ADVERTISEMENT

Who deserved to be in the playoffs?

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
It's easy to say now looking at it from hindsight but here is who I think are most deserving:

Georgia - no brainer there

Winner of Ohio St. vs Michigan rematch - B1G needs to eliminate divisions and put it's two best teams in the championship game. Winner goes to the playoffs and loser represents the B1G in the Rose Bowl.

Tulane - sorry TCU, Tulane beat the Big 12 conference champion, therefore they are more deserving than TCU.

Tennessee - even though they didn't win their conference, they have wins over LSU and Alabama. They throttled ACC champion Clemson. Perhaps they should have a play in game against Utah, but I think they throttle Utah considering Utah lost to flipping Florida and couldn't even beat the 3rd best B1G team, Penn State.

The same teams that made it. I would rank them 1-4 still. Michigan and Ohio State handled that Penn State team that handled Utah. Both semis were great games indicating the teams were evenly matched. The big loser in the postseason was the Pac-12, their top teams lost to Penn State, Tulane, and Pitt. Only bright spot was Washington beating Texas.

It's easy to say now looking at it from hindsight but here is who I think are most deserving:

Winner of Ohio St. vs Michigan rematch - B1G needs to eliminate divisions and put it's two best teams in the championship game. Winner goes to the playoffs and loser represents the B1G in the Rose Bowl.

Tulane - sorry TCU, Tulane beat the Big 12 conference champion, therefore they are more deserving than TCU.

Tennessee - even though they didn't win their conference, they have wins over LSU and Alabama. They throttled ACC champion Clemson. Perhaps they should have a play in game against Utah, but I think they throttle Utah considering Utah lost to flipping Florida and couldn't even beat the 3rd best B1G team, Penn State.
Wrong Tulane lost to So Miss and UCF both at home.

TCU beat K-State just as Tulane did and Dykes should have ran Duggan on one of the last 4 downs on their final possession of the Big 12 CCG.

Reactions: donahues17

No Tulane does not deserve it anymore than TCU. Michigan man handled Ohio state and TCU beat Michigan. And now they are in the title game. Makes no sense why you single out TCU as the one who didn't deserve it.

No Tulane does not deserve it anymore than TCU. Michigan man handled Ohio state and TCU beat Michigan. And now they are in the title game. Makes no sense why you single out TCU as the one who didn't deserve it.
I didn't single out TCU. I also singled out one other B1G team. Michigan and Ohio State should have had a rematch for the conference championship with the winner going to the playoffs and the loser going to the Rose Bowl.

Putting the 2 best teams in the conference title game is dumb. We need to eliminate that title game best record wins the conference. That way the best teams can make the 12 team playoff.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
like I said, the B1G should just go back to putting its champ in the Rose Bowl instead of trying to compete with the football conferences

that way people can still delude themselves into thinking they could possibly win the big one, and some years the media will actually hand them the trophy

if michigan beat utah like pennst did yesterday instead of being thrown to the wolves in the CFP, the pundits would already be crowning them & they would absolutely be receiving #1 votes from the AP

leave the playoffs to the leagues that put football first

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
like I said, the B1G should just go back to putting its champ in the Rose Bowl instead of trying to compete with the football conferences

that way people can still delude themselves into thinking they could possibly win the big one, and some years the media will actually hand them the trophy

if michigan beat utah like pennst did yesterday instead of trying to win the CFP, the pundits would already be crowning them & they would absolutely be receiving #1 votes from the AP

leave the playoffs to the leagues that put football first
Besides the SEC, which leagues are those? ACC champ got throttled by the 2nd or 3rd best SEC team and the Pac 12 champ got beat by 3rd best B1G team. ACC and Pac 12 proved they didn't belong either.

Besides the SEC, which leagues are those? ACC champ got throttled by the 2nd or 3rd best SEC team and the Pac 12 champ got beat by 3rd best B1G team. ACC and Pac 12 proved they didn't belong either.
big 12. obviously.

SEC, ACC and Big 12 are football-first conferences, and their behavior, leadership and trophy cases reflect this. they also happen to win a lot of other sports titles, too, as fallout.

B1G and Pac 12 value many, many other things far above football success, which they deem barbaric. their behavior, leadership and trophy cases reflect this.

• Haha
big 12. obviously.

SEC, ACC and Big 12 are football-first conferences, and their behavior, leadership and trophy cases reflect this. they also happen to win a lot of other sports titles, too, as fallout.

B1G and Pac 12 value many, many other things far above football success, which they deem barbaric. their behavior, leadership and trophy cases reflect this.
The ACC without Clemson in the playoffs has become like a rudderless ship.

As for the Big 12, TCU didn't even win their conference. K-State won the Big 12 and got crushed by the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC. To be honest, I don't think TCU has much of a chance against Georgia. If they keep it within 2 touchdowns I would be happy, but style wise I think this is a bad matchup.

As for the Big 12, TCU didn't even win their conference. K-State won the Big 12 and got crushed by the 3rd or 4th best team in the SEC. To be honest, I don't think TCU has much of a chance against Georgia. If they keep it within 2 touchdowns I would be happy, but style wise I think this is a bad matchup.
FSU just went 10-3 in their new coach's 3rd year. they will be in the national conversation next year.

it's really hard to repeat as national champs. I expect TCU to give UGA all they can handle.

Reactions: moralvictories
big 12. obviously.

Just stop. Your OCD-like hatred for the BIG clouds your judgment just as your love for Mickey did as well.

The Pac-12 and Big 12 were completely exposed in the games you said actually count this bowl season, aside from lightning in a bottle TCU (which ironically needed a horrible call and the very rare 2 pick-sixes to beat a BIG team). Your predictions and playoff-worthiness statements about Utah and USC proved laughable, with the 3rd place BIG team making PAC 12 champion Utah look like a JV team.

Since the playoffs started, the ACC = Clemson, and the Big 12 = Oklahoma. The rest of the ACC and all of the Big 12 (including Oklahoma) have football trophy cases that look like Iowa's.

Just stop. Your OCD-like hatred for the BIG clouds your judgment just as your love for Mickey did as well.

The Pac-12 and Big 12 were completely exposed in the games you said actually count this bowl season, aside from lightning in a bottle TCU (which ironically needed a horrible call and the very rare 2 pick-sixes to beat a BIG team). Your predictions and playoff-worthiness statements about Utah and USC proved laughable, with the 3rd place BIG team making PAC 12 champion Utah look like a JV team.

Since the playoffs started, the ACC = Clemson, and the Big 12 = Oklahoma. The rest of the ACC and all of the Big 12 (including Oklahoma) have football trophy cases that look like Iowa's.
horrible call?

I assume you mean the long pass where the kid was ruled down at the 1/2 yard line?

yea, the horrible call you should be talking about is the no-call on the incredibly obvious pass interference that gave michigan the ball on a tipped interception the play before

michigan defender was beat on a double move & held the TCU the entire way then turns the receiver early - but, no call

whining about the refs when an 8-point favorite never led the game for a single second is pretty pathetic

FSU just went 10-3 in their new coach's 3rd year. they will be in the national conversation next year.

it's really hard to repeat as national champs. I expect TCU to give UGA all they can handle.
I looked at the 2023 draft board, and although it's not the final authority there are a TON of TCU kids that are highly rated. Just because they don't get national notoriety doesn't mean they don't have talent.

The same teams that made it. I would rank them 1-4 still. Michigan and Ohio State handled that Penn State team that handled Utah. Both semis were great games indicating the teams were evenly matched. The big loser in the postseason was the Pac-12, their top teams lost to Penn State, Tulane, and Pitt. Only bright spot was Washington beating Texas.
Correct

horrible call?

I assume you mean the long pass where the kid was ruled down at the 1/2 yard line?

yea, the horrible call you should be talking about is the no-call on the incredibly obvious pass interference that gave michigan the ball on a tipped interception the play before

michigan defender was beat on a double move & held the TCU the entire way then turns the receiver early - but, no call

whining about the refs when an 8-point favorite never led the game for a single second is pretty pathetic

Yes, I'm talking about the touchdown that was reversed. That was a horrible call that was the point difference in the game. Strange you didn't comment on the rest of my post.

No AD, coach, athlete, or real fan gives a crap about betting odds. Also strange you brought that up, unless there is some "wins against the spread" trophy I don't know about that you prioritize.

Yes, I'm talking about the touchdown that was reversed. That was a horrible call that was the point difference in the game. Strange you didn't comment on the rest of my post.

No AD, coach, athlete, or real fan gives a crap about betting odds. Also strange you brought that up, unless there is some "wins against the spread" trophy I don't know about that you prioritize.
that play would've never happened if the refs made the correct call (pass interference) on the play before

and real fans + boosters absolutely care about covering the spread. I brought it up because everybody expected mighty michigan to steamroll the big 12 runner-up (as reflected by the 8-point spread). instead, they never held the lead for even 1 second.

The question encapsulates why we need an expanded playoff including the power five champions and the best of the G5.

that play would've never happened if the refs made the correct call (pass interference) on the play before

and real fans + boosters absolutely care about covering the spread. I brought it up because everybody expected mighty michigan to steamroll the big 12 runner-up (as reflected by the 8-point spread). instead, they never held the lead for even 1 second.
Again, not addressing most of my post about your flops of opinions. And no, the only reason people care about the spread is that they have money on the game. Fans and boosters want to win, period; losing but covering the spread is losing, period, and no AD, coach, player, fan, or booster is happy about it. Again, your OCD love of gambling clouds your judgment.

Again, not addressing most of my post about your flops of opinions. And no, the only reason people care about the spread is that they have money on the game. Fans and boosters want to win, period; losing but covering the spread is losing, period, and no AD, coach, player, fan, or booster is happy about it. Again, your OCD love of gambling clouds your judgment.
my flops of opinions?

you think USC would've had the top WR in the country and surefire 1st round OL for a playoff game? I don't even know what your point is

pennst hurt utah's QB (very dirty play, likely coached to do it knowing pennst) with the game tied. "beat like a JV team?" okay, sure

I said in early dec that the B1G's best chances at bowl wins were the first 5 meaningless games (correct) and that they'd lose in the playoffs (correct) just like every year (correct)

which opinions of mine are you referencing that have been proven incorrect? they lost close games so they somehow "belonged?" didn't you just say a loss is a loss?

lastly - if you don't think the spread is any way indicative of how two teams stack up in the public's opinion then you're an absolute idiot

my flops of opinions?

you think USC would've had the top WR in the country and surefire 1st round OL for a playoff game? I don't even know what your point is

pennst hurt utah's QB with the game tied. "beat like a JV team?" okay, sure

I said in early dec that the B1G's best chances at bowl wins were the first 5 meaningless games (correct) and that they'd lose in the playoffs (correct) just like literally every year (correct)

which opinions of mine are you referencing that have been proven incorrect? they lost close games so they somehow "belonged?" didn't you just say a loss is a loss?
USC and Utah (both Michigan or Ohio State would beat them both, Utah by a wide margin). You love gambling more than being a fan...neither USC nor Utah would have been favored had they been matched up. ACC and Big 12 both suck in the playoff era except for unusual runs by a single team in their conference, but somehow you deem them as doing football the right way, whatever that means.

The conference champion should be in the playoffs is ignorant. So what if Purdue would have pulled a miracle out of their ass (they do happen look at when Nebraska upset no. 7 MSU under Riley). You gonna say a B1G East team didnt deserve to be in because they didnt win their ccg? Yet lets put Purdue in as the B1G winner?

USC and Utah (both Michigan or Ohio State would beat them both, Utah by a wide margin). You love gambling more than being a fan...neither USC nor Utah would have been favored had they been matched up. ACC and Big 12 both suck in the playoff era except for unusual runs by a single team in their conference, but somehow you deem them as doing football the right way, whatever that means.
so my opinion (USC >> michigan) is wrong because it is not your opinion? fair enough

did you know only one single B1G team has ever won a playoff game, despite having more chances than any other non-SEC conference? talk about unusual runs!

• Haha
so my opinion (USC >> michigan) is wrong because it is not your opinion? fair enough

did you know only one single B1G team has ever won a playoff game, despite having more chances than any other non-SEC conference? talk about unusual runs!
Bowls that you said counted proved USC and Utah didn't belong in the playoffs. I never proclaimed BIG greatness. You proclaim how awful it is and tout conferences like the Big 12, which has never won a championship in the playoff era, or the ACC which has only had one good program in the last 8 years. How the BIG is garbage and the ACC/Big 12 isn't doesn't make sense other than bias.

Bowls that you said counted proved USC and Utah didn't belong in the playoffs. I never proclaimed BIG greatness. You proclaim how awful it is and tout conferences like the Big 12, which has never won a championship in the playoff era, or the ACC which has only had one good program in the last 8 years. How the BIG is garbage and the ACC/Big 12 isn't doesn't make sense other than bias.
USC sat 2 of their best players. Clearly, that game meant less to them than I thought.

Utah’s quarterback got hurt. If you’d like to draw definitive conclusions from that, knock yourself out

The B1G has had one good program the last 8 years, also, and it has a losing record against the big 12 (is it biased to cite head to head records? Big 12 has been better on the field.)

ACC’s best won 2 CFP titles. B1G’s best won 1, despite many more chances. Is that biased?

What conclusions am I supposed to draw from those plain as day, objective facts?

Last edited:
USC sat 2 of their best players. Clearly, that game meant less to them than I thought.

Utah’s quarterback got hurt. If you’d like to draw definitive conclusions from that, knock yourself out

The B1G has had one good program the last 8 years, also, and it has a losing record against the big 12 (is it biased to cite head to head records? Big 12 has been better on the field.)

ACC’s best won 2 CFP titles. B1G’s best won 1, despite many more chances. Is that biased?

What conclusions am I supposed to draw from those plain as day, objective facts?
Penn St was up 21-14 when Utah's QB got hurt. They weren't tied as you previously stated.

Objective facts:
  • Against the Big 12, the BIG is 14-9 in the last 8 years. This year's record of 1-3 is the anomaly, as you have to go back to 2007 to find a year in which the Big 12 has a winning record against the BIG.
  • Against the ACC, the BIG is 28-20 in the last 8 years (4-2 this year). Going back to 2007, the BIG has a winning record against the ACC in every year besides 2016 (2-6) and 2007 (0-2).

Two CFP titles vs one? Boy, what a powerful argument to indicate dominance. The "number of chances" is a very strange thing to say, as every team in every conference has a chance to win it every year (equal number of chances for everyone).

ADVERTISEMENT