ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Johnny Stanton?

Re: Here's Johnny

Originally posted by King Korn:
Hasn't looked to bad.
Looks like a QB standing in there. His accuracy has left a lot to be desired so far. I know its windy but man he missed an open guy on a play that might have been six. Personally I hope he sticks around and works on his accuracy. He looks more natural than Bush. Broekemeier actually looks better.

He's in this program 15-20 years too late -- he'd probably make a decent option QB.

Originally posted by 500mileRadius:
He's in this program 15-20 years too late -- he'd probably make a decent option QB.
Physically he looks like Frost. Big strong kid.

Originally posted by dinglefritz:
would you say he has the frame of say ... hmmmmmmm .... a linebacker?

Originally posted by jlb321:

Throws like one. His accuracy was really bad. Something's wrong there. He kind of throws it like he's got a sore shoulder.

He reminds me a lot of poor man's Tim Tebow, big strong guy that can run around but has poor throwing mechanics. I think he could see some pt at tight end but if he wants pt at quarterback he might want to consider a small California school or D2.

Originally posted by TheNewNU:

He reminds me a lot of poor man's Tim Tebow, big strong guy that can run around but has poor throwing mechanics. I think he could see some pt at tight end but if he wants pt at quarterback he might want to consider a small California school or D2.
IMO if he wants to play QB, he needs to stay here and see what Langsdorf does for him. He won't get any better coaching anywhere else.

those were along the lines of my thinking as well.. some sort of position change would be beneficial for him.. he's not going to cut it as a QB in this offense that puts so much emphasis on the passing game.

I thought maybe tight end, if he has good hands

Originally posted by Husk10:
5th string. Just a guess, but probably going to transfer.
Not positive he's a lock for 5th string over Broekemeier.

Plenty of ability. If he decides to put in the time that AJ Bush does practicing and watching film he could still move up the depth chart.

Originally posted by cubsker:
Benning pretty much called out his work ethic.
chivers-show-off-their-school-pride-for-college-basketball-27-photos-21.jpg

I love the crying over ratio in a Spring game. Of course all of the scorned fans are not capable of understanding what needs work the most during live action. Truly amazing the whining.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
I love the crying over ratio in a Spring game. Of course all of the scorned fans are not capable of understanding what needs work the most during live action. Truly amazing the whining.
Amen. It's a spring game. Enjoy the festivities, but don't over-analyze it.

Agreed. Not a pretty ball.

Stick around and be coached up or maybe an H-back? Otherwise dont see him ever being our QB throwing like that.

He needs to really work on his mechanics, unless this is something that can be fixed by a slump buster.

Originally posted by Charlie Marlow:
Originally posted by 4.6.3:
Amen. It's a spring game. Enjoy the festivities, but don't over-analyze it.
No, you've got it all wrong. Zac Darlington has been inked in by the masses...so we just need to get used to an anti-concussion helmet being behind center. Order the Space Balls/Great Gazoo helmet right now..
This post was edited on 4/11 6:47 PM by Hoosker Du

I prefer Spaceballs the flamethrower. Just think of the mental midgets we could clear out of the fanbase. We could only be so Luckie to wipe out those Drones.

I thought Stanton was an accurate passer coming out of HS. I couldn't believe how inaccurate he was today... Not even close on a couple of throws...

Unless of course, he's happy being relegated to running the scout team while still getting a free education (and a soon-to-be stipend).

Where JS is on the depth chart is a signal from the staff that he needs to put his head to the grindstone. Not too worried about his mechanics. Everyone jumps on him about that because that was the knock against him at the elite 11 competition. Do you think that TA, Bush and Fife's mechanics are that of John Elway? Seriously laugh at all of the original analysis around this place.

I think there are going to be a lot of surprised people by the time that the first game comes this fall. Unless Bush and TA can find some consistency and confidence, I don't see any way they will be running the show. I still think Stanton has all the tools, he just has to quit having so much fun outside of football and put football as job #1. Long way from BYU right now, and what everyone can take from the spring game is that spring didn't tell us jack squat about who will be under center come this fall.

This happens. A kid has success at one level but does not have the drive to excel at the next level. As they say, in college everyone is good.

Afraid you may be right Tim, can ' t see him beating out any of the guys in front of him!

He's in the pre-med program, so he's pretty busy off the field.

This post was edited on 4/12 4:39 PM by worldstarhusker

Originally posted by St. Anger:
What did he say?
I don't recall his exact words, but it was something to the effect of that JS needs to put the time in (implying that he currently has not put the time in) to get the small details of being a QB right. He was also very down on his mechanics, says he drops his elbow which is why he has accuracy issues.

I have known him since high school

Johnny's mechanics were always poor, but he was quite accurate in high school except on the long passes - his short to intermediate passes were money. I am surprised to read here that he was inaccurate with all of his passes. My son communicates to JS frequently...he isn't transferring from what I have been told. He is an excellent student who wants to be a physician. Riley offered Johnny as an athlete, but he had no interest except to play quarterback. I would be surprised to see Johnny change positions. I will ask his dad.

Re: I have known him since high school

Originally posted by SoCalFan:
Johnny's mechanics were always poor, but he was quite accurate in high school except on the long passes - his short to intermediate passes were money. I am surprised to read here that he was inaccurate with all of his passes. My son communicates to JS frequently...he isn't transferring from what I have been told. He is an excellent student who wants to be a physician. Riley offered Johnny as an athlete, but he had no interest except to play quarterback. I would be surprised to see Johnny change positions. I will ask his dad.
He DID in fact look better on some of the short routes later. Might have been some jitters, the wind or the fact that the receivers he was throwing to weren't exactly burners. He threw some nice shorter route balls in about his 4 th series. It looked to me like he was guarding his shoulder when he threw like a guy with a rotator injury would. Hope he sticks around and works hard.

I really thought he would take advantage on getting a new lease on life with the new coaches. Disappointing, but I would not be surprised to see him leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT