ADVERTISEMENT

Which 3 games will define the 2024 football season for Nebraska

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Well first and foremost it’s beating the Clarkeyes in the season finally, and not far behind is beating Colorado in a night game in Lincoln which should be a ruckus crowd in game two…

The third could be a few of preference like upsetting Bucknuts in Columbus or getting our first win ever against USC, but third for me is beating Wisky at home in Lincoln were we’ve had plenty opportunities in 2015, 2016, 2022 and last season in Madison..

Which are your 3 games that will define the 2024 football season?

Reactions: ADV1
1 (by far) - CU
2 (by far) - Wisc
3 - @ USC

first two are programs that currently hold long winning streaks against us and hired their coaches in the same exact cycle as we hired Rhule. these are true measuring stick games.

#3 is a road game against a more talented opponent. would be nice to not lose by 5 TDs.

nobody cares about the meaningless turkey hangover snoozefest

Last edited:
Great question. I'm going to say utep and Colorado as 1a and 1b. We will see really quickly if DR is the real deal and will be important to convincingly stomp utep otherwise the Husker faithful might be uneasy leaving the stadium. Colorado is also a must win.

After that I would say Wisconsin and Iowa. Gotta get those monkeys off our back. Win those means/meant that the rest kinda took care of themselves and we're clearly bowling again

Reactions: Zeke2005
The CU game is huge, but from there the stretch of Rutgers, Indiana and Ohio St is huge. I feel like Rutgers and Indiana actually could be pretty decent and definite losable games. You don't want to have a skid and after the CU game that could make or break our season.

1 (by far) - CU
2 (by far) - Wisc
3 - @ USC

first two are programs that currently hold long winning streaks against us and hired their coaches in the same exact cycle as we hired Rhule. these are true measuring stick games.

#3 is a road game against a more talented opponent. would be nice to not lose by 5 TDs.

nobody cares about the meaningless turkey hangover snoozefest
Good list. Season will already be defined before Iowa game.

Colorado, Purdue, Rutgers. I could sub in the Illinois and Indiana games. This team needs 6 wins before going to Columbus. 5 at bare minimum. Until we prove we can beat who we should beat, those are the defining games. Start 4-3 before going to Columbus and we could be in real trouble.

1. Colorado. It'll feel like a big, monkey off our back type win. If we lose it's a terrible omen for Rhule and staff.

2. Rutgers. This isn't the same old Rutgers anymore. They will be a good team this year and if we beat them it would be a very good win and it would probably mean we beat purdue, illinois, and indiana, too. If we lose it means we aren't improving and they are.

3. Wisconsin. As Kong said, CU and Wisky hired coaches when Rhule was hired. But beyond that, Wisky is a team we need to start beating if we ever want to enter into the 10 win zone. They have owned us thus far. (I'm not saying if we beat Wisky we'll have 10 wins, I'm saying if we can't, we never will get 10 wins.)

If we go 3-0 in these three games, it guarantees 8 wins at minimum.

1. Colorado. It'll feel like a big, monkey off our back type win. If we lose it's a terrible omen for Rhule and staff.

2. Rutgers. This isn't the same old Rutgers anymore. They will be a good team this year and if we beat them it would be a very good win and it would probably mean we beat purdue, illinois, and indiana, too. If we lose it means we aren't improving and they are.

3. Wisconsin. As Kong said, CU and Wisky hired coaches when Rhule was hired. But beyond that, Wisky is a team we need to start beating if we ever want to enter into the 10 win zone. They have owned us thus far. (I'm not saying if we beat Wisky we'll have 10 wins, I'm saying if we can't, we never will get 10 wins.)

If we go 3-0 in these three games, it guarantees 8 wins at minimum.
Like I mentioned if we beat Colorado, Wisky and the end the season beating the Clarkeyes it will be at least a 8 win season..

CU
Wisconsin
Minnesota
We’ve got to stop the losing streaks to those teams. I also think we need to be unbeaten in non conference play the poor starts to the season need to stop as well.

this outsider sees a 7-0 start. cu being the huge, get-over-it victory. then, 8-1 after ucla. beating the rival - iowa - would be second most important. and then an upset over either usc or wisconsin, third.

CU
Wisconsin
Minnesota
We’ve got to stop the losing streaks to those teams. I also think we need to be unbeaten in non conference play the poor starts to the season need to stop as well.
🤔Ahhh we don’t play the Gophers this year bud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT