ADVERTISEMENT

WHO IS GOING TO COACH SPECIAL TEAMS?

From most reports it appears to be an Analyst that is yet to be hired rather than having one of the Assistant Coaches coordinate the overall Special Teams. And that much is clear from no announcement being made with the filling of the Assistant Coaching staff.

From most reports it appears to be an Analyst that is yet to be hired rather than having one of the Assistant Coaches coordinate the overall Special Teams. And that much is clear from no announcement being made with the filling of the Assistant Coaching staff.

Even if they hire an analyst they still need a coach on the field.

This is all getting crazy with analysts for running, analyst for passing, analyst for special teams, analyst for the analyst. Where does it end?

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
Maybe that's a trick question, but I'll bite... with a winning season, regular bowl appearances, conference championships and more!

This is all getting crazy with analysts for running, analyst for passing, analyst for special teams, analyst for the analyst. Where does it end?

Reactions: oldjar07
giphy.gif

Yes and no. The analyst takes a ton of pressure off the coaches. The analyst can comes up with the game plan, concepts, plays, personnel involved, watch and dissect film. Then just need a coach, coaches to direct and guide things in practice. It takes half the work out.

"An analyst is sort of an assistant to assistants, helping out the assistant coaches in a given program who, by NCAA rule, may not number more than 10. He cannot actively coach, but he helps the active coaches work more efficiently by doing some of the stuff that clogs their wretched days."

In my opinion I think Special teams is just as important as offense or defense. I would have liked to see a specific coach for that unit, especially for how horrible they have been.

Reactions: bshirt73
Dawson is the only coach with special teams experience, I would assume it would be him.

I think it will be interesting to see what we do with ST and also if anything happens with Beckton. Right now Beckton is just coaching TE, it might be easier to ask a GA to coach TE (like Morrow did) or ask the OL and WR coaches to split it, than it would to ask an analyst to handle ST.

We're lying to ourselves if we say that analysts aren't on the field during practice doing some coach work. Just another thing the NCAA looks the other way on.
Didn't Kansas just get busted for that type of thing?

I really hope we end-up hiring Sean Snyder for this role - dude is a special teams guru and we seriously need the help!
Agree 100%, just wondering if he will be as effective in an analysts role, as he was coaching ST at KSU.

Analysts are a way to leverage your coaching staff while still staying within the limits for staff imposed by the NCAA. The top teams are all doing it. I would expect that we'll still have somebody named coordinator but an analyst can do all of the off the field game prep and planning. The coordinator will be responsible for the game day nuts and bolts of getting the guys lined up but somebody else will determine how we're going to do it. An analyst can always be a week ahead in game prep so when Sunday morning rolls around we already know how we're going to approach special teams for the next opponent. It's crazy to see all of the different formations and blocking schemes being used now on something as seemingly simple as a punt.

Reactions: headcard
It’s fascinating we could end up with a 5+ way place kicking competition.

That’s unprecedented. We’ve been loading up on kickers and it will be quite the battle royale to see who wins out.
meh. Hopefully ONE of them can put it in the endzone on kickoffs. Good heavens watching the bowl games and playoffs, we must have had one of the worst kicking games in the country this past season. I don't think that was all our staffs fault but man we have to have a GOOD backup IF our starter goes down.

I think it will be interesting to see what we do with ST and also if anything happens with Beckton. Right now Beckton is just coaching TE, it might be easier to ask a GA to coach TE (like Morrow did) or ask the OL and WR coaches to split it, than it would to ask an analyst to handle ST.

Could Beckton be given the Special teams coordinator role while Snyder is his analyst? That could be a scenario.

Reactions: headcard
Several of us have agreed to skype in when it works with our schedule..... It's going to revolve around a motivation and want-to. There will be special teams stickers for helmets and there will be special team songs/dances. Did I mention a big trophy to carry around after a good kick?

It’s fascinating we could end up with a 5+ way place kicking competition.

That’s unprecedented. We’ve been loading up on kickers and it will be quite the battle royale to see who wins out.
We have a kicker on scholarship that will be returning from injury. He was really coming along in his first year and I think he'll do just fine. I expect him to be the starter. Some of the other ones may be capable backups.

We have a kicker on scholarship that will be returning from injury. He was really coming along in his first year and I think he'll do just fine. I expect him to be the starter. Some of the other ones may be capable backups.

Most definitely. It’ll just be a full on competition with more options than ever before.
Pickering seems like the front runner when healthy, but he can’t be complacent

Just need that kicker’s scholly to be taken away. He has zero business being on the field unless he grows a sack.

meh. Hopefully ONE of them can put it in the endzone on kickoffs. Good heavens watching the bowl games and playoffs, we must have had one of the worst kicking games in the country this past season. I don't think that was all our staffs fault but man we have to have a GOOD backup IF our starter goes down.
Coverage units need to get a lot better, but having our starting kicker back next year should help out a lot too.

I think we all know what an "analyst" does. They break down film, tendencies, etc. This is nothing new and when you say everyone does it, it is more like the ones that can afford it do. How many other B1G schools have a ST analyst?

It's not yes and no about a coach. You still have to have a practice and game day coach, end of story.

The last good special teams coach we had was BO.

Most definitely. It’ll just be a full on competition with more options than ever before.
Pickering seems like the front runner when healthy, but he can’t be complacent
Waldoch was very accurate kicking FG late in the year. I will feel good about whichever wins the FG job. The thing is, neither have shown the ability to kick off through the end zone, if one of the new guys can do that, it would help us immensely.

There are teams that have very good special teams play that don't have a full time coach. Dawson has special teams experience in the past. With the help of a full time analyst, he should do just fine coaching up our special teams units. Having a full time special teams coach isn't a guarantee of success. Just look at the results of what happened the last time we had a full time special teams coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT