactions: CatColumbia
I can definitely see the potential, but don’t think he’s the only QB you would take in a class.

So he’s ready to play behind our line....

So he’s ready to play behind our line....

yep, the same Oline that ranked 2nd (only behind OSU) in the BIG 10 and 28th in the country in rushing and ranked 3rd (behind OSU and Wisconsin) the year before. There has been some struggles, sure but I have feeling that Oline will take a collective step forward this next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73 and ADV1

Which one has turned out OKAY tho since this staff has been here tho??

And you're right.....we should OWN this position! The last position on the team where we should have to recruit "diamonds in the rough" or PROJECTS is QB....

yep, the same Oline that ranked 2nd (only behind OSU) in the BIG 10 and 28th in the country in rushing and ranked 3rd (behind OSU and Wisconsin) the year before. There has been some struggles, sure but I have feeling that Oline will take a collective step forward this next season.

And I believe the same thing has been said each year for the last three. Time to get it done on the LOS.

I'm guessing 5A would be the 2nd largest H.S. classification in Texas?

Good size and arm. More of a pro-style guy that is mobile, which is fine. Plenty to work with, looks legit to me.

This is correct, 5A is 2nd largest... that's the division where my sons school plays... 10X State Champs! (had to throw that in there)

As for SA Southside, we never saw them... looks like they did fairly well in their conference but didn't make it far in the playoffs... Later I'll probe around on the forums and see if I can find anything out about the guy... would be interesting to know how they found him

And I believe the same thing has been said each year for the last three. Time to get it done on the LOS.

And I’d have to say each year the Oline did make make improvements (even more so considering we had 2 freshmen and a sophomore playing all season (3 freshmen and a sophomore the last game)). But I agree, we have to keep getting better on the Oline. 💯

The jury is still out on him. We don't know if can play at this level. So far Harry and Scott like quick blinkers that can run with suspect arms. Winning formula.

“The jury is still out on him”

Well yeah, considering he was a true freshman last year. And I’d give Scott more credit then that considering he developed a Heisman winning QB (at Oregon) and runner up Heisman QB (at UCF).

Last edited:
“The jury is still out on him”

Well yeah, considering he was a true freshman last year. And I’d give Scott more credit then that considering he developed a Heisman winning QB (at Oregon) and runner up Heisman QB (at UCF).

so 3 years of “developing” Martinez doesn’t count?

as an OC/HC he has only started, I believe, 8 QBs. Those QBs are:

Mariota for 1 season
Vernon Adams for 2 seasons
Justin Holman for a game or 2
Nick Patty for a few games
McKenzie Milton for 1 1/2 seasons
Adrian Martinez for 3 seasons.
Noah Vedral - 3 seasons
Luke McCaffery for 2 seasons.

Is it possible that, at this moment, it’s non-committable offer? I would assume he needs a hell of a senior year to have this offer still on the table in December.
GBR!

so 3 years of “developing” Martinez doesn’t count?

as an OC/HC he has only started, I believe, 8 QBs. Those QBs are:

Mariota for 1 season
Vernon Adams for 2 seasons
Justin Holman for a game or 2
Nick Patty for a few games
McKenzie Milton for 1 1/2 seasons
Adrian Martinez for 3 seasons.
Noah Vedral - 3 seasons
Luke McCaffery for 2 seasons.

so, having one struggling QB and so far no other options takes away anything Scott Frost has done with his QBs over his coaching career? No matter how you spin it, he still coached and developed a Heisman and runner-up Heisman QB. Now, Let’s be real here, for ONCE. Adrain Martinez has been the best QB we have had since Frost has been with the Huskers. He’s had no better options (if so, I’m all ears) and he’s gave Noah V and Luke McCaffrey both shots at QB and neither one could unseat him or beat him out. But hey, spin away. SMH

Edited: Scott Frost was Marcus Mariota’s QB coach from 2013 to 2014 (his sophomore and Junior year, 2 years and during their National title run). The years before that (2009 to 2012) he was Oregon’s WR coach. Then he had one Year with Vernon Adam’s (who had a solid year). Then he over seen and helped two years of M Milton as QB (one year was his runner-up Heisman season when they went 13-0, beat 4 Top 25 teams and 1 Top 8 team).

Last edited:
So what has he done lately?

that’s all you got? Good come back lol 😂🙄

I’m not trying to be an ass here, but right above your post we had a mini conversation about all that. I refuse to repeat it all over again. But I will copy and paste it for you, Just incase you missed.

“so, having one struggling QB and so far no other options takes away anything Scott Frost has done with his QBs over his coaching career? No matter how you spin it, he still coached and developed a Heisman and runner-up Heisman QB. Now, Let’s be real here, for ONCE. Adrain Martinez has been the best QB we have had since Frost has been with the Huskers. He’s had no better options (if so, I’m all ears) and he’s gave Noah V and Luke McCaffrey both shots at QB and neither one could unseat him or beat him out. But hey, spin away. SMH”

Edited: “Scott Frost was Marcus Mariota’s QB coach from 2013 to 2014 (his sophomore and Junior year, 2 years and during their National title run). The years before that (2009 to 2012) he was Oregon’s WR coach. Then he had one Year with Vernon Adam’s (who had a solid year). Then he over seen and helped two years of M Milton as QB (one year was his runner-up Heisman season when they went 13-0, beat 4 Top 25 teams and 1 Top 8 team”

Last edited:
Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

They probably will soon and then people will be pissed if we lose him to one of them.

Oh no you dient!!

Best show ever. Putty (sp)? ruled to.

giphy.gif.cf.gif

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
so, having one struggling QB and so far no other options takes away anything Scott Frost has done with his QBs over his coaching career? No matter how you spin it, he still coached and developed a Heisman and runner-up Heisman QB. Now, Let’s be real here, for ONCE. Adrain Martinez has been the best QB we have had since Frost has been with the Huskers. He’s had no better options (if so, I’m all ears) and he’s gave Noah V and Luke McCaffrey both shots at QB and neither one could unseat him or beat him out. But hey, spin away. SMH

Edited: Scott Frost was Marcus Mariota’s QB coach from 2013 to 2014 (his sophomore and Junior year, 2 years and during their National title run). The years before that (2009 to 2012) he was Oregon’s WR coach. Then he had one Year with Vernon Adam’s (who had a solid year). Then he over seen and helped two years of M Milton as QB (one year was his runner-up Heisman season when they went 13-0, beat 4 Top 25 teams and 1 Top 8 team).

last I checked the WR coach doesn’t coach QB so what he did at that job has nothing to do with coaching QBs. He improved Mariota, I give you that and he improved Milton, again I’ll give you that. Adams was an FCS star and 28-6 as a starter at EWU. Not sure there was as much development there as there was maintenance. Regardless.....

Perhaps it is his poor choice as QB coach and perhaps it isn’t Frosts direct responsibility to develop QBs at Nebraska. I could agree with that. But Martinez in 3 years and McCaffery in 2 haven’t shown the progression as Milton or Mariota.

....and why does this unrated QB from San Antonio hold an offer from NU as a 2022 recruit?
Anyone seen him play? He’s apparently blown the socks off of Harry Potter and the hometown school of UT-San Antonio.

GBR!
Anybody know his passing completion percent, interception and TD passes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT