ADVERTISEMENT

WHO IS GOING TO COACH SPECIAL TEAMS?

We have a kicker on scholarship that will be returning from injury. He was really coming along in his first year and I think he'll do just fine. I expect him to be the starter. Some of the other ones may be capable backups.
I wouldn't mind seeing him transfer or walk on. In 2 years his percentage is pretty awful and his injury last year really screwed us. He can't be trusted.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I wouldn't mind seeing him transfer or walk on. In 2 years his percentage is pretty awful and his injury last year really screwed us. He can't be trusted.
There was more than 1 kicker that got injured last year. It seemed multiple kickers had overuse injuries last year, which to me indicates a coaching issue. I don't blame Pickering for that. Just one more reason I'm glad Dewitt is not coaching here any longer.

There are teams that have very good special teams play that don't have a full time coach. Dawson has special teams experience in the past. With the help of a full time analyst, he should do just fine coaching up our special teams units. Having a full time special teams coach isn't a guarantee of success. Just look at the results of what happened the last time we had a full time special teams coach.

Full time ST coach or full time coach, you said both. I don't believe you have to spend one of your coaching positions on a ST only person. Name all of the full time ST coaches Nebraska has had in the last 30 years. Bo did it while he was the head coach.

There are teams that have very good special teams play that don't have a full time coach. Dawson has special teams experience in the past. With the help of a full time analyst, he should do just fine coaching up our special teams units. Having a full time special teams coach isn't a guarantee of success. Just look at the results of what happened the last time we had a full time special teams coach.

Meh on Dawson.
To me it looks like we traded a bad drinking buddy ST/LB UCF coach, for another one, that just had a 1 yr break in the nfl before coming back into the fold.

So far SF brought over AT LEAST two coaches that didnt pass muster w TW and the other one that went o NC...off of his underqualified UCF staff.

There are probably more still on staff, we just dont kmow it right this second.

Of all the hires he could have made and w the open checkbook we have, it is mystfying as to why he brought Dawson
Back at all.

Save me the continuity crappola as well and find me coaches that can coach and recruit. Cause we have certainly not looked like a well coached team in many areas the last two years..and bringing back another drinkimg buddy retread when there were certainly better hires out there just seems really short sighted.

Reactions: oldjar07
Full time ST coach or full time coach, you said both. I don't believe you have to spend one of your coaching positions on a ST only person. Name all of the full time ST coaches Nebraska has had in the last 30 years. Bo did it while he was the head coach.
Only one that I know of and it didn't work out too well.

We definitely have some holes to work on. Frost bringing in Matt Lubick will more then help us fine tune our offense and I think year 3 in Chins defensive system might look a lot better as well (considering this is the first time in years since we had the same DC for 3 straight years and not to mention the talent upgrades we are plugging in).

But special teams still needs its fix/adjustments. We got some dangerous weapons at our disposal for return men but it’s all for nothing if we can not block for them. And we most definitely need to tighten up our kick and punt coverages too. Hopefully we find someone to fix our issues in special teams.

We definitely have some holes to work on. Frost bringing in Matt Lubick will more then help us fine tune our offense and I think year 3 in Chins defensive system might look a lot better as well (considering this is the first time in years since we had the same DC for 3 straight years and not to mention the talent upgrades we are plugging in).

But special teams still needs its fix/adjustments. We got some dangerous weapons at our disposal for return men but it’s all for nothing if we can not block for them. And we most definitely need to tighten up our kick and punt coverages too. Hopefully we find someone to fix our issues in special teams.

Love the optimism but I’m not sure our defense will look better. We lose a lot up front and our linebackers have shown to be nothing less than disastrous. Unless our redshirts or new guys can come in and play with fire, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of the same from the past 3 years. We’re still 2 years away in my opinion.

Reactions: headcard
Love the optimism but I’m not sure our defense will look better. We lose a lot up front and our linebackers have shown to be nothing less than disastrous. Unless our redshirts or new guys can come in and play with fire, I think we’ll be seeing a lot of the same from the past 3 years. We’re still 2 years away in my opinion.
partially agree with this.. we are replacing trusted guys up front and in the secondary.. next year will be harder to keep the points under 30 a game.. especially in the front half of the season.

If the offense doesn't get a huge upgrade, we might very well have a big step backwards.

To me, 2 years away is just code for when Martinez is finally gone.

partially agree with this.. we are replacing trusted guys up front and in the secondary.. next year will be harder to keep the points under 30 a game.. especially in the front half of the season.

If the offense doesn't get a huge upgrade, we might very well have a big step backwards.

To me, 2 years away is just code for when Martinez is finally gone.

My two year prediction is more about building the depth and getting those guys experience and also that’s when the schedule will ease up. We’ll be hovering around the .500 mark these next two years.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My two year prediction is more about building the depth and getting those guys experience and also that’s when the schedule will ease up. We’ll be hovering around the .500 mark these next two years.
Sorry didn't mean to say that was your inflection on the 2 year thing.. it's strictly mine.. a rather unfortunate one too, as I don't think it needed to be that way this year, or needs to be that way in the future.

But I guess if everyone is onboard for 4 losing seasons, just because Scott can't get out of his way to remove the loser at QB, then by all means, Go Big Red and lets all chant it together.

Makes me sick that people would resign themselves to being a .500 team.

err we're a sub .500 team at that.

Sorry didn't mean to say that was your inflection on the 2 year thing.. it's strictly mine.. a rather unfortunate one too, as I don't think it needed to be that way this year, or needs to be that way in the future.

But I guess if everyone is onboard for 4 losing seasons, just because Scott can't get out of his way to remove the loser at QB, then by all means, Go Big Red and lets all chant it together.

Not me, I am not gonna be happy with another losing season. Time to shit or get off the pot. Even with fairly low expectations, an average team, rated in the 50s, should get 7 wins. Stop with the excuses, let's go!

Can Frank Beamer come out of retirement to take the job.
The biggest thing that made Beamer a good special teams coach was that he had GREAT athletes playing special teams. They still had breakdowns in kick and punt coverage at times, but they had great speed on special teams. The first thing Frost went about doing other than signing a QB was to try to sign more speed. We were soooooo slow at positions that often make up most of your special team players. As far as coverage breakdowns go, the guys who returned kicks for TDs against us did it to everybody this year. When you have a returner with tremendous speed and the coverage in turn lacks speed, they make you pay. Iowa's kick returner had a kick return for a TD in their bowl game that looked pretty much exactly like the one he had against us.

The biggest thing that made Beamer a good special teams coach was that he had GREAT athletes playing special teams. They still had breakdowns in kick and punt coverage at times, but they had great speed on special teams. The first thing Frost went about doing other than signing a QB was to try to sign more speed. We were soooooo slow at positions that often make up most of your special team players. As far as coverage breakdowns go, the guys who returned kicks for TDs against us did it to everybody this year. When you have a returner with tremendous speed and the coverage in turn lacks speed, they make you pay. Iowa's kick returner had a kick return for a TD in their bowl game that looked pretty much exactly like the one he had against us.

I believe Wisconsin had one in the Rose Bowl that looked pretty similar too..

I suppose we could all wail and gnash our teeth instead? Maybe ritually slash our cheeks? We have plenty of time in the fall to be miserable 24x7.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT