ADVERTISEMENT

Where I'm at

Quicker22

Nov 24, 2019
This is where I'm at.

-I used to be a season ticket holder.
-I want football. Can not stand watching fast break basketball on grass.
-Watching spread offense teams just isn't fun.
-I do not enjoy watching ANY football team that runs the spread.
-Why do teams run 25-30 yards East coast to West coast just to gain 2 yards North/South?
-What happened to bump coverage?
-I'm done with coaches that over think and get too cute.
-I'm done with arrogant coaches that think they are geniuses. You may be a genius, but if I don't like the product I'm not buying.
-If you are a coaching genius why do you keep lining up in pistol or shotgun and run a screen or dump when you need 1 or 2 yards?
-If you're a coaching genius why do you have a losing record?

I have voted with my remote finger and legs. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have only finished a handful of games on TV. Actually I have watched fewer than 3 games each season. This last Saturday I watched the 1st quarter and then took advantage of the 75 degree November weather and hit the golf course. I'm a really bad golfer, but my son and I had a lot more fun on the course than watching the Huskers.

This is where I'm at. The Huskers simply are not an enjoyable product. Sports is an entertainment industry. This world is not a fun place right now. I have nothing left to emotionally invest in this program.

This program just isn't fun. This world sucks enough right now. I don't need more misery from something that's supposed to be fun.

I listen/ watch about 50% of the games nowadays. I usually just end up having my Saturday ruined so I try to avoid watching too much

This is where I'm at.

-Why do teams run 25-30 yards East coast to West coast just to gain 2 yards North/South?
-I'm done with arrogant coaches that think they are geniuses. You may be a genius, but if I don't like the product I'm not buying.
-If you are a coaching genius why do you keep lining up in pistol or shotgun and run a screen or dump when you need 1 or 2 yards?

I have voted with my remote finger and legs. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have only finished a handful of games on TV. Actually I have watched fewer than 3 games each season. This last Saturday I watched the 1st quarter and then took advantage of the 75 degree November weather and hit the golf course. I'm a really bad golfer, but my son and I had a lot more fun on the course than watching the Huskers.

This is where I'm at. The Huskers simply are not an enjoyable product. Sports is an entertainment industry. This world is not a fun place right now. I have nothing left to emotionally invest in this program.

This program just isn't fun. This world sucks enough right now. I don't need more misery from something that's supposed to be fun.
Definition of a fair weather fan. Losing sucks, of course it does. But your team is your team through thick and thin. That's the way I was raised at least.

I grew up in the peak of Husker football in the 90's and I still watch/listen to every game. Do you throw a fit every time things don't go your way in life? That sounds a lot like how my two year old acts.
I grew up in the 1970’s I remember just like yesterday sooner magic we had them until the last minute it took Tom 6 years to beat ou I remember the 84 orange bowl I still won’t rewatch it. I’ll keep following the huskers

This is where I'm at.

giphy.gif

Definition of a fair weather fan. Losing sucks, of course it does. But your team is your team through thick and thin. That's the way I was raised at least.
And that would be bullshit. There is a huge difference between a fair weather fan who comes and goes like the wind, and long suffering fans who have stood by this team and it’s mediocrity for 20 years but who have just had enough. I knew eventually some idiot would come on here and accuse those of us who are voicing our frustrations with being fair weather fans. You can stick it.

And that would be bullshit. There is a huge difference between a fair weather fan who comes and goes like the wind, and long suffering fans who have stood by this team and it’s mediocrity for 20 years but who have just had enough. I knew eventually some idiot would come on here and accuse those of us who are voicing our frustrations with being fair weather fans. You can stick it.
There is a difference between voicing frustration and being yet another, I simply don't watch because we dont win enough/by enough points, person.

This is where I'm at.

How can you make a good analysis when you watch 3 games/year and 1 quarter of football? It has been a long painful rebuild but things ain't gonna suck forever. It's all upstairs for this team right now.

Yeah, I have better things to do then watch the same old rerun's of the Nebraska shit show . Some of us have lives and other opportunities, some of us don't. I could careless what another so called fan has to say about my loyalty .

There is a difference between voicing frustration and being yet another, I simply don't watch because we dont win enough/by enough points, person.
That is not what the OP said. You are inventing a straw man. I am 62 and I have been following Husker football, rabidly, home and away, since 1965. I have stood by this team even during our darkest losing seasons over the past 20 years. But I will not be watching us vs. PSU on Saturday. My wife and I got an invite to lunch for this Saturday from good friends and that sounds like a hell of a lot of a better deal than watching Nebraska piss down its legs and lose at home to the worst PSU team in a long time. In the past I would have turned down the invitation. So instead of calling people like the OP and myself fair weather fans, maybe you should step back and allow yourself to worry just a bit that the program is losing fans like the OP right now.

OP said he only watches a couple games a year, now, because the team isn't winning and he doesn't like the style of play. That is fair weather, for sure. Big difference between that and people like you and I that have supported Husker football through think and thin and are frustrated with the product on the field. JMO.

As for me, I have had the privilege of watching:
3 National Champions
2 Heisman Winners
The Greatest College Football team of All-Time
The Greatest season by a college defensive player of All-Time

Husker football has been a ritual in our family for generations and I will support this program through this stretch, wether Frost is successful or not.

Last edited:
Fair weather fan. No, realist. If I don't like the product I stop paying for it. If I don't like the movie I get up and walk out. This is all about entertainment. Period, end of story. Some of you like the conflict, the emotional roller coaster, the bickering between fans. Me? I've got way better things to do. It's been years and years of the same thing. I watched the 70's. It was rough, but not this rough. Watched the 80's and 90's when friends of mine were on the team.

This is not a good product. Has not been for a long time. We have gone through a revolving door of coaches, all trying to sell the same crap, but in a different pretty wrapped package. Every coach was a self proclaimed super genius. All failed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don't care if you are the Huskers, Ohio State, or Doane college. If you want my $$$ you need to earn it.

Time with my son on the golf course is something he will remember a lot longer than watching a really bad football team get spanked week in and week out.

Maybe try decaf, relax dude , I'm as old as you and just as entitled to my opinion

Reactions: leodisflowers
I grew up during the Devaney era need I have to say more.

This post is garbage and most be someone that never competed athletically in his life.
For once you and I disagree on something Scarlet. I think the OP is too hard on spread offenses and too sarcastic about Frost as a coach.
But he isn’t wrong in saying that watching NU isn’t fun anymore. Because it isn’t. I spent three hours of my life last Saturday basically angry, annoyed, apprehensive, and all tied up in knots. And for what? It really has become a complete shit show that is not enjoyable in the slightest. Frost needs to turn this around or there will be tens of thousands of fans opting out.

Fair weather fan. No, realist. If I don't like the product I stop paying for it. If I don't like the movie I get up and walk out. This is all about entertainment. Period, end of story. Some of you like the conflict, the emotional roller coaster, the bickering between fans. Me? I've got way better things to do. It's been years and years of the same thing. I watched the 70's. It was rough, but not this rough. Watched the 80's and 90's when friends of mine were on the team.

This is not a good product. Has not been for a long time. We have gone through a revolving door of coaches, all trying to sell the same crap, but in a different pretty wrapped package. Every coach was a self proclaimed super genius. All failed. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don't care if you are the Huskers, Ohio State, or Doane college. If you want my $$$ you need to earn it.

Time with my son on the golf course is something he will remember a lot longer than watching a really bad football team get spanked week in and week out.

Watching Nebraska in the 1970 wasn’t rough for God sake and it sure wasn’t rough watching Nebraska in the 1960’s when Devaney arrived..

If your waiting to play golf with your son on Husker game day then your not spending enough time with him in the first place, there‘s plenty of times to play golf during the year using Nebraska as a excuse to go play tells me everything as what kind of fan you’re..

OP said he only watches a couple games a year, now, because the team isn't winning and he doesn't like the style of play. That is fair weather, for sure. Big difference between that and people like you and I that have supported Husker football through think and thin and are frustrated with the product on the field. JMO.

3 National Champions
2 Heisman Winners

Husker football has been a ritual in our family for generations and I will support this program through this stretch, wether Frost is successful or not.
Good points.

Reactions: headcard
This is not about wins & losses. The teams of the 70's lost critical games that were a punch in the gut. So did the teams of the 80's. They were not a bad product.

This is a BAD product and has been for 10-15 years.

Regardless of wins/losses they just need to figure out how to make it a good product worth buying again.

And the OP is entitled to his opinion but you deemed it necessary to attack him personally by calling him a fair weather fan. So if you can go after him I can criticize you.
And I hate decaf.
Well we can at least agree on the decaf, in my mind when you stop watching your team because they are no longer winning that makes you a fair weather fan. Your definition is different. I'll concede your point on this though " So if you can go after him I can criticize you. ". Fair is fair

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I'm 35, grew up overseas so I never watched a live Nebraska game until the 1998 season. I did watch the highlights of the 90's run and tapes such as "Decade of Dominance"

The Crouch years were the highest point I saw Nebraska play. 2000 Oklahoma/Nebraska was the game I remember most. Then Colorado happened. :(

I'll still watch at least a portion of every Nebraska game. Against OSU, I turned it off shortly after halftime when Adrian gifted OSU a fumble return for a TD.

Read previous post. This is not about wins/losses. It's about product quality. It's been a bad product for 10+ years. Figure it out.

3 National Champions
2 Heisman Winners

I want the product to be better as well, but I'm still giving Scott the chance to rebuild. I'm not into rolling over the coach every 2 to 3 years. I'm also an alum and grew up mostly in the state. NU Football is a lot more than just football for me. It sucks being down, but I still have a lot of pride in the state and although I've lived out of state for a long time I still wear some sort of Husker apparel about every day and it is always a conversation starter.

For once you and I disagree on something Scarlet. I think the OP is too hard on spread offenses and too sarcastic about Frost as a coach.
But he isn’t wrong in saying that watching NU isn’t fun anymore. Because it isn’t. I spent three hours of my life last Saturday basically angry, annoyed, apprehensive, and all tied up in knots. And for what? It really has become a complete shit show that is not enjoyable in the slightest. Frost needs to turn this around or there will be tens of thousands of fans opting out.

I love watching any power 5 college football on TV and believe me Pennsy I was just as angry, annoyed and fit to be tied and frustrated when watching the game at times on Saturday but with only playing 2 games and waiting a week for the second and missing September and October Husker football I had to take a step back and realize this isn’t a normal football season.

Yes I agree Frost needs to turn this program around and fast but this isn’t the year it will get done..

I love watching any power 5 college football on TV and believe me Pennsy I was just as angry, annoyed and fit to be tied and frustrated when watching the game at times on Saturday but with only playing 2 games and waiting a week for the second and missing September and October Husker football I had to take a step back and realize this isn’t a normal football season.

Yes I agree Frost needs to turn this program around and fast but this isn’t the year it will get done..
Damn Covid.
But I want to be clear. I am hyper, hyper disappointed in a Frost right now. But it is insane for anyone to be calling for his head. He is our coach and will be for a long time. I just hope he can turn it around. But in the meantime, I just find it too painful to continue investing so much emotional capital in this shitfest of a team. I have to back away for a while.

Well we can at least agree on the decaf, in my mind when you stop watching your team because they are no longer winning that makes you a fair weather fan. Your definition is different. I'll concede your point on this though " So if you can go after him I can criticize you. ". Fair is fair
Well, our common hatred for decaf has brought us together. Lol.
Peace

Reactions: Anegada1
They can't and shouldn't fire Frost. He needs to figure this out. If they keep the cycle of coaches going the program will never recover. He's got 10 years to make it happen. I'm convinced of that. Can he do enough self reflection and adjusting to turn the corner? If he can he will be looked on by all Nebraskans as an all time great. If he can't he gets lumped with all the other coaches we have had so far in the 2000's.

If the product is good and fun to watch I for sure will watch regardless of wins. Hard to keep watching this product when you know you have no chance for anything. Can you believe we are at the low point of just hoping we can go to a bowl game? Never would I have thought the product would drop to this level.

Reactions: Anegada1
They can't and shouldn't fire Frost. He needs to figure this out. If they keep the cycle of coaches going the program will never recover. He's got 10 years to make it happen. I'm convinced of that. Can he do enough self reflection and adjusting to turn the corner? If he can he will be looked on by all Nebraskans as an all time great. If he can't he gets lumped with all the other coaches we have had so far in the 2000's.

If the product is good and fun to watch I for sure will watch regardless of wins. Hard to keep watching this product when you know you have no chance for anything. Can you believe we are at the low point of just hoping we can go to a bowl game? Never would I have thought the product would drop to this level.
Can't argue this and I probably overshot the mark with" fair weather fan " in this instance

Damn Covid.
But I want to be clear. I am hyper, hyper disappointed in a Frost right now. But it is insane for anyone to be calling for his head. He is our coach and will be for a long time. I just hope he can turn it around. But in the meantime, I just find it too painful to continue investing so much emotional capital in this shitfest of a team. I have to back away for a while.

I understand.. I don’t know when I will go to away game of course Covid is the biggest obstacle, but traveling to Boulder, Eugene, Madison, Champaign and Pasadena and losing every time has made it not as fun as it use too..

In fact the last time I seen Nebraska win on the road was in Minneapolis 5 years ago in 2015..

Facts are what they are, this team has lost 8 of its last 9 and there were some very beatable teams in there. They keep going out there and looking poorly coached. Stupid penalties like false starts, motions, formations. Secondary still running around throwing shoulders at guys, no arms, head down. Sloppy execution, piss poor run blocking.

They find ways to lose to anyone, regardless of the size and talent advantage they should be building by this point. They've been a mentally soft team for the better part of a decade and for all his tough talk Scott hasn't fixed that. Still a soft offense, scared to run it at people and trying to draw up ways to scheme what his guys won't go out there and take.

As the saying goes, "When someone tells you who they are, believe them." They keep telling us they're a losing football team. At some point you're nuts to keep sitting there and watching 4 quarters of that against certain teams. TV ratings don't make them win, points do.

That is not what the OP said. You are inventing a straw man. I am 62 and I have been following Husker football, rabidly, home and away, since 1965. I have stood by this team even during our darkest losing seasons over the past 20 years. But I will not be watching us vs. PSU on Saturday. My wife and I got an invite to lunch for this Saturday from good friends and that sounds like a hell of a lot of a better deal than watching Nebraska piss down its legs and lose at home to the worst PSU team in a long time. In the past I would have turned down the invitation. So instead of calling people like the OP and myself fair weather fans, maybe you should step back and allow yourself to worry just a bit that the program is losing fans like the OP right now.

Penny I agree with most of what you say, I'm still in the mode of maybe this week???? but I am pretty disgusted with the team right now, especially Frost.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT